• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

OT but what's the 3 in your avatar from? I've seen some other posters with numbers like it.

The new Dragon Ball Super arc starts this Saturday, it's a big tournament where multiple universes convene for the first time to see who's the strongest. Each Universe has a number (up to 12) and we got sorted into a universe based on our birth month. I made the numbers that go in the avatars for each person participating. It's kind of like we're "rooting" for that universe.

Santiako

The new Dragon Ball Super arc starts this Saturday, it's a big tournament where multiple universes convene for the first time to see who's the strongest. Each Universe has a number (up to 12) and we got sorted into a universe based on our birth month. I made the numbers that go in the avatars for each person participating. It's kind of like we're "rooting" for that universe.

Ah, cool. I was curious. I really should watch DB Super, that sounds awesome.

I think these are guaranteed
Doesn't make them any less predictions! :p

(I'm going to go a step above and say it will be Ajani Unyielding in some Abzan Counters list. They'll Ult and then have some Boardwipe.)

I'm also going to predict that Copycat will do extremely well in Constructed, but be kept out of the top 8 because terrible draft performances

"Liliana, now would be a good time to use the Chain Veil."

gfrVLIO.png

That really looks like an Eldrazi...

So, Cheeri0s can kill on Turn 1 thanks to the great card known as SSG.

Turn 1 SSG, Rugged Prairie, Dude, Storm off.

Deck is so going to eat a ban in March.

Santiako

Just got home. Have I missed anything interesting? Is this the first standard round?

Ooh, Grixis Improvise on camera. Nice.

Santiako

Yup, first round game two just finished.

Edit: This Grixis Improvise deck sure looks awkward as hell when it has a non-nut draw.

Yeah, if you draw enablers but not what you're enabling it looks awkward as hell. I have the same problem with my modern deck. Sometimes I draw all the ramp but I never see a Primeval Titan and it's just weird.

What TF is this "advantage bar" nonsense? Is it just the casters feeling on who's winning? I could get behind this if it was accurately measuring relative card advantage over the course of a game (i.e., Noxious Gearhulking something gets you +1, mulliganing gets you -1, drawing two cards gets you +1, etc). But it looks to be...all subjective?

Jhriad

They're going to need to have a backup table always featuring a slower matchup if one of their camera matches is a Copy Cat mirror. Otherwise we might be seeing a while lot of their boring interstitials.

Jhriad

What TF is this "advantage bar" nonsense? Is it just the casters feeling on who's winning? I could get behind this if it was accurately measuring relative card advantage over the course of a game (i.e., Noxious Gearhulking something gets you +1, mulliganing gets you -1, drawing two cards gets you +1, etc). But it looks to be...all subjective?

They're trying to make the stream a little more approachable to the viewers that aren't especially familiar with Standard Magic. Without it, boards can be pretty confusing or deceptive to the unenfranchised viewer. It could certainly use some work but at least they're making some attempt to broaden the potential viewability of the stream.

For folks familiar with Magic and/or Standard it's just a tiny bit of the overlay to ignore and forget exists.

bigkrev

They're trying to make the stream a little more approachable to the viewers that aren't especially familiar with Standard Magic. Without it, boards can be pretty confusing or deceptive to the unenfranchised viewer. It could certainly use some work but at least they're making some attempt to broaden the potential viewability of the stream.

The problem is the most popular deck just instantly wins regardless of position,lol

Speaking of making this more approachable for Twitch viewers, is that the reason the players are wearing headsets now?

Jhriad

The problem is the most popular deck just instantly wins regardless of position,lol

Speaking of making this more approachable for Twitch viewers, is that the reason the players are wearing headsets now?

They started that with one of the more recent events but I don't remember which. My understanding from their comments when coverage commented on it at that event was that it was so the table receiving coverage couldn't hear coverage and/or reactions to coverage from onlookers.

Edit: If I remember correctly, there was some controversy in Hearthstone recently where a Chinese team was watching the stream and shouting plays to their teammate. From their player's perspective it was a terrible play but given the information of the opponent's hand it was the best play. Maybe that had something to do with it.

Lucario

Does anyone have a recommended postage forwarding service for MagicCardMarket? Living in the US and looking to pick up five or ten of the red Euro land set.

Lucario

It's subjective, just a (possibly misguided) way to teach newer players that boardstate matters more than life total.

I didn't even notice it until someone pointed it out.

duxstar

So the pro's have figured out my secret deck tech

Heart of Kiran
GreenBelt Rampager

Basically what i noticed is that if you can get down a turn 2 or 3 heart/Greenbelt the saheeli players have a hard time dealing with it, They are running a ton of Harnessed lightnings, and Radiant flames, and both of those cards deal with neither green belt or Heart of Kiran.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/562556#paper

Was the deck I've been playing the last few days, and even though the mana is jank as fuck, and the white probably doesn't need to be there, I felt that i wanted counterspells in blue. and greenbelt, Heart of Kiran, backed by counterspells/negate mana and pressure was affecting alot of the jeskai decks.

I got told the deck was bad last night (which it is, I would love to push it to 3 colors, and the Displacer seems a little out of place) but i was following the right track.
Greenbelt Rampagers, Heart of Kiran, and Energy makers

I had been testing it for awhile, and it beat most jank brews, and was something like 4 - 2 against Saheeli/Jeskai and BG decks. Though i was thinking a 3rd fumigate over the 3rd Release the Gremlins was probably better.

Edit: These decks could all be proven wrong, and Combo still takes the protouranyway (Gearhulks can just overpower you sometimes, especially when they draw them), but I think being aggro is the way to beat it.

El Topo

The problem with the combo is that they need the planeswalker to stick around for a turn. Aggro makes that hard. Now whether that leads to a meta that people enjoy is a different question.
The more I see the vehicles, the more I hate them.

bigkrev

I love the set design changes this year. Being able to see the field no matter if they are in the feature match area/news desk, the feature match area being a more open space, visable specators- it's all a nice step up

Lucario

Played against someone with a paradox engine deck that used Greenbelt Rampager to generate additional untaps.

Thought it was mediocre/cute until they played something that spent energy and went infinite. A consulate turret killed me, of all things. This standard is bringing out some incredible brews.

Looked up his name last time but forgot what it was. Just have to google legacy gp top 8 reanimator and you'll get it.

Someone got DQ'd in round 5. Tricked his opponent into thinking he took damage.

edit: Found ironmang's name but can't find him on the standings.

bigkrev

Looked up his name last time but forgot what it was. Just have to google legacy gp top 8 reanimator and you'll get it.

Someone got DQ'd in round 5. Tricked his opponent into thinking he took damage.

edit: Found him but can't find him in the standings.

It was Brock Parker. Here is what happened

"Brock Parker crewed a Heart of Kiran that had just come into play that turn, and attempted to attack with it, forgetting that he was unable to do so. Parker's opponent believed he was attacking with the creature that was used to crew the Heart of Kiran. When damage went to resolve, Parker wrote down the life total reflecting damage that was done by the Vehicle, while his opponent wrote down damage as though the crewing creature had attacked instead.

At that stage of the turn, rather than point out the discrepancy, Parker went along with his opponent's recognition of the game state as his opponent saw it. The game state as Parker intended in his actions was illegal. The game state as his opponent interpreted the actions was legal, but not the intended line of play. This was observed by a judge, at which point the game was halted, and the situation was escalated. After an investigation, it was clear that Parker misrepresenting the state of the game to his advantage, and the appropriate actions in accordance to the rules were made."

I'm surprised there was a DQ for this unless he had a warning earlier in the day- seems like a massive communication error

Yeef

Latest Developments - M-Files Aether Revolt Part 1

Image.ashx

TJA: Two of these (or one plus a Clone effect) go infinite. Is that problematic?

DEL: Arbitrarily large, but at least they wouldn't draw the game.

Technically, infinite is different than an arbitrary large number. Three Oblivion Rings with no other nonland permanents actually do go infinite, and the game ends in a draw. This combo lets you repeat it over and over again. Tim made this comment, but we weren't that worried about two copies of this creating an infinite number of ETB triggers. You'd need a third card to go infinite. We did miss the interaction with Saheeli, however, and that has led to some . . . interesting decks in Standard. While we were pushing for more combo decks in Standard with Aether Revolt, this is not the kind of deck we would intentionally take a risk with. In hindsight, Felidar Guardian definitely should've said "creature or artifact." Pro Tour Aether Revolt is this weekend, and we'll be watching to see how these decks do.

[EDIT] Booooo!

en_rzqBW60kOg.png

BH: Changed from Monkey Pirate to just Monkey.

I wanted to leave you with this one—and what almost was. There was real-life discussion in our offices on whether a Monkey has the cognitive faculties to decide to be a Pirate. I argued that Monkeys are, by their very nature, pretty close to Pirates; they naturally steal, swear, and sing sea shanties. But it wasn't enough, and Ragavan was relegated to being jobless forever.

M-Files - Aether Revolt part 1
* The big one: Copycat was not intentional. It also doesn't appear to be a last minute change. It flickered a permanent, they thought it would be fine because any combo would require two cats and a third card, and didn't even think about Saheeli. While they wanted combos in Standard, this isn't the sort of combo they'd knowingly push.
* Trophy Mage originally got CMC 2 or 3, but the intention was always to see which was more fun in Standard and narrow it down to that. It couldn't be a range because unlike Trinket and Treasure Mage, those are the artifacts you actually want at the point you usually cast the Mage.
* They tried out a variation of soulbond called metalbond that gave activated abilities to artifacts. The Quicksmiths are the last remnants.
* Ragavan was originally a Monkey Pirate, but there was a debate about whether monkeys were mentally capable of acting deliberately as a pirate or if they just naturally acted in a pirate-like way.

EDIT: Was writing this on my phone.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The problem people aren't noticing is that the reason Vehicles and Snake are constantly on camera is because you can't afford to put Fumigate in your deck with Cat Combo in the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom