• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

Brian Braun-Duin ‏@BraunDuinIt 58s

Well, I should have probably put End Hostilities or something similar in my sideboard. Just played green devotion 4 times in a row. 4-2

Which Vindicate does God's Beard prefer?

126.jpg
31.jpg
77308.jpg

Matriox

I was about to post something similar, Ive been having great luck combating Green devotion strategies with Big red splash white. Anger of the gods for tokens/agro strategies and exile for big dudes, wraths out of the board.

Firemind

I was about to post something similar, Ive been having great luck combating Green devotion strategies with Big red splash white. Anger of the gods for tokens/agro strategies and exile for big dudes, wraths out of the board.
I was thinking about something similar, but add black and go full Mardu control: wraths, anger and thoughtseizes. Crackling Doom also seems super sweet against green devotion.

Matriox

Mardu sounds pretty solid, can use Sorin with that strategy as well.

EDIT: and Utter End.

EDIT2: I was looking to keep it simple with 2 colors for consistancy for the beginning of this standard, and more mountains for chained to the rocks.

I'm playing Jeskai, I think.

I am kind of stumped for how exactly to build it, though.

Soldier of the Pantheon
Seeker of the Way
Goblin Rabblemaster

into

Jeskai Ascendency
Stoke the Flames
Triplicate Spirit

whilst utilising

Treasure Cruise
Master the Way
Narset

and solid burn spells.

I'm not 100% sure if I'm going to be running Master the Way seriously, but I am really liking the concept of running scrylands to fix draws, fixing your hand using Jeskai Ascendency, using the loot discards to fuel Treasure Cruise, all the while using essentially free convoke'd Stokes, Triplicate Spirits etc to keep the field in your favour, AND pumping up Seeker of the Way to kill off stuff that's much bigger than itself.

EDIT: Oh, and daft Narset plays where you scry to fix the draw and then then mill'n'play Master the Way and Treasure Cruise.

Matriox

Glad I found some Mantis Riders for pretty cheap, picked up a set for less than 5$ after I've been watching it, very impressed with it.

f0rk

Is this the only real takeaway from the weekend so far? Haven't been able to watch anything.

G/b devotion block deck with Doomwake Giant beats all the untuned decks playing new cards

Todd Anderson sounds legit annoyed this guy has just played token decks lol

kirblar

I KNEW it about Mantis Rider. Just didn't do anything about it. Now I'm kicking myself.
You can still buy it for 1.50 each or so. I got a set at 8 during preorders since I figured it couldn't dip below that, lol.

Harness by Force/Doomwake Giant have both been really good and you can pick up a set of both for a combined total of less than 3 bucks.

bigkrev

You can still buy it for 1.50 each or so. I got a set at 8 during preorders since I figured it couldn't dip below that, lol.

Harness by Force/Doomwake Giant have both been really good and you can pick up a set of both for a combined total of less than 3 bucks.
Paid the extra dollar for Amazon convenience, but I wouldn't be surprised if Harness was a real thing. Mike Flores was super high on it when it was spoiled

Zocano

Feel like I should pick up Mantis Rider just to trade (I assume the price will continue to rise?)

Never gonna play it but might be worth it anyway.

f0rk

Has this Jeskai Tempo deck had to deal with the G/x much? It seems like it would have trouble with too many higher toughness creatures. Only have so many Stoke the Flames.

kirblar

Good god, he had Mindswipe AND lightning strike. You attack, if he has Bile Blight, you counter it and kill him.

If he doesn't, you lightning Strike him.

Either way you win.

If you play Satkhan, you lose to a number of cards. So dumb.

Firemind

When a scrub like Tom Ross can win multiple scg invitationals, nothing can surpise me anymore.

I mean, I only played him once at a PT, but he had me dead several turns on a row, but didn't kill me for some reason. :lol

A frenchman, a canadian and a czech won three of the last four PTs. You yanks better step it up next week.

That feeling you get when your opponent bile blights their own Butchers of the Horde in response to your Elspeth minus and you just spent your whole turn to kill your own Siege Rhino.
So what beats these big dumb green decks? Fliers seem good, but they have an answer ready in Arbor Colossus
Wraths and banishing lights.

Bloodbraid hydra isn't so impressive when Nykthos taps for a single mana.

Wraths, Silence the Believers, Hornet Nest. Banishing Lights are bad because they mainboard Reclamation Sages with tons of ways to tutor them. A density of fliers backed by key removal is your best bet in general. But it's a solid deck.

Which Vindicate does God's Beard prefer?

126.jpg
31.jpg
77308.jpg

Is that a rhetorical question? One of those has my favorite character pained by my favorite MTG artist.

kirblar

It's a joke about you being right about Mono-G/Hydra.

Cannot believe that guy didn't take the Narset there, lol. What a deserved blowout.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
My deck up to this point; Temur MidRange... Something:

Creatures (27):
3x Elvish Mystic
3x Rattleclaw Mystic
3x Sylvan Caryatid
2x Genesis Hydra
3x Courser of Kruphix
3x Savage Knuckleblade
2x Polukranos, World Eater
1x Xenagos, God of Revels
2x Stormbreath Dragon
2x Surrak Dragonclaw
2x Arbor Colossus

Spells (10):
2x Temur Ascendancy
2x Temur Charm
2x Kiora, the Crashing Wave
3x Xenagos, the Reveler
2x Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker

Lands (23):
1x Mountain
1x Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
1x Shivan Reef
3x Forest
3x Yavimaya Coast
2x Wooded Foothills
4x Mana Confluence
4x Temple of Abandon
4x Frontier Bivouac

Sideboard: (WIP)
1x Bow of Nylea
2x Sagu Mauler
2x Nylea's Disciple
3x Crater's Claws
3x Anger of the Gods
4x Mistcutter Hydra

I will probably die a lot from land usage alone, but I love it.

New Version... Above. A little bit more mana-fixing. Took out Nissa entirely (</3) and replaced her with Kiora, which brings down my curve a tiny bit. I fucking love it so far.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Yeah, that's weird, especially on the stuff like Mystic which you want to see. Monsters runs a ton of 2-3-ofs, but not on the mana-fixing stuff.

Most of the monsters stuff I see runs just 4x Elvish and 4x Caryatid/Rattleclaw; by doing 3 of each, I have 9 dorks instead of 8, but I definitely see where you're coming from.

kirblar

Yup, Wingmate Roc is all over as a 3x in the midrange lists. Oops. My missed preorder woulda gotten in at $21 for 4, so losing about 5 bux + a roc to trade off. Lesson learned- misterorange gets good cards.

By the way, the GR Ramp deck I designed for my girlfriend in its current form:

Creatures(25):
  • 4x Elvish Mystic
  • 4x Sylvan Caryatid
  • 2x Generator Servant
  • 4x Courser of Kruphix
  • 4x Polukranos, World Eater
  • 4x Stormbreath Dragon
  • 3x Genesis Hydra

Planeswalkers(8):
  • 4x Xenagos the Reveler
  • 2x Nissa Worldwaker
  • 2x Chandra Pyromaster

Spells(4):
  • 4x Crater's Claws

Lands(23):
  • 4x Temple of Abandon
  • 4x Wooded Foothills
  • 1x Rugged Highlands
  • 1x Mana Confluence
  • 9x Forest
  • 4x Mountan

Edit: Forgot the Sideboard:

4x Anger of the Gods
2x Magma Spray
2x Arbor Colossus
4x Mistcutter Hydra
2x Hornet Queen
1x Tormod's Crypt
Yup, Wingmate Roc is all over as a 3x in the midrange lists. Oops. My missed preorder woulda gotten in at $21 for 4, so losing about 5 bux + a roc to trade off. Lesson learned- misterorange gets good cards.

I've got 3 as well.

kirblar

There's way too much competition at 5cc to play a full set.

Speaking of- I should probably trade off my 4th Stormbreath and 4th Brimaz, huh.

ElyrionX

How indicative is SCG of the meta? Or is it better to wait till PT to really know what's good and what's not? Only asking because I am tempted to build the Jeskai tempo decks.

kirblar

How indicative is SCG of the meta? Or is it better to wait till PT to really know what's good and what's not? Only asking because I am tempted to build the Jeskai tempo decks.
The Indy one is the expected one (32 Caryatids) - The NJ is more of a "Week 2" meta- people had more card availability and Jeskai doing well was NOT an accident because of the way the green decks work.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";131960177]Man, look at all those Elvish Mystics and Genesis Hydras. So many inneficient creatures and dead draws. Must be a bad day for deckbuilding, I guess.[/QUOTE]
BBD on twitter mentioned (to me) that they built all their decks to beat Mono-G and had gotten inbred in their testing, forgetting that the rest of the world was going to be on Mono-G since they had all the cards already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom