• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

Examples for where this is in blue pls? :)
Image.ashx
:p

It's typically been a U/W thing b/c of Meddling mage, but both can get variants.

Examples for where this is in blue pls? :)

Again, I'm not saying it has been in blue-white. I'm saying the effect very much seems like the thing that would be the iconic effect for the color combination, and doesn't seem appropriate for Gideon at all.

I mean, you could say spell-denial is a colorless effect because of Void Winnower if you want. That's your call; color identity to me is about the mechanical aesthetics of the cards, not a point-by-point history of what's been printed.

kirblar

They're trying to give Gideon a more defensive toolset/approach w/ his cards in this set because holy shit making him Elspeth 2 was horrible. I like it. It fits with the "INDESTRUCTIBLE" thing.

They're trying to give Gideon a more defensive toolset/approach w/ his cards in this set because holy shit making him Elspeth 2 was horrible. I like it. It fits with the "INDESTRUCTIBLE" thing.

The add-on of damage prevention at least makes sense for Gideon's indestructible/damage prevention theme, admittedly.

I mean if they were going to branch him out I would expect more "COME AT ME BRO" cards, though ironically that effect isn't, in and of itself, as strongly associated with White as it is with Blue and Red, despite how much Gideon seems to like it.

slaughtergames.jpg

Seems pretty absolute to me though I also am probably misinterpreting what you mean.

Black very much likes to do a very similar thing by blowing out the library/graveyard for copies, yeah. The main difference is the thematics (making it so the spell can't be cast, rather than removing it from the game entirely).

kirblar

When a Meddling Mage or Nevermore comes down, you can name whatever you want, and they can't play it as long as its in play.

Look at the Sphinx - it has to be in their hand. Declaration- you have to use the activated ability. Circu - it has to get milled. You either can't control the targeting or your opponent has counterplay.

Slaughter Games doesn't help if you can get the Exiled Cards back! :p

Repgnar

Not sure if I should ask here or the Community OT but for the pre-release, is that generally a good event for someone getting into the game? Been playing the game on steam and watching Twitch streams every now and then on the weekend so I have the basics down but haven't actually had a chance to play physically. Was thinking about taking the dive with the pre-release.

Not sure if I should ask here or the Community OT but for the pre-release, is that generally a good event for someone getting into the game? Been playing the game on steam and watching Twitch streams every now and then on the weekend so I have the basics down but haven't actually had a chance to play physically. Was thinking about taking the dive with the pre-release.

Absolutely. Pre-Release is the best event for getting into the game, because you can walk in to play empty-handed, and don't even particularly need to know anything about the cards in the set or meta ahead of time. (Drafts heavily encourage being informed about what you're drafting, by comparison.)

By all means, take the opportunity.

Ashodin

Prereleases are the absolute best event to go to regardless of skill level. It's like a mini-christmas where you get 6 packs and make your own deck from what you open, plus promos, plus winnings... it's a great time every time.

Yeef

Prerelease is the best event for people just getting started. As long as you know how to play, prerelease is ideal. It's sealed deck, so everyone is limited to what they open when building their deck, which helps to level the playing field. The cards are also just-released, so the knowledge gap tends to be smaller than it is later in the season; everyone is still figuring out what cards are good and which aren't. Prereleases are typically the most laid-back events as far as Magic tournaments go.

Wulfric

This is the Community OT ;)

Prerelease is a great event to attend if you've already watched some streams. You're ahead of the pack in that regard. Also, keep playing on Steam; it's up to date and Amonkhet cards will be added to the game at some point.

If you don't know where to attend prerelease, Wizards of the Coast has their own store locator. Just use the filters to find stores hosting the event.

edit: I see we all love to help. xD

Yeah, there's too many cards that use exile as "temporary card storage" or "pocket dimension", and the introduction of Processors as a thing pretty much just sealed it as being a graveyard with slightly sturdier locks.

Yeef

9d895ea2gy1fejuvjad9sj20mi0mie5o.jpg

Harvest Season 2G
Sorcery
Search your library for up to X basic land cards and put them onto the battlefield tapped, where X is equal to the number of tapped creatures you control, then shuffle your library.

Ashodin

harvest season is neat.

Oketra's Attendant... has boobs? on a bird? why? I mean they have breasts (har har) but why?

More deserts, fuck yeah

Turns out Elspeth that makes better tokens, can Anthem immediately, and also can become a 5/5 is kind of dumb.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So they did make a cycling embalm card after all.
Harvest Season seems really good. Am I wrong?
It's potentially good because there are playable Vehicles. Imagine how fucked we would be if Copter was legal.

It just makes me laugh that nobody wants to commit anything to how they think the set looks because the real question people care about is whether Gideon and the Cat are getting banned.

I will say I haven't seen anyone bothering to brew decks with Gideon in them.

That ramp card seems quite good. And they did print a cycling embalm creature after all, a really milquetoast one. It'll be good in limited though, along with pretty much all the other mono white embalm creatures.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Grasping Dunes is interesting to me. Untapped land that can be removal.

Oketra's Attendant... has boobs? on a bird? why? I mean they have breasts (har har) but why?

Because breasts make a silhouette easily and inherently read as female, which is useful as an artist when you're trying to depict something that you've been explicitly told is female as such, in spite of it being a bird.

I know people hate it, but it's far preferable to making them pink and slapping bows on their head or something like that. At some point you have to make allowances for the artist to use recognizable visual representation.

Violet_0

Banned
also, they only have animal heads and human bodies. I mean, two of the gods have boobs too. As far as I'm concerned, they can put them on everything

traveler

Not Wario
Wonder if harvest season and cryptolith rite will make anything happen together. They both leverage the same sort of deck and work towards the same goal.

Angry Grimace

Wonder if harvest season and cryptolith rite will make anything happen together. They both leverage the same sort of deck and work towards the same goal.
Perhaps some kind of Throne of the God-Pharaoh thing? Or maybe get the blue God out and draw 3 cards a turn.

I don't think Cryptolith Rites by itself is any better than it was before.

Which block of the current set would be good practice in sealed? I was thinking in just getting 3 of both Kaladesh and Aether Revolt, but I recently got back in Magic and never pulled packs from any of the other current standard sets.

Yeef

Which block of the current set would be good practice in sealed? I was thinking in just getting 3 of both Kaladesh and Aether Revolt, but I recently got back in Magic and never pulled packs from any of the other current standard sets.
Personally, I like Kaladesh as a format better than Aether Revolt. Honestly though, any of the last four sets (Aether Revolt, Kaladesh, Eldritch moon and/or Shadows Over Innistrad) are fine for sealed.

The one knock against Kaladesh though is that Kaladesh mythics tend to be more bomby in limited compared to the other sets.

Santiako

The more I look at Samut the more pushed she seems. That card looks so crazy good.

In a week there's Amonkhet prereleases so you could do those, otherwise Shadows over Innistrad and Eldritch Moon were really fun in limited (Kaladesh is my favourite of the standard ones, you can't really go wrong).

Violet_0

Banned

wait until the complete set is revealed, then use draft/sealed simulators. You can already practice with older sets

Well Hazoret is stacked but I mean
preach it

The more I look at Samut the more pushed she seems. That card looks so crazy good.

She's pretty cool, and she's got my favorite three human tribal colors, which is nice.

I feel like a lot of the cards in this set got a specific second look for EDH as an apology for Embalm being format unfriendly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom