• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if you could make non creature artifacts with toughness as a mechanic.

Something along the lines of Endurance 4 (CARDNAME can be the target of spells or abilities that target one or more creatures and deal damage. Whenever it does it gets destroyed if 4 or more damage are dealt to it.

You left out D&D in the second list, which does not fall into any of your categories.

lol d&d

Something along the lines of Endurance 4 (CARDNAME can be the target of spells or abilities that target one or more creatures and deal damage. Whenever it does it gets destroyed if 4 or more damage are dealt to it.

They basically did this with Ogre Enforcer:

Image.ashx

It's a fun mechanic for a card or a cycle but I dunno that it can support a whole keyword.

They basically did this with Ogre Enforcer:

Image.ashx

It's a fun mechanic for a card or a cycle but I dunno that it can support a whole keyword.

It'd allow for even more insane artifacts at the cost of them being much easier to be rid of and would make for an interesting new look for artifacts having the box on the lower right corner but aren't creatures and don't have any power. I'd like the effect to be cumulative like damage is on creatures though.

Endurance (CARDNAME can be the target of spells or abilities that target one or more creatures and would deal damage to them. CARDNAME is dealt damage as if it were a creature whenever a spell or ability would deal damage to all creatures. Whenever CARDNAME is dealt damage it gets destroyed if 4 or more damage were dealt to it this turn.)

With the amount of damage needed represented in the box lower right [4], worded like this it also gets destroyed if it becomes a creatures and is dealt 4 damage even if they have a higher toughness.

It is a handful though might look better if I cut the wrath inclusion.

Planeswalkers already play around with redirecting damage, so perhaps something similar can be done with those artifacts.

Endurance 4 (This artifact enters the battlefield with 4 charge counters. If a source would deal damage to a creature you control, that source's controller may instead prevent that damage and remove that many counters from this permanent. If there are no counters on this permanent, sacrifice it.)

Though really, it'd be simpler to do it like this:

Wacky Wall - 4
Artifact Creature - Wall
Defender
Wacky Wall can't block.
(Static effect)
0/4

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Got destroyed repeatedly against good match ups.

Constant land flood/screw.

Planeswalkers already play around with redirecting damage, so perhaps something similar can be done with those artifacts.

Endurance 4 (This artifact enters the battlefield with 4 charge counters. If a source would deal damage to a creature you control, that source's controller may instead prevent that damage and remove that many counters from this permanent. If there are no counters on this permanent, sacrifice it.)

But that's the issue, the whole +1/+1 counters and charge counters on artifacts does get tedious and boring after a while. I'd like a way that doesn't involve counters and that makes it a threshold instead of a depletion. I guess Withstand would be a better name.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't understand what makes this more interesting mechanically than just making them artifact creatures.

I think it'd be distinct enough to make it feel like it's occupying its own design space. There's less upside by them not being creatures and more upside by only being hit by damage spells.

If blue had a theme of animating artifacts they'd be less worthwhile picks for that colour. They'd be really hard to deal with for everyone but red. White could get cards like deal X damage to all artifacts where X is the number of artifacts in play, with on colour of self inflicted damage and wrathing. Green would be green anyways.

Yeef

Opened a Kor Haven expedition in pack 2 of the draft tonight when I was already in blue white. Turns out having a Maze of Ith that doesn't untap the creature is really good in limited.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I wonder if you could make non creature artifacts with toughness as a mechanic.

Sounds like a contraption to me. Basically, make them artifacts with a power and toughness, or PW style counters that aren't creatures. I think it could work. It'd be interesting, too. Of all the ideas floated ITT as of late, this is definitely my favorite. Feels flavorful, unique and a place with wide open design space.

ultron87

Red is already really good at killing artifacts, so why do we need a complicated keyword that makes it additionally good at it?

WanderingWind

Red is already really good at killing artifacts, so why do we need a complicated keyword that makes it additionally good at it?

If we play that game, why do we need more artifacts at all when red and green have so much artifact removal? Why bother with enchantments at all when white has so many good way to get rid of them? Enchantment creatures? Will never work, now black, red, white and green can get rid of them! They'll never see play!

Any keyword, until its been refined through layers of development and testing is going to seem complicated. Morph is complicated, but it doesn't seem so because we play with it all the time. Etc.

Yeef

Any keyword, until its been refined through layers of development and testing is going to seem complicated. Morph is complicated, but it doesn't seem so because we play with it all the time. Etc.
The issue isn't "is this complicated?" The issue is "is this worth the complication?"

What interesting gameplay does making artifacts with toughness have over just making artifact creatures with high toughness and defender?

ultron87

If we play that game, why do we need more artifacts at all when red and green have so much artifact removal? Why bother with enchantments at all when white has so many good way to get rid of them? Enchantment creatures? Will never work, now black, red, white and green can get rid of them! They'll never see play!

I wasn't using the dies to doom blade argument. I was saying that the proposed keyword doesn't really do anything besides making artifacts that are more vulnerable to a color that they're already pretty vulnerable to by virtue of their type line. In games without red it often won't matter at all and in games with red spells it'll just mean they get killed by their main deck cards instead of the sideboard.

So sure, it's possible downside you could put on something as a nob to balancd the card out, but it is a very small nob because it primarily changes things vs one color. If you're going to do something as dramatic and complicated to the rules as non creatures with power and toughness that can be targeted by spells that can't target them according to their rules text it should be for a really good gameplay reason. This just doesn't feel like it'd be worth that.

WanderingWind

The issue isn't "is this complicated?" The issue is "is this worth the complication?"

What interesting gameplay does making artifacts with toughness have over just making artifact creatures with high toughness and defender?

For one, those are fundamentally two different things. Creatures and artifacts overlap with artifact creatures, but that doesn't mean they exist in the same space. Yes, if we wanted to make artifact creatures, that's a thing. But that's not the idea. Creatures can be doom bladed, wrathed, block, attack (even with defended effects allow for this). They're just too different. I'd argue "just staple more stuff to creatures" is a poor way to explore design space, anyway.

We're talking about artifacts. A design space, by the way. R&D has had eternal issues with, as most artifacts eat into the exact design space as enchantments. So, one issue a say, PW style contraption would solve would be giving artifacts more room to diverge from enchantments.

Secondly, it would allow for a greater tweaking of power levels. An artifact that gets better the more it's "tinkered" with would be similar to creature's leveling up abilities, for instance. It could also offer splashy effects that require greater resource development, or be one of effects.

Thirdly, rule of cool. The people want contraptions. As long as they're made in such a way (Re: Artifact - Contraption) that they don't feed the Goyf, so to speak, I think there is a legitimate reason to explore a semi-unique take on some ideals already being used.

Fourth, it provides the opportunity to return to an artifact heavy set without repeating the same feel of previous artifact planes. This is the weakest of the arguments, because any change to the status quo could work here.

I wasn't using the dies to doom blade argument. I was saying that the proposed keyword doesn't really do anything besides making artifacts that are more vulnerable to a color that they're already pretty vulnerable to by virtue of their type line. In games without red it often won't matter at all and in games with red spells it'll just mean they get killed by their main deck cards instead of the sideboard.

So sure, it's possible downside you could put on something as a nob to balancd the card out, but it is a very small nob because it primarily changes things vs one color. If you're going to do something as dramatic and complicated to the rules as non creatures with power and toughness that can be targeted by spells that can't target them according to their rules text it should be for a really good gameplay reason. This just doesn't feel like it'd be worth that.

Well, you were using "dies to bolt," which is different, granted. :p But either way, saying "x mechanic is weak to y" isn't really a reason to not explore it. Enchantment creatures being a prime, real-world example. Same with equipment. Or heck, auras that aren't totems. MtG is wholly based on checks and balances with colors. Something being weak to a color is sort of what the whole color pie is about. You see the theoretical contraptions as not worth it, I see it as a reaffirmation of the very basic tenets of MtG design.

ultron87

That isn't what I'm saying.

I'm saying that this card:

Jace's Spitoon (2)
Artifact
4 tap: Draw a card.

And this card:

Jace's Evaporating Spitoon (2)
Artifact
Endurance 3

Are evaluated pretty much the same. And are the same card in match ups where the opponent doesn't have damage spells, which is a not insignificant portion of the time. So I don't really see what design space is being opened here through significant investment of complexity. What cards can we print with this downside that couldn't be printed at one more mana or by adjusting another knob available to development?

I don't plan to ever make my own set but any cards I theorize would probably be made to work in a specific environment. Withstand/Endurance wouldn't be supposed to make a splash in modern nor would it be supposed to supplant existing mechanics. The purpose of it is exactly for artifacts not to be creatures but be more vulnerable to not have the creature upsides nor downsides. They should still feel like artifacts inanimate.
Being a creature makes such a big difference in the current designspace I don't even understand where exactly you're coming from.

I can probably come up with a theme for each colour that'd work nicely or worse with it if I put more thought into it which I don't plan on doing yet.

The interesting gameplay comes mostly from what you can't do and what you can get away with because of it.

• you can't target it as a creature with exile, regrow, sacrifice, etc effects no matter whether to your benefit or not.
  • you can still destroy it with spell or ability damage.
  • you can animate it but it still dies to the Withstand threshold, or you can animate them but have it be tied to the withstand value instead of the CMC or predetermined.
  • you could make a wrath that deals damage to each noncreature permanent, or instant for that matter in colours other than red.
  • for conventional effects it could still be used like charge counters w/o the ability to mess with them through older cards
  • you could have effects antheming or buffing withstand
  • it could just not matter at all which would also be perfectly fine

These are just off the top of my head I don't know if they'd work orif they'd be fun but I'm sure it'd be possible to make a proper mechanic out of.

WanderingWind

I don't know what to say to that, tbh. You made two cards that are functionally the same. The way you adjust that is to provide two examples where the cards are not functionally the same and then talk about upsides and downsides. Of course two identical cards will be identical. That doesn't make a mechanic inherently the same.

And I'm more onboard with PW style counters for a reason. Fading already exists.

Angry Grimace

Inquisition being significantly more expensive than Thoughtseize is pretty funny tbh.

I don't know what to say to that, tbh. You made two cards that are functionally the same. The way you adjust that is to provide two examples where the cards are not functionally the same and then talk about upsides and downsides. Of course two identical cards will be identical. That doesn't make a mechanic inherently the same.

And I'm more onboard with PW style counters for a reason. Fading already exists.

What? How else would you look at the benefits of "endurance" without comparing it to a similar card without one?

I don't see the design space it opens up. The only color that regularly deals direct damage to creature outside of combat is red, which is already the color that best handles artifacts. Green and white will interact with them the exact same way as usual, and blue and black will still have difficulty removing them. Thus, you can't really make a card with endurance significantly stronger than the same card without it, unless you're specifically aiming to make red slightly stronger and black slightly weaker.

I feel like what you guys really want is "planeswalkers, but artifacts".

Yeef

• you can't target it as a creature with exile, regrow, sacrifice, etc effects no matter whether to your benefit or not.
  • you can still destroy it with spell or ability damage.
  • you can animate it but it still dies to the Withstand threshold, or you can animate them but have it be tied to the withstand value instead of the CMC or predetermined.
  • you could make a wrath that deals damage to each noncreature permanent, or instant for that matter in colours other than red.
  • for conventional effects it could still be used like charge counters w/o the ability to mess with them through older cards
  • you could have effects antheming or buffing withstand
  • it could just not matter at all which would also be perfectly fine

These are just off the top of my head I don't know if they'd work orif they'd be fun but I'm sure it'd be possible to make a proper mechanic out of.[/QUOTE]None of these things seem inherently interesting or fun. It feels like a designer's mechanic rather than a player's mechanic. Cleverness for cleverness' sake that leads to worse gameplay.

Not to mention, most of what you could be done with creatures just fine with a little bit of legwork.

you can't target it as a creature with exile, regrow, sacrifice, etc effects no matter whether to your benefit or not.
I don't thing this makes for interesting gameplay, but even we assume it does, this can still be done with creatures. You could give the creatures subtypes or have the spells care about something all of the creatures have in common, like "Return target creature card with power 1 or greater from your graveyard to your hand."

you can still destroy it with spell or ability damage.
Which is the same as a creature.
you can animate it but it still dies to the Withstand threshold, or you can animate them but have it be tied to the withstand value instead of the CMC or predetermined.
Again, this isn't terribly interesting from the player's perspective, And it could still be done with creatures by giving them a Doran/Assault Formation type ability.
you could make a wrath that deals damage to each noncreature permanent, or instant for that matter in colours other than red.
Colors that aren't red generally shouldn't be dealing damage, even to noncreature permanents. And again, this space can still be explored on creatures just by caring about a specific attribute, as seen on cards like Crux of Fate and Whipflare.
[*]for conventional effects it could still be used like charge counters w/o the ability to mess with them through older cards
you could have effects antheming or buffing withstand
This isn't terribly different from effects that buff your creatures' toughness.
it could just not matter at all which would also be perfectly fine
If it didn't matter at all, why would it even be on the card? A "vanilla" Endurance/Withstand artifact takes up extra mind space while not actually doing anything of significance that's different than a run-of-the-mill wall.

That isn't what I'm saying.

I'm saying that this card:

Jace's Spitoon (2)
Artifact

And this card:

Jace's Evaporating Spitoon (2)
Artifact
Endurance 3

Are evaluated pretty much the same. And are the same card in match ups where the opponent doesn't have damage spells, which is a not insignificant portion of the time. So I don't really see what design space is being opened here through significant investment of complexity. What cards can we print with this downside that couldn't be printed at one more mana or by adjusting another knob available to development?

I'd make it

Jace's Dildo (2)

Artifact - Contraption

Endurance

(3)(U)(T): Draw a card. Jace's Dildo becomes a creature with power and toughness equal to its endurance.

[1]

None of these things seem inherently interesting or fun. It feels like a designer's mechanic rather than a player's mechanic. Cleverness for cleverness' sake that leads to worse gameplay.

Not to mention, most of what you could be done with creatures just fine with a little bit of legwork.

I don't thing this makes for interesting gameplay, but even we assume it does, this can still be done with creatures. You could give the creatures subtypes or have the spells care about something all of the creatures have in common, like "Return target creature card with power 1 or greater from your graveyard to your hand."

Which is the same as a creature.
Again, this isn't terribly interesting from the player's perspective, And it could still be done with creatures by giving them a Doran/Assault Formation type ability.
Colors that aren't red generally shouldn't be dealing damage, even to noncreature permanents. And again, this space can still be explored on creatures just by caring about a specific attribute, as seen on cards like Crux of Fate and Whipflare.
This isn't terribly different from effects that buff your creatures' toughness.
If it didn't matter at all, why would it even be on the card? A "vanilla" Endurance/Withstand artifact takes up extra mind space while not actually doing anything of significance that's different than a run-of-the-mill wall.

Possibly they are no fun I haven't played with them nor have I created a limited environment for them.

It'd be on an artifact world so are you suggesting multiple artifact tribals?

The point is being the same as a creature in this case but not in others

Why isn't it interesting from a gamers perspective? Say a player has a powerful artifact and a regular artifact with endurance 2. If he could animate 1 artifact to a 3/3. He now has a choice between making his more powerful artifact a 3/3 or his less powerful effectively a 3/2. I can see how that could be unfun though.

Colors that aren't red have historically occasionally, or in the case of white frequently though conditionally, dealt damage. White also gets destroy tapped creature effects so I think a "CARDNAME deals 2 damage to target tapped permanent" could be feasible even.

It's different from buffing creatures because it doesn't simultaneously buff creatures.

I said it wouldn't be an issue if it didn't matter whatsoever. You could play limited mirrodin and neither player really care about there being or not being artifacts, not saying it's likely so but it could happen.

Meanwhile I have decided to make the follow up mechanic in the tiny set "Damaged", akin renowned. Just negatively.

Angry Grimace

What? How else would you look at the benefits of "endurance" without comparing it to a similar card without one?

I don't see the design space it opens up. The only color that regularly deals direct damage to creature outside of combat is red, which is already the color that best handles artifacts. Green and white will interact with them the exact same way as usual, and blue and black will still have difficulty removing them. Thus, you can't really make a card with endurance significantly stronger than the same card without it, unless you're specifically aiming to make red slightly stronger and black slightly weaker.

I feel like what you guys really want is "planeswalkers, but artifacts".

Karn Liberated (7)
Artifact Planeswalker - Karn
=V

First online draft. Picked the Baloth pack 1 and then got chandra pack 2 and after just value drafting I decided to shift gears to jund because I wanted to play her.

Damn she's a beater. First round took me 10 minutes because my opponent got screwed.

Edit: 1-1 and mostly because I thought oblivion strike was an instant, I'm too dumb for my wallet. RTFC

Edit 2:2-1 but didn't get to play much, got a money mythic so pretty much just free playpoints but a bummer nonetheless, after all how often do you get the chance to play with Chandra in limited

Haines

Banned
So frustrated. Paid an extra 6 dollars for parking to play at a different store that runs 2 pods of 8. I really want to play magic as intended and bit the bullet so I could try.

Get there and the decide they to open a 3rd pod and it only has 6 and throw me in it.

I was the 4th person to call and get on the list but they do it at random.

If your store advertises to pods of 8 and you open a third that seems fair the late people go into it.

It should not be this hard for me to play magic as intended. It's becoming a joke. On the second week of drafts no less!

Might have to bow out of magic as I've been put into 3 6 man drafts now and they are gross.

Got second and two packs.

Okay something's up when you can get 3 walker of wastes but only 1 waste...

Edit: I bet I'm the first idiot to draft 3 colours + colourless w/o any converge. I passed a skyrider elf and a bring to light even

Haines

Banned
Okay something's up when you can get 3 walker of wastes but only 1 waste...

Edit: I bet I'm the first idiot to draft 3 colours + colourless w/o any converge. I passed a skyrider elf and a bring to light even

Lol oh man.

Out of curiousity what do these drafts cost you?

Last night i wouldnt take a waste even when i could use colorless activations. I ended up with a blighted and two of those translators that pay life and scions from a summoner, grave birthing and birthing hulk

Hindesight, one might have been good to take bc i had really good activations, as the set does by default, but i just hate wastes.

Lol oh man.

Out of curiousity what do these drafts cost you?

Last night i wouldnt take a waste even when i could use colorless activations. I ended up with a blighted and two of those translators that pay life and scions from a summoner, grave birthing and birthing hulk

Hindesight, one might have been good to take bc i had really good activations, as the set does by default, but i just hate wastes.

15€ was the original buy in, opened a chandra and won 2 out of 3 matches and sold the prizepacks + cards for 17 or 18 tickets. The next drat I sold Oath of Nissa and Drana + the pack from going 1-2 for 11 tickets, this draft I opened a thought knot seer that makes the draft free already + 2 manlands a battleland and Omnath, who isn't worth anything. Also Reflector Mage and Stormchaser are each more than a ticket.

Surprisingly the deck works, it ramps fairly quickly but has literally nothing against flyers. Luckily my opponent only played a BW flyer support deck and only transgress my mind two times in two games on turn 2.

The current draft, currently 0-1, cautiously optimistic. Need to show the lands to truly convey the insanity.

The draft before that

The boardstate in the last game lol

Haines

Banned
Huh. Yeah I spose its better to play early when you can get better tickets for your stuff while its hot. If you get lucky and get a bit of money.

ironmang

Speaking of mtgo, I'm looking to get some good oath limited practice in for GP DC. What's the least shitty way value-wise to do it online? Draft is probably the best for practice since you're evaluating so many cards but drafts always feel like a money pit to me. I remember release sealed used to be great value, that still true?

Only counting packs won and not stuff I pull since I almost always pull garbage.

Haines

Banned
I think you basically have to just commit to what it costs and if you get lucky you might earn a free draft at best from what I can tell.

I also don't feel its as similar to a real draft BC you can basically build your deck as you draft which isn't very realistic I dint think.

These guys that play it a ton would have a better answer.

If you go the lrcast Reddit there is really good post about the value you will get back from oath magic online stuff which is probably exactly what info you want

Angry Grimace

I think you basically have to just commit to what it costs and if you get lucky you might earn a free draft at best from what I can tell.

I also don't feel its as similar to a real draft BC you can basically build your deck as you draft which isn't very realistic I dint think.

These guys that play it a ton would have a better answer.

If you go the lrcast Reddit there is really good post about the value you will get back from oath magic online stuff which is probably exactly what info you want

You can just not do that, but limited GPs aren't draft format on the first day anyways, they're sealed.

Angry Grimace

I was talking to someone yesterday and he was asking why I wasn't entering the regional whatever, and I was like "I don't know" but the actual answer is the same reason I decline almost every big event: "I quit every game where I flood or screw for 3 or more turns"

It's calculated to lose me a lot of money in events, but I don't care. I don't want to play without land or with nothing but land.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";193755347]Were you splashing the manlands or the double color rare?[/QUOTE]

Both everything but green and colourless was a splash, 'twas a glorious mess.

Can you imagine I couldn't even play Omnath for like 4 more turns because I was lacking green, green the one colour 70% of my deck is.

This draft boring UW

No value rare. Don't know if I even picked a single rare except the foil blight herder.The rares I opened were back to back Sifter of Skulls. The same fucking bulk rare.

Angry Grimace

My experience with Oath draft has been tied up a lot in getting blown out by Thought-Knot Seers or Reality Smashers.

No value rare. Don't know if I even picked a single rare except the foil blight herder.The rares I opened were back to back Sifter of Skulls. The same fucking bulk rare.
Still better than passing a World Breaker p2p1 at a pptq top 8 then losing to it in the semifinals despite playing mono red due to mulligans plus mana screw.

Yeah I'm still salty.

Haines

Banned
I was talking to someone yesterday and he was asking why I wasn't entering the regional whatever, and I was like "I don't know" but the actual answer is the same reason I decline almost every big event: "I quit every game where I flood or screw for 3 or more turns"

It's calculated to lose me a lot of money in events, but I don't care. I don't want to play without land or with nothing but land.

You need to play hearthstone. Rainbow Land every turn! Hehe

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";193757750]Still better than passing a World Breaker p2p1 at a pptq top 8 then losing to it in the semifinals despite playing mono red due to mulligans plus mana screw.

Yeah I'm still salty.[/QUOTE]

Now I'm salty lost against a UR deck just creatures and removal. Had the game somewhat in control again when he plays expedite, draws a card not only is it a land for his landfaller but it's a waste for Kozilek's maw it also enabled the surge cost for the removal spell he hit one of my blockers with. Then he casts the divination and draws adverse condition to tap down the 2 blockers I played next turn.

Not sure you could have stacked the deck any better if you wanted to.

Oh yeah first pick Goblin Dark Dwellers into 2nd pick reckless bushwacker

Stop making me want to draft Oath!

Resolute Blademaster after drafting RW, aw yiss.

Edit: 2 Resolute blademasters back to back, followed by the trampler. BFZ pack was in this order from pick 1 rally haste, double strike, double strike, trample, tap. Stop my pants are already wet.

Only missing a Zada

Edit 2: 2-0 in 8 minutes. Haste ally into trample ally into tap ally and it's ove

You are pretty good at drafting lol

So many people dont want green when ive played this format and im happy to take it

Nah for some reason RW was just open as fuck and the BFZ packs insane. Literally no one among 3 people next to me had to be in red or white creature heavy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom