• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

duxstar

Oh and that's 300 AFTER already owning a playset of Sylvan Caryatids, 1 Sarkhan, 2 of the fetch lands I need, and 2 Stormbreath Dragons, 2 Coursers, and a Kiora.

Jesus Christ I need to talk to some friends and see what they aren't using.

OnPoint

I too thought like this with Nissa my friend, but she's actually $45 now , I traded my copy in when she was at $55, my standard deck I want to build would be close to $300 =/ mostly in part because this standard is so planeswalker based.

Core set staples =/= Block Set 1 staples

The core set is not opened very much and certain mythics will stay high because of that (or rares, look at Mutavault during M14 standard). Heck, even Chandra in M14 was high for a while. Aside from Nissa, Rabblemaster and Stoke The Flames, what do people even really need from M15?

Khans will in all likelyhood be the most opened set of all time. There will just be way more of that set on the market, especially with people hoping for fetches. I would say Sarkhan will settle more around 20-25 in a month or three.

MjFrancis

This Boros Burn list got 5th-8th place at TCG Waco last weekend. It seems like there's room to make this even better, but I like the two-color mana base.

4 Goblin Rabblemaster
4 Monastery Swiftspear
4 Seeker of the Way

1 Chandra, Pyromaster

3 Arc Lightning
3 Chained to the Rocks
3 Deflecting Palm
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
4 Searing Blood
4 Stoke the Flames

4 Battlefield Forge
11 Mountain
2 Plains
4 Temple of Triumph
1 Wind-Scarred Crag

SB:
1 Arc Lightning
2 Ashcloud Phoenix
2 Banishing Light
1 Chained to the Rocks
1 Chandra, Pyromaster
1 Deflecting Palm
2 Erase
4 Hushwing Gryff
1 Suspension Field

I thought about making this slightly closer to a midrange burn list:

- 3 Arc Lightning
- 4 Searing Blood

+ 2 Gods Willing
+ 3 Land
+ 2 Sarkhan

Of course, this was smaller than the Star City tournaments and I can see the deck as-is built to combat an aggro metagame. Searing Blood and Arc Lightning would put in a lot of work there. Searing Blood will also help a Prowess creature survive a Courser, while also killing the Courser and dealing 3 damage anyways. Also love the playset of Hushwings in the sideboard - lots of midrange creatures with ETB effects to stop. Less valuable if everyone is packing Mantis Riders though.

I can see a tuned version of this list doing well at FNMs, not so sure about anything bigger. Thoughts on this deck?

So right now every competitive deck should have a plan to fight these matches:

• Jeskai Tempo
  • Abzan Reanimator
  • Gx Devotion
  • Red/Black Aggro
  • Control

These seem like the main contenders so far. Aggro will probably get weeded out in early rounds but you can still lose if you're not prepared for it.

do you live in nyc haha

Close enough, San Francisco!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";132295313]So right now every competitive deck should have a plan to fight these matches:

• Jeskai Tempo
  • Abzan Reanimator
  • Gx Devotion
  • Red/Black Aggro
  • Control

These seem like the main contenders so far. Aggro will probably get weeded out in early rounds but you can still lose if you're not prepared for it.

Close enough, San Francisco![/QUOTE]

In the first two weeks until Pro Tour Theros, Mono Blue Devotion and Mono Black Devotion didn't even appear in the top 32 of SCG Open lists.

I wouldn't worry about any particular deck yet unless you're just a real try-hard.

Wichu

Just ordered three more Master of Waves to keep my lonely single copy company. Even if mono-blue devotion as we knew it is dead, shenanigans with Battlefield Thaumaturge and Daring Thief will continue!

ElyrionX

So I have a standard event on 10/7.

Here is what I have so far:

2 Rabblemans
4 Mantis Riders
2 Stormbreaths
4 seeker of the ways

1 chandra

4 lightning strike
4 jeskai charm
4 magma jet
4 stoke the falmes

2 banishing light
1 steam augury
2 dig through time
1 disdainful stroke
1 deflecting palm

4 mystic monastary (not sure about 4 of these)
4 temple of epiphany
2 temple of enlightenment
2 temple of triumph
4 shivan reef
4 battlefield forge
2 islands
2 mountains

SB
3 anger of the gods
1 keranos
1 narset
2 banishing light
2 negate
2 magma spray
1 deflecting palm
1 steam augury
2 disdainful stroke

SB need some work possibly.

I wish I had 4 rabble mans and 1 or 2 sarkhans, but I dont think that will happen.

Just realized you asked me about my list yesterday and I forgot to reply. It's largely the same as yours. I am using Stormbreath instead of Sarkhan too and I might test out Brimaz.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Just ordered three more Master of Waves to keep my lonely single copy company. Even if mono-blue devotion as we knew it is dead, shenanigans with Battlefield Thaumaturge and Daring Thief will continue!

It could come back if there's 2 and 3 drops to support it in the next two sets, I suppose.

OnPoint

Got my copies of Leyline of Sanctity in the mail yesterday. So I guess I should figure out how they work.

If you play them from your opening hand, can they be countered? (FoW effects, for example)

Any other weird rules I should know about with that?

An-Det

Got my copies of Leyline of Sanctity in the mail yesterday. So I guess I should figure out how they work.

If you play them from your opening hand, can they be countered? (FoW effects, for example)

You start the game with them in play (like Karn), so there is no opportunity to counter them. Nothing too different besides that.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
No, it can't. Stuff like Sanctity happens before any phases even begin.

Angry Grimace

They are not cast, the game just starts with them there.

Angry Grimace

Its really funny how much easier it is to understand turn structure by playing MTGO.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
On the other hand, it's kind of a pain remember triggers once you're used to MTGO taking care of everything for you.

You saw the list that won, right? (I really don't like Necropolis Fiend, too resource-intensive.)

Agreed, here's the actual, less gimmicky version I'm gonna test this weekend:

The Birds and the Bees

Creatures(24):
  • 1x Bloodsoaked Champion
  • 4x Satyr Wayfinder
  • 4x Sylvan Caryatid
  • 4x Nyx Weaver
  • 4x Siege Rhino
  • 3x Wingmate Roc
  • 3x Hornet Queen
  • 1x Ashen Rider

Spells(8):
  • 4x Commune With the Gods
  • 4x Murderous Cut

Enchantments(4):
  • 2x Banishing Light
  • 2x Whip of Erebos

Land(24):
  • 1x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
  • 1x Mana Confluence
  • 3x Sandsteppe Citadel
  • 4x Windswept Heath
  • 3x Llanowar Wastes
  • 2x Caves of Koilos
  • 2x Temple of Malady
  • 2x Temple of Plenty
  • 1x Temple of Silence
  • 3x Forest
  • 2x Plains

Sideboard(15):
  • 2x Reclamation Sage
  • 1x Stain the Mind
  • 1x Empty the Pits
  • 3x Drown in Sorrow
  • 4x Nyx-Fleece Ram
  • 3x Mistcutter Hydra
  • 1x Tormod's Crypt

Basically, I really like this archetype. It's got a better top end than Abzan Midrange with the best finisher in the format(Hornet Queen), but it's more resistant to hate than the Sultai dredge decks because of how midrangey it is. Honestly, I think it's a straight upgrade to Abzan midrange.

Arksy

I opened my first three booster packs ever and this is what I got.

hMvdZwm.jpg

The store where I bought these from said that was an amazing draw...but I'm new and have no idea lol.

Wichu

I opened my first three booster packs ever and this is what I got.

The store where I bought these from said that was an amazing draw...but I'm new and have no idea lol.

Not sure how you got four rares out of three packs unless one is foil?

But yeah, pretty good. Sorin, Mantis Rider, and Wooded Foothills are all in-demand cards, and Sidisi is pretty awesome (even if she's not played as much).

I actually have all four of them as well, but it took me two prereleases and a launch party to get them :p

Firemind

Just realized you asked me about my list yesterday and I forgot to reply. It's largely the same as yours. I am using Stormbreath instead of Sarkhan too and I might test out Brimaz.
The problem with Brimaz is that he isn't as explosive as Rabblemaster and isn't evasive like Mantis Rider. Courser and Elspeth will block it all day. Master of the Way is there to curve out. You generally don't want to stuff your deck with three drops, especially not in a tempo deck.

That Boros aggro deck looks mighty fine. Trades Mantis Rider and Jeskai Charm for a lower curve. Still, Mantis Rider seems sick in this format. Ignores all the best cards in the format and is cheap enough to trade for equal mana in case it gets killed.

My heroic Jeskai build gets wrecked by it. Hopefully the pros find an answer for Jeskai Burn/Tempo.

Arksy

Not sure how you got four rares out of three packs unless one is foil?

But yeah, pretty good. Sorin, Mantis Rider, and Wooded Foothills are all in-demand cards, and Sidisi is pretty awesome (even if she's not played as much).

I actually have all four of them as well, but it took me two prereleases and a launch party to get them :p

Yeah one is a foil, although you can't really see it in the picture.....

As an aside, should I grab the event deck that comes out within the next week here in Australia? I hear it's a black/white warriors deck. I'm really new and I hear the event decks are quite good because they're semi-competitive and newbie friendly.

OnPoint

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";132316250]Wait, wouldn't Dakra Mystic be insane in Sultai Dredge?[/QUOTE]

Same thing with the new Jace.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";132317708]Hmm... I guess you could get an extra Sidisi trigger with it, but I'm not sold on Jace to be honest.[/QUOTE]
I feel like Delve is good as an add-on to strategies, but not good as the focal point. The Jeskai/Reanimator decks made good use of it because they naturally fill their graveyards up with crap anyway.

Hero

Kirblar can you post the deck that is going to be running a playset of queens? Just wondering what else it's running.

Graveyard decks are just the best. There's so many little tricks, like taking a fetchland off of Satyr Wayfinder so you don't reduce the number of cards that go in your graveyard or bluffing Wingmate Roc with Nyx Weaver attacks.

Kirblar can you post the deck that is going to be running a playset of queens? Just wondering what else it's running.

Basically any reanimator/Gx devotion deck.

Angry Grimace

I might have to eat a Hydra, but that's just because I forgot about Green Devotion. But Ashen Rider? Pshaw.

AMUSIX

Does anyone know of any good card wishlist creators? I'm looking for something that will output a printable format, even if it's something simple, like Card Names and check boxes for quantity.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";132325391]It already won one tournament for Khans Standard...[/QUOTE]

SCG Open right after release basically doesn't mean anything (check the decklists at the SCG Opens for the weekends after Theros but prior to PT Theros).

If you're really planning to dump your previous deck and buy more cards due to one random Open in which no meta currently exists, well then, I've got some very nice leather jackets to sell you.

Wichu

As an aside, should I grab the event deck that comes out within the next week here in Australia? I hear it's a black/white warriors deck. I'm really new and I hear the event decks are quite good because they're semi-competitive and newbie friendly.

If you want - it won't be winning tournaments, but it should be decent at FNM level. Plus that Sorin fits in quite nicely :)

The fuck, those are ridiculous pulls. Is Sorin the foil?

Looks like it might be the Sidisi, going by how the card information at the bottom looks darker than on the others (foils have foil text there rather than white text).

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";132316250]Wait, wouldn't Dakra Mystic be insane in Sultai Dredge?[/QUOTE]

Speaking of Dakra Mystic, it's unreasonably hard to find for a recent uncommon. Two JOU drafts, a fat pack, and checking through other peoples draft leftovers, and I still haven't found any :/

If you're really planning to dump your previous deck and buy more cards due to one random Open in which no meta currently exists, well then, I've got some very nice leather jackets to sell you.

I already have all the cards for the Abzan Reanimator deck... and it's basically the same as the midrange one except you swap out the planeswalkers for a dredge package and Hornet Queens.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";132327938]I already have all the cards for the Abzan Reanimator deck... and it's basically the same as the midrange one except you swap out the planeswalkers for a dredge package and Hornet Queens.[/QUOTE]

And why is this a better list?

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";132328346]Because Hornet Queen is better than Elspeth and dredge gives you tons of options in the midgame and you get to run 4 of a card that costs as little as one mana and kills stormbreath dragon?[/QUOTE]

I love how you act like this is super obvious yet you weren't playing Hornet Queen last week. :lol

Then why not just play Hornet Queen instead of Elspeth?

I love how you act like this is super obvious yet you weren't playing Hornet Queen last week. :lol

I saw the decklist from the Open and basically slapped myself. I was already at the point where I knew Green Devotion was great because Hornet Queen kills midrange, but it just didn't register in my head to play the damn thing lol

Then why not just play Hornet Queen instead of Elspeth?

That's basically what's going on. But then I swapped Sorin for Whip of Erebos because it's harder to kill and pretty much all my creatures have ETB triggers anyway, and the last push just kind of came naturally as a result.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";132329150]I saw the decklist from the Open and basically slapped myself. I was already at the point where I knew Green Devotion was great because Hornet Queen kills midrange, but it just didn't register in my head to play the damn thing lol

That's basically what's going on. But then I swapped Sorin for Whip of Erebos because it's harder to kill and pretty much all my creatures have ETB triggers anyway, and the last push just kind of came naturally as a result.[/QUOTE]

Its easier to kill, actually. Erase costs one mana. The fact that people don't mainboard Erase doesn't mean there isn't a lot of Enchantment hate out there (Destructive Revelry, Erase, Deicide, Reclamation Sage).

I'm a little leery of Hornet Queen and all her babies dying to Drown in Sorrow, too. But its certainly a card to look at.

If they bring in Drown in Sorrow just to kill the Queen and speculative Empty the Pits, I think I'm fine with that.

Its easier to kill, actually. Erase costs one mana. The fact that people don't mainboard Erase doesn't mean there isn't a lot of Enchantment hate out there.

Harder to kill in the sense that I'm expecting to run into fewer erases and reclamation sages in mainboards than hero's downfalls and... creatures that attack through mine. I have my own sages in the sideboard for banishing light decks as well.

Anyway, the deck is a lot more resilient against destroy effects with whip and nyx weaver which is nice. And recasting a single murderous cut multiple times is fun.

I found that with the midrange deck I was just playing games by ramping up efficient threats every turn. If I stumbled or drew poorly in the late game it got gross. Dredge gives us huge card selection opportunities that increase the consistency of the deck. It also allows for more bullet-type cards in the sideboard like Reclamation Sage because of the increased volume of cards we see per game.

kirblar

Queen blows up a lot of critters in the format- Drown is a very awkward card to bring in against G/x decks because it misses Caryatid/Courser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom