• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want planeswalkers with more static abilities. For example, you could easily have had a planeswalker with Delve or Convoke. Or Exalted. Heck, you could have a planeswalker with Morph if you really wanted....

A lot of people are expecting Ugin's card to be a colorless planeswalker with morph. That'd be cool.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";134613415]A lot of people are expecting Ugin's card to be a colorless planeswalker with morph. That'd be cool.[/QUOTE]

I would be extremely surprised if its not just +, -, -.

ultron87

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";134613415]A lot of people are expecting Ugin's card to be a colorless planeswalker with morph. That'd be cool.[/QUOTE]

I dunno if that is worth the rules weirdness. "Judge! My opponent blocked with a Morph and turned it into Ugin. Does it lose loyalty?" Or being able to attack with it, deal damage, unmorph it, and then have a tapped Planeswalker with an ability you get to use. Feels so wrong. Or Shock your morph -> Unmorph into Ugin -> Shock fizzles, even though it could damage him if it was targeting the player.

I could see him having "+0: Turn target creature face up or face down."

Ugin, Future's Hope

• +2 Deal 3 damage to target creature or player.
  • -3 Search your library for a colorless card, reveal it, and put it onto the battlefield. Then shuffle your library.
  • -9 Put a Legendary Artifact named Ugin's Voice onto the battlefield with 3 charge counters on it. It has tap, remove a charge counter from Ugin's Voice: Take an extra turn after this one.
  • Morph 6
[4]

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";134617648]Ugin, Future's Hope

• -3 Search your library for a colorless card, reveal it, and put it onto the battlefield. Then shuffle your library.
  • -9 Put a Legendary Artifact named Ugin's Voice onto the battlefield with 3 charge counters on it. It has tap, remove a charge counter from Ugin's Voice: Take an extra turn after this one.
  • Morph 6
[4][/QUOTE]

Keep dreaming. That card would literally break every format because it's just Emrakul for 7.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";134617648]Ugin, Future's Hope

• Morph 6
[4][/QUOTE]

Seriously?

Here's my attempt:

Ugin the Spirit Dragon - 6
+1: Deal 3 damage to target creature or player.
+0: Turn Ugin the Spirit Dragon face down and remove all loyalty counters from it. (It is a 2/2 creature.)
-7: Search your library for any number of cards with morph and put them onto the battlefield face down. You get an emblem with "0: Turn target face-down creature you control face-up."
Morph (5)
As you turn Ugin the Spirit Dragon face up, put five loyalty counters on it.

Angry Grimace

Here's my attempt:

Ugin the Spirit Dragon - 6
+1: Deal 3 damage to target creature or player.
+0: Turn Ugin the Spirit Dragon face down and remove all loyalty counters from it. (It is a 2/2 creature.)
-7: Search your library for any number of cards with morph and put them onto the battlefield face down. You get an emblem with "0: Turn target face-down creature you control face-up."
Morph (5)
As you turn Ugin the Spirit Dragon face up, put five loyalty counters on it.

The plus ability is completely busted. That would be like a 10 mana card. I don't think an emblem can have an activated ability either.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
There's no specific rule that says your emblem can't have an activated ability. Only that it can't tap, as it isn't a permanent.

Since Derevi's ability can be activated when it's a Commander, there's precedence for activated abilities from the Command Zone.

ElyrionX

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";134611714]
R5uScBJ.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I really want to play this guy but I don't see how he can possibly be good as a commander. And blue does not even have that many PWs to choose from.

Edit: Never mind. I looked it up and apparently there's some insane combo with it and Chain Veil and Tezzeret. I don't like infinite combos in EDH though so I'm probably going to just jam him into my Wizard tribal deck.

Matriox

I really want to play this guy but I don't see how he can possibly be good as a commander. And blue does not even have that many PWs to choose from.

Edit: Never mind. I looked it up and apparently there's some insane combo with it and Chain Veil and Tezzeret. I don't like infinite combos in EDH though so I'm probably going to just jam him into my Wizard tribal deck.

For me personally, I don't love him because he can't deal 21 commander damage without some stupid combo like Mycosynth Lattice and March of the Machines. Although my current commander doesn't ever win through combat damage (Kami of the Cresent Moon) it's nice to have that backup plan with a sword on him.

ElyrionX

For me personally, I don't love him because he can't deal 21 commander damage without some stupid combo like Mycosynth Lattice and March of the Machines. Although my current commander doesn't ever win through combat damage (Kami of the Cresent Moon) it's nice to have that backup plan with a sword on him.

That's what I thought too. Maybe I will just stick to Azami or Teferi or something.

Maledict

Rules question - am planning on playing my own deck tomorrow for the first time in years, and have built a silly simic deck because I love blue / green.

How do Master Biomancer and Strangleroot Geist interact with Evolve creatures? Does evolve check the cards printed, or does it check the cards printed stats plus the extra counters they come into play with?

Wichu

Rules question - am planning on playing my own deck tomorrow for the first time in years, and have built a silly simic deck because I love blue / green.

How do Master Biomancer and Strangleroot Geist interact with Evolve creatures? Does evolve check the cards printed, or does it check the cards printed stats plus the extra counters they come into play with?
Evolve counts any counters that were placed on a creature as it entered the battlefield (emphasis on 'as'). Counters placed afterwards won't help (if the ability says 'when' rather than 'as' it's a trigger that resolves afterwards, e.g. Briarpack Alpha).

Also I hope you're not planning to take it to Game Day, since those cards aren't Standard-legal.

EDIT: In addition, evolve requires the P/T to be higher both to trigger and to resolve - if the new creature gets shrunk in response to the evolve trigger (e.g. by Ulcerate), the evolve might be cancelled and do nothing.

Maledict

Cheers - and no, nothing serious. There's a gay geek gaming Saturday once a month I try to get to, but wanted to run with my own deck instead of borrowing someone else's for once. Decks are very casual and non-format specific.

Unfortunately the shop screwed up the order slightly so it looks like I'll only have a weird simic deck and not the shaman decki used to play from Llorwyn as well.

I'm definitely not ready to take the plunge back into proper deck building and standard. For one thing, the price of multi-colour land seems insane now and yet practically necessary to be competitive.

Wichu

Cheers - and no, nothing serious. There's a gay geek gaming Saturday once a month I try to get to, but wanted to run with my own deck instead of borrowing someone else's for once. Decks are very casual and non-format specific.

Unfortunately the shop screwed up the order slightly so it looks like I'll only have a weird simic deck and not the shaman decki used to play from Llorwyn as well.

I'm definitely not ready to take the plunge back into proper deck building and standard. For one thing, the price of multi-colour land seems insane now and yet practically necessary to be competitive.
Dual lands have always been expensive, since Wizards insists on printing them at rare for some reason. That said, the painlands (Yavimaya Coast etc) and Temples aren't too bad, and there's a lot of budget options too in trilands and lifegain lands (Swiftwater Cliffs etc). And of course you can always play mono-colour.

Maledict

I'm not sure how useful the survey will be. Their online software has been atrocious since day 1, and despite all the updates remains the most clunky, unintuitive and plain dreadful piece of gaming I've ever had to misfortune to encounter. It always boggled me that Deciper managed to make a fantastic online engine for their Lord of the Rings game and yet Wizards with all their cash continually fail.

Not that I'm bitter from downloading it last week to use to build some simple decks that I wanted to buy in real life. Not at all.

bigkrev

I'm not sure how useful the survey will be. Their online software has been atrocious since day 1, and despite all the updates remains the most clunky, unintuitive and plain dreadful piece of gaming I've ever had to misfortune to encounter. It always boggled me that Deciper managed to make a fantastic online engine for their Lord of the Rings game and yet Wizards with all their cash continually fail.

Not that I'm bitter from downloading it last week to use to build some simple decks that I wanted to buy in real life. Not at all.

LOTR CCG Online reminded me a lot of Magic Online v3, but somehow better.

Arksy

FNM #4....

1 win....1:0
1 draw 1:1
1 loss 0:2

Overall score 12/25

Top 50% woo! - worse than last week where I came 3rd out of 8th...but this is a much better sample set. I'm still losing 0:2 against people that are really good at drafting, something that I want to change. Although when I ask for advice I'm finding that I'm getting a lot of mixed advice as to what's good and what's bad.

For example:

Walls? Someone said walls suck because they don't advance your position, another said that walls are great for denying burn decks.

Barrage of boulders? Looks amazing, and two guys said it was amazing, but probably the best guy on the night reckoned it wasn't worth putting into my deck.

bigkrev

Walls? Someone said walls suck because they don't advance your position, another said that walls are great for denying burn decks.

Walls do nothing against "burn" (decks doing direct damage to you), but in both limited and constructed (a much rarer occurance), a low costed wall can do wonders for keeping you alive till the late game. Monsitary Flock and Dragon's Eve Savants are both cards I would play in most blue decks I draft, and Archer's Parapet is a card I will run in every deck that includes G/B. Stuff like Dazzeling Rampart (which costs 5) is not what you are looking for.

Barrage of boulders? Looks amazing, and two guys said it was amazing, but probably the best guy on the night reckoned it wasn't worth putting into my deck.

Not every limited deck wants a Falter effect, and if it does, it probably only wants one or 2. This card doesn't do much if you aren't getting the ferocious trigger, so there are plenty of decks I would cut it from

Firemind

Archer's Parapet is awesome in the sultai/four/five colour durdle deck. It's a wall that blocks most stuff and is a win condition. Same with Disowned Ancestor which can attack. I reached the finals with a sultai splash red deck, growing my rakshasa vizier to epic proportions, then disconnected and ran out of time against an Abzan outlast deck. :lol

Bloodfire Mentor is mostly unplayable except against the most aggressive decks.

Arksy

Walls do nothing against "burn" (decks doing direct damage to you), but in both limited and constructed (a much rarer occurance), a low costed wall can do wonders for keeping you alive till the late game. Monsitary Flock and Dragon's Eve Savants are both cards I would play in most blue decks I draft, and Archer's Parapet is a card I will run in every deck that includes G/B. Stuff like Dazzeling Rampart (which costs 5) is not what you are looking for.

Burn is direct damage? What's the type that just spawns a million 1/1s at you.

I very much enjoyed those embodiments of spring...0/3 with sac.

It seems very much dependent on the luck of the draw. I'm learning, slowly, that abilities are way better than I gave them credit for...there was a creature stalemate that I broke with act of treason to steal his big 5/5 trample, and then I counted his spell which would've forced two of my cards into my hands, and then cast blinding spray...my four prowess creatures on the board got +3/+3...I dealt 30 damage in a single turn, it was nice orchestrating that kind of combo instead of being on the receiving end of it.

Wichu

Burn is direct damage? What's the type that just spawns a million 1/1s at you.

I think you're referring to aggro. Yes, walls are good at stalling aggro decks, but if you only play walls you'll get overwhelmed eventually. You need to make use of the time they buy you.

I'm unreasonably angry about MTGO being down today. I've been looking forward to a day off that I could jam a few drafts, and MTGO chose today to shit the bed - again. Ugh. Why can't there be a better way to draft Magic online...

Yeef

For Game Day this weekend, my LGS has the promo cards as prizes but no play mat for 1st place. Is this a normal thing (like some stores don't have mats)?
No.

One of two things have happened:
  • They never received the playmat and should have contacted Wizards to recitfy the situation.
  • They received the playmat, but used it for something else (like selling online).

They playmats come in the same envelope as the promo cards, so if they have the promos and not the mats, then there might be something fishy going on.

I just looked at their twitter account and there's no ETA. What's the 'issue' exactly?

They started having widespread issues with people not being able to log in and getting randomly disconnected. They turned off event entry a couple of hours later, then kicked everybody out of the system a few hours after that. Nobody really knows what's going on, other than MODO sucks.

Angry Grimace

Guys, I don't know what to run at Game Day. On the one hand, I have a complete version of the deck that won the Pro Tour.

On the other hand, I have my Mardu Control Troll deck, but it shits the bed super hard to U/B control and can be pretty tough to win against Jessica Burn.

Wichu

Guys, I don't know what to run at Game Day. On the one hand, I have a complete version of the deck that won the Pro Tour.

On the other hand, I have my Mardu Control Troll deck, but it shits the bed super hard to U/B control and can be pretty tough to win against Jessica Burn.

Do you want to win, or do you just want to have fun?

Since I was playing something close to it anyway, I'm sleeving up a variation of Mike sigrist's abzan aggro deck for game day. I'm putting a bit more removal in there though. Also, I am underwhelmed by Herald of torment for the most part. Would replacing him with master of the feast be a bad idea?

Angry Grimace

Do you want to win, or do you just want to have fun?

Both, but Abzan Midrange is kind of a not that fun deck to play. Its kind of auto-piloty. But it does in fact wreck the shit out of the field.

Since I was playing something close to it anyway, I'm sleeving up a variation of Mike sigrist's abzan aggro deck for game day. I'm putting a bit more removal in there though. Also, I am underwhelmed by Herald of torment for the most part. Would replacing him with master of the feast be a bad idea?

Master of the Feast is garbage.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Master of the Feast is a fantastic card. I love it.

Well, when my opponent plays it. I would never play it in my deck, but it makes me all giddy when I get to draw free cards.

Angry Grimace

Master of the Feast is a fantastic card. I love it.

Well, when my opponent plays it. I would never play it in my deck, but it makes me all giddy when I get to draw free cards.

Basically this. I just wait for the card draw and then murder him as normal.

Yeah, probably brimaz then.

The fun play here would be to splash red and go butcher of the horde. I wish that card was more playable/in playable colors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom