• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
GUYS.

3x Depala, Pilot Exemplar
3x Sram, Senior Edificer
4x Veteran Motorist
4x Metalwork Colossus

3x Consulate Dreadnaught
3x Heart of Kiran
3x Aethersphere Harvester
3x Cultivator's Caravan
4x Peacewalker Colossus
2x Skysovereign, Consulate Flagship

3x Harnessed Lightning
3x Unlicensed Disintegration

3x Sanctum of Ugin
1x Inventor's Fair
4x Aether Hub
4x Spire of Industry
4x Inspiring Vantage
4x Concealed Courtyard
2x Needle Spires
2x Shambling Vent

SB:
3x Fumigate
4x Radiant Flames
2x Authority of the Consules
2x Thalia, Heretic Cathar
2x Battle at the Bridge
2x Metallic Rebuke

Played it at a GPT today. Not with this mana base, had some problems getting the cards there.

I really think there's something here. My opponents were continually flummoxed. I played the deck with the Metalwork Colossus package in the sideboard and 4x Toolcraft Exemplar in the main, but it was the worst card in the deck.

This deck features: 18 vehicles, 12 Dwarves - 20 hits for Depala activations. Creatures when you want them. Something to do with your Colossus discounts when you're not casting one. The best use of Depala and Sram I've seen yet in standard.

It's rough. It was only built last night. But it's powerful.

Card Boy

Banned
I decided to sell all my money cards and only delve into Commander or only build budget decks. When i say budget i mean under $40. I got too deep into the TCG scene (not just Magic) over the last 9 months and am trying to cut back and go casual style. Saying no to boosters and drafts and am only buying cheap singles, again this goes for all TCGs. No tournaments either, just casual play going forward.

edit: just sold the card in my avatar yesterday lol.

Need variety in the vehicles because they all serve different functions. I was at 4 caravans and 2 Dreadnaughts, but wanted another DNaught. Caravan was the natural cut. the 3-of Depala and Sram and because they're legendary, though you could argue to play 4. Several legendaries in the deck.
Now I'd be curious how the margins differ. Is the loss of consistency, cardquality worth the gain of less dead cards/draws, usually it's not.
I'm drawn to 3ofs myself but I can rarely actually rationalise.

For all that we dunk on Worth Wollpert for his role in the shittiness of MTGO, pretty impressed by the stuff he just put out on silent auction to benefit the ACLU:

URThw4M.jpg
DeC2t3H.jpg
cQTLj4Y.jpg
vtpbKBh.jpg
TSavDSc.jpg
fqx2v9y.jpg
WyMCTvl.jpg
JGphI3F.jpg

https://twitter.com/mtgworth/status/825532988108648448

I love that Swords to Plowshares proxy. Spells out the flavor of the card right in the rules text. Neat.

That's a pre-Alpha original playtest card. They're all pretty great, you can dig up a bunch of pictures online.

After doing some quick math, I'd say there's about $3000 - $4000 worth of stuff total in that list.

zethren

Banned
That's a pre-Alpha original playtest card. They're all pretty great, you can dig up a bunch of pictures online.

After doing some quick math, I'd say there's about $3000 - $4000 worth of stuff total in that list.

That's incredible... good on him for using these for a great cause.

Wulfric

duxstar

Seriously magic ha's a problem

Copy + pasted from the scg open day 2 breakdown.

The full metagame breakdown looks like this:

G/B Aggro – 21
B/G Delirium – 18
Jeskai Saheeli – 16
Four-Color Saheeli – 8
Jeskai Control – 5
U/B Control – 4
Mardu Vehicles – 4
B/R Zombies – 3
G/W Tokens – 3
U/R Control – 2
Esper Aggro – 1
Temur Control – 1
Grixis Control – 1
W/B Midrange – 1
Temur Eldrazi – 1
Temur Energy – 1
U/R Emerge – 1
U/B Colossus – 1
Jeskai Colossus – 1
Esper Control – 1
U/W Spirits – 1
W/R Humans – 1
Temur Aetherworks – 1
Mono-Red Aggro – 1
B/R Constructs – 1
U/W Reservoir – 1

Once again it's on the pros to come up with something better

39 - b/g decks
29 - jeskai decks
32 - other

Santiako

There's nothing ban worthy in the BG decks, so the solution is to somehow find a deck that fares well against big midrangey creatures and a two card combo backed by counterspells and giant instant speed gearhulks.

Easy!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The BG deck isn't unfair or even vaguely ban worthy, its that the existence of a 2 card combo that makes you instantly lose means nobody is willing to play Fumigate. If you're playing an aggressively slanted deck you have no reason to not extend as far as you can as quickly as you can.

I don't understand anything on this post lol

Who's Cletus? Who's wheeling? What?

Cletus = Kalitas.
Bob Nixon = Ob Nixilis.
Nicholas = Nicol Bolas.

I call 'em like I see 'em.

Wheeling just means rotating out of Standard. I assume he's rotating soon, anyway, with the way they changed the blocks I don't know anymore.

Santiako

Ah, ok. Kalitas is not even a staple of the decks, so my mind didn't go there. He's not rotating for another 8 months either, until Atlazan rotates into standard..

Yeah, it should be made clear that the dominance of B/G Aggro is solely due to Copycat pushing out the decks good against it. Like I mentioned last week, there were decks that were good against Skullclamp decks in Mirrodin Standard, but it was still Skullclamp that was a source of the problem.

EDIT: Rotations only happen in the fall now, so nothing rotates when Amonkhet releases.

Ah, ok. Kalitas is not even a staple of the decks, so my mind didn't go there. He's not rotating for another 8 months either, until Atlazan rotates into standard..

Yeah, like I said, the deck works fine without him. I only mentioned him because (now that Emrakul's gone) he's the only halfway impressive power card I've even seen those decks run. The rest of their list is basically just mid-tier Delirium enablers and value cards.

The Expertise Cycle are a mistake in Modern.

Nothing beats Salt like losing to Zari Yev's Expertise free casting Breaking//Entering, and getting an Emrakul because I foolishly chose to tap out on Turn 2 when playing Delver.

It's like Twin, but with added levels of RNG/Stupid. Modern really could have used a Revolt counterspell.

OnPoint

The Expertise Cycle are a mistake in Modern.

Nothing beats Salt like losing to Zari Yev's Expertise free casting Breaking//Entering, and getting an Emrakul because I foolishly chose to tap out on Turn 2 when playing Delver.

It's like Twin, but with added levels of RNG/Stupid. Modern really could have used a Revolt counterspell.
This sounds awful.

Maybe hire Modern playtesters, Wizards.

This sounds awful.

Maybe hire Modern playtesters, Wizards.
Like, the guy fizzled Game 2(and I didn't tap out post turn 2), but having to play around Emrakul popping up on Turn 3 when the best counter is Mana Leak is just feels bad all around. It's not even just Emrakul, it's also running Griselbrand and a bunch of other stupid Reanimation targets.

I recognize that it is a two card combo, but when it can be run alongside such handcrafting masterpieces as Faithless Looting and Cathartic Reunion, it's all kinds of dumb.

At the very least, I feel like they need a big sticky board of stuff that can be completely busted in older formats.

Eh, it doesn't seem better than the usual Goryo's Vengeance decks.

The issue with Goryo's was getting your bomb into the yard before you could reanimate it. Expertise+ Breaking and Entering is Mill 8 ontop of Reanimation without the "Exile EoT" clause.

It feels less fragile, because it's not just one swing with the card you reanimate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom