• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

j5vjrqhz59ry.jpg

Bloodfury Militant
1R
Creature -- Minotaur Warrior (Uncommon)
When ~ ETB ,discard a card.
4/3

this seems pushed.

Santiako

How does it help emerge decks? Arent they based on cmc ? It seems more pushed for R/B vampires or straight R/B aggro

Big body that can discard an amalgam or stitchwing. The only actual emerge card they play is Elder Deep Fiend (sometimes 1-2 Gryffs)

Violet_0

Banned
At least with Red-Black there's some nice "We're going to Hell together" cards.

Mono-Red still seems to be in that, "Dump my hand and just pray for the best" mode of thinking, which I really can't get behind.

for some reason I thought they wanted to expand red's identity, but they still just seem to give them cards that make you want to concede on turn 5

for some reason I thought they wanted to expand red's identity, but they still just seem to give them cards that make you want to concede on turn 5

"Now that I've emptied my hand, Hezoret will finish this!"
"I play Swords of Revealing Ligh--err, Sram's Expertise. You got anything for a bunch of 1/1 chump blockers?"
"... I just told you I emptied my hand."
"Well, hopefully you believe in the Heart of the Cards."

cjX2NIi.png

What a weird narrow card. Goes great in Wheel EDH decks I guess.

I mean, if you can combine it with New Perspectives then things become outright silly and we start getting into draw your deck territory. I mean, I'm not saying that will do anything useful but it's there.

It's a bit awkward for wheels because you either need to have something to flash it back or you need to draw it off the wheel with it being basically a dead card the rest of the time.

Yeef

startfinish.jpg

Start 2W
Instant
Create two 1/1 white Warrior creature tokens with vigilance.
---
Finish 2B
Aftermath (Cast this spell only from your graveyard. Then exile it.)
As an additional cost to cast Finish, sacrifice a creature.
Destroy target creature.

I mean, if you can combine it with New Perspectives then things become outright silly and we start getting into draw your deck territory. I mean, I'm not saying that will do anything useful but it's there.

It's a bit awkward for wheels because you either need to have something to flash it back or you need to draw it off the wheel with it being basically a dead card the rest of the time.

Hey, combine it with Drake Haven and produce stupid amounts of fliers.

I have no idea how you get to that board state short of goldfishing, but maybe you play a lot of games against narcoleptics. I won't judge.

y2dvd

cjX2NIi.png

What a weird narrow card. Goes great in Wheel EDH decks I guess.

How does this work with end step, discard phase? Say I had to discard 2 cards because of maximum hand size. Play this card. Do I get the 2 cards back, and then turn goes to opponent?

Weird design.

And no one posted this one
instant males 2 1/1s with vigilance sorcery is bonesplinters

That draw spell is really good in limited and would usually be at sorcery speed. If it weren't for Glimmer, this would see standard play. Who knows? Maybe cycle decks still wants this.

How does this work with end step, discard phase? Say I had to discard 2 cards because of maximum hand size. Play this card. Do I get the 2 cards back, and then turn goes to opponent?

No one (usually) gets priority during the cleanup step, which is when discard occurs and your turn is over once the cleanup step finishes. So in 99.9% of cases you'll discard and your turn is immediately over so there's nothing you can do.

Now, there are edge cases where you can get priority (discarding something with Madness to hand size, for example). However, even if you cast this then you'll have to discard to hand size since another cleanup step occurs after. Basically you keep having them until nothing disrupts it.

C9TFFf8XgAAbc0H.png
That draw spell is really good in limited and would usually be at sorcery speed. If it weren't for Glimmer, this would see standard play. Who knows? Maybe cycle decks still wants this.
Definitely. 3U Draw 2 at instant speed is pretty standard often with upside like glimmer or the surge spell in OGW.
It's just a bit odd to give a card versatility instead of added functionality with Cycling.

DrArchon

Is that the only aftermath card we've seen with the second half as an instant? I feel like all of the others have been sorceries.

Tunoku

I really like those two designs. I think people are gonna be surprised how much play some of these Aftermath cards are going to see.

EDIT: Really not sure how to feel about that 2 mana 4/3. I don't think it's that great, to be honest.

A_Dang

I think I've come around on the design for Aftermath cards for the most part, maybe 75%. I can only think of one minor change that may work, but thats it. They were a bit of a shock to see at first, but I think the function is portrayed about as clearly as possible.

Edit: That said, I would really love to get an inside look on the design process for them once the set is out.

were people down on the playability overall? The design still sucks but it's flashback.

Reduce to Rubble was an instant sell for nearly everyone for instance. Spring to mind is interesting for me as it ramps you into gearhulk while putting a draw spell into the graveyard but it's also a 3 mana sorcery which are unplayable on turn 3 for control decks.

Santiako

From here at wotc, we would like to sincerely apologize for Kaladesh block being too powerful

Dispossess 2B
Sorcery (rare)
Name an artifact card. Search target opponent's hand, graveyard and library for any number of cards with that name and exile them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom