• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnPoint

Traded away my Sarkhan Saturday night for $30. It jumps up to $40 the next day. I really should pay attention to these events before making trades. -_-

It'll be 40 for a month and slowly come down as supply starts to fill the market. Don't beat yourself up over it, 30 isn't bad.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Traded away my Sarkhan Saturday night for $30. It jumps up to $40 the next day. I really should pay attention to these events before making trades. -_-

Sarkhan's still at $30 on TCGPlayer if it makes you feel better.

I'm glad I picked one up at $20 earlier.

ElyrionX

Picked up the pieces I needed for my Jeskai Tempo deck. Sarkhan's kind of expensive right now so I'm using Stormbreath as a holdover till a price drop. Will be taking it to a Wednesday Night Magic event this week so we'll see how that goes.

I am incredibly frustrated with West Michigan's magic scene. We have, in the Grand Rapids area, 6 very active LGS that offer things like Modern and even a hobbled together Legacy scene. But if you want to play Standard? Friday night only. There is a Wednesday night brewing and playtesting thing in Holland, about 20 miles away, but at all 6 games stores, there is no standard happening on any other night but Friday.

I have been begging the stores I regularly haunt to start something up, but they all seem gun shy. I want more practice with my cards and I want a chance to try out my cards more than once per week. Besides moving, what's the solution? Does anyone know a successful way to get a Standard "movement" happening locally?

Firemind

Don't they have Game Days? Besides FNM, there's not really much to offer nowadays. In the past, you had Regionals, States, Standard PTQs, City Champs, Junior Super Series. Now you have more GPs, but locally not much.

There's always playing for fun. Or MTGO dailies.

Picked up the pieces I needed for my Jeskai Tempo deck. Sarkhan's kind of expensive right now so I'm using Stormbreath as a holdover till a price drop. Will be taking it to a Wednesday Night Magic event this week so we'll see how that goes.

I'm doing the same (stormbreath for sarkhan). Whats your list look like?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I mean the problem with Standard tourneys is that they probably don't make nearly as much money for the LGS as running drafts so they don't do them as often.

Wichu

The Journey into Nyx fat pack I ordered a month ago finally arrived!

I pulled Eidolon of the Great Revel, Temple of Epiphany, Ajani, Mentor of Heroes, and foil Mana Confluence. Makes up for my crappy Dragon's Maze fat pack this time last year (to be fair, it was Dragon's Maze).

kirblar

The Journey into Nyx fat pack I ordered a month ago finally arrived!

I pulled Eidolon of the Great Revel, Temple of Epiphany, Ajani, Mentor of Heroes, and foil Mana Confluence. Makes up for my crappy Dragon's Maze fat pack this time last year (to be fair, it was Dragon's Maze).
In about 3-4 months you can make bank off that Confluence.

bigkrev

The other problem with Standard tournaments is that they require constant updating (every year) to stay legal. If I take a break from the game, I can come back and start playing Modern or Legacy instantly, because unless the ban list was updated, My deck is perfectly legal. In drafts regard, you don't even need a deck to play- a lapsed player or a brand new player can just show up and have the same "chance" to win as an experienced player.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The other problem with Standard tournaments is that they require constant updating (every year) to stay legal. If I take a break from the game, I can come back and start playing Modern or Legacy instantly, because unless the ban list was updated, My deck is perfectly legal. In drafts regard, you don't even need a deck to play- a lapsed player or a brand new player can just show up and have the same "chance" to win as an experienced player.

I don't think that is a real problem given the cost of Modern.

MjFrancis

I bit pretty hard into Mardu preorders instead of Jeskai. At least I got Stoke the Flames and Rabblemaster before they spiked.

I'll still be drafting far more often than I'll be playing constructed at all so I'm not too worried. I still have a nice U/B Control, mono-black aggro that can be moved into Mardu, and most of a Jeskai burn deck. I'm missing Sarkhan, two Mantis Riders and some land, but unless I'm playing beyond an FNM I'm not bothered all that much by the losses. And with all the drafting I'm sure to run into one of these or at the very least accumulate trade bait for them.

kirblar

I bit pretty hard into Mardu preorders instead of Jeskai. At least I got Stoke the Flames and Rabblemaster before they spiked.

I'll still be drafting far more often than I'll be playing constructed at all so I'm not too worried. I still have a nice U/B Control, mono-black aggro that can be moved into Mardu, and most of a Jeskai burn deck. I'm missing Sarkhan, two Mantis Riders and some land, but unless I'm playing beyond an FNM I'm not bothered all that much by the losses. And with all the drafting I'm sure to run into one of these or at the very least accumulate trade bait for them.
Jeskai really was only Mantis Rider + Charm as unique spells. Dig Through Time can't be more than a 2-x in a deck so it will stay cheap.

Not surprised Stoke went crazy- core sets just don't sell anymore.

Firemind

Jeskai really was only Mantis Rider + Charm as unique spells. Dig Through Time can't be more than a 2-x in a deck so it will stay cheap.

There's also Rabblemaster which will increase even further if red gets more popular. Am I glad I got them for 2.50 a piece. :lol

Sarkhan can wait until more boxes are moved.

OnPoint

Bu-bu-bu-why are they doing away with them?

Good riddance.

MaRo's new color pie article for Abzan. Surprisingly, judging from the link he provided at the top, this is the first color pie article he has done since Shards, which doesn't feel right, but whatever. I thought it was interesting, but as a warning, this is another one of those articles where he interviews the colors and treats them like people.

OnPoint

MaRo's new color pie article for Abzan. Surprisingly, judging from the link he provided at the top, this is the first color pie article he has done since Shards, which doesn't feel right, but whatever. I thought it was interesting, but as a warning, this is another one of those articles where he interviews the colors and treats them like people.

W: You and I have had our differences, but at least you understand the importance of long term planning. Red drives me nuts.

B: You also seem to understand the importance of sacrifice. You have this stupid tendency to lean toward self-sacrifice, but you do get that, sometimes, to win the long game, you have to give things up during the short game.

G: It's all connected. The tiny seed and the mighty oak are just two ends of the same spectrum.

B: I never have any idea what you're saying.

:lol

Angry Grimace

Sometimes Maro's inherent nerdiness becomes less amusing.

Angry Grimace

Maybe I'm crazy but it seems like the period between release and the first Pro Tour are terrible times to invest in cards.

Were Mono-Black and Mono-Blue even "things" before the first Pro Tour?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I've actually been doing a lot of thinking lately about how, with the material written about the color pie, it actually seems like a powerful framework for fictional character analysis, hell maybe even actual philosophy. The enemy dynamics especially seem particularly elegant in how they capture basic conflicts

kirblar

I've actually been doing a lot of thinking lately about how, with the material written about the color pie, it actually seems like a powerful framework for fictional character analysis, hell maybe even actual philosophy. The enemy dynamics especially seem particularly elegant in how they capture basic conflicts
It's definitely a good way to think about character motivations.

Kipe

Maybe I'm crazy but it seems like the period between release and the first Pro Tour are terrible times to invest in cards.

Were Mono-Black and Mono-Blue even "things" before the first Pro Tour?

I don't think so. Master of Waves spiked up because of the Pro Tour not before. Not too many people cared for Black Devotion even though it made top eight. I was trading for Pack Rats and Underworld Connections from people thinking they were junk rares the week after the Pro Tour.

Angry Grimace

Someone on SA just suggested to me that Pro Tour Theros didn't "invent" Mono-Black or Mono-Blue but I kind of think they did. Whether the actual players of those decklists originally invented them or not, they clearly weren't in the public mind since the prices on the cards in the decks increased after the Pro Tour and those decks weren't even played in the random SCG events before that.

In that sense, I feel like its assuming better skills at card evaluation than we really have to assume any particular deck is going to be "the deck," or "the card."

Yeah, it's a common thing on MaRo's blog to ask him to assign colors to different fictional characters. Though it's also important to remember that any character is capable of displaying aspects of any color, so you have to restrict what you are using the colors for.

Seems like she needed a keyword with her ability on that 3/3 body. Something to give her further utility or durabilty. Like hexproof or regenerate or (something blue). Her ability is nice, and her body size ain't bad. It's just she seems too vulnerable otherwise. People talk about her like she's the full package, but she's just a 3/3 for 4 with upside as is.

kirblar

Seems like she needed a keyword with her ability on that 3/3 body. Something to give her further utility or durabilty. Like hexproof or regenerate or (something blue). Her ability is nice, and her body size ain't bad. It's just she seems too vulnerable otherwise. People talk about her like she's the full package, but she's just a 3/3 for 4 with upside as is.
The 2/2s getting blocked by Caryatid all day is a real issue.

I suspect what's going on is simple- not many people had figured out that Jeskai blew up the green decks prior to this weekend, and the few that did were highly rewarded. I don't think Jadine's build is even that good, but the Riders + Lightning Blasts/Strikes alone probably won her a lot of matches.

rexor0717

Would U to return to hand have been to much? She does seem very underwhelming but she does enable some delve shenanigans. Is there no reanimation in standard right now?

Angry Grimace

Magic: the Gathering |OT| Complaining about female bodies without being sexist.

rexor0717

Whip of Erebos.
I don't really know the meta too well, but I was watching that tournament yesterday and she seemed to unfortunately mill away the guys win-cons. Recursion kinda goes against what delve is about, but you still make a pretty fat graveyard. Seems like Sidisi decks might want some reanimation.

I don't really know the meta too well, but I was watching that tournament yesterday and she seemed to unfortunately mill away the guys win-cons. Recursion kinda goes against what delve is about, but you still make a pretty fat graveyard. Seems like Sidisi decks might want some reanimation.

IIRC, Sultai decks run Nyx Weaver for Regrowth effects, and some do run Whip of Erebos.

Wichu

The 2/2s getting blocked by Caryatid all day is a real issue.

Oh man, I completely forgot that Caryatid blocks 2/2s all day. My planned morph deck :(

...oh wait.

153.jpg

Limited jank horse to the rescue!

ultron87

My one box a year is being held up by another pre-order game I put in the order from CoolStuffInce. Damn you Machi Koro and your easy to learn fun that was supposed to be out in September!

Speaking of boxes I was gonna buy a Korean booster box at my LGS on release day but my identity got stolen that morning and my card got blocked so somebody else got it. :(

f0rk

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";132204275]Speaking of boxes I was gonna buy a Korean booster box at my LGS on release day but my identity got stolen that morning and my card got blocked so somebody else got it. :([/QUOTE]
That sucks, a foreign language box would be cool. How much more was it?

I ordered a bunch of cards from mcm and went with German promo rabble masters because they were cheap lol. I should have checked if the guy had wild nacatals, the German ones are strictly better

Abzan Midrange Constellation Reanimator

Creatures(23):
  • 4x Satyr Wayfinder
  • 4x Brain Maggot
  • 4x Nyx Weaver
  • 4x Siege Rhino
  • 3x Eidolon of Blossoms
  • 3x Hornet Queen
  • 1x Ashen Rider

Spells(8):
  • 4x Commune With the Gods
  • 4x Murderous Cut

Enchantments(5):
  • 2x Banishing Light
  • 2x Whip of Erebos
  • 1x Pharika, God of Affliction

Land(24):
  • 1x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
  • 1x Mana Confluence
  • 4x Sandsteppe Citadel
  • 4x Windswept Heath
  • 3x Llanowar Wastes
  • 2x Caves of Koilos
  • 2x Temple of Malady
  • 2x Temple of Plenty
  • 1x Temple of Silence
  • 3x Forest
  • 1x Plains

Sideboard(15):
  • 2x Reclamation Sage
  • 1x Stain the Mind
  • 1x Empty the Pits
  • 4x Drown in Sorrow
  • 4x Nyx-Fleece Ram
  • 2x Suspension Field
  • 1x Tormod's Crypt

That sucks, a foreign language box would be cool. How much more was it?

$20 above the price of a regular box.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";132244754]Abzan Midrange Constellation Reanimator

Creatures(24):
  • 4x Satyr Wayfinder
  • 4x Brain Maggot
  • 4x Nyx Weaver
  • 4x Siege Rhino
  • 3x Eidolon of Blossoms
  • 3x Hornet Queen
  • 2x Ashen Rider

Spells(8):
  • 4x Commune With the Gods
  • 4x Murderous Cut

Enchantments(4):
  • 2x Banishing Light
  • 2x Whip of Erebos

Land(24):
  • 1x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
  • 1x Mana Confluence
  • 4x Sandsteppe Citadel
  • 4x Windswept Heath
  • 3x Llanowar Wastes
  • 2x Caves of Koilos
  • 2x Temple of Malady
  • 2x Temple of Plenty
  • 1x Temple of Silence
  • 3x Forest
  • 1x Plains

Sideboard(15):
  • 2x Reclamation Sage
  • 1x Stain the Mind
  • 1x Empty the Pits
  • 4x Drown in Sorrow
  • 4x Nyx-Fleece Ram
  • 2x Suspension Field
  • 1x Tormod's Crypt

$20 above the price of a regular box.[/QUOTE]

Just run Hero's Downfall

Zocano

I don't understand the purpose of running a card like brain maggot when we already have Thoughtseize. I mean, you're playing Siege Rhino so the life shouldn't be too detrimental.

edit: That is unless you don't have the Thoughtseizes which is different and understandable.

I don't understand the purpose of running a card like brain maggot when we already have Thoughtseize. I mean, you're playing Siege Rhino so the life shouldn't be too detrimental.

edit: That is unless you don't have the Thoughtseizes which is different and understandable.

Commune with the Gods and Eidolon of Blossoms

duxstar

One day soon I will go on a tirade about why I hate Thoughtseize/Despise effects so much.....

The short version is; it forces you to have a perfect draw, and if you get hit with 2 back to back; your left top decking and the game is taken completely out of your control with absolutely no drawback for the person playing thoughtseize turn 1; I just want one card from magic that say's "if opposing player makes you reveal your hand put this 2/2 or 3/3 creature on the battlefield".

There's a reason its considered the most powerful card in standard.

So I have a standard event on 10/7.

Here is what I have so far:

2 Rabblemans
4 Mantis Riders
2 Stormbreaths
4 seeker of the ways

1 chandra

4 lightning strike
4 jeskai charm
4 magma jet
4 stoke the falmes

2 banishing light
1 steam augury
2 dig through time
1 disdainful stroke
1 deflecting palm

4 mystic monastary (not sure about 4 of these)
4 temple of epiphany
2 temple of enlightenment
2 temple of triumph
4 shivan reef
4 battlefield forge
2 islands
2 mountains

SB
3 anger of the gods
1 keranos
1 narset
2 banishing light
2 negate
2 magma spray
1 deflecting palm
1 steam augury
2 disdainful stroke

SB need some work possibly.

I wish I had 4 rabble mans and 1 or 2 sarkhans, but I dont think that will happen.

Kicking myself on my spec game right now. I pulled the trigger on Mardu Ascendancy when I wasn't fully confident, and hesitated on Mantis Rider and foil Treasure Cruise when I was pretty confident in them, for no good reason.

Now the Ascendancy only went up 50 cents and will be almost impossible to trade away unless there's a pro tour miracle, while the Rider has quadrupled in value and the foil cruises went from $3 to $20 a piece. Doh. Lessons learned for next time.

duxstar

It'll be 40 for a month and slowly come down as supply starts to fill the market. Don't beat yourself up over it, 30 isn't bad.

I too thought like this with Nissa my friend, but she's actually $45 now , I traded my copy in when she was at $55, my standard deck I want to build would be close to $300 =/ mostly in part because this standard is so planeswalker based.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom