• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

duxstar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";133968698]I've had it in my sideboard for ascendancy the whole time lol.

Scared shitless of the deck.[/QUOTE]

Control also would get killed against a resolved one naming dig through time.

duxstar

So Dig through Time is 10 bux right now........ All 3 of mine are getting traded in tomorrow; I don't think I'd ever play a deck with them in, and I really need Hero's downfalls, and Thoughtseizes.

Firemind

Fuck yeah, Yuuya!

He looked heartbroken when he lost against Ari Lax in the draft to Zurgo and Knuckleblade. What a comeback.

Suck it, Owen.

Matriox

Fuck yeah, Yuuya!

He looked heartbroken when he lost against Ari Lax in the draft to Zurgo and Knuckleblade. What a comeback.

Suck it, Owen.

I played Owen a few years back and was my only loss of the tournament (Midwest Masters Ohio, 2009) and he was kind of a dick before we started. I overheard him when he was looking at pairings saying "Harrison, gonna fuck this kid". I know he was probably just being optimistic/joking with his friends but it wasn't what I wanted to hear playing against my first pro lol.

EDIT: Maybe dick isnt the correct term, I just felt it wasn't a very "professional" thing to say.

EDIT 2: I lied, it was Midwest Masters 2010.

Crocodile

IS known or WAS known? Everything I've heard seems to suggest that he has matured and grown as a person and is no longer the jerk he admittedly used to be in the past. Of course, all of this (both what I'm saying and what you're saying) are mostly hearsay and rumors so I'm skeptical much meaningful conversation can be had here.

Matriox

IS known or WAS known? Everything I've heard seems to suggest that he has matured and grown as a person and is no longer the jerk he admittedly used to be in the past. Of course, all of this (both what I'm saying and what you're saying) are mostly hearsay and rumors so I'm skeptical much meaningful conversation can be had here.

Right, I've gathered the impression that he has also improved and it wasn't like he was an ass to me during the games we played. Just kind of sucked from my experience lol. I thoroughly enjoyed his UB control game on camera last night though against Green Blue Midrange.

Firemind

Well, he's not as humble as Jon Finkel, LSV, William Jensen or Paul Rietzl. I can still remember how he celebrated when he won the PotY race. He looked like a total doofus, like when a player from the fighting games community is celebrating a win in a tournament. You didn't win the NBA/NFL/MLB/etc. Calm down. :lol

f0rk

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";130527077]If there are no Genesis Hydras in the top 8 of Pro Tour Khans of Tarkir I'll never post a decklist in this thread again.[/QUOTE]

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";133968698]I've had it in my sideboard for ascendancy the whole time lol.

Scared shitless of the deck.[/QUOTE]ive played it and half the time they just mulligan a bunch then lose to Thoughtseize.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
For the record I would have eaten a Genesis Hydra for real.

Mono green is what I thought it was: a deck that was only particularly amazing because the entire deck existed prior to knowing any Khans cards.

Yup. Bodied by ascendancy combo and ub control steamrolling the top remaining genesis hydra decks. Mono green was the top deck going into the tournament and just couldn't cut it.

Ari Lax is playing Elvish Mystics in the highest ranked Abzan Midrange deck and I was 100% correct about khans limited so at least I can say that to Grimace.

Goodbye, sweet declists ;c

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";133999871]Yup. Bodied by ascendancy combo steamrolling the top remaining genesis hydra decks.

Ari Lax is playing Elvish Mystics in the highest ranked Abzan Midrange deck and I was 100% correct about khans limited so at least I can say that to Grimace.

Goodbye, sweet declists ;c[/QUOTE]

nobody really cares if you uphold that bet

kirblar

Owen's learned to better manage his public image. Have played against (and beat him) multiple times, never had an issue. He's an a-hole, but I find Real Owen hilarious/honest/misunderstood. Every top player is basically going to be a dick about rules, because you have to be (unless you're Reid Duke.)

Which Abzan decklist is the best one? I'm leaning towards Ari Lax's list since it seems the most flexible, but Sigrist had a very nice standard record. What do you all think?

I definitely want to play Siege Rhino next weekend, so I'm looking for any tips you all have.

I run something really really similar to sigrist's list but didn't think about Herald of torment. I also have a couple more sources of lifegain. It's a brutally efficient deck but like all abzan, you still have a chance of your mana just locking you out. Because of my local meta, I was running doomwake giants and whip of erebos. Abzan charm is one of if not the best of the charms. Exile effects are also preferable to destroy so I run banishing light and utter end more than hero's downfall. I love that there is no right response to blocking rakshasa deathdealer. I am thinking about using him for a jund brew.

Angry Grimace

I run something really really similar to sigrist's list but didn't think about Herald of torment. I also have a couple more sources of lifegain. It's a brutally efficient deck but like all abzan, you still have a chance of your mana just locking you out. Because of my local meta, I was running doomwake giants and whip of erebos. Abzan charm is one of if not the best of the charms. Exile effects are also preferable to destroy so I run banishing light and utter end more than hero's downfall. I love that there is no right response to blocking rakshasa deathdealer. I am thinking about using him for a jund brew.

I kind of like keeping the deck black-centered and just running extra Urborg. The chance of actually drawing multiples isn't terribly high and even if you really needed a land you can float one and then replace.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";134006462]mine[/QUOTE]

I just blew a dude out playing Abzan Reanimator in an 8-man. He quit the moment I cast Utter End on his Whip :lol

Lucario

I'd like to see how the Deathdealer list plays

Same. It seems like a solid deck, and I need a place to use my Siege Rhinos. Not a fan of Abzan Midrange at all.

Definitely rooting for Jeskai Ascendancy to win the pro tour, although I think it's going to go to Watanabe's Jeskai Aggro list. Brimaz was a very smart choice.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I don't want Ascendancy to win, simply because the whinging about a non-creature based deck would be annoying as all hell. Every rotation there is some vocal crowd whining about X card that doesn't win by attacking and the calls for its banning muddles up any good conversation about new formats.

Angry Grimace

I don't want Ascendancy to win, simply because the whinging about a non-creature based deck would be annoying as all hell. Every rotation there is some vocal crowd whining about X card that doesn't win by attacking and the calls for its banning muddles up any good conversation about new formats.

Not attacking is one thing, but playing a deck that's just goldfishing isn't particularly interesting unless you're playing in a format that has Force of Will.

bigkrev

I think Ascendency will be the deck to beat at upcoming GPs/SCGs. I like Lee Shi Tian's transformative sideboard, but think his main deck is worse than the tight version CFB was playing.
Also curious how U/B holds up- it worked well because tons of people had zero answers to a Perilous Vault in their 75, but now people will have something in the SB to take them out.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Combo has been an archetype forever though. I feel the same people who get mad about that are also upset when their spells get countered and their badass creature with 5 spells stapled on gets bladed. And then they complain that Magic is just "turning guys sideways."

Sideboarding has often been treated as an afterthought in standard because of the lack of diversity among the archetypes. You basically had to prep for aggro and burn, with some variance when graveyards or artifacts mattered. Now, you have to actually prepare for something different and people are losing their minds.

Now, if Ascendancy combo was 7 of 8 of the top 8 finishers or that comes to pass in the immediate future, then maybe ban talk would be warranted. But not the second a card starts to shake up things.

Angry Grimace

Guy on MTGO takes 90 seconds to cast Jeskai charm because he wants to find the exact right combination of mana to use on my end step (he has 8 lands out, all of which are duals or trilands).

I don't follow the PT/GP/SCG scene, but any time combo is ascendant (ha ha) I feel a tiny twinge of joy. Seeing ProsBloom destroy fools early in my Magic life was a wonderful, and wonderfully formative moment.

Angry Grimace

I almost feel bad. Round 3 in the final round of an 8-man the Jeskai Burn player decides in response to Zurgo Helmsmasher's attack to target him with Stoke the flames. I am literally shouting at my computer, "NO DON'T STOKE ZURGO HE'S INVINCIBLE." I mean, it wouldn't have made a tremendous difference (I had 6 mana, another Zurgo and 2 Sarkhan in my hand), but that's kind of a feel bad.

Angry Grimace

I think the one that Ari Lax is playing is the easiest to understand and has the most "fun" cards in it.

I think the aggro version will win you a ton of games though. Its not a particularly fast aggro deck, but in this format its got a very good matchup with stuff like Jeskai burn.

Matriox

PT would be nice to watch at work.. Unfortunately it doesn't start until 3pm here and my work day is almost over by then.. Blech..

Oh well, atleast I'll get 3 hours of it in before my drive home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom