• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I guess my problem is that I don't care for Maverick Thopterists all that much. It's fine, I guess, I just don't see it as much of a payoff for anything other than casting more Herald of Anguish, which is already easy enough to Turn 4.

I mean, Bastion Inventors is slower, but Maverick Thopterists barely seems above what you'd expect to get on turn 3 anyways and I don't want a payoff that mostly exists to payoff another threat. I'd rather just run Bastion Inventors and have it block for Tezzeret until I can ultimate him.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yaaas :D
Jona de Ro putting in work on that Aether Hub. I thought it was Magali Villeneuve at first glance.

Still waiting for the Fatal Push promo to be announced; WotC can't be that dense to not pick it.

Promos are almost always a season behind, meaning we won't get promos for anything from Aether Revolt for months.

But given that they specifically designed Push as a Modern card they knew would be extra good, I think the chance of them not doing it is very low.

Promos are almost always a season behind, meaning we won't get promos for anything from Aether Revolt for months.

But given that they specifically designed Push as a Modern card they knew would be extra good, I think the chance of them not doing it is very low.
Of Aether Revolt uncommons, I'd bet money on Push and Rallier being promos, with some other card getting one. The first two are probably the best modern cards in the set.

Santiako

Of Aether Revolt uncommons, I'd bet money on Push and Rallier being promos, with some other card getting one. The first two are probably the best modern cards in the set.

Those two, Narnam Renegade, Trophy Mage, Gifted Aetherborn, The Cat, Hidden Herbalists, Ornithopter, Treasure Keeper are some other good options. TONS of great uncommons in Aether revolt.

Wulfric

That's why I'm still waiting on the AER promos to be announced; the current artwork is simply too literal. Of course, I'd be find with Winding Constrictor as well.

New rewards program on WPN (for standard of course!)
Between February 13 and April 16, run fifteen Standard events and you'll receive:

• 5 Amonkhet posters for your store. Each poster depicts a not-yet-revealed character from the upcoming Spring set.

• Special land promo cards from a Standard-legal set: 10 for Core level stores, 20 for Advanced level stores, and 30 for Advanced Plus level stores. You'll issue these to any player that joins 6 Standard events at your store during that window.

• 3 exclusive playmats featuring art from a card in Amonkhet. Consider using these as rewards for sportsmanship, helping new players, innovative deckbuilding, or any other kind of behavior you want to see in your store.

V7AcftL.png

lupin23rd

Is Fatal Push the most expensive in-print Uncommon ever or have there been other cards that have gotten that high?

Wasn't Aether Vial an uncommon in initial printing? Wasn't playing at that time but assume it didn't take long to at least start rising in price.

Mana Drain is probably up there.
Force of Will as mentioned.

FYI, the promo lands are the Zendikar Expedition tangolands, but with normal frames.

As for Amonkhet, I'm expecting a three-color wedge theme.

Yeef

The fact that there's an abnormal number of Warriors in Aether Revolt makes me think that we might see Warrior-tribal again in Amonkhet. It would make sense, given the flavor of the plane.

Wulfric

those foil promo lands gonna sell for a looooooot.

I don't think they are foil? It just says they're special promos. The tangoland expeditions aren't that expensive to begin with, so I doubt they'll be worth more than regular pack foils.

Still, it's gonna be weird seeing those arts in a regular frame. Adam Paquette did a good job with the cycle.

FYI, the promo lands are the Zendikar Expedition tangolands, but with normal frames.

As for Amonkhet, I'm expecting a three-color wedge theme.

What makes you lean to Wedges over Shards?

I mean, I agree it's going to be Three colors(You have god cards as a lock given what we know), but Bolas being basically Grixis locks me into the idea that it's going to be Shards.

* Liliana overpowers him with the Chain Veil, and starts asking about Bolas. He reveals that he's on Amonkhet, which is also where one of Liliana's demons is.

SHOCKING NEWS (that everyone already figured out)

This is a super-weird set of promos. Tango lands, with the normal frame, but the Expedition art? What?

It's just a regular Zombie now. :(

So Tezzeret had a falling out with Bolas and they're enemies now? Have any of the stories revealed why Tezzeret wanted the Planar Bridge so bad?

OnPoint

I'm really hoping a Razaketh card is near Griselbrand tier in power, with them saying he's stronger than him and the other previously dispatched demon he'd almost have to be, right?

I don't want to play into the "angry nerd gets upset about minor details" stereotype, but the Grand Creature Type Update was a mistake. Toads aren't frogs. They just aren't.

The GCTU was absolutely necessary and it concerns me that anyone at WotC tries to argue otherwise. Many of the individual choices they made in that process are certainly wide open to argument though.

Just out of curiosity, do multiple winding constrictors stack? So having 2 constrictors out means putting an additional 2 +1/+1 counters on?

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
If you control two Winding Constrictors, the number of counters placed on the artifact or creature is the original number plus two. Three Winding Constrictors adds three to the original number, and so on.

It's a cumulative replacement affect.

Just out of curiosity, do multiple winding constrictors stack? So having 2 constrictors out means putting an additional 2 +1/+1 counters on?

As far as I can tell the wording is very specific to prevent stacking. Basically, the Winding Constrictor effect overwrites the original placement of counters, so Winding Constrictor #1 says: "instead of getting a +1/+1 counter, you get 2 +1/+1 counters" and Winding Constrictor #2 says: "instead of getting a +1/+1 counter, you get 2 +1/+1 counters". Basically, the Winding Constrictor doesn't generate an event on the stack, it just modifies the outcome of an event already on the stack, so the second Constrictor can't "see" the modified value the first one creates.

That's just my reading, though. I'm no judge, just noting that the wording seems to be a bit odd for the explicit sake of preventing Constrictor x2 from going infinite.

Ashodin

Yeah 2 Winding Constrictor just make 3 +1/+1 counters get placed on a permanent. Which is still pretty fucking silly.

Mind you, since GIDEON can become a creature, if somehow he is turned into a creature then loyalty gets placed on him it gets placed +1 (or +2 if two constrictors)

Angry Grimace

May as well throw Corpsejack Menace on the pile.
I once played a seriously contested game of Magic that ended when my opponent had 2 Kalonian Hydras and 4 Corpsejack Menaces on the battlefield. I think the Hydras were 64/64 before he swung. I forget why I was alive but I think it was something I was doing with Kiora, the Crashing Wave.

red13th

Those battleland promos seem like they could end up being rarer than the corresponding expeditions lol

Cool that with Standard being a craphole WotC is wising up and making cool stuff again, they needed the wake up call. Eternal Masters 2 for Christmas plz.

Jhriad

This is a super-weird set of promos. Tango lands, with the normal frame, but the Expedition art? What?

Oh fuck, look at these Standard attendance numbers and slumping set sales! Better print some random promos with existing art assets and toss them into prerelease shipments to save on costs. Maybe the sixth attempt to fix Standard attendance will do the trick. *Crosses fingers* Please play Standard.

In all seriousness, I wish they would just bring back the Player Rewards program. To save on shipping costs give players the ability to register a 'home' LGS and ship the rewards in existing product shipments to those stores. Maybe restructure it so attending events nets you a number of points based on the event type (FNM, Gameday, etc) as well as the format to allow them to incentivize certain formats over others.

Joe Molotov

My friend texted me at 11:00 last night to tell me that Cheerios was almost unbeatable and was going to break Modern until they banned Sram. I thought maybe I'd just dreamed it, but it's still there this morning.

bigkrev

Pro Tour Team rosters are on the website- The most interesting part is that that D3, theMagic Puzzle Quest publisher, is sponsoring 2 teams

My friend texted me at 11:00 last night to tell me that Cheerios was almost unbeatable and was going to break Modern until they banned Sram. I thought maybe I'd just dreamed it, but it's still there this morning.
Nah, they won't hit SRAM if the deck is too good, they'll hit something else.

Angry Grimace

Fatal Push is currently a 11 ticket card on MTGO

People seem to think it's because of no pre-release triple draft option

I opened a Walking Ballista and its now worth more than my draft cost by quite a bit. It was like 10 tix yesterday...

I'm really hoping a Razaketh card is near Griselbrand tier in power, with them saying he's stronger than him and the other previously dispatched demon he'd almost have to be, right?

Griselbrand is actually better than Yawgmoth's Bargain in certain ways because its a lot easier to cheat a guy into play over an Enchantment. I used to play a Vintage deck on MTGO that was basically an Oath of Druids deck, except it won by Oathing into Griselbrand and immediately comboing off with Tendrils. It was fun as fuck.

If I had to guess, they'd likely hit Retract. It's one of the deck's biggest enablers and taking that out doesn't cripple any other deck.

Yup, Retract is probably going to be hit if anything. I mean, for "Bounce all artifacts to hand", the other options are what, Paradoxical Outcome and Hurkley's Recall?

Either that or they put the nail in the coffin of Modern Storm and just ban Grapeshot. That's how Cheerios wins, right?

Ashodin

Finally got my fourth Heart of Kiran. My standard deck is complete!

4 Inspiring Vantage
6 Mountain
2 Needle Spires
10 Plains
4 Always Watching
3 Captain's Claws
3 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
4 Heart of Kiran
3 Hope of Ghirapur
3 Incendiary Flow
1 Skysovereign, Consul Flagship
3 Sram, Senior Edificer
3 Stitcher's Graft
3 Stone Haven Outfitter
4 Toolcraft Exemplar
4 Veteran Motorist
Sideboard:

4 Authority of the Consuls
2 Collective Defiance
3 Fragmentize
3 Kari Zev, Skyship Raider
3 Thalia, Heretic Cathar

Post AER RW Equipment go!

Jhriad

Ehhhh... It might be a bad matchup if you're playing a deck without any interaction but I have my doubts as to its "unbeatable" nature. Both Puresteel and Sram die to practically everything, can be stripped away with discard, and the few builds I've seen of the deck so far have practically no interaction of their own. Unless there's some entirely new build that I haven't seen yet it's just a glass cannon that'll net some free wins and fall apart entirely against decent interactive decks. Plus the board options against a deck like Cheerios are pretty good.

Maybe I'm not giving it enough credit since I haven't seen it run on camera or in person in quite a long time. *shrug* I certainly wouldn't mind it showing up big so that the seventeen copies of Retract that I've got right now move up even more before I manage to unload them.

Santiako

I've played some AER AER KLD in cockatrice and I really like the format. There is one card that I feel is extremely overpowered though, Ridgescale Tusker. How the hell is that just an uncommon, seriously.

Angry Grimace

Oh fuck, look at these Standard attendance numbers and slumping set sales! Better print some random promos with existing art assets and toss them into prerelease shipments to save on costs. Maybe the sixth attempt to fix Standard attendance will do the trick. *Crosses fingers* Please play Standard.

In all seriousness, I wish they would just bring back the Player Rewards program. To save on shipping costs give players the ability to register a 'home' LGS and ship the rewards in existing product shipments to those stores. Maybe restructure it so attending events nets you a number of points based on the event type (FNM, Gameday, etc) as well as the format to allow them to incentivize certain formats over others.

Standard would be excellent without Aetherworks Marvel and Felidar Guardian. It's a fun format that has a lot of cool synergy....if you don't play that deck.

I've spoken at length about Guardian, but in the end, even if they got rid of it, Marvel is still a blight on the format because it invalidates basically every other energy-based strategy because its simply too cheap on both ends. The card should cost 6, and require 8 to use. At its current cost, you should have to sacrifice Aetherworks Marvel to use it. It would be one thing if energy was hard to come by, but it isn't.

Jhriad

Standard would be excellent without Aetherworks Marvel and Felidar Guardian. It's a fun format that has a lot of cool synergy....if you don't play that deck.

I've spoken at length about Guardian, but in the end, even if they got rid of it, Marvel is still a blight on the format because it invalidates basically every other energy-based strategy because its simply too cheap on both ends. The card should cost 6, and require 8 to use. At its current cost, you should have to sacrifice Aetherworks Marvel to use it. It would be one thing if energy was hard to come by, but it isn't.

I'm confused, were you responding to me or was that meant to be quoting someone else? If it wasn't clear, the first half of my post was meant to be read facetiously. Sorry if I wasn't clear there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom