• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wulfric

I've been meaning to post my legacy elves for a while but never really gotten around to taking pictures of the deck. It's fully altered (save for the cradles) right now...

Pictures are a bit grainy, and I had some issues with glare but at least you can see what they look like.

Nice work on the Natural Orders. Green Sun's Zenith is pretty ace too.

Where are you guys playing that have so many rounds? 7 rounds at a prerelease?!

We had 55 people for the morning event, total of 5 rounds. Then we have a 3 round event, followed by a 2HG 3 round in the evening.

bigkrev

We still use Swiss Pairing and the recommended amount of rounds where I play. Tie-breakers get super weird otherwise.

Prizes are based on record. 4-0, 3-0-1 and 3-1 all win set amount of packs. Hell, even back in the days of giant prereleases, they ran the Philadelphia one like this in flights

Wulfric

I can't really really take any credit on any of the extensions as I haven't painted them myself. But thank you.

You chose a good artist though. :)

What do judges usually say? Do you just keep an entirely different deck handy? I can see some jerk trying to rule shark you on the unaltered Cradles.

I've been meaning to post my legacy elves for a while but never really gotten around to taking pictures of the deck. It's fully altered (save for the cradles) right now...

Pictures are a bit grainy, and I had some issues with glare but at least you can see what they look like.
Are you or am I missing the swamp to cast abrupt decay in the face of a blood moon, does elves just don't need to?

Lee N

Membre
What do judges usually say? Do you just keep an entirely different deck handy? I can see some jerk trying to rule shark you on the unaltered Cradles.
I always ask the head judge first and so far I haven't run into any problems. I've done all I can to make sure the cards are tournament playable, there's a thin layer of paint that can't be felt through the double-sleeving and the cards are recognizable as they're all extensions rather than art-swaps. But yes, I am prepared to play the deck unaltered if need be.

Are you or am I missing the swamp to cast abrupt decay in the face of a blood moon, does elves just don't need to?
There are other ways to produce black in the deck, and really - they can blood moon all they want as it isn't that much of a problem for me unless they go t1 blood moon (in which case I couldn't fetch up a single swamp anyway).

There are even players who run Blood Moon in Elves so that should give you an idea of how big of a problem it is for me.

MoxManiac

Do you guys double sleeve your EDH decks?

I'm finishing up an Atraxa deck and it's probably the most expensive one yet (compared to my other ones). I'm tempted to double sleeve it out of paranoia. I did so with my Meren deck as an experiment and the thing is miserable to shuffle.

OnPoint

I'm finishing up an Atraxa deck and it's probably the most expensive one yet (compared to my other ones). I'm tempted to double sleeve it out of paranoia. I did so with my Meren deck as an experiment and the thing is miserable to shuffle.
I do to those with expensive cards.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
A deck full of planeswalkers is probably worth double sleeving if you are gonna break it out often.

Wulfric

I always ask the head judge first and so far I haven't run into any problems. I've done all I can to make sure the cards are tournament playable, there's a thin layer of paint that can't be felt through the double-sleeving and the cards are recognizable as they're all extensions rather than art-swaps. But yes, I am prepared to play the deck unaltered if need be.

Nice. It's clear you've put a lot of time and care into it, and nearly everything in the deck is altered so thickness isn't a big factor.

I double sleeve mine (only 1 deck), if only because of the ABUR duals and multiple signed foil planeswalkers. I think it's worth it once you get into $500+ territory, which is not that hard to do in commander. :)

MoxManiac

Nice. It's clear you've put a lot of time and care into it, and nearly everything in the deck is altered so thickness isn't a big factor.

I double sleeve mine (only 1 deck), if only because of the ABUR duals and multiple signed foil planeswalkers. I think it's worth it once you get into $500+ territory, which is not that hard to do in commander. :)

I guess what is considered valuable enough is relative. This one is probably around $300. I have about 7 EDH decks so I tend not to put a ton of value in any one of them, but of course Atraxa being Atraxa its got a bunch of 'walkers in it.

It's funny how I've felt so disgusted at Frontier being a format, that keeps getting pushed and I don't see it actually being asked for...
but then I see a decklist posted by CFB and it gets me a little bit excited. Like, yeah, I want to play that.

Lands
4 x Bloodstained Mire
4 x Wooded Foothills
4 x Cinder Glade
4 x Smoldering Marsh
4 x Hissing Quagmire
3 x Forest
1 x Mountain
2 x Swamp
Creatures
3 x Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
4 x Sylvan Advocate
4 x Tireless Tracker
2 x Tasigur, the Golden Fang

Spells
4 x Chandra, Torch of Defiance
4 x Liliana, the Last Hope
3 x Nissa, Vital Force
4 x Roast
3 x Painful Truths
4 x Kolaghan's Command
Sideboard
3 x Reclamation Sage
2 x Duress
3 x Radiant Flames
3 x Transgress the Mind
2 x Dead Weight
2 x Tormod's Crypt

Ashodin

Our AER prerelease was absolutely SMASHED by players. Like we had over double or triple the amount of people than we had for Kaladesh. I wonder if the bannings have brought people back? At least got them buzzing.

Yeef

My first pool today was pretty nuts. Ended up playing a 4 color deck with Ajani and Rishkar (GW spashing blue and red for Rashmi and Chandra). Made it to the last round undefeated where my opponent and I split and played for fun. He put the +2/+2 flying aura on his 7/11 vehicle then played Monstrous Onslaught and wiped my board. Somehow, i still won that game (he ended up taking the match though).

Our AER prerelease was absolutely SMASHED by players. Like we had over double or triple the amount of people than we had for Kaladesh. I wonder if the bannings have brought people back? At least got them buzzing.
Our prereleases had a significantly lower turnout, but it was snowing all day Saturday and pretty icy on Sunday, so that likely had something to do with it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I wonder what the masterpieces for Amonkhet are.

Are there enough to do Planeswalkers yet? Would be awesome. Whenever they end up doing it.

Are there enough to do Planeswalkers yet? Would be awesome. Whenever they end up doing it.

I don't think there are enough, and in any case, I doubt they'd want to repeat characters in one block's Masterpieces.

Though that reminds me, I hope Amonkhet presents a real Legion of Doom style line-up of wacky villainous planeswalkers aligned with Bolas. A Shadowmoor kithkin, a shade, a human pyromancer that's stronger than Chandra, Solomon Grundy, etc.

Ashodin

I wonder what they would do with the frame. I bet the card designers are going nuts because they love that they can mess with the card frame more readily now each block.

Firemind

Since people seem to like Esper Superfriends here...

XdczXaV.png

I think I have them all. :lol

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
First time I played Magic at a store (and maybe 4th or 5th time ever with paper)

My sealed deck wasn't great. Had to run red black and white just to get enough quality creatures and removal. I also got a nice rare (destroy x artifacts and cycle your deck for x artifacts and creatures.) but nothing really gelled together.

Still managed to go 1-1-1 which got me 4 out of 7.

Was a good time. Some guys pulled some nice planeswalkers. Would have liked at least one nice pull. :p

This'll be a pretty tough theme to do at any point unless they a) are willing to drop the total number of Masterpieces in a block much lower and b) can scrounge up enough characters whose cards are appropriate to the block and also generally desirable to players. There's only fourteen characters with a PW card at or above $15, so only so much to work with.

However, they can do a "creatures of legend" type theme on a return to Dominaria and make fucking bank.

Ashodin

This'll be a pretty tough theme to do at any point unless they a) are willing to drop the total number of Masterpieces in a block much lower and b) can scrounge up enough characters whose cards are appropriate to the block and also generally desirable to players. There's only fourteen characters with a PW card at or above $15, so only so much to work with.

However, they can do a "creatures of legend" type theme on a return to Dominaria and make fucking bank.

unf

Anyone have experience with this card?

121.jpg

Shit is hilarious, lol. I mean, it caused the table to kill me, but it was fun while it lasted. I think I brought it out too early- need to slow roll it a bit. Makes the game super weird.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member

Next set is probably going to have a Boardwipe series since it's Egyptian themed.

You mean Promised End? Since Aeons Torn wouldn't be in the graveyard long enough to use a sorcery.
Nope, Aeons Torn in Modern.

Combo for the curious, that happened TWICE on turn 3 in back to back games, was Turn 1 Faithless Looting, Turn 2 Cathartic Reunion, Turn 3 Kari Zev's Expertise, freecasting Breaking/Entering for fuse. He dumped 8 cards into the graveyard and then reanimated Emrakul and swung for 15+ Annihilator 6.

It's dumb, and I know it's unlikely, but these cards are going to be so dumb in Modern if/when with Fuse.

Why are Narset Transcendent and Chancellor of the Annex jumping?
Narset is jumping in Price because of Esper Transcendent, which is a deck a bunch of Reddit users seem to like.

Nope, Aeons Torn in Modern.

Combo for the curious, that happened TWICE on turn 3 in back to back games, was Turn 1 Faithless Looting, Turn 2 Cathartic Reunion, Turn 3 Kari Zev's Expertise, freecasting Breaking/Entering for fuse. He dumped 8 cards into the graveyard and then reanimated Emrakul and swung for 15+ Annihilator 6.

It's dumb, and I know it's unlikely, but these cards are going to be so dumb in Modern if/when with Fuse.

Narset is jumping in Price because of Esper Transcendent, which is a deck a bunch of Reddit users seem to like.

But how did he reanimate Emrakul? She shuffles your graveyard into the deck as soon as she enters it.
Unless I'm missing something obvious.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
But how did he reanimate Emrakul? She shuffles your graveyard into the deck as soon as she enters it.
Unless I'm missing something obvious.

Breaking/Entering is one trigger, so you put the top 8 cards into your graveyard and then before Emrakul triggers you reanimate one with Entering.

[edit] Hang on the second I posted this I realised this explanation doesn't work, because before Entering resolves the Emrakul trigger would go on the stack, shuffle your graveyard into your library, and then Entering has no legal target when it resolves?

That said, although Fuse errata says that you can Fuse a spell you're casting for free, are you sure that you can do that even if there's a CMC limit on the free spell?

Genryu

Banned
That said, although Fuse errata says that you can Fuse a spell you're casting for free, are you sure that you can do that even if there's a CMC limit on the free spell?

Yeah, you can use free spells even if there's a CMC limit, I only know this because of Sunforger shenanigans.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Breaking/Entering is one trigger, so you put the top 8 cards into your graveyard and then before Emrakul triggers you reanimate one with Entering.

[edit] Hang on the second I posted this I realised this explanation doesn't work, because before Entering resolves the Emrakul trigger would go on the stack, shuffle your graveyard into your library, and then Entering has no legal target when it resolves?

Nope. It works. Entering resolves before Emrakul's trigger resolves.

Emrakul's trigger will go on the stack but Breaking has to resolve before any new triggers will resolve because a Fused Breaking // Entering is a single spell and you have to resolve the entirety of a spell or effect before anything else can resolve.

The reason why you can cast a Fuse spell with an Expertise is because the all of the criteria are met. Fuse says you can cast either or both halves from your hand and when Kari Zev's Expertise checks the CMC of the Fuse cards it has a CMC of both 2 and 6, therefore it meets the criteria to cast for free.

If they ever end up making a fairy tale plane again I hope they dedicate a whole colour to the Queen of Hearts. I want a bunch of Creature - Card Soldier either have multiple arts or enough cards you can play solitaire.

Nope. It works. Entering resolves before Emrakul's trigger resolves.

Emrakul's trigger will go on the stack but Breaking has to resolve before any new triggers will resolve because a Fused Breaking // Entering is a single spell and you have to resolve the entirety of a spell or effect before anything else can resolve.

The reason why you can cast a Fuse spell with an Expertise is because the all of the criteria are met. Fuse says you can cast either or both halves from your hand and when Kari Zev's Expertise checks the CMC of the Fuse cards it has a CMC of both 2 and 6, therefore it meets the criteria to cast for free.

Thanks for the clarification. That's gotta hurt though lol.

Jhriad

Managed to go 2-2, 2-1, 2-1, 2-1 (2HG) at the prereleases this weekend. Got an Ajani, Tezzeret, Baral, Foil Inspired Vantage, and 3 copies of the blue and green expertise cards. Not a single copy of the other expertise cards or fatal push.

All of my cards from the last prerelease (Kaladesh) are noticeably yellow, it's very visible on the white cards especially.

Yeah, I've seen this and a few other issues a ton since they moved to the new paper in SOI block. Quality Control at the printers has gone to shit recently.

An-Det

Other misc changes, but this one is fantastic and long overdue.

Section 3.9 (Shuffling): In the previous Tournament Rules update, we announced rule changes regarding "pile shuffling." Based on observation and feedback, we are now restricting pile shuffling to once per game and only at the beginning of that game. Remember: "pile shuffling" is not sufficient shuffling. It should only be used to count the cards in a deck.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/magic-tournament-rules-release-notes-2017-01-16

Ozigizo

Got 1st in 2HG with an ensnaring bridge and a grindstone masterpiece. Locked the board up with those and the taser artifacts.

What a day.

Santiako

EDH BANLIST UPDATE - NO CHANGES

NO CHANGES

Sheldon's piece on the state of the format a couple weeks ago probably gave away this update. As he says, the format is in a healthy place, and we don't see a need to make changes.
Some folks have talked about a preemptive banning of Paradox Engine, but we won't do that. Every card - even Griselbrand - gets to be legal for at least a little while, as we prefer to look at actual play in casual settings over theory. I'll note that the last time we saw this much speculation about a preemptive ban was Shaman of Forgotten Ways, and that card turned out just fine.
Wizards has adopted a new ban schedule that features an additional window five weeks out. To maintain the parallel, we will also make short announcements then, but we do not expect to make changes during those windows except in the unlikely event of an emergency.
We may make small changes to the format philosophy page in the coming weeks. There's no change in the philosophy itself, but it's been a few years since we updated it, and there are bits we feel might be expressed more clearly. So, we're planning to take an active look at it to see what might be improved.
Aether Revolt brings a bunch of new toys (and a Legendary Monkey token!) to the party. Have fun brewing, and embrace the chaos.

No changes, they'll announce updates more frequently now, in line with WotC's updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom