• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kind of like Choas Warp? Maro was apparently unhappy with this card because it was out of the wrong color, but I disagree as it feels very red to me.

The issue with Chaos Warp was that it could hit enchantments, not that it could hit creatures.

The way I see it, red is supposed to have trouble with high-toughness creatures, and polymorphing seems like a good in-color way to handle it.

ElyrionX

You don't see the issue with the fact that there's only one black planeswalker that we know is still a planeswalker, and all of the main characters are super white?

Nope. It's a fictional setting for a card game. I don't self identify with any of the characters and I don't see the need to either.

I'm Asian, btw.

kirblar

Kind of like Choas Warp? Maro was apparently unhappy with this card because it was out of the wrong color, but I disagree as it feels very red to me.
The issue is the card whiffing such a high % of the time- if it worked like Polymorph it woulda been fine.
Nope. It's a fictional setting for a card game. I don't self identify with any of the characters and I don't see the need to either.
Sadly, the majority of people love their tribalism- see: pro sports.

It's why they so aggressively label things nowadays.

You don't see the issue with the fact that there's only one black planeswalker that we know is still a planeswalker, and all of the main characters are super white?

It's pretty bad.

Everyone should have to suffer equally from having god-awful bad Planeswalkers to represent them. No way anyone should get off that easy.

3rd place at the 77-man sealed pptq. People were calling my top 8 draft deck a 10 out of 10. I killed my quarterfinals opponent swinging for 22 through three blockers on turn 5. Mono red splashing white for bombs and removal. Id post it but I'm on my phone and I'm not sure how to upload photos.

Unfortunately i had terrible mulligans in my semis match and lost to a durdly eldrazi deck that should have been easy street.

Won a box, and there's no other sealed pptqs in my area, only standard :(

Bleh, really thought i had a shot to win this one.

He doesn't like Chaos Warp because it replaces its target with any type of permanent, and doesn't even do so every time. If it had you flip cards until you saw one that shared a permanent type and then put it on the battlefield I think it'd be fine, doubly so if you limited it to creatures.

I want more non human planeswalkers. A sphinx walker would be sweet.

Etherium was invented by a sphinx planeswalker named Crucius so it's probably just a matter of time.

kirblar

I'm gonna have a set of Chinese Kozilek's Returns btw, in case anyone's interested in taking them off me. (Bought em when it looked like the card was settling higher, had store credit and grabbed a english set.)

My top 8 draft

f25hhaU.jpg

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";193107164]My top 8 draft[/QUOTE]

Goblin Bushwacker hit me for 23 in a game despite having 4 blockers. Survived with 1 life.

Nasty card, sick draft. Didn't think anyone would pull off RW successfully it looks so bad on paper unless you get the double striker in the BFZ pack

Goblin Bushwacker hit me for 23 in a game despite having 4 blockers. Survived with 1 life.

People know something bad is happening when you mainphase Brute Strength.
Nasty card, sick draft. Didn't think anyone would pull off RW successfully it looks so bad on paper unless you get the double striker in the BFZ pack
Almost all my cards are from OGW. People really underestimate the power of Sparkmage's Gambit. Card makes the deck tick.

Seeing that deck, and almost losing to a variant, makes me want to draft BW exclusively.

Better to always keep above 20 life is the motto going forward.

And to get Felidar Sovereign in the BFZ pack.

Seeing that deck, and almost losing to a variant, makes me want to draft BW exclusively.
The deck I crushed 2-0 in the quarterfinals was BW.

I killed them through three X/4s. Game two I killed them two turns after losing my board to flaying tendrils.

It was a harder matchup than the deck I actually lost to, which is why I thought I had the tournament.

Oh well.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";193108319]The deck I crushed 2-0 in the quarterfinals was BW.

I killed them through three X/4s. Game two I killed them two turns after losing my board to flaying tendrils.

It was a harder matchup than the deck I actually lost to, which is why I thought I had the tournament.

Oh well.[/QUOTE]

Is it me or is OGW grindy af? Aggressive decks might be better positioned than they were in triple BFZ but everything else just seems to end with both sides either trading removal or unable to mount significant pressure. And there's enough reach and flying there's low chances to be just flown over like in BFZ.
There's not enough awaken to make you fear a sudden blowout in other colours than red as well.

At the prerelease I almost got a headache from a couple matchups

Ashodin

Yeeeeeeeep this is what one of the guy's sealed pools looked like at the last prerelease of the night I went to. It was GROSS and he has Munda as well in his BFZ pulls, fuck

FeD.nL

So i'm looking to upgrade my Mono U Tron but I'm hesitant on buying 2 Snapcasters. Do you guys think it's worth it? I mean I could sell a few cards and that could go towards the 2 but still.

ElyrionX

So i'm looking to upgrade my Mono U Tron but I'm hesitant on buying 2 Snapcasters. Do you guys think it's worth it? I mean I could sell a few cards and that could go towards the 2 but still.

Based on Wizards' recent behaviour, it's unlikely to be reprinted anywhere but in overpriced Modern Masters packs, which seems to be at least 1.5 years away. So yeah, seems like as good a time as any to buy it. Modern season is almost here and those Snaps aren't going to get any cheaper.

bigkrev

Snapcaster is the RPTQ promo this year, which means it's not getting reprinted anywhere else, and RPTQ promos don't really affect the price of a card. Your safe to buy.

Haines

Banned

How did you like expedite.

Im also high on sparks gambit but i was too much of a wuss to try it out bc im afraid to try agro.

Also, seeing that deck with 10 spells makes me realoze i need to ne more open minded with how many spells i put into my deck. I always try to be cookie cutter 17/6/17

Nice draft, wp

FeD.nL

Based on Wizards' recent behaviour, it's unlikely to be reprinted anywhere but in overpriced Modern Masters packs, which seems to be at least 1.5 years away. So yeah, seems like as good a time as any to buy it. Modern season is almost here and those Snaps aren't going to get any cheaper.

Snapcaster is the RPTQ promo this year, which means it's not getting reprinted anywhere else, and RPTQ promos don't really affect the price of a card. Your safe to buy.

Ok thanks! Time to pull the trigger I guess.

I see a lot of people building U/R prowess but why not build it RUG for CoCo and Become Immense?

Could even play Beastcaller savant since it's a 2/11/1 haster that fixes mana for creatures. NVM 1/1 not nearly as good

I was really, really impressed with Zada's commando during my drafts. Went undefeated with every deck that had him in it. Very good card.

Also, can you guys help me identify this card? I really can't decide if this is beta or alpha (I'm thinking beta):

It looks like beta, but if you want to be sure, line it up with any modern Magic card and compare the top corners. Alpha cards were cut differently than sets that came after and its really obvious when you compare them.

Santiako

I see a lot of people building U/R prowess but why not build it RUG for CoCo and Become Immense?

Could even play Beastcaller savant since it's a 2/1 haste that fixes mana for creatures.

I feel like green is the last color you'd want to splash. Either white (jeskai charm, monastery mentor, seeker, etc) or black (duress, painful truths, murderous cut) seem better.

It looks like beta, but if you want to be sure, line it up with any modern Magic card and compare the top corners. Alpha cards were cut differently than sets that came after and its really obvious when you compare them.

Yeah that's what someone else told me to do. The problem is, when I did it, it was clear that the corners were more rounded and displaced, yet he also identified it as beta...which makes the rule really confusing to me.

Thanks for the feedback though!

noquarter

I was really, really impressed with Zada's commando during my drafts. Went undefeated with every deck that had him in it. Very good card.

Also, can you guys help me identify this card? I really can't decide if this is beta or alpha (I'm thinking beta):

That looks like a Beta. Alpha's corners are even more rounded. To double check, just put this card on top of another current card, if you can see a bunch of the card on the bottom by the corners (like really notice they aren't the same) it is Alpha. If it almost matches, might not be exact but should be close, then it is Beta.

I feel like green is the last color you'd want to splash. Either white (jeskai charm, monastery mentor, seeker, etc) or black (duress, painful truths, murderous cut) seem better.

Both would be be fine but I'd really like to try the deck with Green added. The fear of being comboed with become immense alone should be worth it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Successfully dumped my Scalding Tarns on eBay. Definitely lost some value from the Twin banning, but I also bought Tarn to begin with for significantly less than I sold it for, so it's fine.

I really gotta list all of these odds and ends so I'm not sitting around with thousands of dollars of semi-random junk.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Oh, and he's my most recent update on Boom/Bust lol

Deck: Dark-Dweller Boom & Bust Zoo
w.gif
r.gif
g.gif

//Main
4 Noble Hierarch
4 Birds of Paradise
2 Lotus Cobra
3 Loxodon Smiter
3 Goblin Dark-Dwellers
4 Knight of the Reliquary
4 Tarmogoyf

//Spells
4 Boom // Bust
4 Lightning Bolt
2 Lightning Helix
1 Dromoka's Command
1 Elspeth, Knight-Errant

//Enchantment
3 Blood Moon

//Land
4 Windswept Heath
4 Wooded Foothills
2 Arid Mesa
1 Mountain
2 Plains
2 Forest
2 Razorverge Thicket
1 Sacred Foundry
1 Stomping Ground
1 Temple Garden
1 Tectonic Edge

Display deck statistics

I wanted to have a 1-of Planeswalker as a curveball, but I'm not really sure what to throw in. The options were between Best Elspeth, Ajani Vengeant or Garruk Wildspeaker. I went with Elspeth because I own one.

A have two quick questions about ideas for abilities that have been floating in my head recently:

1. Can a static ability check if a creature has damage marked on it or is this impossible because of layers? (I was thinking of something like "As long as ~ has damage marked on it, it gains +2/+1")

2. Is there a less awkward wording for the following reminder text? "Whenever a creature dies, if it was dealt combat damage by this creature this turn, exile that creature instead of putting into it's owner's graveyard."

Santiako

A have two quick questions about ideas for abilities that have been floating in my head recently:

1. Can a static ability check if a creature has damage marked on it or is this impossible because of layers? (I was thinking of something like "As long as ~ has damage marked on it, it gains +2/+1")

2. Is there a less awkward wording for the following reminder text? "Whenever a creature dies, if it was dealt combat damage by this creature this turn, exile that creature instead of putting into it's owner's graveyard."

There are cards that do things to creatures that have been dealt damage this turn already, so maybe something like:

Bloody -- NAME has +2/+1 if it was dealt damage this turn.

Or something like this:

Image.ashx

Daedardus

Does anyone think we'll see the enemy fetchlands return in Innistrad with the other fetches rotating out, or will they print something like enemy coloured fastlands?

bigkrev

Does anyone think we'll see the enemy fetchlands return in Innistrad with the other fetches rotating out, or will they print something like enemy coloured fastlands?

Def not in Innestrad- they don't want Fetch/Battle for Zendikar dual lands interactions their entire standard life. My guess is the earliest you will see them is once BfZ rotates.

Angry Grimace

0% chance for enemy fetchlands.

Enemy Fastlands are something that could exist in any set, so its hard to say. The enemy checklands are a possibility as well.

Can always use the vampire template instead

As in "Whenever a creature dealt combat damage by CARDNAME would die this turn exile it instead."
That's good, thanks.

There are cards that do things to creatures that have been dealt damage this turn already, so maybe something like:

Bloody -- NAME has +2/+1 if it was dealt damage this turn.

Or something like this:

Image.ashx
The second option is not what I've been aiming for. I want more something like: Ping my own guy, swing for 2 extra damage. My concern (or the reason why I even thought about layer stuff) is: What if the damage would be lethal without the pump, but not lethal with the pump? As it's a static ability it doesn't go on the stack so I don't know if the creature would die or not...

Damage isn't part of the layer system at all so this should work. It would be a lot simpler to go with "As long as ~ has taken damage this turn," though, and it works the same basically except for regeneration.

"Whenever a creature this dealt damage to this turn dies, exile it instead of putting it in its owners' graveyard"?

The second option is not what I've been aiming for. I want more something like: Ping my own guy, swing for 2 extra damage. My concern (or the reason why I even thought about layer stuff) is: What if the damage would be lethal without the pump, but not lethal with the pump? As it's a static ability it doesn't go on the stack so I don't know if the creature would die or not...

Hmmmm. I believe that because dying from lethal damage is a state-based action that it doesn't have an opportunity to step in until "after" the static ability is already applying.

Angry Grimace

They dont do any limited opening weekend of the set?

The Pro Tour is where they tend to do both limited and constructed in a single tournament. Most of the SCG Opens and GPs are single-format.

Daedardus

Def not in Innestrad- they don't want Fetch/Battle for Zendikar dual lands interactions their entire standard life. My guess is the earliest you will see them is once BfZ rotates.

When does BfZ rotate out? Spring 2017? I can't wrap my head around the new standard rotation. That's going to be a long while for much needed reprints, prices are already getting crazy for Tarn.

0% chance for enemy fetchlands.

Enemy Fastlands are something that could exist in any set, so its hard to say. The enemy checklands are a possibility as well.

Enemy checks would be a bit of a let down since I don't play standard and they are still in good supply and price.

Damage isn't part of the layer system at all so this should work. It would be a lot simpler to go with "As long as ~ has taken damage this turn," though, and it works the same basically except for regeneration.

"Whenever a creature this dealt damage to this turn dies, exile it instead of putting it in its owners' graveyard"?

Hmmmm. I believe that because dying from lethal damage is a state-based action that it doesn't have an opportunity to step in until "after" the static ability is already applying.
k, that males sense. Similar to how lifelink chimes in before you can lose the game, I guess. Thanks for the input :)

Angry Grimace

When does BfZ rotate out? Spring 2017? I can't wrap my head around the new standard rotation. That's going to be a long while for much needed reprints, prices are already getting crazy for Tarn.

Enemy checks would be a bit of a let down since I don't play standard and they are still in good supply and price.

There's also the issue that Enemy scars fastlands don't exist and its dumb in Modern that they don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom