• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

noquarter

I like the idea of the tribal commander deck, but the tribes being banned really hampers it IMO. Is this the first time they have done this type of tournament? If not and those were the only tribes that showed up last time, cool. Otherwise I would really just get rid of Vamps Elves Goblins, maybe a couple others.

Plus 1v1 Sliver decks could be interesting, especially since you would probably have to wait on a few to play just to keep your opponent from having bigger better creatures than you. Just ban the one that gives them all infect and see what happens.

Hope the format takes off, make some money on my Volraths Laboratorys I have.

mr.beers

My brother was gifted a bunch of cards recently. So now he wants to play next time we see each other. I don't own any cards. They have bulk cards on Amazon for cheap will those be fine? Any other required items? Dice, etc.

Ashodin

My brother was gifted a bunch of cards recently. So now he wants to play next time we see each other. I don't own any cards. They have bulk cards on Amazon for cheap will those be fine? Any other required items? Dice, etc.

If you can get to a local game store, they can give you welcome decks for free. Those you can use to play kitchen table with your bro.

If he says he wants to play, then I would imagine he's bringing a deck for you to use. A quick way to get a fully-built deck is to just buy a Planeswalker Deck, which can potentially be found in mass market stores like Wal-Mart.

No Legendary Druids

267.jpg

Ashodin

Eh he's such a chump in onslaught.

ay I said Odyssey. Onslaught is only cool because of Kamahl's color shift. That shit was mindblowing back in the day.

Trivia: Kamahl's hair was burnt off as a Barbarian, it's only when he learned green druid magic that he could regrow his hair

198.jpg

aaaand just like that I have the urge to rebuild him in EDH

ay I said Odyssey. Onslaught is only cool because of Kamahl's color shift. That shit was mindblowing back in the day.

Trivia: Kamahl's hair was burnt off as a Barbarian, it's only when he learned green druid magic that he could regrow his hair

I actually confused him with Stonebrow, Seton just gets unceremoniously killed off by Braids, still makes him a chump tho.

Kamahl's armor is so iconic for me but I prefer this art of him in 10th edition
c4dbffbdd7094d59dee7b3305ac1920b.jpg

It's all like "Kamahl's coming for you, time to shit your pants."

Ashodin

I actually confused him with Stonebrow, Seton just gets unceremoniously killed off by Braids, still makes him a chump tho.

I'm actually surprised they brought Stonebrow into a card - he was the druid centaur that Kamahl empowered with the Mirari. That wasn't an expected card

I love Chainer as a card too

56.jpg

Nightmare tribal!

jph139

God I love the Odyssey era art. The chunky, knockoff Frazetta style. Like, it's so absolutely emblematic of the 90s/early 2000s in fantasy and gaming for me.

Kamahl, Pit Fighter was the first rare I ever got, years before I even learned how to play. A Kamahl Masterpiece is something I would buy just for the sentimental value.

I stand by Golems. Either set up some degenerate bullshit with Precursor Golem, or just twat them in the face with Blightsteel Colossus, Darksteel Colossus, etc. Plus there's a weird amount of Golem Tribal support between generic "make artifacts broken" cards and the Splicers as tribal "friends".

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I stand by Golems. Either set up some degenerate bullshit with Precursor Golem, or just twat them in the face with Blightsteel Colossus, Darksteel Colossus, etc. Plus there's a weird amount of Golem Tribal support between generic "make artifacts broken" cards and the Splicers as tribal "friends".

Your only commander options are Karn and Bosh though, meaning you've either got colorless or mono-red color identity

hermit7

I'm actually surprised they brought Stonebrow into a card - he was the druid centaur that Kamahl empowered with the Mirari. That wasn't an expected card

I love Chainer as a card too

56.jpg

Nightmare tribal!

Chainer is indeed sweet. Probably my favorite edh deck that I have. The ability to reanimate anything in anyone's yard at instant speed makes for some sweet combat situations.

I didn't post my thoughts on this new banlist for mtgo edh, but I think it is better than the RCs honestly. I am not too hung up by losing fast mana rocks, and the loss of doomsday is fine by me. I think that they cut a lot of powerful cards from different archetypes: cradle for creature matchups, blatant combo engines, mana drain/ back to basics/ humility/ tabernacle for stax or control.

They hit a lot of powerful things that are definitively problematic. Hopefully the RC takes some of this quidance and data that becomes available and makes more informed decisions for bans.

Your only commander options are Karn and Bosh though, meaning you've either got colorless or mono-red color identity

Yeah, though with either you're probably running 90% artifacts anyway given their whole schtick. Throw in that golem that gives everything Affinity for Artifacts and maybe an Inspiring Statuary as an Honorary Golem.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I typed Druid under type not subtype. I blame tiredness

Apparently they literally couldn't come up with any other red-green older lore character who could fit their list of rules.

bigkrev

Apparently they literally couldn't come up with any other red-green older lore character who could fit their list of rules.

Would have been a perfect time to print an Urza legend card from his younger pre-Planeswalker days, before he went full Simic.....

This Amonkhet art review goes into a lot of detail about aspects of the flavor and brings up things I hadn't considered, like the fact that in Honored Crop Captain, even though the art only contains black people, the one front and center has lighter skin than the rest, and how troublesome that is.

Isn't that because they're in shadow and she's got light shining down on her?

The author even mentions that in the article and says that nobody was talking about this "controversy" before they made it up out of thin air. Maybe because it's so rushed and poorly written otherwise the author went for the troll bait strategy.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
We're starting a Tribal Commander Challenge at our store.

qfnyWVU.jpg

I've claimed Knights as my tribe.

I like the rules on this one, as it bans a lot of the OP tribal cards to make it more friendly. Also a lot of the OP tribes are banned.
You need to tell them to add Faeries to the banned list, actually.

BLCKATK

This Amonkhet art review goes into a lot of detail about aspects of the flavor and brings up things I hadn't considered, like the fact that in Honored Crop Captain, even though the art only contains black people, the one front and center has lighter skin than the rest, and how troublesome that is.

That article is really awesome and in-depth. Got to appreciate a lot more of what went into crafting the story of these cards. Very cool.

The Honored Crop Captain thing is something I noticed when I pulled the card this weekend. My intial thought was that it was an intentional detail for story reasons, but I am extremely unfamiliar with MTG lore. To hear otherwise is interesting.

Wait what? There gotta someone better than Stonebrow.
Why not make an embodiment for Krosa, Kamahl was talking to the individual Krosa a couple times.

Best would have been Kamahl after he decided to Kill Jeska.

Stonebrow was shit he fought once then joined a cult.

Wulfric

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";235674070]The author even mentions that in the article and says that nobody was talking about this "controversy" before they made it up out of thin air. Maybe because it's so rushed and poorly written otherwise the author went for the troll bait strategy.[/QUOTE]

Don't get me wrong, Mike Linnemann writes awesome art articles, but I have to agree that part was a little off base. Literally no one online has been talking about this "controversy". He could have deleted the entire section on this card and I don't think anyone would have noticed.

He even admits on Reddit to this being something he can't really talk about very well:

HCC as racist is hard. Is colorism racist if unintentional? That's not for me to dive into, I haven't the experience there.

I praise the aethetic balance in Hapatra because snack people are not black people. Were they dark skinned black guards, it would be wholly different. We can dive into allusion but it isn't as apparent as staring in your face like it is with HCC. Less people will see the snakes as symbol, and that's the key difference. Even so, art can still be striking to be visible at card size and also be problematic.

The creative consultant who worked on Kaya's story, Monique Jones, thought it was simply overlooked. And she didn't work on AKH in case you're wondering:

But with these criticisms laid bare, let me overtly say this: I don't think there's any malice inherent in the making of this picture. I don't think the artist meant ill will, and I don't even think they realized that having darker folks in the back gawking at a lighter skinned person could be seen as anything other than what it visibly is on the surface. All it could be is just a good old-fashioned blind spot. We all have them, including me, and I'm sure some of my own blind spots have been apparent in my artwork of the past (such as not having enough variance in body shapes, I'll readily admit).

I tried my hand at another foil peel alter.
My biggest issue is not the rough cut edges but that I went all fancy peeling the art of a regular card then glueing Narset on and now it's all flimsy feeling. The card just bends too easily now.

Gonna try again with quiet contemplation instead of anticipate.

DrArchon

As a fun little exercise, I mocked up an EDH deck with those tribal specific house rules to see how easy it would be. I went with Kalemne RW Giants because, hey, Giants need love too.

Turns out, finding 27 decent creatures of a specific type is really hard, and doesn't leave a ton of room for other creatures that aren't of that type. There might just be a lot of shitty Giants out there from way back in the day, but I was struggling to find decent ones once I went through the Lorwyn/Shadowmoor ones. That + the lack of ability to add utility creatures unless they directly reference the tribe in their text or art means you're really relying on your non-creature cards to do a lot more for you.

I would love for something like this to be an official EDH variant though, though the rules could stand to be changed a little. 27 creatures of a specific type is a tough bar to clear, maybe they should consider dropping it to help out less popular creature types. As it stands, some set specific tribes have no chance of being used, and that's a shame.

As a fun little exercise, I mocked up an EDH deck with those tribal specific house rules to see how easy it would be. I went with Kalemne RW Giants because, hey, Giants need love too.

Turns out, finding 27 decent creatures of a specific type is really hard, and doesn't leave a ton of room for other creatures that aren't of that type. There might just be a lot of shitty Giants out there from way back in the day, but I was struggling to find decent ones once I went through the Lorwyn/Shadowmoor ones. That + the lack of ability to add utility creatures unless they directly reference the tribe in their text or art means you're really relying on your non-creature cards to do a lot more for you.

I would love for something like this to be an official EDH variant though, though the rules could stand to be changed a little. 27 creatures of a specific type is a tough bar to clear, maybe they should consider dropping it to help out less popular creature types. As it stands, some set specific tribes have no chance of being used, and that's a shame.

I'd definitely say that the rules would need to be tweaked to allow tokens; for example Feudkiller's Verdict and Reach of Branches should count but I don't think they technically do.

DrArchon

I'd definitely say that the rules would need to be tweaked to allow tokens; for example Feudkiller's Verdict and Reach of Branches should count but I don't think they technically do.

The rules only mention creatures, so I'd say tribal cards don't count. It's not a huge issue because they're only available for a few non-banned tribes, and I'd probably be running them anyway if the Kinship cards are good enough, but still. Other token makers should count though, like Cloudgoat Ranger in a Kithin deck.

Yeah, I'd say lower that creature count for sure (every deck having that many creatures basically just turns it into "27 creatures + goodstuff in Commander's colors" since you don't have enough headroom to include any real fun build-around type stuff).

Rather than banning entire tribes, I'd probably just ban a few of the really overwhelming cards from the banned tribes, too. A person should damn well be able to play Zombies or Wizards in Tribal EDH, just make the necessary cuts so that the decks aren't ridiculously overpowering.

Well, Hazoret's monument is the picture that is in every single Amonkhet product. So she's more recognisable that way.

Yeah, I guess she might actually be the most prominent thing in the marketing, and it's just that I haven't seen much in the way of marketing compared to all of the pomp of the last few blocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom