• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.
When does BfZ rotate out? Spring 2017? I can't wrap my head around the new standard rotation. That's going to be a long while for much needed reprints, prices are already getting crazy for Tarn.

Enemy checks would be a bit of a let down since I don't play standard and they are still in good supply and price.
Spring 2016 (April) - Shadows over Innistrad enters, Khans of Tarkir and Fate Reforged leave.
Fall 2016 - "Lock" enters, Dragons of Tarkir and Magic Origins leave.
Spring 2017 - "Barrel" enters, Battle for Zendikar and Oath of the Gatewatch leave.

Haines

Banned
They feel it would cannibalize physical sales too much.

OK I understand.

I think I'm going to need to start taking a watch to my lgs. Some people slow play the fuck out of me as soon as they win game 1.

One guy must have took 10 minutes just to sideboard.

Another played fertile thicket, spent 5 minutes looking at the cards for God knows why and then when he passes turn to me asks if he can look at those cards on the bottom of the library again.

Just a couple examples. When I meet up with players who just use the rational time to make decisions check board state and make there plays I have a blast with the game. It just becomes unfun and unfair if I you get more time to make decisions and I'm just sitting and waiting.

Sorry. I needed to vent. I looked up the rules and it seems there is no time limit which makes sense but I'm just going to start to ask people to play a lil faster when they stall to think about everything 5 times.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Ok, guess i need to have some patience..

Why do the sets come out much later on magic online?

Prerelease is next weekend, and the set is "regularly" available starting next Monday, so its not that long.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I like how every game on this stream is "Rally vs. X."

Daedardus

OK I understand.

I think I'm going to need to start taking a watch to my lgs. Some people slow play the fuck out of me as soon as they win game 1.

One guy must have took 10 minutes just to sideboard.

Another played fertile thicket, spent 5 minutes looking at the cards for God knows why and then when he passes turn to me asks if he can look at those cards on the bottom of the library again.

Just a couple examples. When I meet up with players who just use the rational time to make decisions check board state and make there plays I have a blast with the game. It just becomes unfun and unfair if I you get more time to make decisions and I'm just sitting and waiting.

Sorry. I needed to vent. I looked up the rules and it seems there is no time limit which makes sense but I'm just going to start to ask people to play a lil faster when they stall to think about everything 5 times.

If you think they are actually stalling to gain an advantage, just ask them first and if they still unreasonably stall call the judge. He can encourage people to play faster since the other players need to wait for the next round too.

Post your eternal decks!

I need an excuse to show off the best deck in Modern :p

lvAKAnw.jpg

Joe Molotov

All my parts for Modern Burn are in the mail, Goblin Guides and Rift Bolts and what have you's. Bought a few Beta Mountains (Slate) because I was feeling spicy.

ultron87

Added a few fancy versions of cards in the full art Memnites and WPN Vault Skirges. Like both of those a lot. Only other fancy thing is a foil GP stamped Plating I drafted from Vegas Day 2 which is theoretically strategically bad to have in because it doesn't match the other three, but screw it.

I should probably get an english Cage for my sideboard, because I even forget exactly the wording sometimes. That just happened to be the only one the store had right before an event.

Haven't actually taken it to a tournament in quite awhile. Before I take it out again I'll probably change some stuff up. Probably won't have 3 Champions in the main since they're so bad against Tron (especially if they have Kozilek's Return). And with Twin gone the 1 main, 2 side Spellskites is probably overkill. Probably will cut some number of Master of Etheriums also, because those aren't great and I'm not sure why I even had those in the board.

I was shocked to learn that Glimmervoids are 40 dollars now.

traveler

Not Wario
Wonder if it'll be worth picking up some Reality Smashers towards the end of this standard cycle, before Crackling Doom rotates. Seems like it will be a considerably stronger card on rotation. If only the effect functioned as the spell itself was targeted on the stack too...

Wichu

Now that my Modern deck is banned, my only non-rotating decks are my Commander decks.

I don't really miss it. I played a few casual games and one FNM, and I don't think the format is for me.

Hero

Someone know what happened to Zhengdong Shan, the G/R Eldrazi pilot that made it undefeated most of the Open? Missed a few rounds, did he bomb out? Seemed like he was a shoe in for top 8.

Santiako

Someone know what happened to Zhengdong Shan, the G/R Eldrazi pilot that made it undefeated most of the Open? Missed a few rounds, did he bomb out? Seemed like he was a shoe in for top 8.

He lost 4/5 rounds the second day it seems. (Finished 10th with 33 points)

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";193135244]Post your eternal decks!

I need an excuse to show off the best deck in Modern :p[/QUOTE]

Awesome! Who is the Thoughtsieze signed by? The artist?

As for my two modern decks- Coco Elves and RDW- I'll be sure to post them once all the singles I've ordered have arrived in the post. So many singles ordered from the US! The supply of older cards in the UK is severely lacking, so the cost saved by buying from over the pond more than makes up any shipping fees!

Once they all arrive there's just some money cards to go, such as Spellskite, Blood Moon, Goblin Guide, etc.

Also planning some commander decks: GB counters/sacrifice (which I'll initially base around lots of singles I have with the pre-con), and RUG monsters/hydras, probably with Animar as the general?

Got the vast majority of my Modern deck coming in at GP Vancouver, during which I'll trade for what's left (Noble Hierarchs/Scavenging Oozes). Then I get to make a sideboard, but I think I've got most of stuff ready for that.

El Topo

Am I missing why you'd run Leaf Gilder? If we're talking 2 drop dorks, the Whisperer of The Wilds would be better, right, unless you're actively attacking which a ramp deck doesn't do.

Trades with a few creatures, can put on early pressure against some decks if necessary and/or attack planeswalkers. I assume that one extra mana from Whisperer of the Wilds was considered less important.

OnPoint

Todd Anderson wins Modern with Temur Delver? Didn't someone in here just say that Delver is bad in Modern?

Creatures (15)
4 Delver of Secrets
2 Hooting Mandrills
4 Snapcaster Mage
4 Tarmogoyf
1 Young Pyromancer
Spells (25)
1 Dismember
1 Izzet Charm
4 Lightning Bolt
1 Mutagenic Growth
4 Remand
3 Spell Pierce
1 Thought Scour
3 Vapor Snag
3 Gitaxian Probe
4 Serum Visions
Lands (20)
1 Forest
2 Island
1 Mountain
2 Breeding Pool
4 Misty Rainforest
4 Scalding Tarn
2 Steam Vents
1 Stomping Ground
3 Wooded Foothills
Sideboard
2 Grim Lavamancer
3 Spreading Seas
2 Threads of Disloyalty
3 Ancient Grudge
1 Dispel
2 Gut Shot
2 Surgical Extraction​

Post-Twin world already looking a bit different.

y2dvd

After tilting pretty hard at a pptq Saturday, I was able to bounce back to get top 8 into another event today. Unfortunately, my p1p1 was this beauty.

I say that because while of course lovely, I almost wished it was a bomb rare I could've played instead. Lost in the quarter finals. Gotten top 8 a few times now and can't win it damnit haha. :/ I even got passed Mirror Pool p1p2. No good targets unfortunately when I got it into play.

Now I will admit my consolidation prizes for losing was pretty sweet this weekend.

OnPoint

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";193202255]To be fair Todd Anderson is a Modern Temur fanatic and is also the winningest player on the SCG circuit.[/QUOTE]

True that may be, but that doesn't mean the deck isn't real.

Angry Grimace

and I hope RUG Delver is back because I have lots of URx cards to sell (I already shipped off Scalding Tarn)

Angry Grimace

I don't understand Mirrodin - Darksteel - Fifth Dawn as a format.

I drafted it twice and quit before deckbuilding both times. Whatever the draft strategy is supposed to be I don't know but the Fifth Dawn pack usually has 0 cards that look like cards I want in my deck because its all stupid 5 color shit that makes no sense in connection with the previous 2 packs and even Darksteel is sort of confusing it what its trying to add to Mirrodin. Waste of tix unless you're very familiar with the format, I think. I just don't like the theme to begin with, its far too focused on ARTIFACTS in a really un-fun, irritating way that seems busted if you happen to get the cards or heaven forbid you are allowed to play this synergistic bullshit in constructed (where bullshit like this becomes idiotic because there's a ton of Cranial Plating effects and a billion fucking artifacts including artifact lands).

Fou-Lu

I bought a fat pack of Oath on a whim (mostly for the lands), ended up with a Mana Confluence, Kozilek's Return and Linvala, as well as a second Thought-Knot Seer, a Reality Smasher, a Matter Reshaper, a Eldrazi Displacer and a foil Eldrazi Displacer. Pretty good for a fat pack I'd say.

I don't understand Mirrodin - Darksteel - Fifth Dawn as a format.

I drafted it twice and quit before deckbuilding both times. Whatever the draft strategy is supposed to be I don't know but the Fifth Dawn pack usually has 0 cards that look like cards I want in my deck because its all stupid 5 color shit that makes no sense in connection with the previous 2 packs and even Darksteel is sort of confusing it what its trying to add to Mirrodin. Waste of tix unless you're very familiar with the format, I think. I just don't like the theme to begin with, its far too focused on ARTIFACTS in a really un-fun, irritating way that seems busted if you happen to get the cards or heaven forbid you are allowed to play this synergistic bullshit in constructed (where bullshit like this becomes idiotic because there's a ton of Cranial Plating effects and a billion fucking artifacts including artifact lands).

The reason behind the 5-color shift in Fifth Dawn was precisely because they realized that Mirrodin was broken as fuck and didn't want to add too much that fit into existing decks.

Hackworth

The reason behind the 5-color shift in Fifth Dawn was precisely because they realized that Mirrodin was broken as fuck and didn't want to add too much that fit into existing decks.
And the reason it's such a hard swerve is that Mirrodin wasn't set up correctly: too much colourless.

Mirrodin is probably why we got Devoid, now that I think about it.

Ashodin

Yeah Fifth Dawn was an attempt to patch the format after Darksteel broke it super wide open. IMO Darksteel was a great set, lots of flavor, and I love the introduction of indestructible with the metal darksteel.

Darksteel Colossus is one of my favorite cards even today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom