• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zocano

RTR standard with esper/UW control was the most horrid slog to play against. Burn it all down.

edit: just reprint Force of Will, Deep Analysis, Brainstorm, and Fact or Fiction in Hour of Devestation (Force of Will def won't cause they just printed it as a masterpiece but a man can dream)

Let Nicol Bolas' return destroy Magic itself.

RTR standard with esper/UW control was the most horrid slog to play against. Burn it all down.

edit: just reprint Force of Will, Deep Analysis, Brainstorm, and Fact or Fiction in Hour of Devestation (Force of Will def won't cause they just printed it as a masterpiece but a man can dream)

"We were just going to leave Cat unbanned to drive home the Hour of Devastation theme, but this sounds like a way better idea!"

Daedardus

I'm fine with that, as long as FoW becomes uncommon again, and they unban Deathrite Shaman and reprint Fastbond to balance things out for Shadow aggro.

Considering that UW control was 1% percent of the meta prior to getting Gideon of the Trails/As fortold/Censor, yeah 4% is a big jump for the deck. A colorless deck has twice the share because it has a land that taps for two mana or did you forget that? It's the reason why tron has been fused into this deck. Blue DID get those cards unbanned and they had a good reason for banning them since combo/faeries ran rampant in extended; another fact that you leave out. You complain about Mystic yet want it unbanned. You do realize that decks like Abzan/bant eldrazi just slot it in since Mystic is EASILY splashable in most decks. We didnt' get a great counterspell becasue blue has a snapcaster mage effect in it's colors in torrential gearhulk and the last thing that they want to do is make draw go good. (which again there are different types of control decks)

Things are NEVER going to be balanced because the best in the world will figure a way to find the busted strategies. This is true in EVERY COMPETITIVE GAME IN HISTORY. Things are always a give and take. In order to play answers in modern and do well on a consistent basis, you need discard + liliana at the base because those answers are better than most other answers. We all remember the old days when blue/black got crazy good non-creature spells while other colors got left by the waste-side. With the release of Hour of Devatastion and wizards's commitment to making better answers, I'm hopeful. Also show me the stats where eldrazi tron is 11 percent because you are just making up stats. Here is the last tier list that they have made and eldrazi tron is 6-7% of the meta which isn't warping. It sounds like you just hate the deck. If you do there are other formats such as standard.

(https://www.mainphasemtg.net/gaming...ered-list-weekly-update-and-analysis-for-5817)

I'm taking my stats from MTGTop8, where Eldrazi Tron was 11% as of the last time I saw it. UW Control has been 3-4% for the past 2 months(since Dredge was banned), so politely shut up about this idea that it jumped 4%. As Foretold is a shit card in Modern that is useless when dropped on 3 without another card.
The
Also, fuck off with this bullshit idea that Mystic would be slotted into Bant Eldrazi. The only non Eldrazi Creature it runs is Hierarch because it wants to accelerate out it's threats. They'd not run a Non Eldrazi Creature that eats up 6+ Slots to be any good. Abzan would be forced to choose between Death's Shadow and Mystic, you can't run both. I don't see how that's this big evil of the format.

Whatever, we're arguing in circles and this is going nowhere. I'll just leave it with that I'd gladly switch to Legacy if the dual Lands were ever reprinted.

Tunoku

Get Out finally came out here. It's amazing and everyone has to see it.

@Firemind

GPTs paid the travel fees? How so? At least they don't do anymore.

Firemind

Get Out finally came out here. It's amazing and everyone has to see it.

@Firemind

GPTs paid the travel fees? How so? At least they don't do anymore.
Well not all the travel fees. You just get a cash prize depending on the amount of participants and prize support in packs are provided by Wizards.

Tunoku

That's pretty different from my GPT experience. The one I went to had no decklist requirement and no entry fee, and therefore no prize support aside from the two byes for the winner of the Trial.

TheFlow

Banned
looking at future releases. Iconic monsters sounds amazing.

anyway from the 4 boosters I opened the rarest ones:

Curator of Mysteries
Image.ashx

Sheltered thicket
129685_200w.jpg

Dread Wanderer
Image.ashx

Sandwurm Convergence.
Image.ashx

also got a shiny common.

Firemind

Mind you I haven't entered a GPT in like ten years.

This is my second Amonkhet draft and every time I get blown the fuck out by the six mana 6/6 trampler with embalm. How is this not a 2-for-1 every time you cast it? And the embalm cost is only four mana. Ridiculous.

I can't watch psycho thrillers. I can watch shit like Saw because it's stupid but from what I've seen of Get Out I'd wet my pants.

Anyways I received my Foil Neheb copy and I'm once again left aghast how terribly it's templated. First let's take a look.
First look at how much text there is. It's a cool card, I made a commander deck with him but that deck ignores half the text on the card.

It's a mess in limited. It has First Strike, simple. It gives other Minotaurs First Strike ok now you have to check creature types. It gives ALL Minotaurs +2/+0 (this time including Neheb) but only if there's 1 or fewer cards in hand, now you also have to check opponent's cards in hand as well as creature types. If that wasn't enough he's only the 2nd creature in existence that makes the controller of it also discard. I've had to correct so many people playing the card that's it's not a Lili's Spectre.

A couple years back WotC changed the wording from creatures granting keyword abilities as a static effect from "All creatures gain XYZ" to "XYZ. Other creatures gain XYZ" it's generally a simpler approach and at times more aesthetically pleasing. With Neheb on the other hand it leads to this clusterfuck.

Mind you I haven't entered a GPT in like ten years.

This is my second Amonkhet draft and every time I get blown the fuck out by the six mana 6/6 trampler with embalm. How is this not a 2-for-1 every time you cast it? And the embalm cost is only four mana. Ridiculous.
I splashed Honored Hydra in my first Amonkhet draft, not just because I basically had no win condition, 1 Forest and an Evolving Wilds I picked fairly high.

First look at how much text there is. It's a cool card, I made a commander deck with him but that deck ignores half the text on the card.

It's a mess in limited. It has First Strike, simple. It gives other Minotaurs First Strike ok now you have to check creature types. It gives ALL Minotaurs +2/+0 (this time including Neheb) but only if there's 1 or fewer cards in hand, now you also have to check opponent's cards in hand as well as creature types. If that wasn't enough he's only the 2nd creature in existence that makes the controller of it also discard. I've had to correct so many people playing the card that's it's not a Lili's Spectre.

A couple years back WotC changed the wording from creatures granting keyword abilities as a static effect from "All creatures gain XYZ" to "XYZ. Other creatures gain XYZ" it's generally a simpler approach and at times more aesthetically pleasing. With Neheb on the other hand it leads to this clusterfuck.

I splashed Honored Hydra in my first Amonkhet draft, not just because I basically had no win condition, 1 Forest and an Evolving Wilds I picked fairly high.

So here you have a problem with the number of lines of text. You could say "Neheb and other Minotaurs you control gain yada yada yada," but then you'd make another line of text and have to shrink the font size.

EDIT: Actually, you might make the last paragraph take up one less line of text now that I think about it since you get to shrink the card's name after the first time it appears (I believe that's still part of the style guide). So it would read

First Strike

Other Minotaurs you control have first
strike

As long as you have one or fewer cards in
hand, Neheb, the Worthy and other
Minotaurs you control get +2/+0.

Whenever Neheb deals combat damage to
a player, each player discards a card.

So carry on, that doesn't matter - it washes out.

With regards to both players discarding - it should feel "right" to have both players discard because it fuels his Uno! ability.

So here you have a problem with the number of lines of text. You could say "Neheb and other Minotaurs you control gain yada yada yada," but then you'd make another line of text and have to shrink the font size.

EDIT: Actually, you might make the last paragraph take up one less line of text now that I think about it since you get to shrink the card's name after the first time it appears (I believe that's still part of the style guide). So it would read

So carry on, that doesn't matter - it washes out.

With regards to both players discarding - it should feel "right" to have both players discard because it fuels his Uno! ability.

It's not that I think there's a better way to template the card, it's just a mess like this. And yeah the self discard is part of the synergy but people in limited constantly misread cards and there's a lot to miss with Neheb. The issue remains of having to check too many things for an only mediocre card, he should have been a 1/2 for 2 mana instead.

Tunoku

I'm trading away my Eternal Masters Karakas for two Ulamogs and some other smaller stuff I want for Gifts Storm. Solid deal for me? I feel like with Ulamog, it's a low risk trade as I both need the card right now and it's being played in multiple formats and will always be a casual favorite.

Santiako

I'm trading away my Eternal Masters Karakas for two Ulamogs and some other smaller stuff I want for Gifts Storm. Solid deal for me? I feel like with Ulamog, it's a low risk trade as I both need the card right now and it's being played in multiple formats and will always be a casual favorite.

I'm always in favour of trading into stuff you'll use. Having the card sit there in a binder doing nothing is just pointless.

People misread Neheb's ability because deep in their soul they know Hellbent is trash and their mind rebels against supporting it on a card they want to play.

ironmang

Competitive deck prices fyi:

Vintage: $15,000+
Legacy: $2,000-3,000
Modern: $700-1500
Standard: ~$200

But you can make a fun deck for way less and just play with your friends :).

Modern Burn and Legacy Death and Taxes can both be had for under those lows and are very competitive decks. D&T in particular I'd recommend getting pieces if someone wanted to have access to a good legacy deck since you can get the 3 Karakas and 4 Wastelands for under 200 easy and I imagine Port will show up in Iconic Masters and tank as well.

10-5. Solid run for first GP.

Congratz dude. I was also there and managed to go 6-3 day 1 with a fairly mediocre pool that relied HEAVILY on Oketra for wins. Drafted what I thought was a pretty great deck and even beat my round 10 opponent who had Rhonas, 2 Hazorets, and Vizier of the Menagerie. Lost the next 2 rounds to decks I felt I should have beaten then rare drafted (lol) and went and played legacy.

ironmang

Here was my draft:

Guy to my left wasn't too happy that I passed a p1p1 Champion of Rhonas for a Croc and then proceeded to stay in green. He's a fairly well known grinder so I guess I'm supposed to take the inferior card for signalling purposes but I'm confident I made the right choice and felt I drafted a 3-0 deck. All 3 matches were close with me falling on the wrong sides of a Lay Claim and white trial edging out games 1 and 3 in my 3rd match.

They really should do something about the PTQ system for the GPs too. $50 single elimination standard tournament at a limited GP is just dumb for so many reasons. Would be better if they at least just used the old Super Sunday Series system where they ran 2 separate tournaments, 1 sealed and 1 standard, with the top 4 from each meeting for a top 8 draft.

y2dvd

Here was my draft:

Guy to my left wasn't too happy that I passed a p1p1 Champion of Rhonas for a Croc and then proceeded to stay in green. He's a fairly well known grinder so I guess I'm supposed to take the inferior card for signalling purposes but I'm confident I made the right choice and felt I drafted a 3-0 deck. All 3 matches were close with me falling on the wrong sides of a Lay Claim and white trial edging out games 1 and 3 in my 3rd match.

They really should do something about the PTQ system for the GPs too. $50 single elimination standard tournament at a limited GP is just dumb for so many reasons. Would be better if they at least just used the old Super Sunday Series system where they ran 2 separate tournaments, 1 sealed and 1 standard, with the top 4 from each meeting for a top 8 draft.

Croc is easily better and I did the same thing this last draft of passing up Champion of Rhonas. Champion can be answered, and it has to exert and possibly trade to get any value. Croc simply takes over once dropped.

ironmang

Croc is easily better and I did the same thing this last draft of passing up Champion of Rhonas. Champion can be answered, and it has to exert and possibly trade to get any value. Croc simply takes over once dropped.

Ya when he was pressing me asking like "what am I supposed to think when I get passed this?" I was thinking about saying "that the guy to your right doesn't first pick hill giants" but didn't want to sound dickish lol.

Supast4r

I'm taking my stats from MTGTop8, where Eldrazi Tron was 11% as of the last time I saw it. UW Control has been 3-4% for the past 2 months(since Dredge was banned), so politely shut up about this idea that it jumped 4%. As Foretold is a shit card in Modern that is useless when dropped on 3 without another card.
The
Also, fuck off with this bullshit idea that Mystic would be slotted into Bant Eldrazi. The only non Eldrazi Creature it runs is Hierarch because it wants to accelerate out it's threats. They'd not run a Non Eldrazi Creature that eats up 6+ Slots to be any good. Abzan would be forced to choose between Death's Shadow and Mystic, you can't run both. I don't see how that's this big evil of the format.

Whatever, we're arguing in circles and this is going nowhere. I'll just leave it with that I'd gladly switch to Legacy if the dual Lands were ever reprinted.
Show me where you got this info because you are just pulling stats out of your butt. UW control was a tier 2-3 deck prior to the printing of the new cards. The deck got better with the new cards and that's not arguable. The deck has a higher usasge now then it had then. Your hostility makes your look silly.

Abzan midrange (no shadows) is a tier 1 deck and yes they would play it. Bant eldrazi would easily play mystic and cut eldrazi skyspawner since it helps them against aggro. I own 8 Mystic, 2 sword of feast and 2 batterskull so yeah I would love it being unbanned but this is reality. Honestly the best card to unbanned to help control is dig through time and that pushes scapeshift over the top. Eldrazi tron hasn't ever been 11 percent unless you combine tron with it which makes no sense.

Ya when he was pressing me asking like "what am I supposed to think when I get passed this?" I was thinking about saying "that the guy to your right doesn't first pick hill giants" but didn't want to sound dickish lol.

You're 100% right and he was just being salty. Champion of Rhonas is fine, but not amazing, and Croc is way better. Good on you for taking the high road.

Daedardus

Modern Burn and Legacy Death and Taxes can both be had for under those lows and are very competitive decks. D&T in particular I'd recommend getting pieces if someone wanted to have access to a good legacy deck since you can get the 3 Karakas and 4 Wastelands for under 200 easy and I imagine Port will show up in Iconic Masters and tank as well.

Of course, there will always be cheaper decks than can put up great results too. I just quoted some of the median prices that people spend on a deck. There are some cards that can be left out without damaging the core of the deck, like reducing the number of enemy fetchlands, or very specific sideboard cards.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member

Shame on you for taking the high road. Should have let loose on that haughty self-centered prick.

Tunoku

Here was my draft:

Champion of Rhonas is so mediocre compared to the Crocodile. You absolutely made the right choice. In a format about racing, a 4 mana 4/3 with haste is just way better. Not saying that the Champion is a bad card, but it needs way more work and probably some luck as well to actually get there.

Firemind

So I was doing research for a Ravnica fanart I'm working on and found Alexander Gregory's personal website. I guess he was on the concept push?
I remember I saw some of the concept art on an article published on the old mothership. Partly why Ravnica worked as a fantasy world. They released snippets of information over the course of months to get people excited. First with raw sketches and overall view of the ten guilds. Then slowly building up towards individual articles for each guild and their backstory with finished art. Marvelous marketing.

Legacy Merfolk is also like $1000. Charbelcher is $600. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

DrArchon

Here was my draft:

Yeah, I'd pick Croc over Champ any day of the week. Totally the right call there. Every time I've seen Champion of Rhonas in limited it's either a) died before it got to do anything, or b) cheated one creature into play but died in the process, and unless you're able to consistently cheat in some big monster like Greater Sandwurm you're usually trading your 3/3 with no abilities for something that's not much bigger if at all.

Meanwhile, Crocodile of the Crossing is ALREADY a creature you want to cheat in with Champ, so why not just play that instead?

red13th

Drafted by cube (2 people glimpse draft) for the first time in a loooong time. My buddy hadn't played Magic since like Urza's Saga and with a few quick explanations of how equipment and planeswalkers work he proceeded to beat me 2-1 by drawing Jitte both games. I love MtG.

DrArchon

am I allowed to use lands cards from past sets as long as they are basic??

Yep. They're all the same except for art. If the card is available in the current sets you can use it even it's an older version of that card. Meaning you can keep on using those sweet full art original Zendikar block basic lands until the end of time.

So I was doing research for a Ravnica fanart I'm working on and found Alexander Gregory's personal website. I guess he was on the concept push?

I wish wizards released their guidebooks for public consumption. It feels like a waste to not let all that art see the light of day.

My understanding is that the Artbooks they've been doing recently are basically the guidebooks with a bit of extra polish.

Have they been? I assumed they were using only complete art pieces in the books, not the concept stuff. I've only ever seen images in them referenced in relation to the BFZ block art debacle.

Daedardus

am I allowed to use lands cards from past sets as long as they are basic??

As long as a card has the same name as a card legal in a certain format you're allowed to use that version. Many older cards have their wording, but not meaning, updated to be more clear to players, but you can use those versions too! If someone else plays an older card and you're unsure how the card really works, you can always look up the most recent revision in the Gatherer or places like www.magiccards.info. It also includes the relevant rules text and even clarification for some special situations.

Yeef

Looking into it further, it looks like the artbooks don't have concept sketches and guides. That's unfortunate.

TheFlow

Banned
As long as a card has the same name as a card legal in a certain format you're allowed to use that version. Many older cards have their wording, but not meaning, updated to be more clear to players, but you can use those versions too! If someone else plays an older card and you're unsure how the card really works, you can always look up the most recent revision in the Gatherer or places like www.magiccards.info. It also includes the relevant rules text and even clarification for some special situations.

this is also good information

Show me where you got this info because you are just pulling stats out of your butt. UW control was a tier 2-3 deck prior to the printing of the new cards. The deck got better with the new cards and that's not arguable. The deck has a higher usasge now then it had then. Your hostility makes your look silly.

Abzan midrange (no shadows) is a tier 1 deck and yes they would play it. Bant eldrazi would easily play mystic and cut eldrazi skyspawner since it helps them against aggro. I own 8 Mystic, 2 sword of feast and 2 batterskull so yeah I would love it being unbanned but this is reality. Honestly the best card to unbanned to help control is dig through time and that pushes scapeshift over the top. Eldrazi tron hasn't ever been 11 percent unless you combine tron with it which makes no sense.

I told you, MTGTop8, but evidently you can't read.

UW Control has been on an uptick since January.

Whatever, I'm done.

Justin

If you use a untap ability on an exerted creature the exert token stays on correct? Can it exert again if there is an extra combat round like with combat celebrant? It seems like if you use an ability that untaps it but dont attack then it would come off but if you attack again then it stays on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom