• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultron87

Reposting for top of page.

C8vPN1fXUAIgEA4.png:large

Daaaamn, unconditional reanimate when she comes down and she still sticks around.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Somewhere, WanderingWind is creaming his jeans.

bigkrev

That's because Morphling was a pile of shit until the 6E rules changes.

Oh true. Funny- I was trying a Magic: The Puzzling in an issue of Topdeck magazine yesterday, couldn't figure it out for the life of me, flipped to the solution- and discovered it only worked under 6th edition rules. It involved a creature with Muzzle on it (Aura- prevent all combat damage this creature would do), and part of the puzzle was attacking with it, putting damage on the stack, and then killing it with a kill spell so the Muzzle effect went away and the damage on the stack happened normally LOL

Seems. Good.

Good, not broken. Power level of Jace 5 (without being the most unfair limited card of all time)? Seems like a control finisher/mirror breaker

Lucario

C8vJdWwUAAE7_W0.png

Always Watching might be a build around

A few more pushed exert cards, and an Always Watching weenie build might be able to outrace Mardu Vehicles and put sufficient pressure on Copycat.... Which would bring back Liliana decks to prey on white weenie.

.... Or Mardu Vehicles just starts running more Walking Ballista and pings off your X/1s, and nothing changes. But still! Definitely a good time to pick up $1 copies of Always Watching.

God damn.

Hasn't reanimation been a 5 mana thing for a while? We just... get a planeswalker with it now? That's pretty awesome. She even stays at two loyalty afterwards, so you can't ping her down after she reanimates your Ulamog/Kozilek/Decimation Twin.

Making 2/2s while ticking up is always nice, too.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Um, why are there two Gideon cards in a single set?

kirblar

Pre-6th Edition Magic rules are so fucking bizarre to me as someone who started playing at Odyssey block.
They are, I didn't play competitively until after they were done, but...yeah.

The M10 changes getting rid of damage on the stack was the best thing ever though. (Morphling is now bad again!)
Um, why are there two Gideon cards in a single set?
The poopy one's in the starter decks.

DrArchon

Seems very reasonable for a 5 mana walker. Reanimates out of the gate and if she sticks around pumps out a bunch of 2/2s. I can dig it.

What disgustingly good ETB and Haste creatures are available in standard right now?

MoxManiac

It's weird to me that they would design the exert mechanic in such a way that it's easy to circumvent with just vigiliance.

Seems very reasonable for a 5 mana walker. Reanimates out of the gate and if she sticks around pumps out a bunch of 2/2s. I can dig it.

What disgustingly good ETB and Haste creatures are available in standard right now?

There's been a RWb reanimator deck based around Refurbish. Most of the reanimate targets were gearhulks.

Lucario

Decimator of Provinces and Desolation Twin are all I'm coming up with. Maybe Emeria Shepherd if you want to go completely nuts.

edit: nvm, I'm dumb, those are cast triggers. Gearhulks/Demon of Dark Schemes probably the best you can do.

ultron87

Sadly most of the true monsters in Standard are Eldrazi and thus have cast triggers. You can still get Ulamog out there and that is a 10/10 indestructible that kills in 2-3 attacks.

Lucario

Drop Liliana on turn 6, reanimate Emeria Shepherd, play a plains, bring back Linvala or Demon of Dark Schemes?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If only we had an Orzhov Signet or Mind Stone.

Liliana Brisela deck? I would at least draw it up on paper lol

this too

Son1x

Drop Liliana on turn 6, reanimate Emeria Shepherd, play a plains, bring back Linvala or Demon of Dark Schemes?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If only we had an Orzhov Signet or Mind Stone.

There is this thing:
Image.ashx

With self-mill or discard, its not hard to enable it.

Santiako

The new sphinx is really pushed. 4/4 flyer for 4 with two upsides is nuts.

That Liliana is fantastic too.

That two mana 4/4 lifelink if you exert is great.

Cat lord is nuts in limited.

Good spoilers all around.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Actually this Liliana and Gideon both feel the closest, mechanically, to what their creative identity has always been supposed to be. I sort of hope this is a sign going forward that they recognize they were getting too wide in their versatility

Tunoku

Sadly most of the true monsters in Standard are Eldrazi and thus have cast triggers. You can still get Ulamog out there and that is a 10/10 indestructible that kills in 2-3 attacks.

I think I'd rather just reanimate Noxious Gearhulk with her.

Gearhulk reanimate was almost a thing before aether revolt.

I actually really like the Planeswalker Deck pack in Gideon. As do I like the card that fetches him. I think you could make it work in commander, Token builds could use him very well.

Violet_0

Banned
new Liliana seems really good

no real card draw unless you count the graveyard interaction, but the (-) is a killer, she's got 5 loyality counters from the start and needs two turns for a one-sided board wipe

DrArchon

Gearhulk reanimate was almost a thing before aether revolt.

Yeah, something like Noxious Gearhulk is a pretty good target, but I dunno. The last time I remember reanimator being a big thing (considering I skipped a LOT of standard) was Unburial Rites + Angel of Serenity, and that was fucking nuts.

Still, probably a good thing that there aren't any targets that powerful.

Will we see M20 back in 2019? :p

The problems that having a core set created for them (like, say, spending a ton of money on a set that no one liked or spent money on buying) were way, way bigger than the piddly shit that's "wrong" in the current setup. All of the problems with Standard balancing they have now can be fixed in much less goofy ways than bringing back something that was always a bad product.

Actually this Liliana and Gideon both feel the closest, mechanically, to what their creative identity has always been supposed to be. I sort of hope this is a sign going forward that they recognize they were getting too wide in their versatility

Of the two of them I think it's really only GAoZ who's been notably off from his intended identity and there's all kinds of shit going into that particular case.

Santiako

Unsubstantiate bounces creatures. It's the versatility it has over comply. It's not really card draw when the card you're drawing is conply.

I think you are undervaluing it. This card is much better than Unsubstantiate for tempo decks since you are essentially not losing a card. Delaying their spell a full turn after you have already delayed it by bouncing it is really good.

OnPoint

Of the two of them I think it's really only GAoZ who's been notably off from his intended identity and there's all kinds of shit going into that particular case.
Liliana of the Dark Realms was pretty off base, but that was a long time ago and you maybe meant in standard and/or in a post-Origins world.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Liliana of the Dark Realms was pretty off base, but that was a long time ago and you maybe meant in standard and/or in a post-Origins world.

I actually had LotV in mind honestly, she was always more "generic killing magic" than "necromancer" to me

Adaren

^ "one or more" prevents it from being totally busted with Snek. Still a really cool build-around with some cross-block synergy.

---

So probably Nissa tomorrow and the remaining 3 gods next week.

Spoilers have been killing it for the last two days.

Also, cropping Lili's awkward foot makes that art officially god tier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom