• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matriox

I dont know near anything about fighting games other than I really liked Killer Instinct as a kid and Melee is my favorite SSB, but these fights are really close..

EDIT: Couldn't finish it so I jumped to the end, pretty silly last round there.. Ready for some top 8 though.

EDIT Technically 3: Not sure what happened with my 2nd edit but I think its lost in space. Apparently Ari Lax is playing Abzan Midrange with the UB control list :p

Matriox

Ari's smiling is a bit unnerving.

Unrelated to the match at hand, I really wish Wizards would allow FNM to be played on saturdays (SnM???). Around this time every year local stores around me lose tons of players due to friday night football. I think as it currently stands they frown upon and potentially blacklist those that try to run it on saturday?\

EDIT: LOL I thought it was on my end that we wern't hearing the sideboard walkthroughs.

Grakl

Ari's smiling is a bit unnerving.

Unrelated to the match at hand, I really wish Wizards would allow FNM to be played on saturdays (SnM???). Around this time every year local stores around me lose tons of players due to friday night football. I think as it currently stands they frown upon and potentially blacklist those that try to run it on saturday?

EDIT: LOL I thought it was on my end that we wern't hearing the sideboard walkthroughs.
Mine and Lucario's LGS just plays football on the TV during FNM lol

Matriox

It's Prog Sphinx. FNM is a branding thing to keep other games off Friday nights, I believe.

I'm guessing the problem with some stores around me isn't a normal occurance, but every year we lose about 60% of our FNM competitors due to Friday night Football and some stores struggle to get 8 people for FNM as a result of it. It would be nice for FNM to be a more flexible term as far as recording and entering sanctioned events is concerned for this reason.

kirblar

I'm guessing the problem with some stores around me isn't a normal occurance, but every year we lost about 60% of our FNM competitors due to Friday night Football and some stores struggle to get 8 people for FNM as a result of it. It would be nice for tFNM to be a more flexible term as far as recording and enteringsanctioned events is concerned for this reason.
Yeah, it's been an issue for a decade+ - they think the branding is worth it.

Matriox

Yeah, it's been an issue for a decade+ - they think the branding is worth it.

Could they keep the term FNM and encourage for most places to participate in it on fridays but loosen the restriciton on sanctioned events to be either Friday or Saturday as far as recording results is concerned or is this a more complex issue than I'm aware of?

We always have FNM on thursday. Not sure why the store owner can't decide when to schedule it in his/her own store.

I mean a lot of places do this, but the problem is it only takes a few dicks to report it as an issue to Wizards and they can blacklist them from being a sanctioned location.

EDIT: From the WPN: FNM Page --

Do I have to run FNM on Friday?

Yes, FNM events must be run on Fridays. Organizers that run FNM on a night other than Friday may lose FNM privileges.

Its all kinds of stupid.

Wichu

Saturdays would be much more convenient for sure. My LGS is open on Saturdays anyway as a general casual 'come in and play something' day, which is nice, but the lack of focus means that you don't always get what you came there for (it's pretty easy to find Commander games, but Standard is a bit harder and good luck with Modern/Legacy).

inthrall

Managed to run Abzanimator to a Top 8 finish in the local tournament, field of 60~ or so. Won a khans box for my efforts, woop! Was undefeated until I ran into UW heroic, which stomped me without a chance.

Edit:

2 Ashen Rider
4 Elvish Mystic
3 Hornet Queen
4 Satyr Wayfinder
2 Doomwake Giant
4 Siege Rhino
4 Sylvan Caryatid
3 Nyx Weaver

4 Murderous Cut
2 Whip of Erebos
4 Commune with the Gods

2 Forest
2 Plains
2 Swamp
4 Llanowar Wastes
4 Sandsteppe Citadel
4 Temple of Malady
2 Temple of Plenty
3 Windswept Heath
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

Board:
4 Hero's Downfall
4 Drown in Sorrow
2 Reclamation Sage
2 Banishing Light
2 Resolute Archangel
1 Whip of Erebos

Organiser wanted to run an event like the old nationals format (with 3 standard, 2 drafts then 3 more standard before a top 8 cut). Was a really fun weekend, wish they still hosted events like this in smaller countries like mine. Right now we get one GP every 2-3 years, its not quite the same.

Matriox

Siege Rhino + Sorin/Whip makes this matchup a nightmare for them pre-board.

Yeah haha, its kind of boring to watch really.

Managed to run Abzanimator to a Top 8 finish in the local tournament, field of 60~ or so. Won a khans box for my efforts, woop! Was undefeated until I ran into UW heroic, which stomped me without a chance.

Organiser wanted to run an event like the old nationals format (with 3 standard, 2 drafts then 3 more standard before a top 8 cut). Was a really fun weekend, wish they still hosted events like this in smaller countries like mine. Right now we get one GP every 2-3 years, its not quite the same.

Congratulations man!

kirblar

Martin Juza saying they went with 4 Hushwing Gryff in the maindeck over Rabblemaster, which I think would have made a big difference in this matchup.
I don't understand the 0 Dig Through Time decision- the card helps fuel a late game it otherwise doesn't have.

f0rk

These first 3 turns looked like Azban going off

These Courser flips are disgusting

Sucks the Deathdealer list is playing UB control, I'd like them both to advance to keep the variety up in the later rounds.

ultron87

I really figured that game was just over after that Thoughtseize->Despise start.

Also, pile shuffling after a mulligan annoys me so much.

kirblar

These first 3 turns looked like Azban going off

These Courser flips are disgusting

Sucks the Deathdealer list is playing UB control, I'd like them both to advance to keep the variety up in the later rounds.
I so want to run into the U/B control deck in tournaments. Stain the mind, take your win-con, go.

Joba62x

Neo Member
Thaigo beat me in round 3 of GP Orlando last week. Seemed like a nice guy, didn't talk much, would be neat to see him keep moving on.

Firemind

Yeah should have taken one with Thoughtseize. Two Rabblemasters go out of hand really quickly. Not even rhinos can stop it at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom