• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man... I just read an article about the story of the Myojin of Night's Reach, which apparently extends past the Kamigawa storyline and all the way into/past Time Spiral.

The Myojin took advantage of the planar instability of Kamigawa during the Kami war and slipped between planes, ending up in Dominaria.

It seems that after Nicol Bolas's resurrection, he sought out the Myojin to defeat her, knowing that she had some kind of connection to the Umezawas (and Tetsuo Umezawa, the descendant of Toshiro, was the one who originally defeated Nicol Bolas before he got resurrected), and he kept her porcelain mask as a souvenir.

Strange stuff. It seems that the Myojin of Night's Reach's current status is unknown.

Yeef

In my list I cut the Nyx Weavers entirely for Elvish mystics; though I'm a lot heavier on the reanimation. Lots of Jeskai and other burn lists in my meta; Weaver typically gets killed before it does anything meaningful in my experience. Even when I did get to fire it off, it seemed like it put me way behind on tempo.

In my list I cut the Nyx Weavers entirely for Elvish mystics; though I'm a lot heavier on the reanimation. Lots of Jeskai and other burn lists in my meta; Weaver typically gets killed before it does anything meaningful in my experience. Even when I did get to fire it off, it seemed like it put me way behind on tempo.
What's your list look like?

Rebuying Murderous Cuts off of Nyx Weaver's ability has been pretty huge for me. It also lets me grab the whip. And instant speed is really important since I can do it on my opponent's end step to dodge thoughtseizes. Nyx Weaver is super meh early and mid game, but insane late game. I've tried everything without being super happy. Nyx Weaver is at worst a cheap blocker, but its flexibility is pretty solid.

I suppose if I was going to cut them it'd be for Endless Obedience. I really hope that there's a reanimation spell with Delve in the next set.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";135926791]What's your list look like?

Rebuying Murderous Cuts off of Nyx Weaver's ability has been pretty huge for me. It also lets me grab the whip. And instant speed is really important since I can do it on my opponent's end step to dodge thoughtseizes. Nyx Weaver is super meh early and mid game, but insane late game. I've tried everything without being super happy. Nyx Weaver is at worst a cheap blocker, but its flexibility is pretty solid.

I suppose if I was going to cut them it'd be for Endless Obedience. I really hope that there's a reanimation spell with Delve in the next set.[/QUOTE]
I think the Khans mechanics may actually make it all the way to set 3. Notice that none of them appear on a gold card for their clan.

Yeef

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";135926791]What's your list look like?

I suppose if I was going to cut them it'd be for Endless Obedience. I really hope that there's a reanimation spell with Delve in the next set.[/QUOTE]My meta is pretty much all Jeskai, and tons of different aggro lists; one or two guys play G/b devotion.

Not being able to buy back Cut is what I miss most from losing weaver, but commune pretty much always hits a Whip or Rhino. I tested with and without the Mystics and the deck as been running so much better since I put them in. I was originally running a 2-of banishing light since commune gets them, but with my meta they didn't really seem to do much work.

4 Siege Rhino
4 Satyr Wayfinder
4 Sylvan Caryatid
3 Hornet Queen
2 Ashen Rider
1 Necropolis Fiend
3 Elvish Mystic
1 Doomwake Giant

2 Abzan Charm
3 Murderous Cut
3 Commune with the Gods
2 Rescue from the Underworld
3 Whip of Erebos
2 Endless Obedience

1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
2 Windswept Heath
2 Plains
2 Swamp
2 Forest
4 Llanowar Wastes
2 Caves of Koilos
4 Sandsteppe Citadel
2 Temple of Malady
2 Temple of Plenty

SB: 1 Reclamation Sage
SB: 1 Resolute Archangel
SB: 3 Drown in Sorrow
SB: 2 Nyx-Fleece Ram
SB: 2 Hero's Downfall
SB: 1 Utter End
SB: 1 Duneblast
SB: 1 Doomwake Giant
SB: 2 Bile Blight
SB: 1 End Hostilities

I think the Khans mechanics may actually make it all the way to set 3. Notice that none of them appear on a gold card for their clan.

Plus, there's the draft structure to consider. There's no way they're going to replace all the mechanics in Fate Reforged, but "Louie" will also be drafted with Fate Reforged. It would be really weird if "Louie" brought a completely new suite of mechanics, so that its draft would have like 10 mechanics.

How's it been performing for you at your local tournaments Yeef? It's definitely interesting. 23 lands with all the 7+ mana creatures and no coursers scares the hell out of me lol

Yeef

I think it really only works for my meta. I feel like I would fold to other Abzan decks pretty hard, but no one plays Abzan around around here. I have enough got enough lifegain and no-win situations against Jeskai and enough hate against aggro that I do well.

Courser always felt weird because it doesn't really fit anywhere on my curve. My typical curve out is a Rhino or Whip on Turn 3. If I were to put coursers in, I'd probably cut the Necropolis Fiend. I put it in after Game Day on a trial basis and haven't really been too happy with it. It's not a great reanimation target and I'd rather be delving a cut than playing it form my hand most of the time.

ElyrionX

Added 500 tix to my MTGO account and I get locked out 5 minutes later. No phone support on the weekend and no real easy way to get help within the MTGO client. Need to create a separate customer support account to send a help email to WOTC. Really fucking great.

Gonna test this when I get a chance this week:

MBD

Creatures(19):
  • 4 Brain Maggot
  • 4 Herald of Torment
  • 4 Squelching Leeches
  • 1 Erebos, God of the Dead
  • 4 Gray Merchant of Asphodel
  • 2 Doomwake Giant
Spells(14):
  • 4 Thoughtseize
  • 4 Hero's Downfall
  • 1 Murderous Cut
  • 3 Sign in Blood
  • 2 Extinguish all Hope

Enchantments
(1)
  • 1 Whip of Erebos

Planeswalkers(2):
  • 2 Liliana Vess

Land(24)
  • 24 Swamp

Sideboard(15):
  • 4 Drown in Sorrow
  • 2 Bile Blight
  • 2 Despise
  • 2 Pharika's Cure
  • 2 Empty the Pits
  • 1 Whip of Erebos
  • 1 Silence the Believers
  • 1 Erebos, God of the Dead

Matriox

Deck: Jeskai Control

Counts : 60 main / 15 sideboard

Creatures:5
4 Nyx-Fleece Ram
1 Keranos, God of Storms

Spells:29
2 Disdainful Stroke
3 Magma Jet
3 Anger of the Gods
1 Arc Lightning
3 Banishing Light
4 Dissolve
1 Chandra, Pyromaster
3 End Hostilities
2 Jace's Ingenuity
2 Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker
2 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
3 Dig Through Time

Lands:26
4 Flooded Strand
4 Island
3 Mountain
1 Mystic Monastery
2 Plains
4 Temple of Enlightenment
4 Temple of Epiphany
4 Temple of Triumph

Sideboard:15
2 Magma Spray
1 Deicide
1 Disdainful Stroke
3 Negate
2 Reprisal
1 Anger of the Gods
1 Chandra, Pyromaster
1 Burn Away
3 Stormbreath Dragon

Here's my current iteration of control I'm leaning towards, the field is ridiculously broad right now and I love it! Too much agro running around atm in my opinion so mb rams should clean up g1 pretty good. Wish I could have tested this weekend rather than worked...

ElyrionX

I've been thinking of Jeskai control as well but just how viable is it? Seems tough to survive early pressure and seems to lack late-game inevitability too.

Matriox

I've been thinking of Jeskai control as well but just how viable is it? Seems tough to survive early pressure and seems to lack late-game inevitability too.

The only time I've gotten to try it, I went 3-1 and only lost to a 4c good stuff deck. Played against a similar Jeskai Control, Abzan Reanimator, and RG devotion. The 4c deck just mashed Rhinos, Rabblemasters, and Caryatid/Courser of Kruphix as creatures, used Magma Jets for fixing, and went to town on me, but I had gotten flooded g1 and mulled to 5 g2.

EDIT: Also to note, my build at the time didn't run MB Rams and only ran 2 Anger of the Gods which I think will help tremendously against Boss Sligh/Rabble Red and Jeskai Aggro.

EDIT 2: I'm just not sure if Magma Jet/Arc Lightning or Lightning Strike is better overall, I love to Magma Jet those Rabblemasters and ramp that isn't Caryatids for the topdeck fixing, but striking Mantis Riders before combat and answering Xenagos PW might be better overall.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";135943414]I'm trying so hard not to go 4-5 colors with reanimator.[/QUOTE]

Every time I try to brew Reanimator I start out Sultai and start trying to mash Rhinos in somehow..

EDIT: Also, Tormenting Voice seems perfect.. Blech.

ElyrionX

I like the list and Anger is definitely key in the aggro matchups. I'm thinking Jeskai Charm probably has some place in the list. Buys time in early game by bouncing creatures, burns PWs and provides lifegain with Sarkhan and Elspeth tokens to stabilize lategame.

Matriox

I'm not completely sold on Jeskai Charm in a control deck. The bounce is the only one I can see being used realistically, with such a low creature count I cant see gaining very much life before turn 7 (elspeth tokens) Where I could have just prevented that damage with spot removal or countermagic preferably. The 4 damage could be nice to close out a game, but Lightning strike is close enough IMO in a close enough situation.

Just downloaded the MTGO client. I was hoping to stick to just the paper game but the convenience of being able to play from home is just too great to resist. I really need the practice and this is the best way to do it. Quick question, what's the best way to buy the singles I need? Through third party sites or through the in-game trade screen? And I assume the currency is tickets which I buy directly from the MTGO client?

I really like Cardhoarders because they have the option for mass entry a la TCG Player.

MTGO Traders is also nice. They offer a 8% discount if you pay with PayPal and use the code REDDITPAYPAL.

kirblar

I'm not completely sold on Jeskai Charm in a control deck. The bounce is the only one I can see being used realistically, with such a low creature count I cant see gaining very much life before turn 7 (elspeth tokens) Where I could have just prevented that damage with spot removal or countermagic preferably. The 4 damage could be nice to close out a game, but Lightning strike is close enough IMO in a close enough situation.
Jeskai ____ is a burn deck at it's core. That's how you're going to be finishing off your opponents in most cases.

Arksy

Is there a name for the kind of deck where you just spaz out and have a cards that give you +hp and everything with +life, lifelink and other such methods of laughing and saying "haha, I have a million hp"?

kirblar

Is there a name for the kind of deck where you just spaz out and have a cards that give you +hp and everything with +life, lifelink and other such methods of laughing and saying "haha, I have a million hp"?
Lifegain. Soul Sisters in Modern is such a deck.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

Soul Sisters! Sorta.

Look up Archangel of Thune, Soul Mender, Souls Attendant and begin to giggle.

EDIT: Getting real tired of yo shit Kirby.

Matriox

Jeskai ____ is a burn deck at it's core. That's how you're going to be finishing off your opponents in most cases.

This is just a generalization for Jeskai (by this I mean the color combination, not the clan necessarily) though which isnt necessarily true for (every**) deck named by its colors. Esper control isnt a burn deck, and when you replace black for red: for anger of the gods (a better Drown in Sorrow), Lightning Strike (Easier on mana base, but single target replacement for Bile Blight), and Sarkhan (a finisher I prefer personally over Ashiok if comparing planeswalkers) it seems like a good place to start that has a more consistant manabase. Granted I lose thoughtseize (pretty huge) and hero's downfall, but I feel like burn spells for early drops and anger for early drops - end hostilities and banishing light for late game makes Downfall seem less necessary.

EDIT **

y2dvd

That charm is amazing. All mode gets used. If a Rabblemaster produces enough tokens, the +1/+1 lifelink is amazing. The bounce spell is more than a bounce spell. The fact that the card goes back to the library means the opponent loses a complete turn. And yeah, 4 dmg to the face is 4 dmg to the face.

Matriox

That charm is amazing. All mode gets used. If a Rabblemaster produces enough tokens, the +1/+1 lifelink is amazing. The bounce spell is more than a bounce spell. The fact that the card goes back to the library means the opponent loses a complete turn. And yeah, 4 dmg to the face is 4 dmg to the face.

I'm aware that Charm is awesome haha. I just don't love it in my particular version of Jeskai Control.

kirblar

This is just a generalization for Jeskai (by this I mean the color combination, not the clan necessarily) though which isnt necessarily true for (every**) deck named by its colors. Esper control isnt a burn deck, and when you replace black for red: for anger of the gods (a better Drown in Sorrow), Lightning Strike (Easier on mana base, but single target replacement for Bile Blight), and Sarkhan (a finisher I prefer personally over Ashiok if comparing planeswalkers) it seems like a good place to start that has a more consistant manabase. Granted I lose thoughtseize (pretty huge) and hero's downfall, but I feel like burn spells for early drops and anger for early drops - end hostilities and banishing light for late game makes Downfall seem less necessary.

EDIT **
You can build a traditional control deck w/ Prog Sphinx and such, but what's the point when you have Dig for Burn right there?

Matriox

You can build a traditional control deck w/ Prog Sphinx and such, but what's the point when you have Dig for Burn right there?

I guess my point is I don't have much burn outside of 4 or so cards and adding more would lose other cards to fundamentally change what my deck is trying to do, which is control the opponents board state through a couple of burn spells and countermagic and win through with keranos triggers, elspeth or sarkhan. Sure if I draw lightning strike when my opponent has 3 or I dig for 2 when theyre below 5 I'll be burning them for the game but to get them to that point I'll have to attrition the game out.

kirblar

I guess my point is I don't have much burn outside of 4 or so cards and adding more would lose other cards to fundamentally change what my deck is trying to do, which is control the opponents board state through a couple of burn spells and countermagic and win through with keranos triggers, elspeth or sarkhan. Sure if I draw lightning strike when my opponent has 3 or I dig for 2 when theyre below 5 I'll be burning them for the game but to get them to that point I'll have to attrition the game out.
You need to post a list then, because this sounds like none of the typical lists.

Matriox

Ah, ok. Have you tested against the Mantis Rider decks? That's where I see your #1 problem lying.

Right, I've since switched my Magma Jets to Lightning Strikes for this exact reason after talking with a friend of mine. I won against the 1 opponent that played mantis riders but he sided them out with the transformational control deck, I don't think he was very familiar with the build.

EDIT: Butchered that whole post.

kirblar

Right, I've since switched my Magma Jets to Lightning Strikes for this exact reason after talking with a friend of mine. I won against the 1 opponent that played mantis riders but he sided them out with the transformational control deck, I don't think he was very familiar with the build.

EDIT: Butchered that whole post.
It's a bigger issue than that- that deck just doesn't need to tap out against you in the late game while you need to tap out for giant threats.

Matriox

It's a bigger issue than that- that deck just doesn't need to tap out against you in the late game while you need to tap out for giant threats.

A genuine problem, but I've got a pretty good amount of mainboard hate against them before game 2, which stormbreath's and more countermagic to help against that out of the board. I'm not saying its perfect at all, but G1 I feel pretty good against Jeskai Aggro with some more pressing threats (and Stormbreath is harder for them to handle without 2 burn spells) on the way G2.

I just wish I had more time to test before SCG Open in columbus in 2 weeks. I'll be throwing it through the gauntlet for sure on my days off.

EDIT: Even watching that final match of Jeskai Aggro vs UW Control that happened today makes me nervious to play it, but I think I can handle it with MB answers that normally are sided in by other control decks.

Sidenote Edit: Commander 2014 spoilers should start tomorrow.. Hoping for good stuff! So Magicspoiler says the MSRP for this years commander decks is $34.99, has that been confirmed?? Ebay has all 5 for around $140 I'm thinking of jumping all over if this is the case.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Resolving a Resolute Archangel is he most hilarious FUCK YOU in standard.

An-Det

Someone Top 8'ed the Legacy Open today with Slivers. Really happy to see a present-day version of meathooks do well, especially in a fairly diverse top-16.

Firemind

Have you guys tried out Wingmate Rocs? Seems like something Jeskai has trouble dealing with. Prognostic Sphinx is probably more reliable, but Wingmate races better if you connect and connect you can with sheep! Or Elspeth tokens. Or Hordeling Outburst! I love that card.

Eteric Rice

So, as someone looking to jump back into Magic, I was wondering what a cheap, yet fun deck would be? I know a lot of people say RDR with Goblin Rabblemaster, but I kind of want something unique that may throw people off guard at FNM.

kirblar

So, as someone looking to jump back into Magic, I was wondering what a cheap, yet fun deck would be? I know a lot of people say RDR with Goblin Rabblemaster, but I kind of want something unique that may throw people off guard at SNM.
Mono-Red. Besides Rabblemaster costs virtually nothing.

OnPoint

I hate how SCG calls Blue-Red Delver that, but Blue-Red-White Delver Jeskai now. It's inconsistent. Should be Izzet Delver.

Yeef

A genuine problem, but I've got a pretty good amount of mainboard hate against them before game 2, which stormbreath's and more countermagic to help against that out of the board. I'm not saying its perfect at all, but G1 I feel pretty good against Jeskai Aggro with some more pressing threats (and Stormbreath is harder for them to handle without 2 burn spells) on the way G2.

I just wish I had more time to test before SCG Open in columbus in 2 weeks. I'll be throwing it through the gauntlet for sure on my days off.

EDIT: Even watching that final match of Jeskai Aggro vs UW Control that happened today makes me nervious to play it, but I think I can handle it with MB answers that normally are sided in by other control decks.

Sidenote Edit: Commander 2014 spoilers should start tomorrow.. Hoping for good stuff! So Magicspoiler says the MSRP for this years commander decks is $34.99, has that been confirmed?? Ebay has all 5 for around $140 I'm thinking of jumping all over if this is the case.
It was confirmed long ago: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/announcing-magic-gathering-commander

Eh, $15 per card. lol
Commas are everything. I think what he meant was, "Mono-Red, besides Rabblemaster, costs virtually nothing."

Stoke is also relatively expensive for an uncommon, but I have a buddy who runs a monored aggro deck and it's pretty much all commons and uncommons other than rabblemaster and some fetches. It can win by turn 4 pretty consistently, too.

Eteric Rice

It was confirmed long ago: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/announcing-magic-gathering-commander

Commas are everything. I think what he meant was, "Mono-Red, besides Rabblemaster, costs virtually nothing."

Stoke is also relatively expensive for an uncommon, but I have a buddy who runs a monored aggro deck and it's pretty much all commons and uncommons other than rabblemaster and some fetches. It can win by turn 4 pretty consistently, too.

Is there a fun red deck without Rabblemaster?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom