• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyne

Earlier I asked a couple tips on how to sell cards, and I think I came up with a solution.

I really don't have time to sift through each and every card or send them out individually but I did go through all the major/pricier ones. The "middle" price for them all added together was about $2,500.

Craigslist in my city always has people who are buying MTG collections, so I figured I might use that to my advantage. My question to you all: How much of a discount should I put out to guarantee my collection gets bought all at once?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The Star Wars CCG is why I don't have any dual lands

bigkrev

I owned a billion Star Wars cards, but never actually played a single game. All my friends and I just collected the cards

The game seemed super confusing, and until Objective cards came around in Special Edition, not really like Star Wars.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Earlier I asked a couple tips on how to sell cards, and I think I came up with a solution.

I really don't have time to sift through each and every card or send them out individually but I did go through all the major/pricier ones. The "middle" price for them all added together was about $2,500.

Craigslist in my city always has people who are buying MTG collections, so I figured I might use that to my advantage. My question to you all: How much of a discount should I put out to guarantee my collection gets bought all at once?

I mean, you know how much you want for 'em. Set that price there and see if it works. Unless you need the money now. People get too fast with trying to flip cards. If you feel they're worth 1000 bucks, set that as the price and see if they sell. If they don't in say, a month, relist lower, making sure to change wording (or people will wait for further drops because people who troll for MtG cards online know how the game works).

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
did a draft last night with both of my rares being oath of jace.

opened up my pack for winning and it's
my third oath of jace :|

I bought four packs on launch day:

Pack 1: General Tazri
Pack 2: Oath of Chandra
Pack 3: Oath of Gideon
Pack 4: Oath of Jace

It was weird. Didn't even get the one Oath I'd actually like for my constructed decks!

Lucario

Start the listing at 80% of the TCGPlayer low price, but expect to get haggled down to 50-65%. Mid is mostly meaningless, except for inflating the value of a collection (so you should definitely use the mid prices in your listing.)

Try to get at least 60% low. That's the point where resellers wouldn't be making any profit if they value their time, but people who actually want cards in your collection would still be interested.

edit: Add bulk prices for everything you haven't individually priced to these figures. Double the bulk prices for the original listing; your goal is to find someone who wants the collection to play with it, not resell it.

Firemind

Start the listing at 80% of the TCGPlayer low price, but expect to get haggled down to 50-65%. Mid is mostly meaningless, except for inflating the value of a collection (so you should definitely use the mid prices in your listing.)

Try to get at least 60% low. That's the point where resellers wouldn't be making any profit if they value their time, but people who actually want cards in your collection would still be interested.
That's highway robbery.

y2dvd

There's always that one bulk rare you open most of in a set. For Khans, it was Harden the Scales. For Battle, it was Nissa's Renewal. In the few packs I've open from Oaths, I already own 5 copies of Oath's of Gideon lol. -_-

Yeef

did a draft last night with both of my rares being oath of jace.

opened up my pack for winning and it's
my third oath of jace :|
Things could be worse. One of the teams at our 2HG prerelease opened a playset of Call the Gatewatch in their pool (and no planeswalkers).

Lucario

Wasn't hardened scales $4 for a while? Wouldn't surprised to see it back there again, it's a ridiculously fun casual card. Made for a really entertaining standard deck for a while too.

OnPoint

There's always that one bulk rare you open most of in a set. For Khans, it was Harden the Scales. For Battle, it was Nissa's Renewal. In the few packs I've open from Oaths, I already own 5 copies of Oath's of Gideon lol. -_-

Did you sell into the spike?

Those three I'd be happy enough to open in multiples. When you manage to open Obscuring Aether in 3 out of your 4 prize packs at fnm, we'll talk about opening your bulk rares in bulk. My friends at the LGS use obscuring aether as a shorthand for unlucky bulk rare pulls because of the sheer number of them I pulled in front of others in draft and prize packs.

3-0d another draft. My direction was fairly easy with opening Thought-Knot and Reality Smasher in my OGW packs and getting passed 2 times the blue tapper and the uncommon 1 drop that let's you draw cards.

BFZ added an Ob Nixilis, the Converge flier and 2 Blighted lands in my colours oh and a way too late going exert influence.

Mana fixing is so free in OGW I could have played converge for 5 if I needed to.

Yeef

Have yourselves 90 minutes of real talk about the judge suspension fiasco. Summary: things went down far worse than most people realize and being a judge is suffering
http://judgecast.com/?p=930
Already mentioned.

This is a long podcast (90 minutes), but it's very worth the listen. This is the "tell all" about the judge's side of Spoilergate:

http://judgecast.com/?p=930

In short: WotC handled the situation worse than we know. They outright lied both to us and to the judges in question throughout the process. The Judge Program itself was strongarmed into punishing the judges even further. They still have not heard all of the appeals of all of the people involved. The judges in question are still not convinced that they won't quit in the near future (including additional L3s in the region who weren't suspended in the first place) which would basically make events in the region unable to exist.

Joe Molotov

Those three I'd be happy enough to open in multiples. When you manage to open Obscuring Aether in 3 out of your 4 prize packs at fnm, we'll talk about opening your bulk rares in bulk. My friends at the LGS use obscuring aether as a shorthand for unlucky bulk rare pulls because of the sheer number of them I pulled in front of others in draft and prize packs.

I played some kid at FNM that built an Obscuring Aether/Secret Plans deck. It was a sad day for him when he found out that combo doesn't work the way he thought it did.

ultron87

Definitely gonna listen to that. The Judgecast guys seem cool and were very useful for learning stuff when I was thinking about being a judge. (I ended up not doing pursuing it when my time spent at LGSes dropped off precipitiously for reasons, but still a fun podcast.)

Yeef

I played some kid at FNM that built an Obscuring Aether/Secret Plans deck. It was a sad day for him when he found out that combo doesn't work the way he thought it did.
How did he think it worked? Did he think he could flip the obscuring aether back up after turning it face down or something?

Lucario

50% profits for resellers

come on now

You forgot about transaction fees, which (on TCGPlayer) are over 20% on $5 cards, and 16% on $10 cards. Not to mention time and shipping fees, which are usually at a loss; I'd be surprised if a reseller who buys collections at 60% could make minimum wage.

There's a reason your LGS won't pay more than 30-40% for your collection. Magic cards aren't that liquid.

Lucario

over here, resellers only take 20-30%

Maybe I should recheck craigslist here to see what people are paying on collections; the market might be friendlier to sellers than it was ~2-3 years ago when I was buying.

If I could sell my Modern collection for ~65% right now, I'd definitely do it. I don't play paper much anymore, and it's way too time consuming to sell random $1-$10 cards online. Selling a $10 card on tcgplayer and only getting to keep ~7.50 after shipping just isn't worth the time.

20% on transaction fees is disgusting

Agreed. I feel bad for the people who try to make a living on TCGPlayer; their fees are worse than ebay for cards under $15 or so, which is ridiculous. There's no good place to sell sub-$10 cards.

bigkrev

The new name for the Magic Story feature is now.... Magic Story

So back when we made changes to DailyMTG's content all those weeks ago, one of the changes we made was to switch the name "Uncharted Realms" to "Official Magic Fiction." The change was intended to make it more obvious to new players what the column was about while giving it some sort of stamp of approval.

You were not pleased.

And understandably so. We tried to do too much with the title, and it ended up being a mouthful. Even more, it wasn't really accomplishing one of our main goals, which was to make the story easier to find. As it turns out, when people are looking for Magic's story, the search phrase "Magic Story" is far and away the most searched for.

So we might as well be as-on-the-nose as possible. What was once called Uncharted Realms and then, briefly, called Official Magic Fiction will now be known as Magic Story.

Look for the update to take place on our website before the next edition of, yes, Magic Story.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
"And look for our new set 'Cards What We Made coming this summer. Also, we're all of us 68 years old and how do Internet searches work? Tweeter us!"

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Coming Fall 2016: Fall 2016 Large Set™

In fairness, they're right. What's its actually called is irrelevant for anything other than SEO and "Magic story" probably gets them the most hits.

Magic financegaf: I'm trying to plan out how to buy at least a playset of every fetch land, ideally spacing purchases out over the next several months. Obviously they will remain in standard until April, when Khans and Fates rotate out.

Arguably around then there could be a small price drop as standard only players sell off in the next few months, but I imagine most players will hold onto them due to use in every other format/long term value. In addition the majority of Khans/Fates packs have been opened, so these cards have reached peak circulation in the market.

So whilst I'm not at all looking to wait for any possible negligible price decrease, I'm wondering how prices will likely develop in the 6 months post rotation. I'm envisaging a slow but steady increase over time, in which case I'll happily spread my purchases out, even if it means paying an extra one to two pounds each further down the line. But am I wrong to think this is how prices will develop?

Angry Grimace

I don't expect them to dip that much rotation, mostly for price memory reasons combined with Modern's increasing popularity. Off-color fetches continuing to be legal in Commander combined with off color fetches being played in large amounts in Modern gives them a better long term price trajectory than shocks did. Shocks are all $10 despite most of them being 1-2 copies per deck.

Enemy fetches are going to be gross from now until they see reprint. I moved a set of Tarns I bought at $50 for ~$85 each after the Twin ban (since I'm not using them anymore). I would continue to expect them to be pricey and in the case of the less played ones like Arid Mesa or Marsh Flats, to continually rise towards the higher end ones simply on the back of supply issues. Allied fetches I think stay pretty much where they are for the foreseeable future. There are a goddamn lot of Windswept Heaths floating around.

An-Det

They'll dip a bit like everything does after rotation, but with their prominent use in every format and Modern season starting in June/July they will start climbing up again pretty quickly. I'd recommend focusing on enemy fetchlands at the moment, then friendly once the sets rotate in a few months (unless you need specific ones for a deck to play, of course).

Sorry I should have specified that I'm talking about the friendly fetches. There's no way I could justify the enemy fetches sadly, they can wait for a reprint along with cavern of souls.

Thanks for the advice though. I'll probably aim to grab a playset a month then!

It's a really interesting cast, and would definitely recommend listening to it, just be aware it's a very, very one sided view (even more so than usual from Mark).

In fairness, the stuff Rosewater covers is probably most of his actual perspective on it. For events that actually involve Magic he would have a pretty good vantage point, but I'd imagine the bullshit Hasbro did around that license was pretty obscure to most of WotC's employees at the time unless someone got drunk and told them about it at GenCon.

My question to you all: How much of a discount should I put out to guarantee my collection gets bought all at once?

Unless you're in a rush so you can pay for rent or meth, try on the high side to start just in case someone bites.

I'm getting the distinct impression that WotC has run smack dab into the Peter Principle.

That started happening like a decade ago, we just get to see specific places it happens in real time now. A decent portion of WotC actually seems to be run by competent people (especially Magic R&D, Magic Creative, and Magic Brand.) The problem areas are all ones that Hasbro has sway over (legal), that are hamstrung by budget (organized play), or that are digital in any way whatsoever (the website, MTGO, Duels.)

It wouldn't solve the Reserved List or constant bizarre tinkering with pro play schedules, but I think if they just got rid of their existing digital departments entirely and brought in correctly-paid fresh talent off the street, the appearance of WotC competence would skyrocket. Other than Alexis Janson (who I felt like got railroaded a bit) I don't think they'd lose anyone of value.

Lucario

Was there a paper reprint of Eidolon of the Great Revel that I missed? Trying to figure out why it's 10 in paper but 25 online, aside from burn being like 12% of the MTGO meta.

If I'm not missing an Event Deck or Clash Pack reprint, there's absolutely no way it's staying at 10 as modern season approaches.

Haines

Banned
I kind of wish wizards would have better control of what the prices are like up here in canada.

If you go into a toysrus up here and want a fatpack. 65 plus tax.

And ebgames for a booster pack? 6 bucks.

Its really silly.

Angry Grimace

Was there a paper reprint of Eidolon of the Great Revel that I missed? Trying to figure out why it's 10 in paper but 25 online, aside from burn being like 12% of the MTGO meta.

If I'm not missing an Event Deck or Clash Pack reprint, there's absolutely no way it's staying at 10 as modern season approaches.
Burn isn't a fun deck to play and it's actually on the more expensive end of Modern if you don't count Jund or Junk costs. It's overrepresented because despite Eidolon being 25 online overall it's a lot cheaper online.

Ashodin

tumblr_o1oxup2pjx1v2vwxho1_400.png

Save a life, have a blocker!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom