• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

noquarter

I kind of wish wizards would have better control of what the prices are like up here in canada.

If you go into a toysrus up here and want a fatpack. 65 plus tax.

And ebgames for a booster pack? 6 bucks.

Its really silly.

Toys R Us is really bad here as well, think it is like $50 or so for a fat pack there and right around $5 for a booster. Walmart and Target recently raised their prices as well and are $42 for fat packs and $4.20 a booster.

Not sure what Gamestop usually charges, but last time I bought Magic from them they had clearance Theros fatpacks at like $15 each. Bought all that they had.

I kind of wish wizards would have better control of what the prices are like up here in canada.

If you go into a toysrus up here and want a fatpack. 65 plus tax.

And ebgames for a booster pack? 6 bucks.

Its really silly.

I pre-ordered mine from FaceToFace games (Quebec) for 49.99 CAN + Tax + Shipping. Two came to $100. I see they've raised their prices to 59.99, but it might be worth a look.

http://www.facetofacegames.com/catalog/magic_sealed_product-fat_packs/105

Haines

Banned
Seems very strong. For 3 mana you can block something and prevent damage to another creature which could let you kill the other dudes creature.

Ovbiously thats a perfect scenario and i think thats the key to a good card. Strong in a perfect storm but otherwise maybe you are ok if it falls flat for its mana cost.

I like it.

Just opened 2x fat pack. Got away with pretty nice loots: -

Kozilek's Return
Nissa,Voice of Zendikar
Crush of Tentacles
Worldbreaker
Mystic Gate (!!!!)

3 Thought-Knot Seer
3 Reality Smasher
3 Eldrazi Displacer
2 Sylvan Advocate
3 Wasteland Strangler
2 Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim
4 Siege Rhino
3 Den Protector

2 Abzan Charm
3 Oath of Nissa
2 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
2 Nissa, Voice of Zendikar
1 Ob Nixilis, Reignited
2 Sorin, Solemn Visitor

2 Shambling Vent
2 Hissing Quagmire
4 Windswept Heath
1 Canopy Vista
3 Forest
1 Plains
4 Caves of Koilos
4 Llanowar Wastes
1 Ruins of Oran-Rief
3 Crumbling Vestige
2 Sandsteppe Citadel

I'm not crazy in thinking this could be a deck, right?

I've been brewing tonight. I've got, like, three more that I'm evaluating right now. But I'm heavily considering sleeving this up for tomorrow.

Wichu

3 whole mythics in a box seems much shittier than what I'm used to. Luckily there was a foil Kozilek's Return in there too.
Count yourself lucky. The first MTG box I ever opened with my friends had two mythics - Rakdos's Return and Trostani.

plus one of each shockland but w/e

EDIT:
I played some kid at FNM that built an Obscuring Aether/Secret Plans deck. It was a sad day for him when he found out that combo doesn't work the way he thought it did.
What's the 'combo'? I assume the kid thought he could flip Aether face up again?

That said, the morph deck is super fun and not actually god-awful with Obscuring Aether. It loses hard to Abzan (Wingmate Roc is unbeatable because you can't 2-for-1 it), but is fairly decent against everything else.

y2dvd

tumblr_o1oxup2pjx1v2vwxho1_400.png

Save a life, have a blocker!

This card would be too busted. It's already a huge blocker, and to prevent all dmg to target creature? Bye bye pump decks. That's a 2 for 1 if it has a 2nd creature to block. Flash puts it over the top because now you can leave counter magic up. Should be a 0/3 and prevent 1 dmg from target creature if it's still gonna have flash.

Lucario

Working on a very silly modern deck: Enduring Renewal combo. It's bad, but it's so much better than I could get it to be before Hangarback Walker and Endless One were printed. No more running Wild Cantor!

Image.ashx
+
Image.ashx

Current version is a Soul Sisters shell with a Ranger of Eos combo package. Resolve the Ranger to tutor for Hangarback Walker and either Disciple of the Vault or a Soul Sister. Next turn, untap to gain infinite life or deal infinite damage. The goal is to make the deck synergistic enough that Enduring Renewal isn't a dead card when I don't have a Ranger.

After some practice games, I came to the same realization SaffronOlive did with his Worship lists; there is very little dedicated enchantment removal in Modern right now, and Abrupt Decay won't hit my 4cc Enchantment. So I tossed in some copies of Kami of False Hope to give myself infinite fogs, and put the Martyr of Sands/Serra Ascendant package back in.

I've only run it through one league so far (3-2), but here's my list:

Code:
1 Disciple of the Vault
2 Kami of False Hope
3 Serra Ascendant
4 Martyr of Sands
4 Soul Warden
4 Soul's Attendant
4 Path to Exile

4 Honor of the Pure
4 Ajani's Pridemate

4 Lingering Souls
1 Spectral Procession

3 Enduring Renewal
2 Ranger of Eos

2 Hangarback Walker

4 Marsh Flats
3 Godless Shrine
1 Swamp
10 Plains
1 Windbrisk Heights
4 Ghost Quarter 

SB:
2 Spellskite
2 Stony Silence
2 Eidolon of Rhetoric
1 Kami of False Hope
3 Thoughtseize
3 Memoricide
2 Disenchant

Next step is probably to flip the Eos/Renewal count, and maybe drop a Kami for another Spectral Proc.

Soul Sisters isn't great to begin with, so I'm going to start experimenting with other packages next.

Image.ashx

If I run Altar of the Brood + Hangarback as my combo, Artificer's Intuition and Trinket Mage tutor for everything I need to combo off. Can't manage to find a shell with enough artifacts to make it decent, though, especially without running into Affinity hate cards.

JulianImp

So, it looks like my LGS still won't be able to run the OGW prerelease this weekend because the product's stuck in customs, and the store owner doesn't even know how much the entry fee's going to be because booster packs have been getting more expensive by the minute.

I kind of felt like attending this prerelease since I had one-year-old unused store credit that might be enough to cover the entry fee, but I guess that won't be happening. The store's facebook group is all but dead, and all these delays and the high prices (the game's no longer the kind of thing I believe parents would be willing to pay for their children) probably mean they won't even get enough people to run a sanctioned event. Bummer.

JulianImp

Enduring Renewal lets you infinitely cast Hangarback for 0 doesn't it? Just wanna make sure I understand here.

Yeah, that's the interaction.

Too bad all the soul creatures are 1/1s, because I would've suggested Heartless Summoning as a possible way to hasten the combo and allow him to play more DOA free artifact creatures or something (but on second thought that would've made the combo clunkier, wouldn't it?).

So, it looks like my LGS still won't be able to run the OGW prerelease this weekend because the product's stuck in customs, and the store owner doesn't even know how much the entry fee's going to be because booster packs have been getting more expensive by the minute.

I kind of felt like attending this prerelease since I had one-year-old unused store credit that might be enough to cover the entry fee, but I guess that won't be happening. The store's facebook group is all but dead, and all these delays and the high prices (the game's no longer the kind of thing I believe parents would be willing to pay for their children) probably mean they won't even get enough people to run a sanctioned event. Bummer.

Where is this?

Maledict

In fairness, the stuff Rosewater covers is probably most of his actual perspective on it. For events that actually involve Magic he would have a pretty good vantage point, but I'd imagine the bullshit Hasbro did around that license was pretty obscure to most of WotC's employees at the time unless someone got drunk and told them about it at GenCon.

t.

Nah, it was a 'very big thing' at the time. Wizards took a axe to their largest rival in the western CCG market, and it was very public. The offer they made to Lucasarts was online for a while, and they even traded in on Richard Garfields name to get the license 'this guy mad magic, he'll design a game to make you millions!'.

It was also, at the time, quite an incestious industry - everyone knew other people in other companies. There's literally no way Mark wouldn't know what had happened and how it had been done.

N.b. I neither worked on or playtested for Star Wars, and didn't even like Decipher's game, so hardly a big fan - just found the way Mark outlined it slightly jarring given that it was a very deliberate, very public attempt to kill off their main rival at the time. Unfortunately it ended up working, although whether decipher would have lasted even with Star Wars is in question given what happened to the CCG industry in the end.

JulianImp

Where is this?

Argentina. We've had a couple one-week prerelease delays for a while due to product getting stuck in customs before, but I think it's the first time it's been held there for so long.

Guess this means I'll end up skipping out on this as well in the end... Now my standard-legal collection amounts to a single Khans pack's worth of cards I got over half a year ago using store credit, so all that makes me that much less interested in getting back into the game since I don't have the cards to build any standard-legal deck unless I buy back into the format. I'm seriously considering the prospect of playing prereleases but then selling everything back except for a card or two to cover as much of the entry fee as I can, since I have no use for even more cards that will only be picking up dust in my shelves anyway.

OnPoint

Had another ebay preorder cancelled. At least this guy had the common courtesy to send an explanation as to why. Now I have to get Reality Smashers somewhere else.

Never. Again.

Will be preordering from other sources in the future. Where's the best/more reliable source you guys have found?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Had another ebay preorder cancelled. At least this guy had the common courtesy to send an explanation as to why. Now I have to get Reality Smashers somewhere else.

Never. Again.

Will be preordering from other sources in the future. Where's the best/more reliable source you guys have found?
i just use TCGolayer for everything

Jhriad

Never. Again.

TCGPlayer is pretty generous with their buyer protection. That said, if I had thought someone on the thread would be looking for some I wouldn't have Puca'ed away my extras.

Never. Again.

Were they a good price as well?

I can name plenty of stores if you're a Uk'er?

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey

Never. Again.

TCGplayer is my go to. It's reliable and has really good customer service.

Nah, it was a 'very big thing' at the time. Wizards took a axe to their largest rival in the western CCG market, and it was very public. The offer they made to Lucasarts was online for a while, and they even traded in on Richard Garfields name to get the license 'this guy mad magic, he'll design a game to make you millions!'.

It was also, at the time, quite an incestious industry - everyone knew other people in other companies. There's literally no way Mark wouldn't know what had happened and how it had been done.

N.b. I neither worked on or playtested for Star Wars, and didn't even like Decipher's game, so hardly a big fan - just found the way Mark outlined it slightly jarring given that it was a very deliberate, very public attempt to kill off their main rival at the time. Unfortunately it ended up working, although whether decipher would have lasted even with Star Wars is in question given what happened to the CCG industry in the end.

It's likely that MaRo was aware of it at the time, but it's been long enough that all he remembers of that time is actually designing the game. It's also likely that since none of that had anything to do with his work on the game itself, he chose not to bring it up since it would distract from what else he had to say.

How Magic Cards are Developed Latest Developments - The M-Files: Oath of the Gatewatch part 2
* Elemental Uprising originally made a land into a 4/4 Elemental creature with "Tap: Fight target creature", but they changed it because it was too close to a straight-up kill spell.
* Ruin in Their Wake was originally Rampant Growth just for a Wastes, but it was too strong with Siege Rhino, so they changed it to Ramp only if you have a Wastes already.
* Oath of Nissa was originally a 2G card that put two creature/land cards into your hand, but it was thought to be too close to Divination.
* Jace's Sanctum in Magic Origins originally allowed you to spend mana on planeswalkers as though it was any color. Why this was in blue, I have no clue. It was only changed because there weren't any straight-up planeswalkers in Magic Origins. This ability was moved to Oath of Nissa.
* Before they decided on having two Wastes at common, one of those slots was taken up by a Radiant Fountain reprint.
* The dual land cycle went through variations where they also tapped for C and where they had the basic land types. They also looked into reprinting Coastal Tower directly but changing the names of the other cards in that cycle. It seems like they're interested in consistently printing these cards in things like Deck Builder's Toolkits.
* Wandering Fumarole forms an infinite combo with Ceaseless Searblades.
Image.ashx

* As one might have guessed, Ruins of Oran-Rief only puts a counter on one creature because of Hangarback Walker.
* The C cards got pushed in order to make sure they got played in color-heavy decks, instead of dividing Standard into colorless and color-heavy decks.
* Matter Reshaper originally didn't care about the converted mana cost of cards it got from the library, so it could have gotten Atarka and Kozilek.
* They were really worried about Kozilek and See the Unwritten, but for some reason, they seemed to be unwilling to move much of its power to an on-cast ability for a while.

On another note, LSV's introduction to Modern... didn't he already do this? Though he does cover the Modern Eldrazi deck now.

EDIT: Also, highlighted in the Mothership's January 29 daily update, an interesting look at the work put into a cosplay of Narset Transcendent.

OnPoint

TCGPlayer is pretty generous with their buyer protection. That said, if I had thought someone on the thread would be looking for some I wouldn't have Puca'ed away my extras.

Appreciate it. That said, if anyone has any extra Thought-Knot Seers I'm all ears.

Were they a good price as well?

I can name plenty of stores if you're a Uk'er?

They were a decent price for sure. I'm in the US, but thanks.

Matriox

They were a decent price for sure. I'm in the US, but thanks.

I had to cancel my eBay Presales because my supplier kept jerking me around for 5 days in a row with no cards to show for it. I had to get a refund and tried to find a case to replace it but nobody had any boxes so I was forced to refund everyone. I really hope I wasn't your seller but if I was it should be obvious (matrioxtcg is my eBay handle) and let me know if it was, I will try to help if I can.

OnPoint

I had to cancel my eBay Presales because my supplier kept jerking me around for 5 days in a row with no cards to show for it. I had to get a refund and tried to find a case to replace it but nobody had any boxes so I was forced to refund everyone. I really hope I wasn't your seller but if I was it should be obvious (matrioxtcg is my eBay handle) and let me know if it was, I will try to help if I can.

Hah it totally is you. No hard feelings. You did the right thing and you sent a message explaining it. I was pretty pissed off about the previous guy that cancelled on me because there was zero correspondence or explanation. That said, two cancellations on the two cards I wanted most in one set means I won't be going to eBay in the future for preorders.

Matriox

Hah it totally is you. No hard feelings. You did the right thing and you sent a message explaining it. I was pretty pissed off about the previous guy that cancelled on me because there was zero correspondence or explanation. That said, two cancellations on the two cards I wanted most in one set means I won't be going to eBay in the future for preorders.

Let me make it up to you. I'll get you those this weekend. There's an open in Columbus I'll pick them up and give you a discount.

Joe Molotov

There's only one possible outcome here...

Magic duel to the death!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
IDK though seems like an entire month in the OT is a long time for this thread. Maybe it should only be a week or so for small sets and longer for the big ones that are likely to get more attention from lapsed and new players.

Not that I have a problem with it, but I don't really want to wear out the welcome given that there's going to be 5 sets a year that could warrant threads.

Joe Molotov

IDK though seems like an entire month in the OT is a long time for this thread. Maybe it should only be a week or so for small sets and longer for the big ones that are likely to get more attention from lapsed and new players.

Not that I have a problem with it, but I don't really want to wear out the welcome given that there's going to be 5 sets a year that could warrant threads.

If Pandora in the Crimson Shell can get an OT tho, surely MTG is okay.

kirblar

It's fine. It's enough time to highlight the new stuff.

More fuel for "Its Madness" -
July 25, 2015. You said "Bringing back poison took 14 years (although that ignores Future Sight). There's another mechanic planned for the current seven year plan that might break that record. We'll have to see." What is this"another mechanic"? C-mana things for OGW? or another cool unrevealed mechanic?

We haven’t gotten to it yet.
Madness was last seen in Torment, Feb 2002. (outside of TS block schenanigans.)

Affinity also probably likely to beat both.

N.b. I neither worked on or playtested for Star Wars, and didn't even like Decipher's game, so hardly a big fan - just found the way Mark outlined it slightly jarring given that it was a very deliberate, very public attempt to kill off their main rival at the time.

I just think you're approaching this with a pretty specific perspective. There's all kinds of nonsense that goes on around these licensed games (I can't even start with the stuff I've heard from people who were at Last Unicorn working on Star Trek) and most of the time it all matters a whole, whole lot to the people directly involved and not that much at all to everyone else.

MaRo can't talk about the circumstances around the first Star Wars TCG without making his employers look bad. Ergo obviously he won't

Yeah I basically feel like it's reasonable to expect public-face employees to talk negatively about their employer when they're directly addressing a shitty thing that employer did recently, but not to kick up dirt on stuff from years before that isn't relevant to anyone anymore.

Let me make it up to you. I'll get you those this weekend. There's an open in Columbus I'll pick them up and give you a discount.

0PFcllw.jpg

More fuel for "Its Madness"

I still think it's madness in SoI, but the original question this was referencing was back in like July and it was about the design challenge that's taken the longest to solve, which I don't think really covers madness. I think the original version of the question was talking about Mirrodin's rejected "E" mechanic which we know is in an upcoming set now.

Angry Grimace

More fuel for "Its Madness" -

Madness was last seen in Torment, Feb 2002. (outside of TS block schenanigans.)

Affinity also probably likely to beat both.

Affinity has to be a 9 or 10 on the Storm Scale at this point.

Yeef

The problem with Affinity for Artifacts is that artifacts are (generally) colorless and have only generic mana costs. Doing affinity with virtually any other permanent type and limiting the amount of generic mana in those costs shouldn't cause any problems at all. There's even some extra design space to explore if you add subtypes to the mix. "Affinity for Equipment," "Affinity for Soldiers" etc.

Angry Grimace

The problem with Affinity for Artifacts is that artifacts are (generally) colorless and have only generic mana costs. Doing affinity with virtually any other permanent type and limiting the amount of generic mana in those costs shouldn't cause any problems at all. There's even some extra design space to explore if you add subtypes to the mix. "Affinity for Equipment," "Affinity for Soldiers" etc.

Affinity for X does exist, it just didn't really stretch much further than "Affinity for Swamps" or whatever they had in Darksteel with those robot guys.

Start of previews through one week after release seems fine to me, but maybe moving a day or so after the actual release is better?

As for the 5 sets thing, I think we'll just make topics for Standard expansions. Modern Masters generally has less to discuss, and Conspiracy-like sets have less new cards and are generally played less, and of course don't affect Standard or Modern.

Angry Grimace

Start of previews through one week after release seems fine to me, but maybe moving a day or so after the actual release is better?

As for the 5 sets thing, I think we'll just make topics for Standard expansions. Modern Masters generally has less to discuss, and Conspiracy-like sets have less new cards and are generally played less, and of course don't affect Standard or Modern.
The issue is that I think keeping the thread around beyond prerelease isn't actually necessary since that's usually the event people build up towards and nothing *really* happens on the actual release day.

Game 1 (opponent's plays): T1: Land, T2: Land, Hedron Crawler, T3: Thought-Knot Seer, me concede from salt.
Game 2 (opponent's plays): T1: Land, T2: Land, Hedron Crawler, T3: Thought-Knot Seer, me concede from salt.

Total length of match: approximately 3 minutes.

Currently 1-1 in draft with a weird RUG flyers deck. The green is only because of Radiant Flames and that I wouldn't have enough creatures otherwise.

Edited: 1-2

Surge really isn't that great. If I lived until I have enough mana it'd get explosive but I rarely lived until then or was already too far behind that it'd help me.

Got a foil wastes land though, sadly not a typo.

Bandini

Ever since I drew 2 Eldrazi Displacers in my prerelease prize packs, I've been thinking of incorporating them into a control shell. Here's my current brew, about to start testing:
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/jeskai-flicker-2/

Seems pretty fun. Easy to keep mana open for counters and if you don't need to use them, activate Displacer and get some kind of advantage going.

Angry Grimace

Madness coming back just means I'll sing the Muse song every time I discard something.

M-m-m-m-m-m-mad-mad-mad

pigeon

Banned
That started happening like a decade ago, we just get to see specific places it happens in real time now. A decent portion of WotC actually seems to be run by competent people (especially Magic R&D, Magic Creative, and Magic Brand.) The problem areas are all ones that Hasbro has sway over (legal), that are hamstrung by budget (organized play), or that are digital in any way whatsoever (the website, MTGO, Duels.)

You left out D&D in the second list, which does not fall into any of your categories.

Basically WotC is good at all the stuff that they were doing in like 1995, and everything they started to do since then they're kind of shaky on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom