• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Taking Triplicate Spirits P1P1 over Dragon and Cone of Flame. Yeaaaaaaaaaaa

Taking Triplicate Spirits P1P1 over Dragon and Cone of Flame. Yeaaaaaaaaaaa

On Wed. I was allowed to draft three Triplicate Spirits, it was ridiculous. The only thing that beat me was Ensoul Artifact with Invisibility on Ornithopter/Darksteel Citadel. Even still I got him to 1 life game 3, Triplicate Spirits is crazy.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I managed to 3-0 a draft going G/W little dudes and I never even drew my Avacyn over the 3 matches. Not to mention passing a Sunblade Elf for a Jace in the second pack.

Firemind

Triplicate over Cone of Flame. Really? Huh.

I mean it's worse than Incremental Blight, but still, you must hate drafting red.

Angry Grimace

Triplicate over Cone of Flame. Really? Huh.

I mean it's worse than Incremental Blight, but still, you must hate drafting red.

It's what the guy on stream did.

The idea was that he did it because having Hoarding Dragon as the rare + Cone of Flame as the uncommon meant that if he took it, the other guy would probably take the Dragon or the Cone and he'd get shit in the next pack because the neighbor would be in red.

kirblar

WotC team definitely seems aware of the massively negative DotP15 feedback. Cutting pre-cons ended up being a terrible move because there's an audience segment who badly needs them.

Testing a new standard deck based off one of my rotation shells for a 5K I'm going to at the end of the month:

Sultai Superfriends

Instants/Sorceries(14)
  • 3 AEtherspouts
  • 4 Hero's Downfall
  • 3 Abrupt Decay
  • 4 Thoughtseize

Planeswalkers(12)
  • 3 Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver
  • 3 Kiora, the Crashing Wave
  • 3 Jace, Architect of Thought
  • 1 Liliana Vess
  • 2 Garruk, Apex Predator

Creatures(8)
  • 4 Sylvan Caryatid
  • 4 Courser of Kruphix

Land(26)
  • 1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
  • 4 Temple of Deceit
  • 4 Temple of Mystery
  • 1 Temple of Malady
  • 2 Watery Grave
  • 4 Llanowar Wastes
  • 3 Yavimaya Coast
  • 4 Swamp
  • 3 Forests

Sideboard(15)
  • 1 Golgari Charm
  • 4 Duress
  • 1 Pithing Needle
  • 2 Scuttling Doom Engine
  • 3 Nightveil Specter
  • 1 Erebos, God of the Dead
  • 3 Ultimate Price

There's been too many annoying matchups coming up for Esper lately so I want something more midrange.

The idea was that he did it because having Hoarding Dragon as the rare + Cone of Flame as the uncommon meant that if he took it, the other guy would probably take the Dragon or the Cone and he'd get shit in the next pack because the neighbor would be in red.

That's a legitimate strategy. I don't know if I can pass up cone of flame, though. I'd probably just try to cut mono red in pack 1 and risk it. Either way is defensible.

Firemind

I never understood this. It's not like M15 is deep in any colour. If you cut red hard, the dragon he got is not that great, since it's double red and not easy to splash. If none of the 4/5 people next to you are in red, well, you get to pick the best red card and your left neighbour gets the scraps. True, in the second pack, you'll get the scraps, but in a set like M15, he's probably going with two colours, thus giving you the chance to pick up more red playables. And of course, in the third pack, you're going to have the advantage again.

I'll always pick the best card p1p1. If more cards are tied in power level, I tend to go towards red/blue, but I'm biased.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";123648068]Testing a new standard deck based off one of my rotation shells for a 5K I'm going to at the end of the month:

Sultai Superfriends
[/QUOTE]
I feel like Prognostic Sphinx needs to be in this list somewhere.

Angry Grimace

I never understood this. It's not like M15 is deep in any colour. If you cut red hard, the dragon he got is not that great, since it's double red and not easy to splash. If none of the 4/5 people next to you are in red, well, you get to pick the best red card and your left neighbour gets the scraps. True, in the second pack, you'll get the scraps, but in a set like M15, he's probably going with two colours, thus giving you the chance to pick up more red playables. And of course, in the third pack, you're going to have the advantage again.

I'll always pick the best card p1p1. If more cards are tied in power level, I tend to go towards red/blue, but I'm biased.
Triplicate Spirits is very, very good, though. (I mistyped, it was a Siege Dragon).

Dude on stream just drew Hornet's Nest the turn after his opponent cast Juggernaut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S3_oYCnBak#t=30

Panel is up, some interesting flavor stuff and hints at mechanics

I posted that last page, but I suppose it was on the bottom of the page.

Anyway, I wonder if this would work as a blue combat mechanic: blocked and blocking creatures lose abilities until end of combat. So it could safely attack into deathtouch creatures and block trample creatures without damage spilling over.

Nullify (Creatures blocking and blocked by this creature lose all abilities and can't gain abilities until end of combat.)

Or if that's too weak on its own, reverse-hexproof can also be included, though it would only be relevant if it could be worded in such a way that the trigger can't be responded to.

Nullify (Creatures blocking and blocked by this creature lose all abilities, can't gain abilities, and can't be the target of spells and abilities their controllers control until end of combat.)

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Also I didn't notice this since the official announcement only had it in black, but apparently the way they've found to deal with the problem of decreasing expansion symbol design space is to open things up to two-tone

ErjBjKV.png

I'm curious what rare and uncommon will look like

Firemind

Raph Levy was on stream with it, but apparently a lot of the field is on Red today and using it
Which stream? Google is failing me at the moment. Tell me, is it mono red, boros, izzet, rakdos or gruul? On the one hand, double striking an x/2 first strike and trampling goblin rabblemaster sounds bonkers. On the other hand, I like drawing cards. Argh, decisions.

kirblar

Which stream? Google is failing me at the moment. Tell me, is it mono red, boros, izzet, rakdos or gruul? On the one hand, double striking an x/2 first strike and trampling goblin rabblemaster sounds bonkers. On the other hand, I like drawing cards. Argh, decisions.
Boros w/ Rabblemaster

Man, the benefits for pros get kinda nuts. So if LSV shows up to a Pro Tour, he gets:

Free travel and hotel
3 round bye
$3500 cash just for saying hi

Pretty nice.

Hero

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";123684761]Man, the benefits for pros get kinda nuts. So if LSV shows up to a Pro Tour, he gets:

Free travel and hotel
3 round bye
$3500 cash just for saying hi

Pretty nice.[/QUOTE]

Brian Kibler did an article last year or so about how much it costs him to be a pro and that unless he places above a certain level he loses money going.

Have things changed since then?

kirblar

Brian Kibler did an article last year or so about how much it costs him to be a pro and that unless he places above a certain level he loses money going.

Have things changed since then?
No, he still just plays G/W at every event.

You don't get byes at pro tours, just GPs.

http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=protour/playersclub/guidelines

Silver Level

Member receives two byes at all individual-format Grand Prix tournaments
Member is invited to the Pro Tour immediately following his or her promotion to Silver level after the start of a Professional Season. In the event that member already has an invitation to that Pro Tour, or chooses not to attend that Pro Tour, the invitation will be deferred to the next Pro Tour of that Professional Season, and so on. Invitations will not be deferred beyond the end of the Professional Season in which the member earned the invitation.
Member is invited to the first Pro Tour of a new Professional Points Season. In the event that member already has an invitation to that Pro Tour, or chooses not to attend that Pro Tour, the invitation will be deferred to the next Pro Tour of that Professional Season, and so on. Invitations will not be deferred beyond the current Professional Season in which the member earned the invitation.
Member is invited to his or her country's World Magic Cup Qualifiers
Member receives 10 QPs for each Magic Online Championship Series season

Gold Level

Member receives three byes at all individual-format Grand Prix tournaments
Member is invited to his or her country's World Magic Cup Qualifiers
Member receives one bye at each World Magic Cup Qualifier in his or her country
Member is invited to all Pro Tours. Players will not receive their invitations until the Thursday prior to each Pro Tour.
Member receives a $500.00 USD appearance fee whenever he or she competes in a Pro Tour
Member receives 15 QPs for each Magic Online Championship Series season

Platinum Level

Member receives three byes at all individual-format Grand Prix tournaments
Member is invited to World Magic Cup Qualifiers in his or her country
Member receives two byes at each World Magic Cup Qualifier in his or her country
Member is invited to all Pro Tours.
Member receives a $3,000.00 USD appearance fee whenever he or she competes in a Pro Tour
Member receives expenses-paid air travel ticket and hotel accommodations at all Pro Tours during the current season*
Member receives a $1,000.00 USD appearance fee if he or she competes in the World Magic Cup.
Member receives a $500.00 USD appearance fee if he or she competes in a World Magic Cup Qualifier (after January 1, 2014).
Member receives a $250.00 USD appearance fee whenever he or she competes in a Grand Prix
Member receives a complementary sleep-in special at all Grand Prix (where available)
Member receives 20 QPs for each Magic Online Championship Series season

Still, $3500 bucks for showing up is nice.

edit: what the hell is going on at the pro tour?

1xuc8s.png
23tpsm.png

edit: hell yeah obelisk of urd at the pro tour, I'm not crazy!

ElyrionX

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";123726338]I just watch the replays on the official youtube channel.

But these tournaments are great. All the pros get mindfucked into metagaming themselves to death.

3m6fiq.png
[/QUOTE]

I was watching this as well lol. I don't get why he didn't cast the Elspeth earlier though.

Any other pros playing control?

ironmang

Pretty decent, short article from Jeff Hoogland that echos my feelings about legacy and modern recently: http://themeadery.org/articles/leaving-legacy-for-a-modern-mistress

Started questioning my desire to follow or even play the format about the time I felt it was necessary to build RUG Delver as an answer to the many combo decks in my local meta. Like if you're not playing combo or force then there's no point in even showing up to legacy tournaments around here. Haven't had any thoughts like that about Modern since I started playing it.

I can't stand modern so I play bogles so I don't have to think as hard.

On the other hand, I love brainstorm. I am sad that Legacy is a perpetually dwindling format, though.

kirblar

Pretty decent, short article from Jeff Hoogland that echos my feelings about legacy and modern recently: http://themeadery.org/articles/leaving-legacy-for-a-modern-mistress

Started questioning my desire to follow or even play the format about the time I felt it was necessary to build RUG Delver as an answer to the many combo decks in my local meta. Like if you're not playing combo or force then there's no point in even showing up to legacy tournaments around here. Haven't had any thoughts like that about Modern since I started playing it.
On the other hand, sleeving up UWR Delver and just beating up randoms easily is lots of fun. :p

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";123743069]I can't stand modern so I play bogles so I don't have to think as hard.

On the other hand, I love brainstorm. I am sad that Legacy is a perpetually dwindling format, though.[/QUOTE]

I've been having a lot of fun with Faeries on MODO. But I also tend to dislike unfair decks.

I like how Neil shows up to the interview basically to be a downer and unhype the Pro Tour for the poor guy and horrify the commentators, then 6-0s limited anyway lol

Angry Grimace

Dude is fucking good at Magic. I would have just windmill slammed the Calcify.

Every PT event next year is Standard. Yeah.

kirblar

No GPs in my country. /sadface

GPs in Manille, Shanghai, Hong Kong and Beijing are ace tho.

LOL at no Modern PTs.
All the Modern GPs are backloaded on the second half of the year.
There's a gap between April and August.

It's happening.

I think the Modern PT really got cut for reasons of accessibility. 200 dollar Goyf is an issue.

Lucario

Modern PTs don't generate hype for new sets. Wouldn't be surprised at all if pack sales and tournament attendance spike when new decks are shown at standard Pro Tours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom