• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeef

I've been playing the IOS game for the last couple of weeks and am thinking about getting into the real thing. Are the cards in the sets they release "balanced" in that I could buy a box of boosters from the newest set and have enough cards to make some interesting decks or do you really need to have a combination of several sets to do anything cool? Trying to figure out if it is better to just buy one booster box or a hand full of boosters from the last couple sets.
Magic sets are broken up into blocks; sets that are mechanically related to each other. Kaladesh block, for example, includes the sets Kaladesh and Aether Revolt. Both sets are focused on artifacts and energy counters.

For playing casually, just building with cards from a single block should be fine for building fun decks.

If you're looking to play competitively, you're going to want to look at the different formats:
Standard is, essentially, the last two years worth of major releases. Standard rotates, so once a year, old sets stop being Standard-legal as new sets are released.
Modern includes all of the major set releases from 8th Edition (2003) and onward and doesn't rotate.
Legacy and Vintage include cards from all releases (1993) and don't rotate.

If you're looking to play competitively, buying individual cards is going to be a lot easier and cheaper than buying sealed product.

Ozigizo

Magic sets are broken up into blocks; sets that are mechanically related to each other. Kaladesh block, for example, includes the sets Kaladesh and Aether Revolt. Both sets are focused on artifacts and energy counters.

For playing casually, just building with cards from a single block should be fine for building fun decks.

If you're looking to play competitively, you're going to want to look at the different formats:
Standard is, essentially, the last two years worth of major releases. Standard rotates, so once a year, old sets stop being Standard-legal as new sets are released.
Modern includes all of the major set releases from 8th Edition (2003) and onward and doesn't rotate.
Legacy and Vintage include cards from all releases (1993) and don't rotate.

If you're looking to play competitively, buying individual cards is going to be a lot easier and cheaper than buying sealed product.

I feel like cost should factor in here, too. Standard is by far the cheapest of the formats. Standard probably caps at about $100 for a competitive deck. Modern and legacy range from $80-$1500 for a deck, and vintage can easily cost $10k+.

Standard is the best in. Also, try giving phantom drafts a shot on Mtgo. They're cheaper, you don't get to keep the product, but it gives you a really good feel for the limited environment for less money.

Edit: Oh, prereleases are a good place to start as well. You get a (sometimes) cool promo and 6 packs for $25.

Maybe it's because I'm deep down a gaming hole right now, but I can't myself excited about this set. All these Aftermath cards seem very interesting and that blue Enchantment is sweet and probably dumb in Atraxa decks.

I'ma proliferate five times and then drop whatever I want, 'cause that's how Atraxa do.

A_Dang

I'ma proliferate five times and then drop whatever I want, 'cause that's how Atraxa do.

Yep. This is the card I am most excited about and may be the first card I ever preorder (because everyone that plays Atraxa is going to buy one and raise the price).

MoxManiac

C8rLXHpVwAAeer5.jpg:small

dead

noquarter

I've been playing the IOS game for the last couple of weeks and am thinking about getting into the real thing. Are the cards in the sets they release "balanced" in that I could buy a box of boosters from the newest set and have enough cards to make some interesting decks or do you really need to have a combination of several sets to do anything cool? Trying to figure out if it is better to just buy one booster box or a hand full of boosters from the last couple sets.

Buying a box will usually net you close to a playset (4) of each common, 1-2 of each uncommon and about half the rares (one of) with four mythics. Making a deck out of that for fun is possible, but it still wouldn't be optimal, since you more than likely will not have more than one of any rare, meaning you probably won't see you most powerful card in most games.

You should for sure look at getting a deckbuilders tool box (like $20) which comes with basic lands you can use to make a deck (probably only get 37 basic lands in a box) along with a good mix of commons and uncommons from recent sets and some packs to open up. Still wouldn't be enough to build a good deck, but is a nice start.

Also, getting the holiday gift box is kind of nice, as you get 5 packs along with a box to store all your cards in, with dividers.

Getting both of the aforementioned would be like $50, then spend the other $30-$40 you would put towards a box into playsets of cards that interest you. Amazon, eBay, and TCG player are decent places to look for singles, along with the many online retailers.

Guys, I think we're overwhelming him with options.

I would recommend getting a prebuilt deck, such as a Planeswalker Deck. If you want a starting collection of cards, get a Deck Builder's Toolkit.

Do you have any friends that play?

If so, ask them if you can try playing with one of their decks. Test it out, see if you like the format they play in. This should tell you two things:

1. Do the friends you have available to play with play a format you would like?
2. Do they play decks in that format you're going to have to break the bank to play against?

That's basically where you want to start in deck-building, because depending on your friends, they may only play EDH, or only play Standard, or only play Modern, etc. Their "meta" may be such that you can get a deck up and running for $30 or you might be in a situation where you may as well not bother unless you're in for a pound of flesh.

Alternately, if you don't have friends to play with, just go to Prerelease/Draft events. You will build up a base of cards and get to play in a format where you can get fair games off the bat without worrying about formats or meta overly much.

Oh right, I usually ask about friends that already play the game, or are willing to start playing with you. If you don't have any, then it is indeed best just to play Limited, such as in Amonkhet's upcoming Prerelease.

Supast4r

Gideon sees Play in Legacy, so I'm inclined to believe his lack of Modern Relevance says more about the format then his strength. He's a pain in the ass to remove, because he shits out tokens at a rate he should probably see a doctor about.

Again, I don't play Vintage. If you had read my post, I'm basing it on Modern/Standard with some legacy.

Ugin didn't help GR Tron in the same way that Newlamog did, so I think I'm justified in leaving him out.

Of the top 5 I listed, they're cards that have defined their Standard. Liliana of the Veil is part of the house Goyf Built, Jace was so strong he has a permanent grave in a format he never was in, Liliana the Last Hope single-handedly killed off White Weenie in Standard, Gideon is one of 6 cards that BFZ has that have warped formats around it, and Karn is infinitely better then Ugin in GR Tron(where Ugin functions as additional O-Stones with Upside)
Yes it did... ugin makes it so tron doesn't brick on just drawing too many o stones since ugin is a better boardwipe. Tron became a tier 1 deck for awhile because of ugin and stayed there until eldrazi winter. Ugin boosting tron was a big factor in banning eye of ugin over eldrazi temple. Liliana last hope is not better than: knight-errand, elspeth suns champion, Dack fayden, or even tezzeret agent of bolas. Ugin also sees vintage play. Last hope is a sideboard planeswalker that sees play as a 1 of in the maindeck. Great sideboard card but there are too many matchups where it does nothing but raise dead which is poor in modern. There is a reason why veil has replaced her in the main of shadow decks. It's about the same power level as Ajani vengeant or Chandra torch of defiance for modern.

I need a couple of Gideon, Ally of Zendikar for Legacy Death and Taxes. Should I wait until it rotates out of standard? Will the price drop significantly?

As Foretold lets you play four free Balances in Modern. That's conditional but it seems insanely strong for relatively little investment

Edit: Annnnnnd they've already shot up from $4 to $12 each. Oh well

I need a couple of Gideon, Ally of Zendikar for Legacy Death and Taxes. Should I wait until it rotates out of standard? Will the price drop significantly?

The price may go up during Amonkhet because of the new Gideon, and/or other synergies. (If the white God is actually any good and, as most people are speculating, based on having bodies on the board, well...)

The price will probably go down once he rotates out of Standard in the far future, though, yes. Unless Gideopalooza suddenly becomes a thing.

Neat!

C8rXcBCV0AAHiPB.jpg:large

It being once each turn, so you can play something and then cast a counter for free on the opponent's turn is cool.

This card is so sweet. It took me like 10 times to read and understand, tho, lol.

Basically, eventually your shit is just going to be free. The Or Less part I missed until seeing more discussion. I want to play with this right now :)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Oh snap is that the MILLENIUM NECKLACE

So confused. Should I or should I not sell my BFZ Gideons right now lol

Depends on whether you want to bet on a ban or not.

Personally, I'm not trying to guess their bans anymore after the last round. God only knows anymore; I'm half-expecting the next ban list to include Plains, and the reasoning to be "it was the only way we could think of to deal with Gideon".

Pundere

A lot of these rare Aftermath cards are really underwhelming. It feels like they played it suuuuuper safe with them and what you get is a bunch of mediocre, overcosted cards that probably won't hit constructed.

Adaren

I love everything that was spoiled today. Definitely made up for two meh god reveals. Crossing my fingers for the rest of the set to maintain this level of awesomeness.

If new Gideon ends up busted, I think it'll be due to Heart of Kiran instead of Gideon himself. I'm hopeful that this Gideon design is sufficiently narrow that he won't become an auto-include in every deck that can play him (though, again, Heart of Kiran might screw everything up).

Can you cast a Snapcaster'd Vision off of AF?

If I read it correctly you can't via flashback but you can with Yawgmoth's Will (or if they printed a Torrential Gearhulk/Goblin Dark-Dwellers-type card that didn't specifically skip the mana cost.)

(I love the Aftermath cards)

Correct.

I was expecting Mouth to Mouth.
In truth, thanks to GAF, I was expecting Mouth to Anus.

OMG WTB "Ass // Mouth" silver-bordered Aftermath (Afterm-ass?) card.

So confused. Should I or should I not sell my BFZ Gideons right now lol

Well they're going to go down if they get banned because people can't play them anymore and they're going to go down if they don't get banned because cards decline steadily on the way to rotation unless they drastically increase how much they're played, so... yes?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Aftermath clicked for me once I saw how dramatically different they were willing to go with the effects. Still unsure about the frames, but just in a "need to play with them" way

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
A lot of these rare Aftermath cards are really underwhelming. It feels like they played it suuuuuper safe with them and what you get is a bunch of mediocre, overcosted cards that probably won't hit constructed.

I think I disagree. I think that they didn't make them nearly flashy enough, but they also look super hard to evaluate in a really exciting way. Flashback effects are always powerful

Pundere

I think I disagree. I think that they didn't make them nearly flashy enough, but they also look super hard to evaluate in a really exciting way. Flashback effects are always powerful
I've never been the best at card assessment so I could absolutely be wrong. I'm probably undervaluing the worth of the second halves, even if the individual parts aren't mind blowing.

I've never been the best at card assessment so I could absolutely be wrong. I'm probably undervaluing the worth of the second halves, even if the individual parts aren't mind blowing.

If you're trying to evaluate a Flashback/Aftermath card, aside from a few cases where the graveyard version is just strictly better for various reasons, one easy way to do it is just to mentally replace the Flashback/Aftermath portion with "draw a card".

That's basically what you're getting. You're getting another card's value out of the fact that card can be recast. If it's such a trash effect you wouldn't want it even with a cantrip on top, then you're probably right to snub it, but at least in Limited almost anything with a cantrip attached is going to be playable.

Haines

Banned
Idk what to think

I've been pouring over hearthstone new set that comes out tmrw for hours daily.

I take a look at this sets spoilers and my head starts to spin.

Usually I don't find magic cards that crazy. I look at a couple cards ajd close the window. I think part of it is the flavor txt makes the cards look more complicated at first glance bc my brain isn't used to that extra writing.

Hoping I start to take interest in this set. Pre releases can be so much fun

Son1x

As Foretold lets you play four free Balances in Modern. That's conditional but it seems insanely strong for relatively little investment

Edit: Annnnnnd they've already shot up from $4 to $12 each. Oh well

I guess its time to sell the one I bought years ago. Unfortunately its in a pretty bad condition, but hey, I paid like €1 at most.

Daedardus

This set isn't doing it for me. I get the feeling that the past four blocks all had some design or development issues. Seems like the move to two-set blocks and no core set gave them more headaches then they expected. Will we see M20 back in 2019? :p Or maybe I'm just getting old and enjoying the game less, I don't know. But I don't get the hype anymore I used to have with some older sets.

Violet_0

Banned
the set looks fine for limited. And since I only play limited, that's alright for me. And if there's a decent amount of $$$ cards, that's just a nice bonus

I suppose what lots of people really long for is another Tarkir, where they intentionally cranked up the power level of the set. Though that one was a hit in terms of setting and lore as well

Rafy

Oh man, I'd love to build a cat deck. I hope we get enough cats to build for a deck.

Question, does the Serpopard also get the buff from the Regal Caracal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom