• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrArchon

Funny tidbit from the Commanderin Podcast ft. Ethan Fleischer. Bounty of Luxa edged out a gold legend, which all were aimed for commander.

That makes Neheb costing 3 all the more disappointing.

Assuming that whatever legendary creature got cut filled the same role as Bounty did (UG, card draw, and ramp), I don't think we're missing out on too much. It's not like we're lacking in UG commanders that do exactly that.

Tunoku

Man, Kenji seemed really nervous in that Pro Tour preview video. I hope doesn't get too stressed out about it.
Maria is a natural though, she works perfectly with Rich.

Daedardus

It's starting already? Man, I need to go for a swim and catch me some food, I'll watch when the 5-0 matches start.

Any bets on which deck will take the storm? Which cards will be the risers and which the losers?

Assuming that whatever legendary creature got cut filled the same role as Bounty did (UG, card draw, and ramp), I don't think we're missing out on too much. It's not like we're lacking in UG commanders that do exactly that.
He also mentioned that they wanted to pay homage to Tut (Temmet), Cleopatra (Hapatra) and Ramses but cut the latter in favour of having Nile floods be represented.

I don't think I like the story they've built for a Egyptian themed set but I believe it could make an amazing premise for a return set.
Right now it's a bubble but Bolas will pop it. When we return to Amonkhet, these people disillusioned by their for pharao will have to venture out and colonize the realm making for a more vast world than this Battle Royale theme park that is Amonkhet right now.

Justin

lol second pick in this draft has an invocation, nissa and the magma spray gets picked. Trial of zeal got first picked.

DrArchon

Ignoring the raw monetary value of the cards in that crazy pack, I still would've taken the Maelstrom Pulse over Magma Spray. It's a crazy piece of removal to be sure, and I personally never try to slot myself into one color early on in case in dries up.

I dunno. Maybe that's why I'm just watching the Pro Tour instead of winning it.

I feel like taking Magma Spray over Nissa is a mistake. Red Trial (which was the first pick) is much much closer and is probably correct. Maelstrom Pulse is definitely way lower as a 3cc gold removal spell - Spray is better. I think it goes Nissa, Spray, Pulse.

I feel like taking Magma Spray over Nissa is a mistake. Red Trial (which was the first pick) is much much closer and is probably correct. Maelstrom Pulse is definitely way lower as a 3cc gold removal spell - Spray is better. I think it goes Nissa, Spray, Pulse.
Magma Spray is incredible in this format it kills all the 2 drop exert creatures and kills a bunch of small creatures for good. After a trial of Zeal Magma Spray is definitely the pick. Just for cutting red and putting the guy to your left into UG possibly.
Ignoring the raw monetary value of the cards in that crazy pack, I still would've taken the Maelstrom Pulse over Magma Spray. It's a crazy piece of removal to be sure, and I personally never try to slot myself into one color early on in case in dries up.

I dunno. Maybe that's why I'm just watching the Pro Tour instead of winning it.
So instead you're locking yourself into 2 colours for a spell where half the text does nothing in limited?

DrArchon

So instead you're locking yourself into 2 colours for a spell where half the text does noth8ng in limited?

I wouldn't say the second part doesn't do anything in limited. Obviously you're not going to be hitting a lot of cards with it, but there's no shortage of token makers in the set that you can neuter with Maelstrom Pulse. Is it going to pop up often, no of course not, but occasionally it might.

Locking yourself into two colors is more of a problem though, you're right. There's not a ton of mana fixing in the set at lower rarities, so splashing either green or black just for pulse seems like a dumb idea. Again, this is why I'm not winning drafts all the time.

I totally agree with taking Trial of Zeal and passing Pulse though (again, ignoring all monetary value of course). Trial of Zeal is disgusting even if you only get to bounce it once. Any more than that and it's a serious problem.

Magma Spray is incredible in this format it kills all the 2 drop exert creatures and kills a bunch of small creatures for good. After a trial of Zeal Magma Spray is definitely the pick. Just for cutting red and putting the guy to your left into UG possibly.

He didn't first pick Trial of Zeal. The guy who opened the absurd pick did, and I agreed with that pick. He first picked the Javelineer.

Having not played Nissa in Limited yet, it's possible I'm overrating her - I'll grant you that.

Repgnar

Ended up getting off work early since i'll be going in Sunday night so will get to watch much more of the stream today. Plan on doing some more amonkhet draft this week with some friends' at their house. Plan is to try and draft something besides beatdown with black involved if the cards are there because I always tend to gravitate towards drafting those.

Santiako

Seems like I missed quite the spicy PT draft if I see talks of Invocations and Nissas. I hope I can catch it later but my parents' internet is so infuriatingly slow. I have to pause Youtube videos in low res to let them load -_-

M-Files Amonkhet 2
* The set originally had Pillar of Flame, but it was changed to Magma Spray due to vehicles and Scrapheap Scrounger.
* As expected, Glorybringer doesn't hit dragons to prevent mirror matches from being based on who brings out Glorybringer last.
* Sweltering Suns was originally:
2RR
Sorcery
CARDNAME deals 3 damage to each creature. Each player can't untap more than two lands during his or her next untap step.
Cycling R (R, Discard this card: Draw a card.)
* Manglehorn was meant to answer Aetherworks Marvel decks.
* They know Harvest Season doesn't really fit into any deck, but people really liked it in their rare poll.
* Bounty of the Luxa originally had a Mana Flare effect, and then added GGUU to your mana pool, but it was changed after they learned BFZ was staying in Standard.
* There should be a bear that adds CUB to your mana pool.
* Nissa originally turned five lands into 2/2s, but it was changed to two 5/5s after they learned Sylvan Advocate would still be in Standard.

y2dvd

Not sure exert, but it gets rid of embalmed creatures which is a lot of value.

Gee golly I need to start proofreading before hitting Send lol. Stupid phone update resetted my autocorrect list.

Anyways, I don't care for the lore much, but when the team was going through it, gotta admit it sounded pretty interesting. I kinda wish they would include different passages of the story on a token card, and then they would be collectibles within itself to complete the full story.

El Topo

Zombies vs. New Perspectives as the first Standard match of the Pro Tour.

Edit:
F6 at the Pro Tour. What a time to be alive.

El Topo

Zombies vs New Perspectives does not seem like a good match for Zombies, even post board. They must not have known.

Zombies in general doesn't seem like the greatest choice. Did they mention the sideboard yet?

Edit:
Yeah, that doesn't look good.

Violet_0

Banned
new perspective can eat up all the bad or slow decks and then get destroyed by Mardu, then everyone can continue to play that one for another season

Ashodin

Perspectives just lost to hand attack. Oh well

It's not an age, it's a rogue deck that can take down an FNM

Wow Zombies are big here huh

kirblar

Are you guys really proclaiming the age of New Perspectives after two games of the very first round?
I'm proclaiming that having a deck that goes "6 Mana: Win the Game" is a very bad thing to have in Standard. If this were Modern, it'd be fine. We already have that deck.

DrArchon

Are you guys really proclaiming the age of New Perspectives after two games of the very first round?

I'm certainly not. I just thought it was a brutal match to watch. Obviously there are ways to disrupt it, but a lot of those cards are sideboard fair which sucks for match 1.

Ashodin

I turned away, came back and game was over. How do you not Fumigate there?

That's what I'm saying. OK he gets back a 2/2 or a 2/1, but then you have Fumigate #2 bro. I mean he was two more turns away from Liliana's Mastery if even. He played too risky.

kirblar

That's what I'm saying. OK he gets back a 2/2 or a 2/1, but then you have Fumigate #2 bro. I mean he was two more turns away from Liliana's Mastery if even. He played too risky.
His hand was like Forest Forest Fumigate Fumigate New Perspectives right? He needs to burn time in order to get a hand capable of going off in the first place!

Tunoku

Only went 3-3 at FNM today; pretty disappointed with my result. I was on Temur Marvel splashing white for Nahiri. Lost against Grixis control, Mardu vehicles, and RG Gods. That last match against red green was super tilting, my opponent just had it all. I hit Ulamog a single time time in 6 rounds today. So advice to everyone: Draw your 10th land and be lucky.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm proclaiming that having a deck that goes "6 Mana: Win the Game" is a very bad thing to have in Standard. If this were Modern, it'd be fine. We already have that deck.
It doesn't say that

The deck barely does anything without the 6 mana engine

Only went 3-3 at FNM today; pretty disappointed with my result. I was on Temur Marvel splashing white for Nahiri. Lost against Grixis control, Mardu vehicles, and RG Gods. That last match against red green was super tilting, my opponent just had it all. I hit Ulamog a single time time in 6 rounds today. So advice to everyone: Draw your 10th land and be lucky.
Did we finally play each other? I was on Grixis Control and went 4-2.

We totally did, we even talked about the hapatra deck lol.

Positively surprised how my deck performed considering it's a bit of a pile. I only have a single Censor I opened and haven't gotten about acquiring any more.

DrArchon

If someone told me we would be getting a near $10 uncommon in a Standard set again, I would have never believed them.

The follies of printing a choice uncommon in a small set. That and not really having too many other cheap instant speed black removal cards in standard.

God, it's going to get even worse once Grasp rotates, isn't it?

Daedardus

It literally is so damn good. It's black's Path to Exile.

It is. It is elegant, powerful, useful, flavorful. Really one of the top designed cards in the past years. But I never would have expected to creep it up so high. Always thought it would stay at the $5-6 range, but guessed wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom