• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.
It definitely isn't certain either and we don't need to run him out of Magic purely based on these videos, but the DCI or SCG should certainly take a look at this stuff and investigate to be sure.

They already have, actually. And they didn't find anything. It's possible they'll go back given the current shitstorm, but from what I've seen, the result is going to be the same. There's no evidence to convict him from what we've seen. We're Magic players - we should be smart enough to know that weird runs of variance happen.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't know how much worse it is. I mean, easier to get a troublesome target off of your opponents battlefield then it is to get it out of their graveyard
Not to mention Feldon gives you more opportunities to cheat shit into play than Kiki does.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's mono red and it only targets your graveyard. Not sure what tools you have to abuse this consistently.

Legacy and Vintage are big worlds and Commander is a format designed around building un-fun broken combos anyways.

ultron87

I kind of like that he is Mono-Red for Commander since it presents an interesting deckbuilding challenge if you pick him. If he was Grixis or something it'd just be too easy.

rexor0717

I want to add Feldon to my cube because he seems fun, red needs more interesting cards, and it gives me one more reason to consider throwing Training Grounds in. I've really wanted to put that card in, but its kinda a dead card most of the time. I want to get some cool activated abilities to make the card worth including/picking.

Firemind

Simultaneously the best and worst U/R KtK draft deck.

ZQmRQHw.png

Firemind

It's like the anti-GB deck. Stalling with goblin tokens until you play mahamoti djinns and draw a million cards. I have to say Goblin Slide sure did some work until I chained Dig Through Time into triple Treasure Cruise. Maybe I should board in the third Cruise. :lol

Would draft again.

Firemind

Thank you. I'm trying my best to make my namesake proud haha.

Managed to split the finals with the second list. It helped that my opponents didn't have bombs like Duneblast and Siege Rhino, which necked the first list. Still almost got there if I played more tightly (or topdecked like a pro).

The second list was so much fun to play. My opponents just didn't expect me to trade with everything, then drop mahamoti djinns and cast multiple treasure cruises/dig through time. Goblin Slide sometimes gained me 10+ life; sometimes it did nothing even with 12 spells in my deck lol. Fury of the Horde was also a kind of a hit or miss; a bit of a win-more card I suppose. Still worth it for the casual draw nine for six mana. :lol

edit: third draft of the day

I have to say, I would never ever draft a deck with two Schemings and a Goblinslide, not matter how much I love UR. But if you got it to work, more power to you.

Firemind

Scheming is actually alright in a Sultai delve deck. I've seen people play turn three Sultai Scavenger on the PT so it can't be that bad according to the pros! In my deck it was more of a way to fuel my card drawing engines, even if it cost me a card to do so, before I lagged behind in board position.

And what do you know, when you draw your bomb you're more likely to win! Bless you, broodmate bird. Siege Rhino don't matter. :lol

kirblar

Scheming is actually alright in a Sultai delve deck. I've seen people play turn three Sultai Scavenger on the PT so it can't be that bad according to the pros! In my deck it was more of a way to fuel my card drawing engines, even if it cost me a card to do so, before I lagged behind in board position.

And what do you know, when you draw your bomb you're more likely to win! Bless you, broodmate bird. Siege Rhino don't matter. :lol
Yeah, it's a ritual in a dedicated deck.

Yeah, it's a ritual in a dedicated deck.

Oh, I get that. But it's also inherent card disadvantage. I've seen streamers pump out early threats with it, then run out of gas and lose, lamenting their luck. But when that turn 3 scavenger gets Kill Shotted, they just got 2-for-1d, and I don't think that aspect of the card is given enough credit.

Personally, I don't think the threats that you can power out are generally good enough to justify it. I much prefer Scout; at least that card replaces itself.

Kacar

Went 4-0 with UW heroic at FNM.

Won in the finals with a nut draw against abzon graveyard killing him through 3 siege rhinos.

Fuck those rhinos.

It's like the anti-GB deck. Stalling with goblin tokens until you play mahamoti djinns and draw a million cards. I have to say Goblin Slide sure did some work until I chained Dig Through Time into triple Treasure Cruise. Maybe I should board in the third Cruise. :lol

Would draft again.

You don't know nothing about no anti-GB decks. UR Tempo is all about punishing people who invest too much mana in their morphs. This is what I drafted today:

Sultai Secret Plans(aka thank you for 1st-picking debilitating injury and death frenzy)

Morph-Ass Creatures(9):
  • 1x Sagu Mauler
  • 1x Kheru Spellsnatcher
  • 1x Abomination of Gudul
  • 1x Mystic of the Hidden Way
  • 1x Ruthless Ripper
  • 1x Sagu Archer
  • 1x Pine Walker
  • 1x Dragon's Eye Savants
  • 1x Sidisi's Pet

Regular Ass-Creatures(4):
  • 1x Sultai Soothsayer
  • 1x Heir of the Wilds
  • 1x Shambling Attendants
  • 1x Archer's Parapet

Enchantments(2):
  • 2x Secret Plans

Spells(8):
  • 3x Force Away
  • 2x Throttle
  • 1x Murderous Cut
  • 1x Dead Drop
  • 1x Weave Fate

Land(17):
  • 5 Black
  • 8 Green
  • 9 Blue

A clean 3-0 win losing only one game(to a hardened scales plus incremental growth plus Retribution of the Ancients insane comeback).

Firemind

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";135814201]You don't know nothing about no anti-GB decks. UR Tempo is all about punishing people who invest too much mana in their morphs.[/quote]
Have you seen the list? :lol

It has zero windscouts and mystics. Instead it has 10 mostly bad creatures, a bunch of taigam's scheming and treasure cruises. Shouldn't have played trumpet blast but oh well.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";135814201]Land(17):
  • 5 Black
  • 8 Green
  • 9 Blue
[/QUOTE]
Dat mana base.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I went 4-0 at FNM for my first time ever (have only been playing Magic for a few months). It was awesome. Went in there with a Temur Aggro list that was paired with a transformational sideboard that had burn, counters, anti-enchants, sagu maulers, and keranos.

I played 2x Blue/Black Control, a jeskai control build, and an Abzan Aggro deck, which I SBd incorrectly against, but still 2-0'd. Those were all pretty favorable match-up's, but at this point I think most are, except for Jeskai Wins and Mono-Green. I'm pretty proud and now I get to play in the champion's tournament in January. W00t.

ElyrionX

Went 1-1 against GR monsters at FNM. Mulliganed to 3 in the third game on the play. I had 7 cards 1 land, 6 cards 1 land, 5 cards no land, 4 cards no land. Kept a hand of 3 cards 1 land and still drew just 1 more land in my next 4 draws. Fuck.

Wichu

I went 2-2 at FNM again. Seems to be a thing for me.

First round I got matched against a guy who beat me last draft when I made a stupid mistake. I completely trounced him, milling him out in game 1 (Villainous Wealth for X=16 followed up by a second one for X=35) and beating him up with his own Herald of Torment game 2 (he killed it after it got him down to 1 life, then died when he couldn't block all my mana dorks). Vengeance is sweet :p

Second round I played against Mardu midrange; after the match, he showed me how his deck was made of late-game threats that win the game by themselves if unanswered. He wasn't happy when I Wealthed into about five of them at the same time.

Man, Villainous Wealth is an amazing card. Where has it been all my life?

Angry Grimace

Is 4 rounds the norm? We play 5 at our FNM.

I had to play against the judge, and he is super annoying. He says shit like "okay I cast this guy, you die now."

y2dvd

I am too much in love with 5-color drafts. When it works, it is amazing. When it doesn't...:(

I drafted 9 mana land fixers and even threw in a banner and I lost my final round just not being able to play that one color I was lacking mana for. Feels bad man.

ElyrionX

Just downloaded the MTGO client. I was hoping to stick to just the paper game but the convenience of being able to play from home is just too great to resist. I really need the practice and this is the best way to do it. Quick question, what's the best way to buy the singles I need? Through third party sites or through the in-game trade screen? And I assume the currency is tickets which I buy directly from the MTGO client?

Firemind

It's best to buy tickets in bulk from reputable online sellers. They'll meet you ingame and give you the purchased amount for less than the client offers. (Never buy packs from the ingame store.) From there on scour the trading post for good deals. For standard playable cards, I find goatbot to have one of the best buy-in and selling prices.

ElyrionX

It's best to buy tickets in bulk from reputable online sellers. They'll meet you ingame and give you the purchased amount for less than the client offers. (Never buy packs from the ingame store.) From there on scour the trading post for good deals. For standard playable cards, I find goatbot to have one of the best buy-in and selling prices.

Thanks but I am actually planning to play just Modern on MTGO for now. Standard games are relatively easy to find for me at my LGS but Modern is where I really need the practice since there will be Modern GP in my country next year.

I am looking around online and it seems that most of these online stores are selling tickets at above $1 each?

Angry Grimace

I think its: up to 8 players is 3 rounds, 9-16 is 4 rounds, 17-32 is 5 rounds.

What's the normal turnout? I go to the smaller store in my area and there's usually like 50 players in standard.

Have you seen the list? :lol

It has zero windscouts and mystics. Instead it has 10 mostly bad creatures, a bunch of taigam's scheming and treasure cruises. Shouldn't have played trumpet blast but oh well.

Yeah I get that. I just meant that the deck I drafted yesterday is a better anti-GB deck since it's literally the deck UR tempo is designed to beat.

Dat mana base.
I decided to follow the advice of the scrubs over at the Apple Orchard Pledge. So I stayed open, picked powerful cards and backed into an insane Secret Plans deck after getting passed all the UG cards.

I opened my first pack with a Jeskai Ascendancy with the full intention of forcing UR again, but the cards I was being passed were too real. I got a Sultai tri-land like 8th pick one pack.

Matriox

What's the normal turnout? I go to the smaller store in my area and there's usually like 50 players in standard.

I know in Columbus the turnout can be from 40-100 depending on where you go, but out in the rural surroundings I've been to 4 different stores, the most I've seen at FNM is around 25.

EDIT: Around this time, 2 of the 4 stores struggle to get 8 people and the other 2 max out at around 15 due to football season.

EDIT 2: Infact, the only times I've ever played 5 rounds at these local stores is during the summer.

Firemind

Thanks but I am actually planning to play just Modern on MTGO for now. Standard games are relatively easy to find for me at my LGS but Modern is where I really need the practice since there will be Modern GP in my country next year.

I am looking around online and it seems that most of these online stores are selling tickets at above $1 each?
The $1 from the client store is without tax. Not sure what your tax rate is, but mine's pretty high. Still, I usually buy it off the store since it's hassle free and most importantly scam free.

Seems like goatbots is offering tickets for $1 a piece and $0.97 for credits. Not a bad deal imo considering they have most modern staples as well at a reasonable price.

ElyrionX

The $1 from the client store is without tax. Not sure what your tax rate is, but mine's pretty high. Still, I usually buy it off the store since it's hassle free and most importantly scam free.

Seems like goatbots is offering tickets for $1 a piece and $0.97 for credits. Not a bad deal imo considering they have most modern staples as well at a reasonable price.

Oh, I'm not from the US so I don't get taxed on tickets.

I was looking through goatbots and it does seem that their prices are pretty good compared to most others I've seen. MTGO Traders seem fair as well.

ElyrionX

Yep, no tax for me. I added some tickets and tried a couple of trades. Everything seems to work out fine. Also, I changed my mind and decided to go for Standard first. If I like how it works in MTGO then I will take the Modern plunge. Probably better to keep it cheaper for now.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";135875065]Kirblar, how do you feel about some number of Rakshasa's Secrets in Abzan Reanimator? You can't target yourself which kinda sucks, though.[/QUOTE]
Which matchup are you trying to blow out? On paper is terrible- there have been formats where Mind Rot is playable, but this doesn't seem like one of them.

Which matchup are you trying to blow out? On paper is terrible- there have been formats where Mind Rot is playable, but this doesn't seem like one of them.
Jeskai post sideboard, I hate getting the whip countered then burnt out. They can hold back mana more now with the gryff and the matchup seems a lot harder than it used to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom