• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Lol @ Empty the Pits originally being XBB with Delve.

That wouldn't be broken at all.

The hot strategy on SCG right now is nyx fleece ram to enable Wingmate Roc. Still don't think 1 drop decks are going to be very good in this format

So you're saying my mono-white devotion deck is happening

Firemind

The hot strategy on SCG right now is nyx fleece ram to enable Wingmate Roc. Still don't think 1 drop decks are going to be very good in this format
Ha! I had a feeling a 0/5 sheep that keeps you from dying would be well-positioned in this format.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm playing him lol, but hes a roleplayer. Notice a lot of the scg test decks have 4x sarkhan or 4x sorin. The unstated reason why is what I find amusing.

If I had to guess, its selling as many Sorin and/or Sarkhan (the most expensive mythics) as possible.

OnPoint

Haha I love space sheep. I kinda wanna play that deck now

They're one of the weird cards that's more expensive on MODO than in paper. I think I bought my Confluences on MODO at 9 tix, and they're 20 now. My paper ones I bought at like 12 a few weeks ago and they're climbing still.
Wasn't Voice like that too?

Angry Grimace

Haha I love space sheep. I kinda wanna play that deck now

Wasn't Voice like that too?

Voice and Sphinx's Revelation were both like that.

LSV is so weird sometimes:

Top 5 Clans

5. Abzan
4. Jeskai
3. Sultai
2. Mardu
1. Temur

Top 5 Clans in a Meaningful Order (in this case, power level in Limited)

5. Sultai
4. Jeskai
3. Temur
2. Mardu
1. Abzan

And then he doesn't explain the first list at all. He's clearly not talking about Constructed since he does separate set reviews for Constructed now.

y2dvd

Flavor wise maybe? Yeah that first part makes no sense without explanation. Whatever the case, it's pretty close to my rankings from a few pages back!

1. Temur
2. Abzan
3. Jeskai
4. Mardu
5. Sultai

It seems like everyone is agreeing that Abzan is top 2 for sure.

Firemind

Obviously it's a top five ranking of his favourite clans.

Speaking of clans, I think I'll be lordshardless this time around. None of the clans appeal to me that much.

#teamfetchlands

Angry Grimace

Flavor wise maybe? Yeah that first part makes no sense without explanation. Whatever the case, it's pretty close to my rankings from a few pages back!

1. Temur
2. Abzan
3. Jeskai
4. Mardu
5. Sultai

It seems like everyone is agreeing that Abzan is top 2 for sure.

Abzan and Mardu are really close though. Mostly because you can play Outlast even with Mardu. Just supplement your Outlast guys who wait back with aggressive Mardu guys.

kirblar

PV reason why Sultai is the worst prerelease box: It makes your deck worse because it gives your pool a higher % of Delve cards, when you can only play so many of them to begin with.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";130820594]They've said that when they test new cards they play four a lot of the time so it comes up more often. That way they find out how good it is in fewer games.[/QUOTE]
In R&D they just have a player start with a copy of the card in hand when testing it out. Doesn't work as well in IRL testing, but helps goldfish ideas.

y2dvd

I went to go preregs at our most competitive lgs just now. They were taking entrees two weeks ago and said Temur was actually all snatched up within 3 days and is the only clan out of availability. Looks like I'm not the only one thinking it's the strongest clan lol. Oh well, Abzan it is!

kirblar

I went to go preregs at our most competitive lgs just now. They were taking entrees two weeks ago and said Temur was actually all snatched up within 3 days and is the only clan out of availability. Looks like I'm not the only one thinking it's the strongest clan lol. Oh well, Abzan it is!
A lot of people thought it was strongest early on for some reasons.

f0rk

I'm playing him lol, but hes a roleplayer. Notice a lot of the scg test decks have 4x sarkhan or 4x sorin. The unstated reason why is what I find amusing.

I agree 4 is clearly too many but I really like the rest of the list. Not sure about 4 Brain Maggots

Kacar

Grixis control

Creatures(2)
2xKeranos, God of storms

Planeswalkers(4)
2xAshiok, Nightmare Weaver
2xJace, The Living Guildpact

Spells(27)
4xThoughtseize
2xDespise
2xNegate
3xDissolve
4xDivination
3xAnger of the Gods
3xHero's Downfall
2xJace's Ingenuity
2xMurderous Cuts
2xMagma Jet

Lands(27)
4xTemple of Malice
4xTemple of Deceit
3xTemple of Epiphany
4xBloodstained Mire
3xPolluted Delta
2xShivan Reef
1xUrborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
2xSwamp
2xIsland
2xMountain

Sideboard(15)
2xDespise
1xHero's Downfall
3xDark Betrayal
2xGainsay
2xNegate
1xAnger of the Gods
2xFeast of Dreams
2xExtinguish all Hope

Only went with Grixis cause its the only 3 color group I have a full 12 playset of in terms of temples. Open to suggestions I know the list is all over the place this is my drunk brew of the night.

Zocano

Yah... I decided to do one Temur and one Abzan prerelease.

It's mostly because I already pre-ordered Sultai cards and don't really want more duplicates.

Would prefer at least definite Temur and Abzan cards that I know I won't have. Plus, as much as I like Sultai, Abzan and Temur seem the strongest.

sgjackson

Very good night of limited magic tonight. It turns out Zurgo and a band of relatively unexciting Mardu creatures get the job done with an insane removal package of 2 Debilitating Injury, a Kill Shot, a Bring Low, an Arrow Storm, a Burn Away, and a Murderous Cut, alongside 5 relevant taplands. Went base red/white splashing black for removal and Zurgo/Ponyback and went 3-0, splitting the last round.

Also did an M15 draft before the prerelease and finished second in addition to opening a Chandra.

Just got back from prerelease. Went 1-1 as it was single elimination.

Played Abzan and pulled a Zarkahn which won me two games on his back alone. Not a very good deck as I splashed red to fit Zarkahn in.

Had a lot of fun and I hope the next two sets are as fun as this one.

Negator

Went 1-2. My pool was decent, but it was hindered by a severe lack of mana fixing. It was so bad that I was running Rattleclaw Mystic in my Mardu deck to have another source of red mana. One tri-land and one tap land in my colors. Why.

y2dvd

Guy next to me opens 3 fetchlands, one of them being foil. OKAY. o_o I at least open one I suppose, though that was the only money card.

Went 2-2. I did some misplays which cost me the game so I'll be kicking myself over that but it was a lot of fun. Morph complicates combat in a good way. I've made some questionable decisions on when to play cards face down to just hard casting it. A few times I think it would've simply been better to hard cast cards. There seems to have been a lot of removals in this set.

I'll probably do another one Sunday. Can't believe I did all 4 rounds zZz.

ironmang

Trying to pickup fetches last night gave me flashbacks to RTR where people were hoarding shocks from the start. I understand people want to eventually have playsets of lands so they can be mediocre at a bunch of decks but some people actually want to finish standard decks for the following week. Seeing every fetch being aggressively traded for is depressing.

As far as playing goes I ended up going 3-1 with Abzan. My pool was pretty good but I ran into mulligan problems that ended up keeping all of my matches very close. I really hope they do away with the seeded prelease packs after this block though since it provided the least amount of flexibility yet.

I think I'm going to splash and buy a box of KoT, just so I can actually build some stuff...

Plus you can probably pay for a lot of the box with the fetchlands alone.

Kipe

I think I'm going to splash and buy a box of KoT, just so I can actually build some stuff...

Plus you can probably pay for a lot of the box with the fetchlands alone.

Buy singles if your main motivation is to build. Fetchlands won't pay for the box.

Just got back from the prerelease and finished 3-1 playing Mardu. My deck ran two Butcher of the Horde(one promo), Ankle Shanker, and two Mardu Charms. My mana was messed up in the first round. Once I fixed it the games went a lot smoother.

Last night in the midnight 2HG we went a blah 2-2 with double Mardu. Just now in the individual sealed, I went Abzan and opened a deck with a solid curve and Duneblast as my promo.

I'm not impresses with Outlast so far. It always feels bad to try and use it when you could be attacking, and if you're not attacking then you're kind of wanting it to block.

Firemind

I just had an epiphany.

Battlefield Thaumaturge
End of turn Dictate of the Twin Gods
Howl of the Horde, attack, Arc Lightning, deal one damage to random creature, rest to you.
16 damage for one mana lol
Or convoke Stoke the Flames for 24 damage I guess.

I seeded with abzan and went undefeated in 6 round for the prerelease last night. I had barely any removal and just a large suite of on curve stable creatures. Outlast is amazing on anything below 3cmc and especially the sliver-esque mechanics they share. I only ever had the ones that give first strike and life link but those and the 1 drop back 0/4 with outlast was an all star. And I had several instants that added counters. I would change my other prereleases this weekend to abzan if I could.

Angry Grimace

I just had an epiphany.

Battlefield Thaumaturge
End of turn Dictate of the Twin Gods
Howl of the Horde, attack, Arc Lightning, deal one damage to random creature, rest to you.
16 damage for one mana lol
Or convoke Stoke the Flames for 24 damage I guess.
You attack before Howl.

Wichu

PV reason why Sultai is the worst prerelease box: It makes your deck worse because it gives your pool a higher % of Delve cards, when you can only play so many of them to begin with.

I played Sultai and I wish I had more delve cards. I only had two Treasure Cruise, a Become Immense, and a Sultai Scavenger.

alternade

Going sultai today after femur last night. Villainous wealth is ridiculous after playing against it last night. Just keep in mind that all the spels must be played upon resolution of casting it. Had a opponenet convinced he could play those cards for the rest of the game.

f0rk

Not a fan of what these gain life dual lands do to sealed. They really slow the format down even more, was frustrating trying to play a more aggressive decks when everyone starts on 23 life.

Angry Grimace

Pretty terrible pool. Picked Abzan and got almost nothing decent in white, so I moved to a durdly terrible Temur thing.

inthrall

Opened Jeskai and played Mardu, went 4-1 with a Sorin carrying me through half the battles, and Mardu Ascendancy through the other half

ultron87

Temur was fun. Stuck a few two drops and morphs and then protected them with the Charm, Disdainful Stroke (soooooo good) and Mindswipe. If they don't cast something unmorph end of turn and Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom