• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.
Updates!

4 Mantis Rider
2 Stormbreath Dragon

2 Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker (-2)
2 Jace, the Living Guildpact

2 Deflecting Palm (-2)
4 Jeskai Charm
4 Lightning Strike
4 Mindswipe
2 Dig Through Time
2 Dissolve ++
2 Negate ++
4 Magma Jet
2 Taigam's Scheming ++

4 Battlefield Forge
2 Island
2 Mountain
4 Mystic Monastery
4 Shivan Reef
2 Temple of Enlightenment
4 Temple of Epiphany
2 Temple of Triumph

SB: 4 Anger of the Gods
SB: 4 Banishing Light
SB: 1 Keranos, God of Storms
SB: 4 Satyr Firedancer
SB: 2 Searing Blood

Counter burn is alive

Just trashed the Abzan Rhino/Brimaz removal deck

kirblar

I don't understand playing Rhino in a format where Reaper and Polukranos are legal. (Are people forgetting that Reaper wasn't in RTR?)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't understand playing Rhino in a format where Reaper and Polukranos are legal. (Are people forgetting that Reaper wasn't in RTR?)

Rhino is a 6 point life swing as an ETB and has Trample. Its that simple. Reaper requires 6 mana to cast with Hexproof protection and Deathtouch hasn't been terribly relevant in recent blocks. Polukranos is a beater that doesn't do anything like 90% of the time; its Monstrosity ability is mostly useless in colors with lots of removal in them already.

Firemind

Right now its Jace the Living Guildpact if a Counterburn deck becomes "good," which is kind of a vague standard, and Genesis Hydra if one is maindecked in the top 8 of PT Khans of Tarkir. The first bet is upgraded to Jace, the Mind Sculptor, if a Counterburn deck wins PT Khans of Tarkir.
What if The Living Guildpact is in the top 8 of the PT? :p

And for counterburn, how about if Mindswipe is in the top 8? It counters and burns after all.

MTGO: A few days ago I bought and cracked a VMA booster because I don't feel confident in the (read: any) draft format... pulled a disappointing Baleful Strix. On a whim / beer #4, I gave it another shot tonight. Scored a Mana Drain and foil Tundra :)

(Still learning how to draft and I know VMA is going away soon. I thought I'd get a few boosters of it between now and then to try my luck. Also, I actually won one of those 'new to M15 phantom drafts' today. Had a decent deck, I thought, but my opponent in the last round just bailed or dropped somehow when I cast Return to the Ranks for 6 creatures that he personally Mind Sculpted into by yard. Would've preferred a proper win, but whatevs. Trying to gain the confidence to actually enter a real draft sometime soon - in time for Khans, when the format's new etc.)

Anyway, nothing super unique, but I was pretty psyched and thought I'd share.

duxstar

Polukranos basically reads "target player uses removal this turn" I very rarely see Polukranos stick , because every deck needs an answer for a big creature, and normally has one in their hand, even if they don't have removal you can chump block for a bit.

Siege Rhino at minimum does 3 damage when he enters and already has trample, meaning things like Elspeth Soldiers or Sylvan Carytids can't prevent all the damage every turn.

Bonethug

For those testing on Cockatrice or proxies, have you run into any Temur Ramp?

I feel like Sagu Mauler would be hard to deal with after it lands, but I don't know if the right ramp spells exist in standard right now to pull it off.

Savage Knuckleblade kind of fills the Huntmaster 4 drop slot.

y2dvd

Melissa DeTora's clan rankings:
1. Mardu
2. Temur
3. Sultai
4. Abzan
5. Jeskai

It's a bit different than mines where I had Temur on top, but she took into account all cards available in the clans' colors.

For those testing on Cockatrice or proxies, have you run into any Temur Ramp?

I feel like Sagu Mauler would be hard to deal with after it lands, but I don't know if the right ramp spells exist in standard right now to pull it off.

Savage Knuckleblade kind of fills the Huntmaster 4 drop slot.

My girlfriend plays Temur ramp but it's just GR splashing Knucklebro and Temur Charm.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";130597538]My girlfriend plays Temur ramp but it's just GR splashing Knucklebro and Temur Charm.[/QUOTE]

I like Surrak in that deck too. Decent combat trick to push those last points of damage through.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";130597538]My girlfriend plays Temur ramp but it's just GR splashing Knucklebro and Temur Charm.[/QUOTE]

Exactly what i;ve played against on cockatrice Temur decks. Plus Surrak.

Wasn't very hard to deal with.

One guy swung with knuclebro, and he had 6 life. then he +2/2'd him and i deflecting palmed. Was great.

GW Aggro

4x Soldier of the Pantheon
4x Sunblade Elf
2x Herald of Anafenza
4x Fleecemane Lion
4x Raise the Alarm
3x Brimaz, King of Oreskos
4x Boon Satyr
4x Eidolon of Countless Battles
4x High Sentinels of Arashin

3x Ajani Steadfast

4x Windswept Heath
4x Temple of Plenty
2x Mana Confluence
7x Plains
7x Forest

Sideboard:
4x Mistcutter Hydra
3x Devouring Light
4x Banishing Light
2x Nissa Worldwaker
2x Reclamation Sage

Man, it just doesn't feel as strong without Caller of the Pride.

I like Surrak in that deck too. Decent combat trick to push those last points of damage through.
Not a bad call.

Firemind

I'm surprised people aren't considering Broodmate bird in white decks with creatures. I imagine there's a place for it somewhere. I can see it reaching Archangel of Thune prices, if people weren't going to open millions of Khans boxes.

Angry Grimace

^No ajani's presence?

Almost your entire board dies to anger of the gods.

What really hurts it is the lack of Brave the Elements.

I'm surprised people aren't considering Broodmate bird in white decks with creatures. I imagine there's a place for it somewhere. I can see it reaching Archangel of Thune prices, if people weren't going to open millions of Khans boxes.

The problem is that people don't like cards that conditionally do things. I personally think its better than its being given credit for, but a lot of people seemed to disagree with me.

Firemind

I mean, you can attack with a Nyx-Fleece Ram to trigger raid if you really wanted to. Best part is nobody will expect you to attack with it.

Angry Grimace

I mean, you can attack with a Nyx-Fleece Ram to trigger raid if you really wanted to. Best part is nobody will expect you to attack with it.

The reason people don't like it is because everyone evaluates cards on an empty board state.

Honestly, Raid feels like a fixed Inspired. Both are only really good when you want to be attacking every turn, but Raid gets the ability immediately.

Can you imagine if Pain Seer's ability was a Raid trigger? So much better.

duxstar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";130605995]GW Aggro

4x Soldier of the Pantheon
4x Sunblade Elf
2x Herald of Anafenza
4x Fleecemane Lion
4x Raise the Alarm
3x Brimaz, King of Oreskos
4x Boon Satyr
4x Eidolon of Countless Battles
4x High Sentinels of Arashin

3x Ajani Steadfast

4x Windswept Heath
4x Temple of Plenty
2x Mana Confluence
7x Plains
7x Forest

Sideboard:
4x Mistcutter Hydra
3x Devouring Light
4x Banishing Light
2x Nissa Worldwaker
2x Reclamation Sage

Man, it just doesn't feel as strong without Caller of the Pride.

Not a bad call.[/QUOTE]

Green / White aggro on its own is dead , black adds some options, aggro that's not mono black or red hard to pull off since 3/5 the decks are going to be running Sylvan/Courser.

Raid only cares if you declared an attacker, right?

As in, if you had Reconnaissance on the table, attacked with a guy, then removed him from combat immediately, Raid would still be satisfied?

Firemind

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";130615013]Wingmate Roc is insane, but 5 mana is a ton for aggro and there's Nissa/Ajani at 5 in midrange.

Maybe like a B/W midrange deck wants it?[/QUOTE]
Nissa and Ajani are green. The advantage Wingmate has is it's mono white, so it can fit in a mono white devotion shell, U/W, B/W or even R/W. Flying is also not to be underestimated with coursers and elspeths everywhere. It can even attack through prognostic sphinx and is somewhat resilient to removal.

ultron87

Raid only cares if you declared an attacker, right?

As in, if you had Reconnaissance on the table, attacked with a guy, then removed him from combat immediately, Raid would still be satisfied?

Yup. The only thing it checks is whether you actually declared a creature as an attacker. This does, of course, mean that things that "enter the battlefield tapped and attacking" don't count. Like Meandering Towershell the turn it comes back, for example.

Angry Grimace

High Sentinels is a card I don't understand - it seems like it just ruins limited without any real upside.

All of the Outlast sliver guys kind of do. Its part of why I think white is OP. All of the Outlast guys are playable due to counter-slivers at common and there's not all that much removal to blow them up while they sit around pumping iron.

High Sentinels is a card I don't understand - it seems like it just ruins limited without any real upside.

That card is a serious bomb. The Lash of the Whip reprint (can't remember what it's actually card) is just about the only common that would see play that could answer it. It seems unfair that it only cost a single white mana; most of the other limited bomb rares require you to hit pretty specific colors to make them work.

ultron87

That card is a serious bomb. The Lash of the Whip reprint (can't remember what it's actually card) is just about the only common that would see play that could answer it. It seems unfair that it only cost a single white mana; most of the other limited bomb rares require you to hit pretty specific colors to make them work.

It isn't quite that bad. Smite the Monstrous, Kill Shot, and Murderous Cut also take it down. And there is a reasonable amount of uncommon stuff that gets rid of it. But it is indeed quite good.

There are some nice charts out of all the tricks and morphs but I'm never going to remember this stuff for the weekend. I'm just glad they did the "your morph can't get blown out by a morph for less than 5 mana" thing. That at least is a super easy rule to remember.

Gut check: if you had to pick a wedge that has the best chance for a superfriends deck with support, what would you say is a good one to brew in right now? Superfriends in this place being getting all 6 gods (or less depending on whether they suck) with devotion support from non creature permanents.

Right now, I think a green-included wedge is the best bet because of the good 12 card shell plus chord and genesis as effective tutoring to get around trickier matters of mana.

Sultai? Nylea, Erebos, Thassa, Kruphix, Pharika, Phenax. Support from Ashiok, Jace, Liliana, Nissa, and Kiora.

Azban? Nylea, Heliod, Erebos, Athreos, Pharika, Karametra. Support from Elspeth, Nissa, Garruk, Liliana, Sorin, and 2 Ajanis.

Temur? Nylea, Thassa, Purphoros, Kruphix, Xenagos, Keranos. Support from Nissa, Chandra, Jace, Kiora, Xenagos, and Sarkhan.

I know this strategy has never been super stable, but we have color fixing and a great ramp shell with tutors to get gods pretty easy. And barely any weak cards in the colors.

I was thinking that just based on the back up planeswalkers suite. Plus it has upside from some good protection and removal. This deck type has been on my I-know-I'm-dreaming brew list for a while.

Also, why? It forces your opponent to have exiting removal. It's a bunch of indestructible permanents that still do things even if they're not creatures.

I also want to name the deck You Say "YES"!

I was thinking that just based on the back up planeswalkers suite. Plus it has upside from some good protection and removal. This deck type has been on my I-know-I'm-dreaming brew list for a while.

I just don't get it. How are you going to turn on your 4 mana enchantment with a bunch of 5-mana planeswalkers that only add two devotion before basically any deck kills you?

I'm very suspicious.

kirblar

If you're playing PWs, you're playing Courser/Caryatid, and then I think Ajani is the one you have to build around because of his +1 self-replacing itself. Gods seems really bad in the new T2 though.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";130644413]I just don't get it. How are you going to turn on your 4 mana enchantment with a bunch of 5-mana planeswalkers that only add two devotion before basically any deck kills you?

I'm very suspicious.[/QUOTE]

Sir, this is just one of those brew dreams. Not a deck list fully formed. The only things I have right now are the end goal of God's and planeswalkers and a means of getting there being mystic/caryatid/courser. Also, any clan 3 drop provides a devotion going either way to the mono gods and two any way to the dual gods.

When I get home from work I can brew and post a deck list to demonstrate what I mean.

And kirblar, I agree. God's really shouldn't be looked at as anything more than indestructible enchantments at this point. But I see a home for maybe one of the dual colored gods in a wedge more than a mono colored god.

kirblar

There are images I'm not seeing because imgur is blocked for me, aren't there? :p (I'm only responding to text.)

You can pick up Mires for about 11 each on Amazon right now- I just grabbed a set because it seems like it's the one most likely to jump in the short term.

You know, I'm starting to warm up to the possibility of Eldrazi appearing in "Louie". Think about this happening: Sarkhan, Sorin, and Ugin return to the present, only to have the Eldrazi attack, drawn by the temporal energy, led by Kozilek (Ulamog is still on Zendikar, and it's not the time to fight Emrakul). Moreover, they find the Lithomancer, who helped Sorin and Ugin seal the Eldrazi away long ago--he has had Eldrazi Conscription cast on him and is now an Eldrazi herald! The dragons and the clans unite to fight the new threat, but with the Lithomancer now evil, things look hopeless. Sarkhan finally finds his place in life at this point, becoming a Temur planeswalker (thus becoming Sharkhan). His GUR magic, combined with Sorin's WB magic and Ugin's colorless magic, is able to seal away Kozilek and defeat the Eldrazi on that plane, though the Lithomancer is able to flee. While everyone is celebrating, Emrakul is all like, "Fu fu fu, Kozilek was a pathetic fool. He was always the weakest of us."

rexor0717

You know, I'm starting to warm up to the possibility of Eldrazi appearing in "Louie". Think about this happening: Sarkhan, Sorin, and Ugin return to the present, only to have the Eldrazi attack, drawn by the temporal energy, led by Kozilek (Ulamog is still on Zendikar, and it's not the time to fight Emrakul). Moreover, they find the Lithomancer, who helped Sorin and Ugin seal the Eldrazi away long ago--he has had Eldrazi Conscription cast on him and is now an Eldrazi herald! The dragons and the clans unite to fight the new threat, but with the Lithomancer now evil, things look hopeless. Sarkhan finally finds his place in life at this point, becoming a Temur planeswalker (thus becoming Sharkhan). His GUR magic, combined with Sorin's WB magic and Ugin's colorless magic, is able to seal away Kozilek and defeat the Eldrazi on that plane, though the Lithomancer is able to flee. While everyone is celebrating, Emrakul is all like, "Fu fu fu, Kozilek was a pathetic fool. He was always the weakest of us."

I kinda want exactly this.

Angry Grimace

I don't think you're going to see more three color walkers outside of supplemental stuff.

kirblar

No Eldrazi, but we probably have Hedrons. (h/t SCG article- look at the Abzan symbol.)

Dragons + Eldrazi = too much to pack in one set. And remember, this set was designed primarily with the old block model in mind.

Angry Grimace

No Eldrazi, but we probably have Hedrons. (h/t SCG article- look at the Abzan symbol.)

Dragons + Eldrazi = too much to pack in one set. And remember, this set was designed primarily with the old block model in mind.

I want to Return to Rabiah but Maro said its a 10 on the Storm Scale. :-(

Angry Grimace

Yeah, real-world IPs are a no-go, understandably.
It's not anymore though; it's a plane called the Thousandfold Refraction. Just don't have Baghdad and Alexandria in a new set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom