• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
As for Abzan midrange, I actually ended up boarding in Hero's Downfall in several matches. I'm just going to run it double black or not. Its greedy, but I have a greedy, life-siphoning mana base that i'm going to just need to rely on other cards to get me out of (which wasn't typically as hard as it sounds).

ElyrionX

The Indy one is the expected one (32 Caryatids) - The NJ is more of a "Week 2" meta- people had more card availability and Jeskai doing well was NOT an accident because of the way the green decks work.

Can you elaborate on this a bit please? How does Jeskai tempo match well against green? With good ramp and Nissa, it feels like green can stabilize pretty well against Jeskai. Unless you are referring to Mantis playing a key role?

Firemind

Can you elaborate on this a bit please? How does Jeskai tempo match well against green? With good ramp and Nissa, it feels like green can stabilize pretty well against Jeskai. Unless you are referring to Mantis playing a key role?
I reckon mantis rider, sarkhan, burn and deflecting palm can race pretty well. Probably wraths and anger of the gods in the sideboard too.

Kacar

Narset too strong.

The land is just soo painful on that mardu deck the other guy was playing. But he made the finals so it can't be that bad.

Matriox

Man. Really glad I nabbed a cheap set of mantis before it shot up today. Looks like playsets at $20 on eBay now.

Narset in the board? I hope that goes up too, I got a set of those just because they were cheap haha.

ironmang

Had a few Mantis Riders and picked up a few more from Amazon. Should at least make good trade bait if I don't end up using a set myself.

edit: looks like they were canceled. Scumbag store :\ Not like I ordered after they went up in price either.. I placed the order pretty early yesterday and they wait until now to cancel. Definitely leaving negative feedback.

Matriox

Had a few Mantis Riders and picked up a few more from Amazon. Should at least make good trade bait if I don't end up using a set myself.

edit: looks like they were canceled. Scumbag store :\ Not like I ordered after they went up in price either.. I placed the order pretty early yesterday and they wait until now to cancel. Definitely leaving negative feedback.

That's extremely scummy... Did they raise the price since cancelled?

bigkrev

-Mildly- worried about my pre-orders- made all of them on Amazon from retailers with lots of ratings, and don't have shipping info for any of them.

My $1.10 Mantis Riders better arrive or I will ____________

Grakl

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";132015725]It only bothers me because BUG isn't a name. It's a literal description. Junk to Abzan I don't care about.[/QUOTE]
BUG sometimes has bugs though.

kirblar

Which seller?

edit: Whip of the Gods Abzan won Indy. Very dfiferent from the normal lists: http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=73342

I believe that the ruling for turning double-faced cards face down is that you can't. Both sides are faces, so it can't be put face down.

711.6. A double-faced permanent always has the status "face up" (see rule 110.6). Double-faced permanents can‘t be turned face down. If a spell or ability tries to turn a double-faced permanent face down, nothing happens.

kirblar

Just played against Jeskai- the Nyx Weavers + Whip singlehandedly win the matchup. The Weavers are important just to have the regrowth effect available.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";132033839]I'm probably gonna swap to a similar deck. Reanimator is my favorite archetype and I just need Ashen Rider in my life.[/QUOTE]
Resolute Archangel out of the board = hilarious.

Wichu

I just pulled the trigger on the rest of my G/U deck (and a couple of extra cards for some other decks). My LGS's next FNM is in two weeks - I'll be ready!

I also played at the release event earlier today. I pulled both Jeskai and Mardu Ascendancies, so I tried playing W/U/B/R again with only half as much fixing as I had at the prerelease. It didn't go well - I was colour screwed almost every game :/

At least I got myself a spiffy Sorin (and a slightly less spiffy Pearl Lake Ancient) out of it. The games where I played him when I already had a few creatures out became pretty one-sided. Interestingly, out of ~20 people at the release event, I think I saw two Surraks, two Sarkhans, and three Sorins. Fetches everywhere, too - I didn't get any myself, but the guys deckbuilding opposite and next to me got two each.

I wonder if this an appropriate place to use the "old man yells at cloud" image.

To be fair, I haven't been following KTK besides the fetch reprints, and i have no idea what colors sultai are. I don't even know the rest of the other clans. SO yes, please go back to U/W/R notation

bigkrev

Weird. If they were being consistent then they'd call the other deck Azorius Stoneblade.

Last modern GP, they were calling Jund "Rock with Red", and Ajani "Whiterock with Red"

They lost the great Affinity v Robots battle, so this is the new THING they are doing

OnPoint

Last modern GP, they were calling Jund "Rock with Red", and Ajani "Whiterock with Red"

They were? I certainly don't remember that, but I guess that's possible. The names like Jund, Naya and Bant have all been heavily used since at least Scars/Inn standard though, as that's the standard config that was in right after I came back, so I don't know that could be accurate, though.

I can see why they'd want to hide "affinity" though.

I like non-english cards because the text looks cool, but it doesn't make explaining to my girlfriend why google autoloads "korean singles" in the search bar any easier.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";132051062]I like non-english cards because the text looks cool, but it doesn't make explaining to my girlfriend why google autoloads "korean singles" in the search bar any easier.[/QUOTE]

Just alter your cards to have little circles and straight lines in the text

An-Det

Looks like Stephen Mann got a game loss (and thus match loss) in his quarterfinal match for slow play. Don't see that happen, damn.

An-Det

Wow really? Those rounds aren't timed. What happened?

Apparently he had a few slow play warnings over the course of the day, so this one was upgraded to game loss (was game 3, so match loss). Not sure who called it, I was watching the match and nothing seemed particularly slow. The miracles player looked like he would win regardless, so it seemed unnecessary at that.

Yeef

Enjoying this draft format a lot. Even the games I lose are tense and a lot of fun. Tons of interesting interactions and plays, too.

inthrall

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";132051062]I like non-english cards because the text looks cool, but it doesn't make explaining to my girlfriend why google autoloads "korean singles" in the search bar any easier.[/QUOTE]

And thats why I had to explain to my manager what a 'korean single' is, I shouldn't laugh out loud so much

alternade

Didn't watch today buy guessing it was a Gx fest going by this thread. Having watched a few games at fnm by some pro tour vets, they seem to think sultai Delve and abzan midrange are the best in the format and I'm inclined to agree.

I really hope jeskai midrange/control takes off even though the card pool is so weak for it.

kirblar

Didn't watch today buy guessing it was a Gx fest going by this thread. Having watched a few games at fnm by some pro tour vets, they seem to think sultai Delve and abzan midrange are the best in the format and I'm inclined to agree.

I really hope jeskai midrange/control takes off even though the card pool is so weak for it.
Are you in Roanoke? Those were the decks the scg crew were on.

Sultai looked really underwhelming at the opens. Abzan is just full of good cards.

JulianImp

Apparently he had a few slow play warnings over the course of the day, so this one was upgraded to game loss (was game 3, so match loss). Not sure who called it, I was watching the match and nothing seemed particularly slow. The miracles player looked like he would win regardless, so it seemed unnecessary at that.

I'll try to clear up this confusion as best as I can: Infractions and penalties aren't supposed to care about stuff such as "he was about to lose anyway", or "he got a game loss at game three, so it basically counts like a match loss". No, it wasn't a match loss (you need to manage more repeat offences after getting a GL do do that), and no, the board state doesn't account into whether we decide to hand out a game loss or not.

We mentally (or physically) check the Infraction Penalty Guidelines, check whether the player has been penalised for the same infraction previously during the event, and then apply any penalty upgrades that might be fit based on the number of times it happened before. Game states and stuff like that might help us better understand just what penalty we're actually looking at, but we aren't supposed to change penalties around because the game was about to end, or even based on our own meta-knowledge of the players (we can be more suspicious about pro players making blunders at FNMs and inquire accordingly, but that doesn't mean we can apply Professional REL standards to them at those events for example).

alternade

Are you in Roanoke? Those were the decks the scg crew were on.

Sultai looked really underwhelming at the opens. Abzan is just full of good cards.

I live in Las Vegas. We have quite a few high level grinders and pros here. Drafted KTK on friday with two pro-tours attendees. Their decks were insane and it was clear the huge divide in skill we had :(

JulianImp

Judging: where common sense leaves the room in favor of uniformity that never exists

Well yeah, it's supposed to stick to the IPG as much as posible to standardise what ends up happening to you when you make a mistake in or out of the game, but it's true that many times the call rests on the judge making the ruling, and things don't end up being uniform as a result. At least regular REL is completely different, relying on just a few basic guidelines rather than lots of categories and sub-categories with complicated details and solutions.

Kipe

I hope everyone has their copies of Stoke the Flames. It's a four to five dollar uncommon at the moment. So stupid.

Anyway I opened my second foil fetch land, Flooded Strand. I got it during a five pack per player booster draft. It still paid for the draft even though entry was thirty dollars for six packs. Weird format and even weirder prize support. My record was 1-2-1 and my last opponent's record was 2-2 and we both earned a single pack for prizes. I wasn't expecting to get anything.

y2dvd

Traded away my Sarkhan Saturday night for $30. It jumps up to $40 the next day. I really should pay attention to these events before making trades. -_-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom