• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Son1x

I still have mixed feelings about this set. Some of the cards seem really cool and interesting, but others seem really bad, like most of the Aftermath rares.

Supast4r

Complete 180 on this set? Overreaction to early spoilers? You don't say!
I'm guilty of this also lol.

To be fair the last few sets have had Wizards start off spoilers by showing off a flashy card (shadows was Avacyn, Eldrich Moon was Emrakul and Kaldesh was Smuggler's Copter) We didn't see that this time around.

rexor0717

Really liking that 1W Exert and the 4/4 Sphinx to at least try in my cube. Might try out the blue God too knowing that the land return is optional.

Ashodin

Yo but where's the EQUIPMENT

The throne is amazing in aggro decks. You just need one vehicle and you can tap out all your dudes for extra damage if need be

Liliana looks good. The issue is again, the current format isn't helpful for evaluating these cards because you'd be dead before you cast them.

It's like showing off a standard set without any of the flashy cards is a bad idea or something.

Glix

What is up with that blue/white split card that was just posted...

You return the spell to their hand... then try and abeyance it and they just play it again in response?

So IF they don't have enough mana to cast it again, you can make sure they can't play it on their turn... and then they can just play it again on your next turn?

Seems awful unless I'm missing something.

Supast4r

You return the spell to their hand... then try and abeyance it and they just play it again in response?

So IF they don't have enough mana to cast it again, you can make sure they can't play it on their turn... and then they can just play it again on your next turn?

It stalls a spellfortwo turns guaranteed so they can't cast it (or other spells like it) for two turns. It has potential.

That only applies to instants though. It bricks any type of permanent and sorceries.

Glix

It stalls a spellfortwo turns guaranteed so they can't cast it (or other spells like it) for two turns. It has potential.

Two turns against sorcery speed stuff only. Bleh.

Question - On your turn, if you play a creature, and I failure it, you would still have first priority to replay it, before I could cast the white half of failure, right?

kirblar

Reflector%2BMage%2B%255BOGW%255D.jpg

Supast4r

Question - On your turn, if you play a creature, and I failure it, you would still have first priority to replay it, before I could cast the white half of failure, right?

So you Turn 2 fail their spell. Turn 3 you comply and call out the same spell (or if you have a discard spell you call out a different spell) while holding mana for removal/other stuff. Then your opponent can't cast the spell again. You follow that up with holding mana for spell queller. That's the idea at least. That sounds decent.

Santiako

White part is sorcery.

The circumstances that made ref mage such a menace are quite peculiar. It could have been fine if it weren't for coco and vehicles.
So you Turn 2 fail their spell. Turn 3 you comply and call out the same spell (or if you have a discard spell you call out a different spell) while holding mana for removal/other stuff. Then your opponent can't cast the spell again. You follow that up with holding mana for spell queller. That's the idea at least. That sounds decent.
esper sucks.
In this Standard specifically, against the Saheeli Combo, it slows them down quite a bit.

And yeah, it makes Reflector Mage being an Uncommon hilarious.
At the same time it protects the saheeli combo

A_Dang

I'm still not hot on the set, but I am warming. Aside from the cycling lands and +/-7 other cards I am still not feeling it. Take that heaping bit of salt as I am coming at these cards as a commander player, and have no context for how the spoilers look for limited or standard. Even worse, I'm mostly just looking at them for decks I either already have or plan on making in the near future.
So, pay no mind to my general dissatisfaction as I am not the target audience!

DrArchon

C8vlrieUMAEHh7n.jpg

This is really good! The tokens have deathtouch!

She's gonna be nutty in limited with the right cards. The first ability might as well be blank (I mean, let's be honest, the only way she's getting in is if they don't have any creatures), but pumping out Typhoid Rats is gonna clog up the board so much.

This + Nest of Scarabs + Any of those green creatures that come with their own -1/-1 counters = fun times.

Santiako

She's gonna be nutty in limited with the right cards. The first ability might as well be blank (I mean, let's be honest, the only way she's getting in is if they don't have any creatures), but pumping out Typhoid Rats is gonna clog up the board so much.

This + Nest of Scarabs + Any of those green creatures that come with their own -1/-1 counters = fun times.

Slap a blue cartouche on it and go nuts.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I changed my mind on the Blue God. I thing its pretty good actually.

OnPoint

I think the blue God is good but unexciting.

I think the red one is probably good in the right deck, but not as good as the blue God in most situations.

y2dvd

I changed my mind on the Blue God. I thing its pretty good actually.

Why did it change? Still not sure what to think of it. It's opposite of what you want to do as control if it means bouncing your land. Every land drop is so important. It's hard in a midrange deck because you want to play cards. Will be interesting to see where thos card ends up.

If we're going to have a cycle of both enemy and ally color Viziers, then what is the Boros one and how awesome is it
It'll be something lame like

Fake said:
Punchy McPunchface RW

Creature - Human Warrior

As Punchy McPunchface attacks you may exert it, if you do untap all other creatures you control they gain Menace until end of turn.

3/2
On second thought that's too close to the mythic but I hope they keep the name.

DrArchon

If we're going to have a cycle of both enemy and ally color Viziers, then what is the Boros one and how awesome is it

Judging by the two we've seen, the viziers are heavily tied to whatever the color combo's theme is.

For RW I'm imagining:

"Whenever you exert a creature, it gains +2/+0 until end of turn"
+
Some effect when you exert the vizier itself.

Ashodin

Judging by the two we've seen, the viziers are heavily tied to whatever the color combo's theme is.

For RW I'm imagining:

"Whenever you exert a creature, it gains +2/+0 until end of turn"
+
Some effect when you exert the vizier itself.

fakery said:
RW

Roysyorboi, Vizier of Exuberance

Legendary Creature - Human Warrior

You may choose to exert Roysyorboi when it attacks. If you do, give all creatures that attack this turn +2/+2 and lifelink.

Whenever Roysyorboi deals combat damage to a player, untap all other creatures you control.

2/2

I'd like to see that

Liliana of the Dark Realms was pretty off base, but that was a long time ago and you maybe meant in standard and/or in a post-Origins world.

Yeah I had thought I had a "recently" in there. Obviously Dark Realms is bullshit.

To be fair the last few sets have had Wizards start off spoilers by showing off a flashy card (shadows was Avacyn, Eldrich Moon was Emrakul and Kaldesh was Smuggler's Copter) We didn't see that this time around.

They have absolutely done a bad job with the spoiler season rollout this time around, IMO.

What I'd actually like to say is this
on a stick

Fake McFakeface RW

Creature - Human Warrior

Haste

As McFakeface attacks you may exert him, when you do exile all other creatures you control at the end of combat. At the beginning of the next combat, return those cards to the battlefield under their owner's control and those creatures gain haste and +1/+1 until end of turn.

2/2

That's the kind of Aggro commander that could actually make Boros work in commander.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Why did it change? Still not sure what to think of it. It's opposite of what you want to do as control if it means bouncing your land. Every land drop is so important. It's hard in a midrange deck because you want to play cards. Will be interesting to see where thos card ends up.
Because it's ability is powerful in a vacuum, especially with lands that can also be cycled. The body can also break stalemates if and when you get it online. If you're returning a basic or other untapped land you can use it to reduce the mana cost on the draw ability.

There's also the fact that it can crew almost any creature. It's way better when you think about the possibilities than it would otherwise seem.

Literally the only thing that makes it bad is that it doesn't necessarily affect the board when it comes down. But it's a constructed card so it's not as big of a problem.

Supast4r

The circumstances that made ref mage such a menace are quite peculiar. It could have been fine if it weren't for coco and vehicles.

esper sucks.

At the same time it protects the saheeli combo

We haven't even seen the new set yet yet "esper sucks." Esper just got a new sphinx, UB has placed top 8 pro tours last year when it was tuned to the meta, It has one of the best removal spells ever printed, UW ruled the world not too long ago pre bannings, etc. Esper is looking up right now.

The biggest winner of this spoiler season so far has been Naya. Glorybriner/exert creatures plus Always watching/Arlinn Kord/Blessed Alliance. Add in generic good stuff cards like Avacyn/Gideon ally/removal/heart of kiran and this looks interesting.

Angry Grimace

There must be a rule internally about constructed plant 1 drop 1/2's having Steve Argyle art.

Man today has been the good stuff day. That looks very strong. I can lose the haste of Swiftspear for that effect.
I don't think so. If you're throwing burn at creatures to make them smaller you're already losing. You're also losing if your topdeck goes from 1 to 2 damage to 0. At best this would replace Grim Lavamancer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom