• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Negator

Im gonna just play my Mardu aggro deck and clench my anus when I see Jeskai lands, and jump for joy when I see green for Gameday.

Firemind

I'd play this deck on game day

4 Monastery Swiftspear
4 Battlefield Thaumaturge
4 Goblin Rabblemaster
1 Ashcloud Phoenix

4 Hordeling Ourburst

2 Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker

4 Lightning Strike
3 Howl of the Horde
4 Arc Lightning
4 Stoke the Flames
3 Icy Blast

11 Mountain
3 Island
4 Temple of Epiphany
4 Shivan Reef
1 Mana Confluence

edit: shit i want to find room for dig through time. what's better than dig through time? three times dig through time. dig all the time.

Latest Developments article about multiplayer. Basically, they acknowledge that True-Name Nemesis, Worldfire, Sylvan Primordial, and Gray Merchant of Asphodel were mistakes, and they've realized that there's no point in purposely creating commanders in standard sets when they are already making Commander sets; they will still be creating a lot of legendary creatures in standard sets, though, but this time to better tie into the story.

Also, they devoted an article to Modern Jeskai Ascendency.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Latest Developments article about multiplayer. Basically, they acknowledge that True-Name Nemesis, Worldfire, Sylvan Primordial, and Gray Merchant of Asphodel were mistakes, and they've realized that there's no point in purposely creating commanders in standard sets when they are already making Commander sets; they will still be creating a lot of legendary creatures in standard sets, though, but this time to better tie into the story.

Also, they devoted an article to Modern Jeskai Ascendency.

The mistake isn't Grey Merchant's existence, its that its too swingy in a multiplayer game because you gain like 15 life.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Playing a Temur Aggro/Tempo-y kinda deck, Master of the Feasts makes me shit my paaaaaaaaaants.

The lack of removal capable of hitting Siege Rhino is why Temur isn't a popular deck, I think. Now, Jessica doesn't have a ton of removal to kill Rhino either (although it at least has Banishing Light), but it mostly just wants to race you rather than try.

Green and White suck at jokes.

Green
marobot5401 said: Green: What's your favorite joke?

I’ll go with a classic:

Why did the chicken cross the road?

To get to the other side.

Blue
marobot5401 said: Blue: What's your favorite joke?

Descartes walks into a bar. The bartender sees that the philosopher looks a little down.

"Hey Descartes," the bartender says, "Can I offer you a free beer?"

Descartes replies, “I think not,” and disappears.

White
marobot5401 said: White: What's your favorite joke?

Knock Knock

(Who’s there?)

Atch.

(Atch who?)

God bless you.

Red
marobot5401 said: Red: What's your favorite joke?

What’s the difference between Bob Costas and an Idaho potato?

An Idaho potato is “the greater tater” while Bob Costas is just a commentator.

Black
marobot5401 said: Black: What's your favorite joke?

How do you keep an idiot in suspense?

I’ll tell you later.

Matriox

Just a heads up, previews for Commander 2014 start the week of October 27!

Not soon enough!! Well if its anything as disappointing as last years outside of true name nemesis then I might just be interested in the walkers. I'll bet the walkers are going to be the only thing worth while but I hope I'll be eating crow.

f0rk

Played Mardu midrange at FNM, it's not great. People are right about it trying to be half way between Jeskai and Abzan, and it's got a real lack of 2 drops without ruining your mana. Butcher is scary but doesn't get to attack most of the time unless you are already winning with an active Rabblemaster. Crackling Doom is a great card though. I think Mardu could easily come back after the next set it just needs 1 or 2 more cards that fit with the plan in the right colours.

Borrowing most of someones Abzan deck for Game Day instead, going to run the aggro list. I like the look of it and it seems the most fun version.

Wichu

Just a heads up, previews for Commander 2014 start the week of October 27!

GET HYPE

Not really feeling my deck for Game Day. I've removed the gimmick black splash I used last FNM (Phenax mill OP), but pulling off janky combos was a ton of fun... Maybe I'll put them back in.

If I can scavenge together three more Dig Through Time by Sunday I'll totally play Villainous Wealth ramp instead. Otherwise it'll have to wait for FNM next week.

Angry Grimace

Played Mardu midrange at FNM, it's not great. People are right about it trying to be half way between Jeskai and Abzan, and it's got a real lack of 2 drops without ruining your mana. Butcher is scary but doesn't get to attack most of the time unless you are already winning with an active Rabblemaster. Crackling Doom is a great card though. I think Mardu could easily come back after the next set it just needs 1 or 2 more cards that fit with the plan in the right colours.

Borrowing most of someones Abzan deck for Game Day instead, going to run the aggro list. I like the look of it and it seems the most fun version.

That's why I like Zurgo. He always gets a swing in unless they have Silence or Utter End (both of which require a lot of mana held open). Crackling Doom is really, really goddamn good though. Its such an awesome card that's stuck in a color combo that makes it hard to cast.

Also, shout ZURGO SMASH when you cast him

Matriox

That's why I like Zurgo. He always gets a swing in unless they have Silence or Utter End (both of which require a lot of mana held open). Crackling Doom is really, really goddamn good though. Its such an awesome card that's stuck in a color combo that makes it hard to cast.

Also, shout ZURGO SMASH when you cast him

Zurgo is also vulnerable to Bile Blight, which is every other deck at my fnms unfortunately :(

Angry Grimace

Zurgo is also vulnerable to Bile Blight, which is every other deck at my fnms unfortunately :(

Weird meta. Bile Blight is usually something I don't see in mainboards. Zurgo does in fact die all the time, but he usually gets his 7 in before he dies. I usually run 2 Elspeth, 3 Sarkhan, 3 Zurgo. You could run Stormbreath if you wanted too.

My favorite play - kill all their dudes, they cast Sorin by himself and make a Vampire, cast Crackling Doom, redirect to Sorin. Cackle maniacally.

Matriox

Weird meta. Bile Blight is usually something I don't see in mainboards. Zurgo does in fact die all the time, but he usually gets his 7 in before he dies. I usually run 2 Elspeth, 3 Sarkhan, 3 Zurgo. You could run Stormbreath if you wanted too.

My favorite play - kill all their dudes, they cast Sorin by himself and make a Vampire, cast Crackling Doom, redirect to Sorin. Cackle maniacally.

Its Jeskai and mardu tokens really. BB is pretty effective against mantis riders, Rabblemasters, and Seeker of the Way as well as mardu's token output. I couldn't go today because of work so I really don't know what today is looking like after PT.

Random thought, would this be anywhere near as powerful as Dark Confidant?

Lighter Confidant - 1B
Creature - Human Wizard
At the beginning of your upkeep, reveal the top card of your library and put that card into your hand. You gain life equal to its converted mana cost, and then you lose 5 life.
2/1

Angry Grimace

Random thought, would this be anywhere near as powerful as Dark Confidant?

Lighter Confidant - 1B
Creature - Human Wizard
At the beginning of your upkeep, reveal the top card of your library and put that card into your hand. You gain life equal to its converted mana cost, and then you lose 5 life.
2/1

It would be equally broken, probably more.

Firemind

How about Red Confidant?

RR
At the beginning of your upkeep, exile the top card of your library. You may play it this turn.
2/1

Angry Grimace

How about Red Confidant?

RR
At the beginning of your upkeep, exile the top card of your library. You may play it this turn.
2/1

Its too cheap. They already have a permanent that can do that and it costs 2RR.

How about Red Confidant?

RR
2/1

Considering that Chandra, Pyromaster sees play at her mana cost, this is probably too strong. There would definitely be damage involved. Maybe something like:

Red Confidant - RR
Creature - Human Shaman
At the beginning of your upkeep, exile the top card of your library. You may play it this turn unless each opponent has Red Confidant deal 3 damage to him or her.
2/1

Firemind

The drawback is that you can only play it during that turn. Maybe you have a better play on turn three than the exiled card. With Dark Confidant it's basically draw a card until you die.

Angry Grimace

The drawback is that you can only play it during that turn. Maybe you have a better card to drop on turn three than the exiled card. With Dark Confidant it's basically draw a card until you die.

That's not a very big drawback. The entire deck would be like Monastery Swiftspear and Lightning Bolt.

Matriox

You mean like dark confidant, snapcaster mage, tarmogoyf and stoneforge mystic?

I personally like the red confidant idea, but would prefer the red one to have a unique ability like these ones have rather than a different version of Bob.

EDIT: and I don't agree that Young Pyro is the red version.

Maledict

Dual lands have always been expensive, since Wizards insists on printing them at rare for some reason. That said, the painlands (Yavimaya Coast etc) and Temples aren't too bad, and there's a lot of budget options too in trilands and lifegain lands (Swiftwater Cliffs etc). And of course you can always play mono-colour.

A full set of pain lands would set me back £200, and those are the cheapest options for actual decent multi-colour lands. As a returning player it really seems like multi-colour land is the biggest barrier to building decent decks, and with the uncertainty around which multi-colour lands you'll actually be able to use in standard / block under the new arrangements I can see it getting even worse.

Just seems odd that such important, and yet boring, building blocks of the game are deliberately placed out of reach.

Matriox

A full set of pain lands would set me back £200, and those are the cheapest options for actual decent multi-colour lands. As a returning player it really seems like multi-colour land is the biggest barrier to building decent decks, and with the uncertainty around which multi-colour lands you'll actually be able to use in standard / block under the new arrangements I can see it getting even worse.

Just seems odd that such important, and yet boring, building blocks of the game are deliberately placed out of reach.

Yep, lands are always my first target with new sets because they are usually the most important thing you need as a 4 of in any deck. Fortunately Theros is around for standard so you could probably throw together a mono green or mono black deck if lands isn't something you want to be focusing your money on.

Negator

Young Pyromancer came close, but it was just one notch short of god tier status.

What if it made 2/1 elemental creature tokens with haste?

Matriox

Dragonfire RR
Instant
Raid - Dragonfire deals 5 damage to target creature or player.

I was more thinking:

Human Creature - 1R

2/1 When ~ ETB, deal 3 damage to target creature or player.

Giving it Haste would be bonkers but I'd imagine it would be shock if it had haste.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";134835439]Young Pyromancer is god tier.[/QUOTE]

Yep. It's a legitimate Vintage win condition. Not even Stoneforge holds that kind of power.

Yeef

Had a pretty good draft tonight. Won every round. In my prize packs I got a foil treasure cruise and a foil Jeskai Ascendency. A buddy of mine got nothing from his one prize pack; so bought a pack to open more cards, and got a foil Mire.

Also, I've noticed that fixing doesn't table nearly as much as it did the first couple of weeks. I need to prioritize it a bit higher these days.

1337Sauce

Wow holy crap guys. So I met a bunch of people at school that play videogames and magic, and since I don't really have many gamer friends at my university, I've naturally started hanging out with them a lot, despite the fact that I wasn't really into MTG before.

Basically, they got me playing, and I had just bought the Mardu intro deck as well as the deck builders toolkit to kind of introduce me to the game. This was about two weeks ago, so today I went out and bought a Khans fat pack to kind of update my deck a bit.

First time opening packs ever... got two fetchlands. AND.............................................. A FOIL SARKHAN, THE DRAGONSPEAKER. I literally shit my pants in disbelief. I don't know what to do guys. My first thought was to sell it and make a good chunk of money, but I already feel way too attached to this card. It's like a memento of my first time opening packs, and it is a pretty fucking good story to tell my friends at school on Monday LOL. As for the fetchlands, I got Polluted Delta and Bloodstained Mire. I was thinking about keeping Bloodstained Mire, and then selling PD and putting the money towards either another fatpack or maybe just a box haha.

What do you guys think? Should I sell my Sarkhan and purchase a box or what? I'm so happy right now I can't even believe this. Also, first post on the MTG thread ever!

kirblar

Sell, unfortunately- trading it into a billion fetchlands would be a good idea. It will only drop from here and it's not a good Modern/Legacy card.

edit: He's only going for 50-60 on Ebay, unfort, but if you can get like 5 fetches in trade? That'd be pretty good.

Crocodile

Wow holy crap guys. So I met a bunch of people at school that play videogames and magic, and since I don't really have many gamer friends at my university, I've naturally started hanging out with them a lot, despite the fact that I wasn't really into MTG before.

Basically, they got me playing, and I had just bought the Mardu intro deck as well as the deck builders toolkit to kind of introduce me to the game. This was about two weeks ago, so today I went out and bought a Khans fat pack to kind of update my deck a bit.

First time opening packs ever... got two fetchlands. AND.............................................. A FOIL SARKHAN, THE DRAGONSPEAKER. I literally shit my pants in disbelief. I don't know what to do guys. My first thought was to sell it and make a good chunk of money, but I already feel way too attached to this card. It's like a memento of my first time opening packs, and it is a pretty fucking good story to tell my friends at school on Monday LOL. As for the fetchlands, I got Polluted Delta and Bloodstained Mire. I was thinking about keeping Bloodstained Mire, and then selling PD and putting the money towards either another fatpack or maybe just a box haha.

What do you guys think? Should I sell my Sarkhan and purchase a box or what? I'm so happy right now I can't even believe this. Also, first post on the MTG thread ever!

And so begins the slow descent into madness.............

Welcome!

duxstar

It annoys me so much that Temur Monsters sucks, why wast your mana on a 4/4 flyer with haste on turn 5 when rabblemasters are swinging for 6 the turn after they come down (if you can't kill the first goblin).

Every card I'm excited to play just gets eaten up by the meta. 3 decks running red deck 1 drops, 1 deck running mono black aggro , 1 blue white heroic, 1 ensoul artifact aggro deck.

Turn 4 is too late to swing things and 1 anger of the gods is normally too late because they just burn you from there. Not to mention kills your ramp.

Basically my options are Abzan, Jeskai, aggro or lose, I'm at the point where it's pointless to put anger of the gods in my Sideboard because it comes in every game.

I desperately want a pro to prove me wrong and prove a good list for the deck , but every one I've tried has just been over run.

Yeef

The problem with Temur, as far as I can tell, is that there's no good life game. There's so many burn and drain effects running around that gaining life seems very important in the format right now. The only good life gain in the Temur colors at the moment is slow (Courser, Horizon Chimera); too little (Disciple of Nylea) or takes too many resources (Bow of Nylea).

Wichu

£200 seems... extreme.

First off, you don't need al the painlands - just get the ones you want for your deck.

Second, you shouldn't be paying more than £4 each even for the most expensive ones (Battlefield Forge and Shivan Reef) - if you avoid using those colour combinations, Llanowar Wastes is £3, Yavimaya Coast is £2.50, and Caves of Koilos is £2. That's about £60 for a set of each (maybe more like £70 including shipping).

Since you're using pounds, I assume you're in the UK - I've found that UK singles stores tend to be really overpriced. I always buy my singles from magiccardmarket.eu - since it's an open marketplace with minimal fees, it's the cheapest way to get singles I know of even factoring in shipping from across Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom