• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pundere

I just realized this set introduced four(!) different control finishers and a great draw spell in blue alone. If Heart/Gideon/Cat get banned there could be a really strong control deck in this format.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Nah. the Lady of Pain was, within Sigil, literally the most powerful being in existence in the multiverse. Nothing could even harm her. She only spoke once in a few generations, and whenever she appeared it generally meant someone was about to go walkabouts. She could teleport you into one of her mazes wherever you were in the city at any time (without being there). There was no way to interact with her on any level, and anyone who tried would generally be flayed alive.

She wasn't a character in any normal sense - immoveable force of nature.
Expect for that bit with Vecna...

Wulfric

Apologizes if someone posted this pic, but I'm gonna need this foil STAT.

G/B Sneks will live on. Also that owl looks pissed AF

dJugr6Z.jpg

Sounds like Niv-Mizzet to me.
Niv Mizzet is not a very well thought through character. In OG Ravnica no one was able to stop this guy but a random human.
and the simic actually out mad scientisted his whole guild.
Ravnica is missing the key element that made Sigil work - the Lady of Pain. A completely neutral overseer of the city. She didn't get involved in any of the politics or workings of the city, but stepped in whenever something or someone got out of hand and dealt with them - usually by teleporting them into an infinitely large, inescapable maze. She was absolutely omnipotent within the city as well, so nothing and no-one (even major gods) could affect her. She was the safety valve that kept the factions in check and balanced.

Ravnica doesn't have that, so it is slightly unbelievable that the guilds have existed for so long in perfect balance whilst competing all the time. Especially given how some of the guilds are so random and disorganised, and their natural enemies are in charge of the city and have all the military and judicial might.

(I know they used to have the guild pact. But that just seems so fragile and so easy to get around)
The weirdest part about the guildpact is that Dimir didn't exist for most of the populace. Yet there's an actual document with 10 signatures on it, a literal pillar with the 10 guild symbols and more.

Also correct me if I'm wrong but Sigil isn't isolationist like Ravnica? DnD never made much secrecy of the multiverse like is the case with Magic. If Ravnica embraced the PW hub identity openly it used to be in the past and kinda is now secretly I'd like the setting a whole lot more.

Just realized how disgusting As Foretold gets in multiplayer.

....I feel like that's EDH ban territory.
Yeah it's so gonna get a slot in my Zur deck.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Niv Mizzet is not a very well thought through character. In OG Ravnica no one was able to stop this guy but a random human.
and the simic actually out mad scientisted his whole guild.

The weirdest part about the guildpact is that Dimir didn't exist for most of the populace. Yet there's an actual document with 10 signatures on it, a literal pillar with the 10 guild symbols and more.

Also correct me if I'm wrong but Sigil isn't isolationist like Ravnica? DnD never made much secrecy of the multiverse like is the case with Magic. If Ravnica embraced the PW hub identity openly it used to be in the past and kinda is now secretly I'd like the setting a whole lot more.

Yeah it's so gonna get a slot in my Zur deck.
People on the prime material plane generally don't know about the extent of the multiverse and sigil but outside that people have a general idea. Especially on the outer planes

Violet_0

Banned
aside from the new ruinous path and the 4 mana white exile, we didn't really see much in the way of standard-playable single-target removals, right?

Maledict

Nope, Sigil was the opposite. It was the literal centre of the multiverse, and a hub for trading, commerce and information beyond anything else in existence. Sigil had portals to almost anywhere in the multiverse - some permanent and well know, some random - the Lady of Pain had complete control over all of them. It was the one place in existence where you couldn't have any war, because the Lady would step in and remove the offenders. You even had demons and angels mixing there.

The prime material planes generally didn't know about it, but for the rest of the multiverse it was the central point of everything.

Maledict

Expect for that bit with Vecna...

Meh. TBH, anything after Faction War I just ignore. Wizard started to really mess with the setting, to the point where it ruined what was clever about it. It lost the philosophical aspect, and returned to the planes being a high level loot box / dungeon for the normal DnD worlds.

Still, it had a good run!

Nope, Sigil was the opposite. It was the literal centre of the multiverse, and a hub for trading, commerce and information beyond anything else in existence. Sigil had portals to almost anywhere in the multiverse - some permanent and well know, some random - the Lady of Pain had complete control over all of them. It was the one place in existence where you couldn't have any war, because the Lady would step in and remove the offenders. You even had demons and angels mixing there.

The prime material planes generally didn't know about it, but for the rest of the multiverse it was the central point of everything.
I would so love if Ravnica was of similar structure.
What? I can't even remember what Simic did in the grand scheme of things. They made Kraj I guess?
That's pretty much it but that's much more than anyone from Izzet did.

Ashodin

oh I forgot about trial of ambition, that's my favorite one from the cycle. Not sure if the cartouche will see any play, however

The black one? probably not outside of limited. The white and red one to bounce the Trials, hell yeah.
Maybe even the blue one. Draw a card and +1/+1 plus flying is a good rate.

Maledict

I think that Izzet are responsible for power in the city, and Simic are part of the agricultural lifecycle of the city. They design and breed the plants and creatures used by Golgari and Selesna - the agricultural scientists of the plane.

It's a bit of a stretch I know (Why would they be breeding giant airborne ships of war, when the guild pact prevented conflict?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I think that Izzet are responsible for power in the city, and Simic are part of the agricultural lifecycle of the city. They design and breed the plants and creatures used by Golgari and Selesna - the agricultural scientists of the plane.

It's a bit of a stretch I know (Why would they be breeding giant airborne ships of war, when the guild pact prevented conflict?
Probably because none of the guilds really trust each other so you gotta be ready. Also science.

duxstar

2 more days of spoliers to get that card that hoses copycat like the numerous hate cards that have been printed for mardu vehicles
/s

Violet_0

Banned
The black one? probably not outside of limited. The white and red one to bounce the Trials, hell yeah.
Maybe even the blue one. Draw a card and +1/+1 plus flying is a good rate.

well, any of them really - in combination with the trials at least. I like fun repeatable interactions but they seem awfully slow for standard. The black trial certainly has potential

Son1x

I think I'm gonna get the Bundle thing for the first time with Amonkhet.

I also snatched a preorder on playset of Drake Haven for 23 cents/piece on mcm.

Tunoku

Harsh Mentor's preorder price is currently around 6€ over here. Wondering if I should just snag a playset now. I definitely want to try it out asap

Violet_0

Banned
Harsh Mentor's preorder price is currently around 6€ over here. Wondering if I should just snag a playset now. I definitely want to try it out asap

I've seen some discussion about eidolon of the great revel already doing a similar job but better. I know, one punishes activated abilities and the other spells so they don't fill the exact same role, but ah well I'm not a modern player

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm totally gonna play both of those cool Sphinx dudes.

Value Blue fatties is a weird concept though.

since damage prevention is white as well I don't see where the blue comes in

Not saying it hasn't been in white before, just that it really does seem like the posterboy effect for UW in specific. It is the most literal form of denial.

And spell-denial just doesn't seem like a Gideon thing at all. Has he ever been able to interact with spells that way on any of his PW cards?

OnPoint

Not saying it hasn't been in white before, just that it really does seem like the posterboy effect for UW in specific. It is the most literal form of denial.

And spell-denial just doesn't seem like a Gideon thing at all. Has he ever been able to interact with spells that way on any of his PW cards?
Examples for where this is in blue pls? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom