• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

Tom LaPille just posted the dumbest logic ever as to why Modern shouldn't be a PT format on Twitter.

F'n clueless. The last Modern PT showed that the format was healthy.

Lucario

Tom LaPille just posted the dumbest logic ever as to why Modern shouldn't be a PT format on Twitter.

Are there any formats with more deck diversity than Modern, as far as pro tour top 8s go? I remember one year where there were 13 different decks in the top 16. I have no idea how people still think Modern is an unhealthy format.

f0rk

Two UK GPs is good news for me at least.

The promo is cool as well
sjdhfuhsdgf_001prmen.jpg

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Part of the reason people are going to be upset about all Standard PT's is the fact that we just ran through a very, very stock Standard period in which the new sets failed to change the format much, if at all. Block Constructed was dumb, anyways, though, so that's not really a loss to me.

bigkrev

Nothing wrong with ditching block constructed. It's a PT and MTGO only format.

They probably should have made the summer PT the Modern one. It's a lame duck Standard format (most people are selling their cards now, now buying in and playing).

It's infuriating. I can imagine all sorts of reasons why you would go to Standard-only Pro Tours, but LaPille's argument doesn't hold water. I mean, I get that he can't just come out and tell the truth: "We fucked up with managing card availability for this format, Tarmogoyf and the fetchlands are too expensive, and we don't want Johnny Nobody who just qualified for his first PT to have to spend a grand on a deck just to get ass-kicked by pros." It's similar to the logic for why there aren't any Legacy PTs and why there are very few Legacy GPs.

I get why you cut Block. I can't imagine that it was very popular. However, what I loved about Block, was that it tested players on a different axis than other formats. Much like "Small Standard," Block asked players to "solve" a new format, which I really liked.

The other possibility is just that they're going to Standard-only because then the Pro Tour is always featuring cards from the set they just printed, and they get to help use it as a vehicle to keep pushing sales.

Also, we now understand why Modern isn't a PTQ format anymore. I guess Modern is going to slowly die if SCG doesn't ramp up their support for it. I wonder what those guys are thinking. "Modern just got to the point where we feel comfortable running tournaments for it....and WotC just pulled the rug out from underneath it..."

Official, uncontested final say in Magic Fun Rankings:

1. Draft
  2. Legacy
  3. Standard
  4. Looking at trade binders
  5. Commander
  6. Modern
  7. Vintage
  8. Pack Wars
  9. Watching the Hierarchs you sold last month double in price
  10. Sealed

Firemind

Just 4-0'd a Standard daily event.

THE RABBLE HYPE IS REAL.

Played the mono red version, since boros is just clunky sometimes. Stoke The Flames is amazing. Double Rabblemaster t3 and t4 is even more amazing. Makes Foundry Street Denizen 5/1. :lol

kirblar

lol, wow, my extra set of Rabblemasters is going to make me some money.

I 'fd up and forgot to set the BiN price for em, this is me falling backwards into it. Plus I get the +10 Ebay Bux.

red13th

Wait is Tom LaPille back at Magic? Wasn't he demoted to D&D or some shit? I don't mean the guy should be out of a job but for God's sake keep him away from Magic, preferably some place where he will bring harm to less people. Jesus.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Wait is Tom LaPille back at Magic? Wasn't he demoted to D&D or some shit? I don't mean the guy should be out of a job but for God's sake keep him away from Magic, preferably some place where he will bring harm to less people. Jesus.

What's people's beef with LaPille? Honestly curious, I'm clueless

lol, wow, my extra set of Rabblemasters is going to make me some money.

I 'fd up and forgot to set the BiN price for em, this is me falling backwards into it. Plus I get the +10 Ebay Bux.

Yeah, they're just in with my crap rares, I got a couple randomly in my prize packs from a modern tournament.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";123779456]Official, uncontested final say in Magic Fun Rankings:

1. Draft
  2. Legacy
  3. Standard
  4. Looking at trade binders
  5. Commander
  6. Modern
  7. Vintage
  8. Pack Wars
  9. Watching the Hierarchs you sold last month double in price
  10. Sealed
[/QUOTE]

Someone who doesn't play Modern or Vintage.

kirblar

2012, Dark Ascension and Born of the Gods? BOTG wasn't great but I think that was more of a design issue. People have a problem with Dark Ascension?
Dark Ascension royally screwed up limited to the point MTGO offers Innx3 when they run the format in retro weeks. LaPille's sets are paint-by-numbers and don't surprised you- he does the most blatantly obvious thing every time.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Dark Ascension royally screwed up limited to the point MTGO offers Innx3 when they run the format in retro weeks. LaPille's sets are paint-by-numbers and don't surprised you- he does the most blatantly obvious thing every time.

Huh, didn't know that. I'm super curious though, how did it fuck up Limited?

bigkrev

They really, really are that bad.

I remember when they announced PWP, they flew guys like Trick Jarrett and LSV out a week beforehand to explain it them, so they could write articles the day of the announcement to sell it/quell fears. Granted, PWP ended up being a disaster, but at least they tried to quell concern day 1. When the 2 largest GPs of all time were Modern related, you don't think that people are going to care that you are killing the format?

ElyrionX

I just bought into Modern wtf. Paid out of my ass for Cryptic, Clique, Kiki, Twin, Snappy and a couple others. Thank god I held back on the fetches.

bigkrev

I just bought into Modern wtf. Paid out of my ass for Cryptic, Clique, Kiki, Twin, Snappy and a couple others. Thank god I held back on the fetches.

They undid most of the changes with PWP 1 year later. I'd be shocked if we don't have a Modern PT in 2016, probably in the core set slot.

Anybody got a horse in the race?

$20 says Yuuki places higher than your favorite player in the top 8.

As long as he doesn't play Floch he's gonna win it.

ironmang

They undid most of the changes with PWP 1 year later. I'd be shocked if we don't have a Modern PT in 2016, probably in the core set slot.

I'm thinking there's a chance they change one of the 2015 PTs to Modern if there's enough outcry. Just seems silly to go all in on Standard for an entire year after a whole year of boring Standard.

f0rk

Also, we now understand why Modern isn't a PTQ format anymore. I guess Modern is going to slowly die if SCG doesn't ramp up their support for it. I wonder what those guys are thinking. "Modern just got to the point where we feel comfortable running tournaments for it....and WotC just pulled the rug out from underneath it..."
They haven't actually said anything about PTQ formats yet have they?
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";123778655]Probably because Modern isn't very fun. And you guys thought I was crazy.[/QUOTE]
You play Boggles

I agree that there must be some chance they go back on this and do a Modern PT. I can't see a reason it's locked already.

Firemind

Good that Dezani is the bubble boy. Now it's a bit under the radar. Still don't know what's in his sideboard though. :lol

My tentative sideboard:
4 chandra's phoenix (b/x midrange, u/w/x control, boros burn)
4 skullcrack (b/x midrange, u/w/x control)
2 chandra, pyromaster (usually sideboard in when I'm on the draw)
1 mountain (should probably be a 4th mutavault)
2 magma spray (g/w/x aggro, jund monsters, boros burn, mirror)
2 searing blood (same as above)

I have no sideboard plan against blue devotion. :lol Still won a match because of Rabblemaster, Red's Thassa.

They haven't actually said anything about PTQ formats yet have they?

I believe the new regional PTQs may be Modern sometimes, but the new PPTQs will be whatever sanctionable format the TO wants to run them in.

Which means they'll basically only ever be Standard or Limited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom