• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got bored, no idea where I'm going with this:
sdfsdf3cpp9.png

Wulfric

FYI, Eidolon of the Great Revel is 28 tix on MTGO, still $6 in paper. I'm not sure if that's an online thing. As one of the few good rares from JOU, I'd say it has room to grow thanks to the inevitable shakeups in modern in the next few weeks.

I don't think there are enough, and in any case, I doubt they'd want to repeat characters in one block's Masterpieces.

Though that reminds me, I hope Amonkhet presents a real Legion of Doom style line-up of wacky villainous planeswalkers aligned with Bolas. A Shadowmoor kithkin, a shade, a human pyromancer that's stronger than Chandra, Solomon Grundy, etc.

I just want new flipwalkers.

Speaking of Legion of Doom, we'll see one new Planeswalker for it at best.

Chandra - Tezzeret
Liliana - Garruk/
Sorin
Nissa - Nahiri
Jace - Bolas
Gideon - IMO, the most likely to get a new foil.

Yeef

Tibalt makes some sense as a foil to Gideon. Gideon is always out to help and protect others; Tibalt gets his jollies by torturing others.

Wulfric

Interesting tidbit from today's tournament rules update

Based on player feedback (particularly from Pro Tour and Grand Prix tournaments), we have lengthened the review period between boosters during a booster draft. The review period between the first and second boosters is now 60 seconds (previously 30 seconds). The review period between the second and third boosters is now 90 seconds (previously 45 seconds).

But more relevant to most of us... pile shuffling! Thank goodness, people love doing this after they mulligan. It takes forever.

In the previous Tournament Rules update, we announced rule changes regarding "pile shuffling." Based on observation and feedback, we are now restricting pile shuffling to once per game and only at the beginning of that game.

y2dvd

Went 2-1, 3-1, and 3-1. Typical prerelease score for me lol. I can never go undefeated!

I noticed a lot of removals across all colors in my pools. It was hard deciding my colors because of it haha.

Revolt was tricky to play with. It's attached to a lot of aggressive creatures. Thing is, you don't really want to trade creatures. You want to win combat. And you want to play combat tricks or removals with it, not sac cards. So I found myself holding onto Revolt cards too often to try and gain maximum value. I think you should just cast Revolt cards, and if you get the trigger, it's an added bonus.

Opened a Chandra, stamped Heart of Kiran, Tezz and a bunch of junk mythics. Why couldn't I get the money mythics? :( Not the worst pulls all in all.

Crocodile

First Pre-Release: 3-1 GW
Second Pre-Release: 4-0-1 UR

Impressions:
Cheap cards with Revolt text will activate often (often enough at least). Expensive cards with Revolt text are blank. Like that 4/3 flier is still fine because it is a flier but the 5 mana anthem was worthless. Otherwise few cards surprised me in how good or bad they were - they mostly played out as I thought they would. Got a good amount of trading done, I only need a few more cards from the set. A bummer one of them is the most expensive one - Heart of Kiran.

The return of dwarves is getting a mixed reception.
gaeacradle asked: How are dwarves doing as a creature type?

They’re coming up a little short. : )

Sorry, sorry. Players seem to have mixed reactions with them in White.

What do all you think?

Kaladesh originally had a "Mechanic I"
legendaryq asked: In your new article, Aether Way, you describe how there were 5 mechanics that were well-liked in early Kaladesh design, that including vehicles, energy, fabricate, and reverse engineer. I can't help but notice that's 4 mechanics -- what's up with the fifth one? Was it good enough that you guys are keeping it a secret for now for future sets, or what was it?

It was a cool mechanic that ended up adding too much complexity with Energy and Vehicles. It is something that has potential to be used again. You can call it Mechanic I.

Weird, I could have sworn that they already said proliferate was a mechanic they tried. Maybe that was after the design handoff, but before development settled on fabricate. For those unfamiliar, "reverse engineer" was a mechanic based on copying artifacts until end of turn, and Saheeli and Cogwork Assembler are the remnants of this.

Dwarves should never have been primary white, that spot belongs to settled humans.
The issue is (For Maro at least) that in terms of small races White has nothing unique. Settled Humans isn't really that big of a "White primarily" race compared to Elves/Goblins/Merfolk/Zombies/Vampires. Every primary white race they've done has flopped though(Leonie, Kithkin, and now Dwarves)

duxstar

EDH BANLIST UPDATE - NO CHANGES

No changes, they'll announce updates more frequently now, in line with WotC's updates.

God I hate the EDH committee , will never forgive them for not allowing you to tuck commanders.

Some generals don't care about dying and want to be killed so they can be replayed.

God I hate the EDH committee , will never forgive them for not allowing you to tuck commanders.

Some generals don't care about dying and want to be killed so they can be replayed.
Why is the library special compared to hand, graveyard and exile then?
The issue is (For Maro at least) that in terms of small races White has nothing unique. Settled Humans isn't really that big of a "White primarily" race compared to Elves/Goblins/Merfolk/Zombies/Vampires. Every primary white race they've done has flopped though(Leonie, Kithkin, and now Dwarves)
Because they tied human tribal to Innistrad and otherwise waste white tribals across soldiers and knights. Which is annoying by itself since you can't build army tribal decks like that.
They never really pursued a tribal identity for humans anywhere but Innistrad.

When you look at what they tried you could have replaced them 1 to 1 with humans and it'd have made no difference except you'd have a consistent theme across planes now. Though Lorwyn would have posed a caveat.

Wulfric

Looks like PVDR came up with a G/B Winding Constrictor list pretty early on. I don't think the deck loses a whole lot by ditching white, and it actually seems quite speedy. A 12/12 Verdurous Gearhulk is nothing to balk at. PVDR's list had 2 Looter Scooters, so I replaced them with Fatal Push. It feels strange to say it, but I might actually be playing quite a bit of standard in the coming weeks. Until Modern Masters comes out, at least.

4 x Winding Constrictor
4 x Gifted Aetherborn
3 x Grim Flayer
4 x Verdurous Gearhulk
2 x Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
4 x Rishkar, Peema Renegade
2 x Drana, Liberator of Malakir

4 x Fatal Push
4 x Nissa, Voice of Zendikar
3 x Blossoming Defense
1 x Rishkar's Expertise
2 x Grasp of Darkness

4 x Hissing Quagmire
4 x Blooming Marsh
3 x Evolving Wilds
7 x Swamp
5 x Forest

duxstar

Why is the library special compared to hand, graveyard and exile then?

Because they tied human tribal to Innistrad and otherwise waste white tribals across soldiers and knights. Which is annoying by itself since you can't build army tribal decks like that.
They never really pursued a tribal identity for humans anywhere but Innistrad.

When you look at what they tried you could have replaced them 1 to 1 with humans and it'd have made no difference except you'd have a consistent theme across planes now. Though Lorwyn would have posed a caveat.

Because cardshe like Maelstrom wanderer want to be recast over and over again , countering it and killing it does nothing , most of the time it's cascade triggers find it more combo pieces / ramp spells so all your really doing when killing it is allowing them another chance at 2 more broken plays

Because cardshe like Maelstrom wanderer want to be recast over and over again , countering it and killing it does nothing , most of the time it's cascade triggers find it more combo pieces / ramp spells so all your really doing when killing it is allowing them another chance at 2 more broken plays
Don't kill it then?

Because they tied human tribal to Innistrad and otherwise waste white tribals across soldiers and knights.

They saved human tribal for Innistrad because human tribal is boring and stupid because humans are humans. The only place it's remotely interesting is when it's the humans against the monsters -- and there, it's much better as a multi-color tribe like they did it. Forcing white to just be humans all the time is exactly the same as forcing them to have their creatures be boring and dumb in every setting while everyone else gets actual fantasy creatures to play with.

I have never enjoyed as pure white/blue player schadenfreude as I have with everyone losing it over the tuck rule. If anything I'm still disappointed it took the committee that long to realize that giving the third and worst creature control colors their own special format-specific mechanic that's way better than all other colors was terrible.

MoxManiac

I feel like there are far more broken things you can do already in EDH besides cast maelstrom wanderer multiple times as a commander.

EDIT: you could try something like Imprisoned in the Moon or Song of the Dryads if you want to stop shananigans.

ultron87

But more relevant to most of us... pile shuffling! Thank goodness, people love doing this after they mulligan. It takes forever.

This is the best update. It isn't super relevant to me since I haven't actually played tourney Magic in several months, but hey, I'll probably get out there for some drafts this weekend!

Toxi

Banned

Then don't kill the general. Or kill that player first.

Tuck really needed to go. It was a bizarre exception to removal in general that gave a disproportionate advantage to a few cards.

They saved human tribal for Innistrad because human tribal is boring and stupid because humans are humans. The only place it's remotely interesting is when it's the humans against the monsters -- and there, it's much better as a multi-color tribe like they did it. Forcing white to just be humans all the time is exactly the same as forcing them to have their creatures be boring and dumb in every setting while everyone else gets actual fantasy creatures to play with.
Pretty sure Empire is the most popular faction in Warhammer for instance.
Humans are already predominantly white. There's 2 or 3 times as many white humans than any other colour.
I think how humans group together to form a society in vastly different circumstances is extremely interesting. Providing a venue for world building no less.

This is a case against using humans as a white tribal race, not for it.
What would you use for White's Tribal race? I mean, I know that there's certain planes where the Tribal races don't appear(Innis trad has none of the big ones minus Zombies, Vampires, and Humans) but what could work?

Yeef

Whites Tribal race is Angels?
Each color has an iconic creature type (uncommon and higher) and a characteristic creature type (common and higher).

White: Angel / [Soldier]
Blue: Sphinx / Merfolk
Black: Demon / (Vampire / Zombie)
Red: Dragon / Goblin
Green: Hydra / Elf

What would you use for White's Tribal race?

I don't think they've given dwarves a full shot yet. If they really want to see how that works out, they need to try them in a setting where they make more sense to start with and can be a bit more like the traditional dwarves. Like: we go to Kaldheim and there's a white tribe of viking dwarves that makes equipment? I think people will get on board with that.

Whites Tribal race is Angels?

Iconic races are the big rare flashy ones, which are angels for white, sphinxes for blue, demons for black, dragons for red, and hydras for green. These have been set for a while and probably aren't changing at this point.

Characteristic races are the common ones you see in every set, for which green and red really only have one (elves and goblins), blue has one plus some tries to add more (merfolk and vedalken), black has two (vampires and zombies), and white has none, even though they've tried leonin, kithkin, and dwarves as options.

I took my girlfriend to the Aether Revolt Prerelease on midnight when it came out, this being my second ever Prerelease as a Magic player c:

I helped get my partner into Magic so it was awesome having her around. I went 0-3 but I won a game and nobody made my deck for me so I'm pretty happy. I went Green and Black because out of all of the Mythics I pulled at the Prerelease, Green and Black were my favs ^^

No Masterpieces this time though.... Better luck next time!!!

It's a case for humans already being the white race.

Humans have nothing at all tying them to white philosophically the way all the characteristic races do and are supposed to. Humans don't fit one mold, certainly the "living in an uptight society" one, as the huge range of cards concepted as human in all five colors should attest. Humans are also, y'know, the species making the game so making them specific to only one of the colors goes against the whole concept of the color pie as five colors with their own unique and legitimate place.

I've always liked soldier as white's characteristic creature type. The idea that what you do is more important than who you are is a perfect fit for white.
Soldiers could be something that would work, but I'd be hesitant to have it be so.
I don't think they've given dwarves a full shot yet. If they really want to see how that works out, they need to try them in a setting where they make more sense to start with and can be a bit more like the traditional dwarves. Like: we go to Kaldheim and there's a white tribe of viking dwarves that makes equipment? I think people will get on board with that.

Stupid thought idea:

If Dwarves have this baggage within the player base, could they potentially make Aether born but Rock based? I'd even settle for the Crystal Gems-Lite if it gave White a unique race.

Violet_0

Banned
not sure if Kithkin or (white) dwarfes truly count, they can only be found on one plane so far like the Kor. Plus, dwarfes just aren't really white in the same way the Aven aren't really white

the other colors have familiar generic fantasy races that can be used for pretty much any plane. Big, burly cat people on the other hand don't really stand out all that much from all the other hyena people or bird people and so on, and they don't fit white all that well either

Ri'Orius

Vikings? People who go around raiding everyone and stealing their stuff? Nah, that's way too red. Not to mention dwarves on boats seems pretty wrong.

D&D dwarves are thoroughly white. Tradition and honor, live for hundreds of years doing what your father did and his father before him, mine ore to make weapons. Kaladesh dwarves were a little too flamboyant for my tastes, but on the whole the second they said "we're making dwarves the white tribe" it clicked 100% for me.

Firemind

I'm just mad Paladin creatures are Knight types. Paladins are better than knights!
Hear, hear!

I'd rather have cat people. Also equipment sucks for limited.

There should be high elves in white. Every elf we have is green for some reason. Not all elves give a shit about nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom