• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

I just realized this. So every clan supposedly has a pushed rare (rhino, mantis, knuckleblade, butcher). What is sultai's pushed rare? Villainous Wealth? :lol

kirblar

Kheru lich lord? Oh man sultai got robbed.
The previous block format was mono-Sultai decks, hence the non-push.

Also, all the "named mechanic" cards being mono-colored (there are no gold cards with delve, ferocious, etc.) really hurt them because everyone gets to play with the Delve cards.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Man people are super salty Ari won playing a non-Jeskai deck

An-Det

That was a fun match to watch. Nice to see Ari finally hit the top 8 and then pull that through all the way.

I only started paying attention at the top 4, but how does the format seem overall now?

OnPoint

I'm happy Ari won.

I'm happy Jeskai was put down (2nd place isn't really "put down" but it was beat at least).

I'm happy midrange is real.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
That was a fun match to watch. Nice to see Ari finally hit the top 8 and then pull that through all the way.

I only started paying attention at the top 4, but how does the format seem overall now?

Basically the same as it was before. Abzan Midrange and Jeskai Burn are the top decks, U/B control sort of viable if you're Ivan Floch.

It sounds like now stores can run any format they want for FNM - including made-up formats and cube drafts. Pretty cool.

I wonder, though.... what about proxies in cubes? In my experience, every cube I've ever played with has multiple proxies in it...

The Birds and the Bees

5oxxO8S.jpg

I tried Kirblar's version with the mainboard Doomwakes and they sucked about as much as I expected. They just don't do anything in a bunch of matchups, and I want all my creatures to get me value. They're not bad in the sideboard for mirrors I guess. I keep cutting them, though.

I'm considering cutting a Murderous Cut for a 3rd Banishing light or a Sorin but I can't decide which.

Crocodile

It sounds like now stores can run any format they want for FNM - including made-up formats and cube drafts. Pretty cool.

I wonder, though.... what about proxies in cubes? In my experience, every cube I've ever played with has multiple proxies in it...

I'm fine with proxies if you are just testing cards - unsure if they are worth the money or not - for casual fun. I'm not cool with them in the long run (if you have no intention to replace them ever) and they are UNACCEPTABLE in sanctioned events (I'm pretty sure they would straight out be illegal for FNM events anyway). Your Cube/EDH deck will still be good even if you can't afford Duals or Jaces or whatever.

Angry Grimace

I'm fine with proxies if you are just testing cards - unsure if they are worth the money or not - for casual fun. I'm not cool with them in the long run (if you have no intention to replace them ever) and they are UNACCEPTABLE in sanctioned events (I'm pretty sure they would straight out be illegal for FNM events anyway). Your Cube/EDH deck will still be good even if you can't afford Duals or Jaces or whatever.

Sanctioning alternate events is kind of a whatever move. The majority of MTG players have nowhere near enough money to buy decks for formats other than Standard.

You should just cut all the reanimation parts

Here's the thing. want to run Hornet Queen over Elspeth and Whip over Sorin. That makes Ajani a little worse because he has fewer tutor targets and he puts things I want on the bottom of my library instead of the graveyard.

I like Satyr Wayfinder better than Elvish Mystic once I have those two cards because he enables the whip and delve. He also increases the consistency of my deck by hitting land drops without losing value to Lightning Strike and Magma Jet.

Commune with the Gods and Murderous Cut take up the Abzan Charm/Hero's Downfall slots. The way I want to force card advantage with the deck is by playing more cards per turn in the early game, and reusing cards in the mid-late game. I lose a little bit of the mid-game flexibility of the stock list, but I make up for it by having a greater density of spellcasting. It's not unreasonable to cast 2-3 spells on turn three thanks to delve. We also don't lose the classic turn 3 Siege Rhino off Caryatid plan compared to the stock list, and curving out like that is just fine.

The card I think is more and more suspicious is really Nyx Weaver. The difference between 3 and 4 toughness is huge and the Weaver lives to snapcast something maybe 50% of the time thanks to the popularity of lightning strike and bile blight. That said, it's a huge card in the late game, which is a little unintuitive for a card that's ostensibly my Courser of Kruphix. Being able to chump then get back a rhino or a murderous cut is massive. I've looked through literally every card that brings things back to my hand, and Nyx Weaver is kind of a necessary evil. I do go back and forth between just sticking the Coursers back in, though.

OnPoint

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";134134226]I don't know if people really want to see my 4-color Life's Legacy deck anyway.[/QUOTE]

Does the Pope shit in the woods?

Lucario

Riverwheel aerialists is going obscenely late on MTGO, to the point that they're wheeling for me. I knew blue was underdrafted, but jeez...

Of course, my deck still isn't good, because I had to go full gimmick mode and pick up Temur Ascendancy and See the Unwritten, but still.

edit: lol, another gaffer is in the draft. Hi Exokell!

y2dvd

Going off of scg prices:
-Thoughtseize jumps to $30
-Wingmate Roc jumps up to $20
-Ashiok jumps up to $15
-Temple of Malady jumps up to $15

Basically anything Abzan had a jump.

Firemind

No siege rhino jump?

lol at thoughtseize. how could it have gotten more expensive than black summer '14? the player base must have doubled after theros fail.

bigkrev

control players learned how to hope again

I mean, sure, but Ashiok just seems awful in the U/B deck except in the Mirror, and it doesn't seem that great in the mirror either!

Also, is this the ceiling for Dig through Time? Or is it only going to get higher and buying in now isn't dumb?

The tricky part now as a speculator is figuring out what to trade for. I guess I can't go wrong on out-of-print Modern staples, but is there anything in Standard that's positioned to go up from where it currently is?

Khans cards can only go down from here because of the whole EV of a box thing. Even Dig Through Time is probably going to remain stable at about 10 for a while.

Lucario

The tricky part now as a speculator is figuring out what to trade for. I guess I can't go wrong on out-of-print Modern staples, but is there anything in Standard that's positioned to go up from where it currently is?

foil foreign dig through time
foil foreign monastery swiftspear

you should probably wait a few months to pick up both, because they're insanely hyped right now, but if you can buy foils from yahoo.jp it's a very easy investment to make.

Firemind

I mean, sure, but Ashiok just seems awful in the U/B deck except in the Mirror, and it doesn't seem that great in the mirror either!

I reckon it's great vs the abzan midrange decks. Aethersprout -> Ashiok = trollface

Here's Adrian Sullivan's U/B control list that did x-3 or better at the pro tour:

Planeswalker (5)
4 Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver
1 Liliana Vess .

Sorcery (7)
4 Despise
2 Drown in Sorrow
1 Interpret the Signs .

Instant (18)
4 Dissolve
4 Hero's Downfall
3 Bile Blight
1 Silence the Believers
2 Ætherspouts
2 Dig Through Time
2 Jace's Ingenuity .

Artifact (4)
4 Perilous Vault .

Land (26)
2 Temple of Malady
4 Temple of Deceit
4 Dismal Backwater
4 Polluted Delta
3 Radiant Fountain
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
4 Island
4 Swamp .
60 Cards

Sideboard (15)
1 Bile Blight
2 Drown in Sorrow
1 Liliana Vess
2 Thoughtseize
1 Disdainful Stroke
2 Negate
2 Pharika's Cure
2 Prognostic Sphinx
2 Cranial Archive

Firemind

Twitch chat was relentless when he topdecked Elspeth in the semis and clapped his hands spontaneously, after both boards were cleared and both players were in topdeck mode.

Some said he had no respect for his opponent by showing bad sportsmanship. Some even claimed he has Asperger's.

It had nothing to do with his deck choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom