• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

Titan's Strength is alright if you run Taylor Swiftspear in addition to Seeker of the Way. Trades with rhino and even trumps it with an additional burn spell. :lol

ElyrionX

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";134454410]...titan's strength?[/QUOTE]

I run 2 of it. It's not often a dead draw and you get a lot of value when people block your Rabble goblin tokens with stuff like Courser and Carytid, not expecting you to buff them. Now that I'm not running Seeker anymore, it feels a little less syngergistic in the deck so I'm going to have to think about it.

EDIT: Oh and when I missed a turn 3 land drop today, I even used it end-of-turn on an opponenet's creature just to be able to scry. It actually helped filter away a spell and got me a land next turn lol.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";134456600]Wasn't Brad Nelson playing Boros tokens?[/QUOTE]
IT was basically just R/W aggro + tokens. He had swiftspear iirc.

ElyrionX

I'm thinking about getting back into Magic but I'm not sure where to start. I haven't bought cards and played since somewhere around 5th Edition. Are there any current premade decks that offer a good value for starting players? How would you guys go about getting back into Magic if you weren't able to do sealed tourneys and you would mostly just be playing casually with friends?

I only started playing since July but I decided after just a week or two that I wanted to play competitive games so I built a high-tier Standard deck by buying singles.

My advice is to not buy stuff like deckbuilders toolkit and the other introductory/casual products if you already have good knowledge of the game because all you'll get are a whole bunch of low-power and unplayable cards and maybe a few powerful ones. Don't crack packs too, unless you inherently like the gambling nature of it.

If you're intend on playing casual, I'd recommend looking up the EDH/Commander format and building a deck based on the colors you like to play. It's a casual eternal format with a very small banlist so most of your old cards will be playable in it. It's really the best way for casual returning players to get back into the game.

I run 2 of it. It's not often a dead draw and you get a lot of value when people block your Rabble goblin tokens with stuff like Courser and Carytid, not expecting you to buff them. Now that I'm not running Seeker anymore, it feels a little less syngergistic in the deck so I'm going to have to think about it.

EDIT: Oh and when I missed a turn 3 land drop today, I even used it end-of-turn on an opponenet's creature just to be able to scry. It actually helped filter away a spell and got me a land next turn lol.

Upkeep titans strength to hit land is the classic.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So which deck should i pilot for standard? Im sick of draft already. People are just cutting each other.

What are you looking to do?

Win as much as possible? (Azkaban Midrange, Jessica Burn)
Win less, but play your own brew? (Just say what you want to do)
Win, but not pay very much? (Mono-Black Aggro, Sligh)
Win like 40% of the time but troll the shit out of your opponent? (Jessica Combo)

rexor0717

What are you looking to do?

Win as much as possible? (Azkaban Midrange, Jessica Burn)
Win less, but play your own brew? (Just say what you want to do)
Win, but not pay very much? (Mono-Black Aggro, Sligh)
Win like 40% of the time but troll the shit out of your opponent? (Jessica Combo)

I hope Jessica isn't autocorrect, lol.

Jhriad

If you want to build up your collection, it's a good idea to get a Deck Builder's Toolkit, which comes with a ton of lands, a collection of useful cards, and some booster packs. For pre-made sets, Duel Decks are good but won't be tournament legal in most cases. There are also intro packs for each set, and this set has an event deck, which is a bit more tournament playable.

Anyway, are you familiar with the rule changes since 5th Edition? There were two major ones, first during 6th Edition, and second during Magic Core 2010. If you stopped during 5th Edition, you probably aren't even familiar with the stack, right?

I'm vaguely familiar with the change as I did occasionally play through a bit of 6th Edition but it was VERY sparingly. Based on my understanding of the stack my friends and I always kind of played that way (the exception being interrupts). I kind of assume that my familiarity with the console games has given me some familiarity with some of the newer rules even if it's just a cursory summary. I still have my old pre-3rd to 5th Edition cards so I've got plenty of lands and whatnot. As far as the pre-made decks go I was more curious if there were any I should get because they contain cards that everyone should have and getting them that way would be considered a decent deal for someone starting fresh with the new sets (and thus not having any of the other cards in the decks as well).

I only started playing since July but I decided after just a week or two that I wanted to play competitive games so I built a high-tier Standard deck by buying singles.

My advice is to not buy stuff like deckbuilders toolkit and the other introductory/casual products if you already have good knowledge of the game because all you'll get are a whole bunch of low-power and unplayable cards and maybe a few powerful ones. Don't crack packs too, unless you inherently like the gambling nature of it.

If you're intend on playing casual, I'd recommend looking up the EDH/Commander format and building a deck based on the colors you like to play. It's a casual eternal format with a very small banlist so most of your old cards will be playable in it. It's really the best way for casual returning players to get back into the game.

Thanks! I'll have to look into those formats. I'd very much like to be able to use my old cards on occasion as well as trying my hand at formats for the new sets. Though I might buy singles that I REALLY want separately I kind of enjoy opening packs and seeing what's inside. I still have old packs from the sets that were current when I played for this reason.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'm vaguely familiar with the change as I did occasionally play through a bit of 6th Edition but it was VERY sparingly. Based on my understanding of the stack my friends and I always kind of played that way (the exception being interrupts). I kind of assume that my familiarity with the console games has given me some familiarity with some of the newer rules even if it's just a cursory summary. I still have my old pre-3rd to 5th Edition cards so I've got plenty of lands and whatnot. As far as the pre-made decks go I was more curious if there were any I should get because they contain cards that everyone should have and getting them that way would be considered a decent deal for someone starting fresh with the new sets (and thus not having any of the other cards in the decks as well).

The game is large enough that there aren't really any cards that "everyone should have" honestly, outside of like basic land, haha. There are so many formats and so many styles of deck that there's not really a baseline. If you are just looking for kitchen table magic with your friends just maybe skim the last couple of releases, see if any themes catch your eye as fun, and then buy some stuff to build around them. In that sense picking up a set of Duel Decks is a pretty decent idea

If you get into competitive play than the various deck archtypes do tend to have a set of baseline cards that everyone running that archtype plays, but at that point you should be buying singles

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Interrupts. Those were hilarious.

Especially when they did something other than countering a spell like the Elemental Blasts did.

Angry Grimace

I didn't even know "mana source" was an actual card type until a few months ago

Once they eliminated interrupts, they had to invent a new way to have mana producing effects that didn't go on the stack and couldn't be responded to.

The interesting thing was that this meant Dark Ritual was uncounterable when it had that card type. There was an issue whether Nether Void could counter Dark Ritual (an Enchant World ((another obsolete card type!)) that says all spells are countered unless you pay 3), but it couldn't since the trigger from Nether Void could not be put onto the stack.

There's a ton of obsolete stuff kicking around - Banding, Enchant World (which is actually considered the World Supertype now), the Tribal supertype, Summon spells, Mana Sources, Interrupts, etc.

Okay, creature pumping spells in red, white, and black that are auras or instants (and playable). I have titan's strength, defiant strike, a few bestows... but I'm at work and can't access a list readily. My idea is to drop a threat like rabblemaster or flamespeaker, then either grow it big with an enchantment or blow it up in combat after blocks. I like Mardu or rakdos colors for this plan.

Angry Grimace

Okay, creature pumping spells in red, white, and black that are auras or instants (and playable). I have titan's strength, defiant strike, a few bestows... but I'm at work and can't access a list readily. My idea is to drop a threat like rabblemaster or flamespeaker, then either grow it big with an enchantment or blow it up in combat after blocks. I like Mardu or rakdos colors for this plan.

You don't need to do anything to make Rabblemaster big with child. He already is, its a part of his ability.

....I'll show myself out.

Firemind

Temur Immense

T1 mystic
T2 flamespeaker
T3 taigam's scheming, attack, become immense, titan's strength, 20 damage.

Angry Grimace

Temur Immense

T1 mystic
T2 flamespeaker
T3 taigam's scheming, attack, become immense, titan's strength, 20 damage.

This play is impossible because there isn't an untapped R/G dual. Oh wait, I guess you could use Confluence.

So which deck should i pilot for standard? Im sick of draft already. People are just cutting each other.

Life's Legacy 2.0

Creatures(20)
  • 1 Blood Soaked Champion
  • 4 Highland Game
  • 4 Ashcloud Phoenix
  • 2 Horizon Chimera
  • 4 Phytotitan
  • 3 Zurgo Helmsmasher
  • 2 Sliver Hivelord

Spells(16)
  • 4 Life's Legacy
  • 2 Sultai Charm
  • 4 End Hostilities
  • 2 Utter End
  • 2 Bile Blight
  • 1 Disdainful Stroke
  • 1 Fated Retribution

Land(24)
  • 4 Nomad Outpost
  • 4 Sandsteppe Citadel
  • 4 Frontier Bivouac
  • 4 Mana Confluence
  • 4 Shivan Reef
  • 4 Yavimaya Coast

Sideboard(15):
  • 2 Tormod's Crypt
  • 3 Negate
  • 3 Thoughtseize
  • 3 Drown in Sorrow
  • 2 Bearer of the Heavens
  • 2 Rescue From the Underworld

bigkrev

Magic Board Game is a miniature based game http://www.gatheringmagic.com/alexu...thering-strategy-board-game-info-information/

mtgsg-tiles-small.jpg

Tons more pictures at the link. It takes place on Shandlar, has Nissa as the green walker, and no white walker announced yet

I'm not too familiar with board games like this, but I guess the miniatures look good, at least. I wonder if there is going to be any Hyrule Warriors-esque complaining about the number of female characters; I kind of hope the white planeswalker turns out to be a woman if there is. The article mentions that Wizards used to do Heroscape, so how was that?

kirblar

I'm not too familiar with board games like this, but I guess the miniatures look good, at least. I wonder if there is going to be any Hyrule Warriors-esque complaining about the number of female characters; I kind of hope the white planeswalker turns out to be a woman if there is. The article mentions that Wizards used to do Heroscape, so how was that?
lolwut? They keep a 3/2 ratio for a reason.

bigkrev

It's going to be Elspeth. From the pictures, it seems like each Planeswalker has "creatures" with them- Phoenix's for Chandra, Zombies for Liliana. Jace will have Illusions, Nissa will have Elves, so that leaves either Elspeth and Soldiers or Ajani and cats for the white slot. If it was just Ajani, they probably would have just said so.

kirblar

A 3/2 ratio of what? M15 has 3 women and 3 men, M14 had 3 men 2 women, M13 had 4 men 2 women, and M12 had 4 men 1 woman.

And what's the reason?
They attempt to keep a 3/2 M/F ratio in terms of overall PW characters. The game still skews more heavily towards dudes, so they put more male avatars out there. (40% is apparently greater than the actual % of female players.)

Heroscape was good (in fact, when I saw these images, my first thought was "Oh, it's MTG Heroscape!"). It's a very simple miniatures game, but it's the perfect level of complexity to act as a model for something like this.

They attempt to keep a 3/2 M/F ratio in terms of overall PW characters. The game still skews more heavily towards dudes, so they put more male avatars out there. (40% is apparently greater than the actual % of female players.)

This made me curious so I actually looked it up and did the math.

Of the 24 planeswalker characters who have been represented on cards, 16 are male, 7 are female, and Ashiok is undefined. So that's actually more like a 70-30 overall split (if you take Ashiok out of the equation).

That's also not taking into account the fact that some planeswalkers have died (Vender, Koth, and Elspeth at least; not sure if I'm forgetting any).

kirblar

This made me curious so I actually looked it up and did the math.

Of the 24 planeswalker characters who have been represented on cards, 16 are male, 7 are female, and Ashiok is undefined. So that's actually more like a 70-30 overall split (if you take Ashiok out of the equation).

That's also not taking into account the fact that some planeswalkers have died (Vender, Koth, and Elspeth at least; not sure if I'm forgetting any).
Koth's not dead. I think they mean within the blocks/core sets generally.

ultron87

I expect going forward they'll try and keep a pretty even split genderwise for new Legendary Creatures and Planeswalkers. For Khans they had 3 of Khans be female, and obviously the 3rd Set's Planeswalker is alt-reality Narset. Won't often be totally even since things in Magic so often get split into 5 thanks to the colors.

rexor0717

Do you think there could ever be a planeswalker so underwhelming that it could fit at an uncommon rarity?
Don't post Tibalt, lol

Do you think there could ever be a planeswalker so underwhelming that it could fit at an uncommon rarity?
Don't post Tibalt, lol
Thomas, the Tries-As-Hard-As-Jace-But-Is-Ultimately-Incompetent

U

+2 Draw a card, then discard three cards.
0 Each player reveals their hand, then shuffles their library.
- 4 Look at the top 5 cards of your opponent's library. Put one back and the rest into that player's graveyard. Each player draws a card.

ultron87

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";134606095]Thomas, the Tries-As-Hard-As-Jace-But-Is-Ultimately-Incompetent

U

+2 Draw a card, then discard three cards.
0 Each player reveals their hand, then shuffles their library.
- 4 Look at the top 5 cards of your opponent's library. Put one back and the rest into that player's graveyard. Each player draws a card.

1[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't that be good in Dredge?

Wait, I think we've done this before.

The Technomancer

I would hope not considering that Magic's been pretty good about gender representation for a while now, so its a bit late for anyone to start complaining

Angry Grimace

I would hope not considering that Magic's been pretty good about gender representation for a while now, so its a bit late for anyone to start complaining

Maro already mentioned that they intentionally have about 50/50 representation of the genders on cards.

The Technomancer

On the board game itself: it looks nifty to be sure, but at least based on what we've seen so far I'm worried that its going to have the same issue as other Magic related spin off products, in that its not going to capture the sheer scope of Magic. That's part of why I've been mulling over ideas for Magic games that literally use the cards themselves, and trying to construct rules around them that would allow the vast majority of cards to be compatible.

Angry Grimace

At some point they have to invent Planeswalkers that don't follow the the same three-ability model.

Angry Grimace

Yeah the vibe I've gotten is that they're being very sparing with Planeswalker design space because they want to think long term (like decades long term)

I think Garruk Relentless is the only one that follows a different model.

I want planeswalkers with more static abilities. For example, you could easily have had a planeswalker with Delve or Convoke. Or Exalted. Heck, you could have a planeswalker with Morph if you really wanted....

Angry Grimace

I want planeswalkers with more static abilities. For example, you could easily have had a planeswalker with Delve or Convoke. Or Exalted. Heck, you could have a planeswalker with Morph if you really wanted....

You could have a Planeswalker with nothing other than static abilities, really. The difference being that it could be attacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom