• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess if you're running Cat Tribal you probably want to be running both versions of Mirri, which isn't a sentence I ever thought I'd say.

If it's EDH I have no idea what your Catmander would be to hit WBG, though.

Tunoku

I guess if you're running Cat Tribal you probably want to be running both versions of Mirri, which isn't a sentence I ever thought I'd say.

If it's EDH I have no idea what your Catmander would be to hit WBG, though.

It better be in this very block.

It better be in this very block.

Sadly, I doubt you're going to see a tri-color Legendary in this set.

I sort of wish they would have done a set of tri-color Gods instead of another mono-color cycle, with WBG Bast the Legendary Cat God, but that doesn't seem super likely even for Hour.

b7u7bOH.png

Adaren

Throne of the God-Pharoh

Oh I get it. The tapped creatures are bowing down to you.

I wouldn't normally expect this type of card to be pushed, but it actually seems potentially strong at 2 mana. In addition to vehicles, there's also potential synergy with Exert and White Weenies.

DrArchon

Fuck yeah, Magma Spray! Eat shit, Scrapheap Scrounger!

With regards to the new Cat-lord, am I the only one that's annoyed that the tokens it makes already come with Lifelink? And the only other white Cat revealed also has Lifelink? They better start revealing more cats without Lifelink or else I'm treating that buff as +1/+1 and nothing else.

bigkrev

So green is just straight up better than red for artifact removal these days.

It's been this way since 2004? They made that clear when they printed Shatter at 1R and Oxidize at G back to back in Mirrodin and Darksteel. You have seen things like Manic Vandle and Reclamation Sage in the same format at the same time in more recent years.

Son1x

The green creature seems pretty cool but I'm not really happy about Magma Spray reprint. Its an answer to Scrounger but that is pretty much it. Still doesn't hit face so its not a strictly better card than Shock, especially if CopyCat stays like it is.

Manglehorn does stop the combo, but you can still T4 blink your own land and shock it, then combo off.

edit: It is pretty nice in limited though with all the Embalm. But still, give us some answers for Standard damn it.

Hero

Who isn't better than red these days?

Good question.

It's been this way since 2004? They made that clear when they printed Shatter at 1R and Oxidize at G back to back in Mirrodin and Darksteel. You have seen things like Manic Vandle and Reclamation Sage in the same format at the same time in more recent years.

Yeah, but back in 2004 green was a terrible color so I could understand throwing them some bones. Now green has WAY better creatures than it used to get, better artifact removal, and arguably better creature removal depending on the fight version in the set/block.

bigkrev

Yeah, but back in 2004 green was a terrible color so I could understand throwing them some bones. Now green has WAY better creatures than it used to get, better artifact removal, and arguably better creature removal depending on the fight version in the set/block.

We are only like 2 years removed from Mono-red aggro winning back to back Pro Tours, which, because they weren't midrange decks like Wizards wants everything to be, meant the color has been punished. My guess is in 2 or 3 years we might start to see Red be playable again. They are vindictive as hell at Wizards.

Son1x

Still waiting for something like 1R insant - Deal 4 damage to target creature/planeswalker. Since its in Red, its not happening, but hope dies last.

bigkrev

C8vKtKGXoAA_c9x.png

If there was a classic Draw-Go deck, this would be an ideal finisher. Don't know if it has a place in the modern game, but this card is good

C8vJdWwUAAE7_W0.png

Always Watching might be a build around

Tunoku

Yeah turning this 3/1 into a 5/5 Lifelink, Vigilance with Always Watching seems preeeeeeetty good.

Also, I love that Sphinx. Being able to cycle itself as well is just awesome. Goes well in some kind of UW deck together with that new Cast Away card or whatever it's called. And Cycling duals, obviously.

DrArchon

Man, those seem pretty pushed. 4 mana 4/4 flyer is a lot more aggressive than I was expecting out of a blue dude that cares about cycling, and a 2 mana 4/4 Lifelink that has to attack every other turn is already stupid, even ignoring any way to untap it.

I can't imagine cycling the sphinx unless you're really desperate seeing as it doesn't cost that much, but that's just that much more upside to it.

Supast4r

Man, those seem pretty pushed. 4 mana 4/4 flyer is a lot more aggressive than I was expecting out of a blue dude that cares about cycling, and a 2 mana 4/4 Lifelink that has to attack every other turn is already stupid, even ignoring any way to untap it.

I can't imagine cycling the sphinx unless you're really desperate seeing as it doesn't cost that much, but that's just that much more upside to it.

Always watching is going to be really good with Exert

Tunoku

I mean, a control deck would love to just cycle away threats they get in their opening hands. And this does that. You're fine not playing this until you have stabilized and can play it with some kind of counter backup.

bigkrev

The problem with a 4 cmc 4/4 flyer is that there is a 2 mana 4/4 flyer in the format

The problem with a 5/5 Vigilance Lifelink after tapping out on turn 3 is that your opponent can then easily kill you with infinate damage from a Saheli combo

It's -really- hard to not be super pessimistic in evaluating these cards

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I think 1/1 white cat with lifelink is the 1/1 black vampire with lifelike of this set. If something is going to make cats, by god they'll be energy draining cats.

big_1440321604_image.jpg

DrArchon

I mean, a control deck would love to just cycle away threats they get in their opening hands. And this does that. You're fine not playing this until you have stabilized and can play it with some kind of counter backup.

I'm mostly focusing on limited right now because standard is so fucked, but yes, if this guy ends up as a finisher in any control deck they're going to love having a super cheap cycling cost on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom