• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2dvd

Maybe I'm missing it so I'll ask you guys..... when you look at the last few months of standard and how the meta games have shaken out, especially this one; Do you have any desire to play standard ? I look at pro tour after pro tour and just go "these are not decks I want to play, either with or against".

The last time I liked Standard was when Abzan with Siege Rhinos and Courser of Kruphix were around.

It all fell apart for me when 4 and 5 color decks became the norm and hasn't been the same since.

Gameday made me want to play more standard tbh. I want to say let's see how it pans out in the next several weeks. We're only into week 4.

Tunoku

That's pretty damn amazing. As someone who hasn't experienced most Standards, I'm all about this. Just need to get used to the interface more. Gonna fire up a draft this week to see how it goes.

I would really love for "Bring your Own Standard" to be a thing.

Although to prevent it from being a Modern clone, I think they should limit it to decks that actually were legal in Standard at one point (but all standard bannings still apply).

I'd probably play that format.

bigkrev

I feel bad for 99.9% of players who get the Prosbloom deck and have no idea how to play it. The CMU Blue deck is going to be a shock to most as well

I feel bad for 99.9% of players who get the Prosbloom deck and have no idea how to play it. The CMU Blue deck is going to be a shock to most as well

I dunno. Maybe it's because I was playing at the time so these are decks I've known for 20 years but I don't think either are that bad for complexity/shock. I admit it's a bit hard to look at this stuff objectively since I'm familiar with it all.

That said, even as a kid Prosbloom was pretty straightforward when it was first explained to me. It's a bit harder to play and more likely to whiff than it originally was due to modern rules about when you lose at 0 life but the general play path should still be pretty clear I'd think?

f0rk

http://magicorganizedplay.tumblr.com/post/157244798901/grand-prix-sunday-ptq-formats

"Therefore, we decided that PTQs would be Standard for all Limited Grand Prix and Limited for all Constructed Grand Prix."

"Additionally, from an Organized Play standpoint, we want our tournaments that are for the express purpose of qualifying a player for the Pro Tour to be of a format that players will actually play on the Pro Tour: Standard or Limited."

This is explicitly killing organised Modern lol? I guess the use of 'express' is to say PPTQs and GPs still exist, but they really need to put forward a plan for the format because at the moment it really looks like what people feared when they first took it off the PT.

bigkrev

I dunno. Maybe it's because I was playing at the time so these are decks I've known for 20 years but I don't think either are that bad for complexity/shock. I admit it's a bit hard to look at this stuff objectively since I'm familiar with it all.

That said, even as a kid Prosbloom was pretty straightforward when it was first explained to me. It's a bit harder to play and more likely to whiff than it originally was due to modern rules about when you lose at 0 life but the general play path should still be pretty clear I'd think?

Prosbloom is not particularly tough to pilot once you know the general thrust but it's probably just about impossible to figure out from scratch, heh.

I'm not 100% sure, but this deck may predate the modern Mulligan rule. And yes, not being able to go to 0 life is a real issue with this deck when you have 4x Infernal Contract, 4x Vampiric Tutor and 4x City of Brass, which makes it SIGNIFICANTLY more risky to combo in the face of instant speed burn spells, which now instantly win the game instead of letting you continue to go off
"Additionally, from an Organized Play standpoint, we want our tournaments that are for the express purpose of qualifying a player for the Pro Tour to be of a format that players will actually play on the Pro Tour: Standard or Limited."

This is explicitly killing organised Modern lol? I guess the use of 'express' is to say PPTQs and GPs still exist, but they really need to put forward a plan for the format because at the moment it really looks like what people feared when they first took it off the PT.

Yeah, there are no more high level Modern events outside of GPs anymore. It's kind of rotten!

OnPoint

No, because the whole point of everything they have done is to push standard as hard as possible. Why kill a successful format to push your more money-generating format just to introduce more competition?
One (wrong) answer: Hard to sell Modern Masters boxes when Modern doesn't matter. They'd need a replacement for that slot.

OnPoint

They killed Legacy years ago and sold Eternal Masters just fine.
I mean, I admited the answer was wrong in the answer lol. I'd also argue most bought Eternal Masters for Commander.

I would be curious to see how well an Eternal Masters 2 would move. I guess it would depend on pricing and selection.

Bandini

In pushing Standard so hard while neglecting other formats, Wizards is just screwing themselves over long term. If people don't have another format to fall back on when they inevitably get tired of Standard, they'll find something else to play. More healthy formats means more players buying more product.

Also, they're partnered with all these LGSs but can't do better than crappy random promos once a month? Give people incentive to show up for FNM, have rotating monthly format staples as prizes. They can dole out supply based on attendance. The more prize support the better.

Ashodin

The way I see it, Wizards wants two things:

PROFESSIONAL, HIGH VALUE FORMAT: Standard

CASUAL, LOW VALUE FORMAT: Commander

Both products and formats are hugely popular, and serve the widest demographics.

In pushing Standard so hard while neglecting other formats, Wizards is just screwing themselves over long term. If people don't have another format to fall back on when they inevitably get tired of Standard, they'll find something else to play. More healthy formats means more players buying more product.

Also, they're partnered with all these LGSs but can't do better than crappy random promos once a month? Give people incentive to show up for FNM, have rotating monthly format staples as prizes. They can dole out supply based on attendance. The more prize support the better.

You give FNM promo foils of good cards, attendance is high. Who would have thought?

(Promo Blessed Alliance would have been fucking sweet)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

You can qualify with Modern by Top 8ing a GP (lol)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
My opinion is that is doesn't actually matter if Modern is a good competitive format because Magic is a bad competitive game (it is, it's a luck based game). Just leave it in the PT rotation and fuck it, add Legacy.

what is people's theory for why their plan would be to kill modern

is it just like "man we're making too much money selling overpriced sets supporting this format" or what

they're not killing modern

My opinion is that is doesn't actually matter if Modern is a good competitive format because Magic is a bad competitive game (it is, it's a luck based game). Just leave it in the PT rotation and fuck it, add Legacy.

Honestly, I'd watch a yearly "Classic" PT-Level event, rotating between Legacy and Modern for the respective masters set that year.

is it just like "man we're making too much money selling overpriced sets supporting this format" or what

It's Wizards sucking at communication that's causing the "THEY'RE KILLING MODERN" belief. Wizards is throwing everything they can to try and save Standard at the expense of every other format. If they just went out and said "We know that Modern needs help, but right now our primary focus is Standard because we've unintentionally let it go to hell" there would be way less panicking.

In other words, two houses, one with a small microwave fire and the other blazing strong right next to flammable stuff, but everyone's acting like their equal.

wouldn't it be unlimited print run if it was that profitable?
Supply//Demand. You can sell $10 packs when they're a once a year rarity reprint wise. Not so when it's unlimited.

Ashodin

They're not killing modern.

They're killing modern.

What's to get about this? They will sell the sets to get money until the format is dead. Bleed dry.

bigkrev

The problem is that they have been steadily removing high level play. First, they tried to kill the Pro Tour, and there was enough backlash to stop that. Then, they wait a year and kill the Pro Tour, but make the World Magic Cup a Modern tournament so that there is still a professional-level tournament with the format. Now, they got rid of that, so there is nothing but Grand Prix (only 5 weekends this year) level events. I'd bet you $10 that later this year, they will be removing the modern portion from the Magic World Championship as well

f0rk

You can qualify with Modern by Top 8ing a GP (lol)
Yeah that's what I mean about 'express', I guess they see it as people play GPs to do well in that specific tournament rather than qualify for another.

The biggest Modern events in my country each year are the WMCQs (now dead) and a very well supported GPT with flights and/or cases as a prize (no longer has official support). The last event is really driven by the store so could still happen but it's damaged by not having wizards offering anything for it. They aren't offering any replacement and they are using language that makes it look like they don't care at all.

Honestly, I'd watch a yearly "Classic" PT-Level event, rotating between Legacy and Modern for the respective masters set that year.

Yeah, I think something like this would be a good idea. The all-Standard Pro Tour is a good idea for the purpose it serves, but they need to sprinkle a couple more high-prestige events in the year that showcase something a little different, and Modern is a good choice for that.

It's Wizards sucking at communication that's causing the "THEY'RE KILLING MODERN" belief. Wizards is throwing everything they can to try and save Standard at the expense of every other format. If they just went out and said "We know that Modern needs help, but right now our primary focus is Standard because we've unintentionally let it go to hell" there would be way less panicking.

Yes, I concur with this theory entirely.

The problem is that they have been steadily removing high level play. First, they tried to kill the Pro Tour, and there was enough backlash to stop that. Then, they wait a year and kill the Pro Tour, but make the World Magic Cup a Modern tournament so that there is still a professional-level tournament with the format. Now, they got rid of that, so there is nothing but Grand Prix (only 5 weekends this year) level events. I'd bet you $10 that later this year, they will be removing the modern portion from the Magic World Championship as well

They killed the Modern PT because it was a bad idea from the beginning and actually running those two PTs in that format pretty well established this fact. Everything else is kind of mincing around the margins in comparison.

Again, I think people are really inclined to assume there's a nonsensical sinister agenda behind everything WotC does when a mixture of coordination and communication issues will explain it just fine. Actively killing Modern -- a format WotC has spent tons of time and money building up and which they actively sell products to support -- would be completely illogical and self-destructive, but people want to read these tea leaves and see this secret evil plan with no logical benefit rather than just admit that because WotC's scrambling on Standard they're undersupporting Modern for the moment.

Ashodin

Nah. WoTC knows what they're doing, and regardless if they ignore formats, it's clear that Standard push is coming from above their paygrade. They'd like to support Modern more, but after MM2017, I don't think you'll see Modern Masters for a while.

I'm not 100% sure, but this deck may predate the modern Mulligan rule. And yes, not being able to go to 0 life is a real issue with this deck when you have 4x Infernal Contract, 4x Vampiric Tutor and 4x City of Brass, which makes it SIGNIFICANTLY more risky to combo in the face of instant speed burn spells, which now instantly win the game instead of letting you continue to go off

Funnily enough, the first Pro Tour to use the Paris Mulligan was PT LA which was the first PT after Visions released, which was followed by the eponymous PT Paris (which wasn't even supposed to use the rule but that's another story). As a result, Prosbloom was basically the deck that tested the rule.

OnPoint

I think the Masters sets are relatively important in terms of keeping older card prices down. As always, the spectre of the Reserved List will always limit the effectiveness of this as a means to making older formats more accessible, but it's good to get cards into new players' hands that wouldn't fit into any current Standard environment or New World Order set.

Tunoku

Speaking of Modern cards, I've been thinking about selling my Goblin Guides. I don't really play Modern much and I feel like we might get a reprint. I also got four Zendikar fetches (2 Mesa, 2 Scalding Tarn), wondering if I should keep them too.

Santiako

Speaking of failed formats, GP Pittsburgh offered 3 Frontier side tournaments and none of them managed to get even 8 players lol. Talk about short lived.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Speaking of failed formats, GP Pittsburgh offered 3 Frontier side tournaments and none of them managed to get even 8 players lol. Talk about short lived.

You mean a format created by a store to sell more cards is struggling to maintain momentum? Say it ain't so!

RIP Tiny Leaders
RIP 93/94
RIP Fronti—

kirblar

The only reason it succeeded was because Standard had shit the bed. The moment they put the bans out, it was dead.

Tunoku

I played in one Frontier tournament and we managed to do 4 rounds of swiss. I played Grixis Ensoul and it was pretty fun, except against Rally. My LGS still offers a weekly event, but not sure how many people show up. I mostly played that one time because it was during Standard Showdown weeks and I entered the Frontier event right afterwards. There was one pack of Khans for each player in the price pool, which is a nice incentive.

The selling point of Frontier was that it wasn't rotating, but the format had nothing to offer when every Standard that started at or near that point was awful.

As has been stated previously, Frontier has a bad starting point. When introduced it was basically the old 2 year Standard with M15 and Kaladesh added in so it's basically Standard+ rather of being like Modern or Extended. It includes fetches and duals (but only for allied colours) so if you wanted to get away from that then too bad. Etc.

Supast4r

It's literally only popular in Japan. Modern is just a better format if you like keeping your deck around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom