• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

inthrall

Not sure what the issue with this deck is, its just a deck playing high-value low-CMC cards that has some relation to affinity.

Has the upsides of not dying as bad to creeping corrosion, not being a mainstream deck (until now), and thoughtsieze. Also, I suspect Goyf improves a few matchups where creature size matters

EDIT: Goyf doesn't make all decks better, it would be bad in twin/melira/uw control for example

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Goyf isn't anywhere close to the problem that Jace was.

The standard for banning a card isn't "Jace, the Mind Sculptor," though. Goyf makes every deck better.

Not sure what the issue with this deck is, its just a deck playing high-value low-CMC cards that has some relation to affinity.

Has the upsides of not dying as bad to creeping corrosion, not being a mainstream deck (until now), and thoughtsieze. Also, I suspect Goyf improves a few matchups where creature size matters

EDIT: Goyf doesn't make all decks better, it would be bad in twin/melira/uw control for example

Tarmotwin is a deck with results.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
What? No, its tomorrow. Week after that is Khans Previews, week 1, following the PAX reveal over the weekend.

Don't hype yourself up, guys. It can't be anything that amazing.

kirblar

Lol

Is the common consensus that its a change to standard starting with khans?
There's no consensus, but given that MM2 is almost certainly coming out in May, the announcement here would make sense. He's not the right person to talk about a standard change.

There's no consensus, but given that MM2 is almost certainly coming out in May, the announcement here would make sense. He's not the right person to talk about a standard change.

And again, he's also not the right person to talk about Modern Masters 2, especially since he almost surely did not work on it. What would he in particular have to say about it that couldn't said in an Arcana announcing it? Unless Modern Masters 2 has new cards in it, which seems to largely defeat the purpose.

The way I see it, it's probably one of these:
1. Return of Magic Invitationals. He's the biggest supporter of them at Wizards, to the point where people at Wizards jokingly say that the Invitationals are actually just Mark holding a big party for his friends, and he even did an entire podcast about them. He has often talked about how he'd really like to bring them back.

2. Details about the Magic movie. He's talked about how he's really excited about how the movie is going on Blogatog, and he's part of the advising team for the movie.

3. You Make the Card becoming a consistent thing every year or two.

4. Some new product that he was actually on the design team for.

"Changes to evergreen mechanics" became a bit less likely after he stated that he won't hype up something that would make a lot of people upset (though he points out that all Magic news makes some people upset), and I'm sure a fair amount of people would be upset if protection was replaced, though I'm 100% behind them doing that. In any case, this isn't something that would be considered super exciting.

ultron87

If it wasn't for those three mystery GPs I would've been pretty confident about it being the announcement of Khans as a 4-set block.

bigkrev

Maybe the announcement is that they are going back to v3 of MTGO and the old version of the Website? That would actually be pretty exciting.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
If it wasn't for those three mystery GPs I would've been pretty confident about it being the announcement of Khans as a 4-block set.

A return to the alternate year core sets, or even moving the core set to a supplemental position so they could do more experimental stuff again would be...interesting

Angry Grimace

I've been running the most hilarious goodstuff.dec Naya deck on modo. Its just every expensive mythic I happen to own stuffed in a deck regardless of whether it makes any goddamn sense
KuGsj.gif

kirblar

That's never going to be a viable option for them. They've avoided a price increase for a long time because they don't want to bust the 3.99 barrier.

bigkrev

That's never going to be a viable option for them. They've avoided a price increase for a long time because they don't want to bust the 3.99 barrier.

You can price the packs at 2.99 and make the same amount of money, or go with 3.49, and "increased" the cost of drafting while making packs cheaper

Hero

If you did 11 card boosters without a basic land, or 12 card boosters with a basic land, it should work. (44 card draft pool vs the current 42 card draft pool).

You can price the packs at 2.99 and make the same amount of money, or go with 3.49, and "increased" the cost of drafting while making packs cheaper

You are talking about them upending their entire business model for a 4 block model which has not worked when they tried it once before. What is the incentive for them to do this, especially when the Core Sets are the premier way of getting people to jump into the game?

bigkrev

You are talking about them upending their entire business model for a 4 block model which has not worked when they tried it once before. What is the incentive for them to do this, especially when the Core Sets are the premier way of getting people to jump into the game?

I don't think the 4 set block failed because it was a 4 set block, it failed because Time Spiral, Lorwyn and Shadowmoore are 3 of the most complex blocks they have ever done, which drove away more casual players. I think the art style of Lorwyn didn't help either.

They are already doing 5 draftable sets a year (3 set block, core set, and a special set like Conspiracy or Modern Masters). They have done the Core set for 6 years now, so it wouldn't be a surprise to me if they changed that as well.

bigkrev

You could also just go 11 cards at 3.99- that's what pretty much every other CCG on the market is.

Assuming the distribution is 1 Rare/Mythic- 3 Uncommon- 7 Common, it doesn't actually alter the secondary market in any way except maybe make commons a bit more valuable.

Hero

I don't think the 4 set block failed because it was a 4 set block, it failed because Time Spiral, Lorwyn and Shadowmoore are 3 of the most complex blocks they have ever done, which drove away more casual players. I think the art style of Lorwyn didn't help either.

They are already doing 5 draftable sets a year (3 set block, core set, and a special set like Conspiracy or Modern Masters). They have done the Core set for 6 years now, so it wouldn't be a surprise to me if they changed that as well.

You still haven't answered the question as to why they should pursue this other than 'because.' The Core set is extremely important in addition to Duel of the Planeswalkers for getting new blood into the game. What exactly is to be gained by doing an additional set in a block? Theros block showed that their mechanics weren't interesting to even flesh out three sets. Zendikar and Innistrad block had their third sets completely detached from the mechanics of the first two sets.

bigkrev

You still haven't answered the question as to why they should pursue this other than 'because.' The Core set is extremely important in addition to Duel of the Planeswalkers for getting new blood into the game. What exactly is to be gained by doing an additional set in a block? Theros block showed that their mechanics weren't interesting to even flesh out three sets. Zendikar and Innistrad block had their third sets completely detached from the mechanics of the first two sets.

Do we have numbers on how well DoTP has done the past 2 years? I thought it was very interesting that DoTP skipped Sony platforms this year, and it got a very tepid response this time around. I wouldn't be surprised if their are diminsihing returns on the project at this point- I know that I didn't even bother to download the demo after I saw what they did to it.

I'm still an advocate that they should only be doing a core set every other year , especially if they are thinking of going to a fixed number of sets rotation to standard (because otherwise, it leads to the need for reprinting the same cards year after year, because while having 'redunant' cards like Arbor Elf and Elvish Mystic legal at the same time for a few months is fine, it really isn't if they are going to coexist for a year together). Alternating 4 set blocks and 3 set blocks with a core set would work.

kirblar

I 0-3'd , after getting there late and eating the first round loss.

On the plus side, I'm pretty sure I'm allergic to eggs. Doc call n morning, lol.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I thought you guys were talking about the modern deck for a moment.

Crocodile

Maro's Twitter: "Before I turn in for the night, I want to remind everyone to take a look at my column tomorrow at 8 am PST. It's literally a 'game changer'."

1387252281818.gif

Hell if I know what's happening though but I wouldn't call MM2 a "game changer". Maybe a new MTG video game? A big rebranding?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
A literal game changer would be a new ruling!

Legend rule was the first thing that came to mind.

kirblar

Yeah, I went from not hungry/in pain/feeling ugh the whole day to having energy and being super hungry.

No more eggs until I get an allergy appt, lol.

Angry Grimace

A literal game changer would be a new ruling!

Legend rule was the first thing that came to mind.

If it were a rules change they'd have done it with the core set like every other rules change they've done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom