• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFlow

Banned
haha dumb question. but man that is a cool thing to have. allows you to get to the cards you want quicker.

and damn I have like 3 of those greater sandwurms.

Yeef

Another thing to note is that cycling (like all abilities unless they say otherwise) can be used at instant speed. So you can leave up mana to bluff and then cycle cards at the end of your opponent's turn.

TheFlow

Banned
Another thing to note is that cycling (like all abilities unless they say otherwise) can be used at instant speed. So you can leave up mana to bluff and then cycle cards at the end of your opponent's turn.

:OOOOOOOOOOOO. mind blown. that changed up how I might build deck.

I was hoping to get some constructive criticism/feedback on my B/G deck I have put together. I have only been playing since Amonkhet released, so thats why I have only chosen Amonkhet cards. It is also my first real attempt at putting together a deck for play. I am open to suggestions though for standard cards that may be better/do the same for less etc, as my local game store sells singles so i'm sure I can pick up the odd card from there. The aim of the deck is to play Blue to remove/counter while I build mana to get the big creatures out. I have a few cards I think will help with this, as I can tap them to add mana etc. I have also got some split lands to play Magma Spray and Compulsory Rest specifically.

https://deckstats.net/decks/86387/728967-bg-amonkhet

First tip B is for Black and U stands for Blue in Magic since they share the first 2 letters.

If you want to stick to the 4 colours I'd recommend playing 4 evolving wilds. Slither Blade doesn't do anything in your deck, you're better off with a card that helps your gameplan. If you're looking for removal, blue already gives you access to essence scatter, which might be enough so you don't have to run red for the 2 magma sprays.

Another win condition could be drake heaven, there's a considerably amount of cyclers in your deck already.

Ashodin

I'm so glad Standard isn't a
GIRKi7W.gif
any more

First tip B is for Black and U stands for Blue in Magic since they share the first 2 letters.

If you want to stick to the 4 colours I'd recommend playing 4 evolving wilds. Slither Blade doesn't do anything in your deck, you're better off with a card that helps your gameplan. If you're looking for removal, blue already gives you access to essence scatter, which might be enough so you don't have to run red for the 2 magma sprays.

Another win condition could be drake heaven, there's a considerably amount of cyclers in your deck already.

Thanks, I didnt realise about the naming, I will know from now on. I took out the Slither Blades, I had them in so I would have something to play turn 1 potentially. I replaced it with Essence Scatter and removed Magma Spray and Sheltered Thicket.

https://deckstats.net/decks/86387/728967-ug-amonkhet

:OOOOOOOOOOOO. mind blown. that changed up how I might build deck.

Bluffing's a big part of the game, especially in Limited (Draft/Sealed) where people can't really make a strong guess as to what the contents of your deck might be. A few things to note:

If the only card in your hand is a land, unless you need the mana for some activated ability on another card, keep it in your hand. The value of that card as being Schrodinger's Combat Trick is more valuable than an extra mana you can't spend on anything.

This can actually extend even to "real" cards that just won't have much if any meaningful impact on the current board state (ie, drawing a Monument in late-game topdeck). They are sometimes more valuable just as a bluff than they are in play.

You should pretend to remove some cards from your deck and put other cards in between rounds in a match, even if you end up not changing anything when it's all said and done. You want your opponent to believe there are cards they haven't seen yet in your deck, even when that isn't true.

The creatures that gain a bonus or do some other trick when you cycle a card (particularly the one that becomes indestructible until end of turn when you cycle) are a strong bluff even if you aren't running cycle cards. As long as your opponent hasn't seen your deck, they have to respect the potential that you could cycle if you have cards in hand and mana untapped.

You do not need to constantly rearrange your hand. This is a nervous tic some people have that they try hilariously hard to justify. No one who's playing Magic instead of Poker is going to read your expression and say, "Aha, he looked at his first card on the left every time I committed to an attack, but he played it last turn, that means he's got no tricks left! The rest of his hand must be blanks!"

Ashodin

You should pretend to remove some cards from your deck and put other cards in between rounds in a match, even if you end up not changing anything when it's all said and done. You want your opponent to believe there are cards they haven't seen yet in your deck, even when that isn't true.

ayyyy

and I'll constantly goddamn shuffle my hand if I want to

It helps me think

TheFlow

Banned
Bluffing's a big part of the game, especially in Limited (Draft/Sealed) where people can't really make a strong guess as to what the contents of your deck might be. A few things to note:

If the only card in your hand is a land, unless you need the mana for some activated ability on another card, keep it in your hand. The value of that card as being Schrodinger's Combat Trick is more valuable than an extra mana you can't spend on anything.

This can actually extend even to "real" cards that just won't have much if any meaningful impact on the current board state (ie, drawing a Monument in late-game topdeck). They are sometimes more valuable just as a bluff than they are in play.

The creatures that gain a bonus or do some other trick when you cycle a card (particularly the one that becomes indestructible until end of turn when you cycle) are a strong bluff even if you aren't running cycle cards. As long as your opponent hasn't seen your deck, they have to respect the potential that you could cycle if you have cards in hand and mana untapped.

You do not need to constantly rearrange your hand. This is a nervous tic some people have that they try hilariously hard to justify. No one who's playing Magic instead of Poker is going to read your expression and say, "Aha, he looked at his first card on the left every time I committed to an attack, but he played it last turn, that means he's got no tricks left! The rest of his hand must be blanks!"
basically don't get crazy about it, and don't pretend I am a character off of Yugioh.

ayyyy

and I'll constantly goddamn shuffle my hand if I want to

It helps me think

I rearrange my cards alphabetically sometimes. Nervous tics are practically mandatory since you spend half the game staring at your cards waiting for your turn (unless you play Draw-Go, you filthy mongrel), but they don't really contribute to your win ratio.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
You should pretend to remove some cards from your deck and put other cards in between rounds in a match, even if you end up not changing anything when it's all said and done. You want your opponent to believe there are cards they haven't seen yet in your deck, even when that isn't true

In draft I usually just shuffle really quickly and present my deck so my opponent will feel they need to catch up and in the process forget they have sideboard options

In draft I usually just shuffle really quickly and present my deck so my opponent will feel they need to catch up and in the process forget they have sideboard options

Pressure games to try and goad people into fast play can be a valid approach, certainly, though it usually works a lot better when you're super familiar with all the cards.

y2dvd

Went 3-0 with this sweet RB aggro deck, not dropping a game.

Pathmaker on Minotaur Sureshot, pump Sureshot was pretty funny. Won me some close matches. I also had a great sequence post board bringing in another Limits of Solidarity and 2 Flings. I got to steal their exert naga +2/+2, swing with everything, exerting naga. After damage, Fling naga to kill off their huge creature. Living the Traitorous/Fling combo!

Buddy got a Kaladesh prize pack. Said he wanted Torrential. Proceeds to open it. If all I needed to do is call my opens, I would've done it! I just open packs. >:/

Ashodin

Went 3-0 with this sweet RB aggro deck, not dropping a game.

Pathmaker on Minotaur Sureshot, pump Sureshot was pretty funny. Won me some close matches. I also had a great sequence post board bringing in another Limits of Solidarity and 2 Flings. I got to steal their exert naga +2/+2, swing with everything, exerting naga. After damage, Fling naga to kill off their huge creature. Living the Traitorous/Fling combo!

Buddy got a Kaladesh prize pack. Said he wanted Torrential. Proceeds to open it. If all I needed to do is call my opens, I would've done it! I just open packs. >:/

Damn that deck is sick af dude

Tunoku

I always find it funny when people miss a land drop and then on the next turn, when they've drawn a land off the top, proceed to shuffle their hand around intensly for a while, only to play a land right after. What are you covering up? Slam that thing as if you had just top-decked a Bonfire.

The new perspective deck goes against the spirit of the series a bit as the deck is all about winning 100% if new perspectives resolves.
Like that could be a legitimate competitive deck.

Hilarious video though.

DrArchon

Alright, made my attempt at coming up with a Commander decklist. I'm super inexperienced with the format, and I know some of you are really into EDH, so I was hoping that you could help me out. I don't want to put a ton of money into it or make it extremely competitive. At least for now.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/hapatra-aristocrat-of-poisons/

Yeah, looks perfectly fine from what I can see. Certainly better than any of my EDH decks. If you really wanted to improve it you could add more tutors and some mass artifact/enchantment removal, but other than that nothing glaring stands out.

Tunoku

Yeah, looks perfectly fine from what I can see. Certainly better than any of my EDH decks. If you really wanted to improve it you could add more tutors and some mass artifact/enchantment removal, but other than that nothing glaring stands out.

Thanks! I was thinking about adding a Diabolic Tutor as I don't wanna spend the money on Demonic Tutor or Worldly Tutor, but that card might be too slow even for commander. I feel like I'm covered when it comes to artifacts and enchantments with this guy: http://tappedout.net/mtg-card/wickerbough-elder/

DrArchon

Thanks! I was thinking about adding a Diabolic Tutor as I don't wanna spend the money on Demonic Tutor or Worldly Tutor, but that card might be too slow even for commander. I feel like I'm covered when it comes to artifacts and enchantments with this guy: http://tappedout.net/mtg-card/wickerbough-elder/

Wickerbough Elder is a great card to be sure, and it's even better in your kind of deck, but I was thinking about something like Creeping Corrosion or Bane of Progress. Commander is dominated by powerful artifacts and enchantments, and sometimes you really need to clear the whole board of them in one go. And mass artifact removal works really well for you deck because you don't have too many many rocks and are more focused on mana dorks instead.

Alright, made my attempt at coming up with a Commander decklist. I'm super inexperienced with the format, and I know some of you are really into EDH, so I was hoping that you could help me out. I don't want to put a ton of money into it or make it extremely competitive. At least for now.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/hapatra-aristocrat-of-poisons/

damn, that actually looks real powerful. Ashnod's Altar could be pretty good though you don't have many X Spells or manasinks.

Tunoku

damn, that actually looks real powerful. Ashnod's Altar could be pretty good though you don't have many X Spells or manasinks.

Yeah, I had it in there initially, but cut it once I realized I didn't really have that many manasinks. I need to post a list of other potential cards that I either cut or didn't even bother including because of the price. Like, Sheoldred is fucking awesome.

DrArchon

Looking through a couple of Hapatra EDH decks gave me a couple of suggestions that you might look into.

Creakwood Leige
- helps with your "amass tokens and overrun them" strategy.
Ulvenwald Tracker - this goes for anything the lets your guys fight other guys really. You're going to be making a lot of little Deathtouch guys, so anything that makes them fight might as well read "Destroy target creature". Also helps for spreading -1/-1 counters to creatures that don't want to block your infect and wither guys.
Reaper of the Wilds - a personal favorite of mine. You're going to be killing a lot of your own dudes, so this will let your scry a lot. It's a threatening blocker and tough to kill as well, all while being pretty cheap (in terms of mana and $$$).
Sudden Spoiling - makes for a very easy one-man board wipe if you spread your counters around well, and there's nothing they can do about it. Just put two -1/-1 counters on each of a player's creatures, drop this, and watch their whole board die.

Just a couple of thoughts. Take 'em or leave 'em.

y2dvd

Damn that deck is sick af dude

Thanks! I was surprised at how good most of the minotaurs were.

LOL

According to SaffronOlive, Glorious End is bugged on MODO. Once you cast Glorious End, it triggers every end step for the rest of the game. ◔_◔

EDIT: Also, holy shit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxtuhwqYsLI&list=PLtLlcD-b2JREUItTnLB5pFwfW84n60vLK&index=2

10-0 in games? Looks like I may have to sleeve this up. SaffronOlive has been my favorite content creator and mtg personal for a long while now. His reaction to the first deck is too hysterical. "JUDGE!"

Tunoku

I totally expect some Pros to bring that deck to the Pro Tour. It has been floating around for a while. It all depends on how much people expect to face it. Once you know what's up you can kind be prepared with the right answers or just beat your opponent down really quickly. While it does have access to life gain and fogs, the mana base is pretty slow and a deck like RW humans can punish you for that. Or maybe I'm completely wrong and will be crying for a Approach of the Second Sun ban a month from now.

EDIT: @DrArchon: Yeah, I definitely need to put the scarecrow in there. Great card. I was considering the tracker, but kinda prefer having the Viridian Longbow instead. Reaper of the Wilds is sweet, didn't know about that card. Alternatively, I could use Catacomb Sifter for now since I have that card already. Oh, I didn't realize that the Reaper triggers on any creature. That's rad.

Violet_0

Banned
I hope standard just becomes a bunch of draw-go decks and everyone is miserable
10-0 in games? Looks like I may have to sleeve this up. SaffronOlive has been my favorite content creator and mtg personal for a long while now. His reaction to the first deck is too hysterical. "JUDGE!"

I felt bad for the first opponent (and was amused). Their deck was actually almost identical to my draft deck

El Topo

I hope standard just becomes a bunch of draw-go decks and everyone is miserable

Pretty sure the vocal complainers would love that.
"Finally a deck that requires real skill dominates the format."

I totally expect some Pros to bring that deck to the Pro Tour. It has been floating around for a while. It all depends on how much people expect to face it. Once you know what's up you can kind be prepared with the right answers or just beat your opponent down really quickly. While it does have access to life gain and fogs, the mana base is pretty slow and a deck like RW humans can punish you for that. Or maybe I'm completely wrong and will be crying for a Approach of the Second Sun ban a month from now.

I really don't see how that deck would take over the format. It's fun and if your opponent is not prepared you can wreck them, but it's not something I would expect to do well in the long run.

Daedardus

My new cards left the transit airport three days ago at my capital where they are supposed to go to exchange office. What's taking them so long? I feel like they put them back on a plane or something like that.

I had a feeling someone would try Approach of the Second Sun with a New Perspectives cycling deck, but I didn't think it would actually work that well because I completely missed the Vizier/Enchant Land part of the equation.

Violet_0

Banned
One set after accidentally reprinting Splinter Twin in Standard, they've now accidentally reprinted Storm in Standard. gj Wizzos

don't know if you could say "accidentally " because they certainly knew that Second Sun/New Perspective/Shadows work of each other. They probably just didn't expect it to be a viable deck at those mana costs. Well, perhaps it's a bit early to call it viable yet

Azure mage in your command zone is surprisingly incredibly powerful. Like my janky Thrasios Moonfolk deck I'm brewing currently is now up to three or so infinite mana combos which just means I draw my entire deck play Lab Maniac backed up by Pact of Negation and win.

Violet_0

Banned
pretty sure that deck wants a board wipe or two to actually survive until turn 6. And then you still gotta find New Perspective in time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom