• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";126493370]What sleeves do you guys use?

I've tried Ultra Pro and loved them. I've tried Dragon Shield and hated them.

But I just got the Ultra Pro PRO MATTEs and I'm never looking back. I'm doubling them up with the KMCs and they're just the best feeling sleeves I've ever used.[/QUOTE]
I love the Pro Mattes. They're super-easy to find/replace.

bigkrev

But I just got the Ultra Pro PRO MATTEs and I'm never looking back. I'm doubling them up with the KMCs and they're just the best feeling sleeves I've ever used.[/QUOTE]

I use Dragon Shields. I find that Ultra Pros break way too quickly, and that if I can get through a 3 round draft with Pro Mattes before they break, I consider it an upset. Dragon Shields grime up quicker than most, but are basically indestructible otherwise.

Okay. The press release was just worded oddly. The mournful tone made it sound like the game was straight up ending.

Well, my understanding is that this does, indeed, end Wizards' involvement with the game, though, and it will just be done by Takara Tomy. I'm probably misunderstanding who actually does the development, but Wikipedia isn't of much help in this case.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Well, my understanding is that this does, indeed, end Wizards' involvement with the game, though, and it will just be done by Takara Tomy. I'm probably misunderstanding who actually does the development, but Wikipedia isn't of much help in this case.

Yeah Mark's anecdote about the design of Kaijudo's flip cards leading to Innistrad's flip cards had me thinking that the development was in-house at Wizards

Weird

Big One

Banned
I have a question about Vintage format since it somewhat interests me cause my YGO background due to being the format that's most similar to YGO in which it's an eternal format with a rather decent sized banlist. Legacy is similar but bans the money cards.

How does one outright get the things like Black Lotus and the gems? Do people actually spend thousands of dollars on each to obtain a copy? Do they pull them from packs? Are these players who have been collecting MTG cards since day 1?

It seems silly how a featured format exists that the majority of the playbase cannot afford to play. I mean there's always online games for it but seems shortsighted in design especially since the prospect of actively supporting an eternal format could be beneficial to players of all walks.

I get that Modern is kind of the new eternal format for newer players who want to make an investment...but regardless, I dunno. I jus the idea that only a select few players have access to certain formats is something I dislike a lot.

I use Dragon Shields. I find that Ultra Pros break way too quickly, and that if I can get through a 3 round draft with Pro Mattes before they break, I consider it an upset. Dragon Shields grime up quicker than most, but are basically indestructible otherwise.

That's been my experience. I have my Cube/EDH sleeved up in Dragon Shields because I want something sturdy, but Dragon Shields just don't "feel" as good as Ultra Pro Matte, and they do get smudged really easily.

ultron87

I have a question about Vintage format since it somewhat interests me cause my YGO background due to being the format that's most similar to YGO in which it's an eternal format with a rather decent sized banlist. Legacy is similar but bans the money cards.

How does one outright get the things like Black Lotus and the gems? Do people actually spend thousands of dollars on each to obtain a copy? Do they pull them from packs? Are these players who have been collecting MTG cards since day 1?

It seems silly how a featured format exists that the majority of the playbase cannot afford to play. I mean there's always online games for it but seems shortsighted in design especially since the prospect of actively supporting an eternal format could be beneficial to players of all walks.

I get that Modern is kind of the new eternal format for newer players who want to make an investment...but regardless, I dunno. I jus the idea that only a select few players have access to certain formats is something I dislike a lot.

It is a big misnomer to call Vintage, at least Paper Vintage, a "featured" format. None of the big tournaments that Wizards puts on (Grand Prixs or Pro Tours) are Vintage. Most areas don't even have a Vintage scene at all, because, as you said, the decks are literally tens of thousands of dollars. From what I understand, if an area does have enough interest in Vintage stores there will often run unsanctioned tournaments that allow a certain number of proxy cards, so that people don't have to have quite as many insane cards. I think most people generally start playing in these proxy tournaments in their local scene, and might add a Mox every year or something until they can finally go to the big deal no-proxy tournaments that there are couple of each year. And yeah, they are buying these things for thousands of dollars each. Or making huge trades.

Wizards itself really doesn't even support Legacy anymore. There are a few Legacy Grand Prixs a year. Legacy is mostly held up by 3rd Party Tournaments most notably the weekly Starcity Opens that travel around the country.

The cards are simply too expensive for the majority of people to get into it. The reason that both these formats are so expensive is that a while ago Wizards made a promise to never ever ever reprint a bunch of cards that are integral to those formats. This is known as the Reserved List. So there is a finite number of Black Lotuses, Moxes, Dual Lands and etc that will ever exist.

This is why they created Modern. So they'd have an eternal, non-rotating format, where they could reprint any cards they wanted. As you mentioned, they do support both these formats in Magic Online. The Reserved List only applied to physical cards.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

The answer is nobody plays Non-proxy vintage in paper. Vintage barely exists as a real format outside of MTGO.

Big One

Banned
Ok that makes sense I suppose. It also seems Vintage players do allow proxies a lot of the times due to card prices. That's fair I suppose.

The Technomancer

Ok that makes sense I suppose. It also seems Vintage players do allow proxies a lot of the times due to card prices. That's fair I suppose.

Yeah if you want to get into an "eternal" format check out Modern, which has everything going back 11 years and will have everything going forward

To understand this you really have to understand the messed up politics behind the creation of the Reserved List. Wizards did a massive print run of a set that included a bunch of classically valued cards, and as a result prices dropped like rocks and collectors got pissed. In a show of good faith Wizards then created a list of old cards they would never re-print to prevent the same situation from happening. But it basically killed Legacy and Vintage as viable formats for large scale operation since the cards in question are so warpingly powerful that there's no way to compete without them and the number of copies keeps decreasing as they're lost or destroyed.

ElyrionX

Started with the Ultra Pro Matte. Now I am double-sleeving them with the KMC perfect fit and the KMC Hypermat.

Well I jumped back in with the base 2015 set. I bought two of the black/white intro decks and the deck builders box for about $60. I'm going to modify and hopefully have something good. I haven't played since I was 13 so worth some disposable income this may be dangerous.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yeah if you want to get into an "eternal" format check out Modern, which has everything going back 11 years and will have everything going forward

To understand this you really have to understand the messed up politics behind the creation of the Reserved List. Wizards did a massive print run of a set that included a bunch of classically valued cards, and as a result prices dropped like rocks and collectors got pissed. In a show of good faith Wizards then created a list of old cards they would never re-print to prevent the same situation from happening. But it basically killed Legacy and Vintage as viable formats for large scale operation since the cards in question are so warpingly powerful that there's no way to compete without them and the number of copies keeps decreasing as they're lost or destroyed.

Even at the time, we knew that the cards in Chronicles were shit. The only one that's still worth anything is freakin' Blood Moon!

MTG has been around a really long time now; most of the staples in Vintage are broken nonsense from an era where they didn't conceive of having to balance the game for anything other than groups of friends, like an instant that costs one blue mana and lets you draw three cards. Its not even necessarily what you'd think a "Magic" game would play like. I play a Gush Storm deck online in Vintage that sometimes has 5 minute turns (and this is online) where I'm casting 10+ spells, searching my library 10+ times and drawing 20+ cards.

The thing is, its weird having a true "eternal" format due to the differences in the way they design cards. You'd have something that's straight up game warping being played as a land (meaning you can't counter it) and all of the creatures were terrible, etc. Modern is a much better eternal format in my opinion simply because the card pool has a much better design focus.

ElyrionX

fhBdUpd.jpg

Kerrinck

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";126551813]9 mana for an anthem that bricks one of your own creatures?[/QUOTE]

More like an Overrun but yeah still way too mana intensive.

Confirmed *not* GDS3 for next week's article. Has to be MM2.

I really doubt MaRo would get so excited about something he wouldn't have worked on at all with no new cards, and about a sequel that everyone was already expecting around this time at that. I'm still going for either: Magic movie news (Maro did confirm on Blogatog that he's fairly heavily involved in it), evergreen mechanics changes, or Unglued 3 announcement.

Anyway, Dragon Throne of Tarkir looks fun in limited.

The Technomancer

Oh my god so apparently for like three months in Development due to a miscommunication Snapcaster Mage didn't have flashback during testing and it got added back in at the end

The Technomancer

The article on developmental mistakes is unintentionally hilarious. I know everyone knows that Blue gets the most straight up broken cards, but seeing it broken down like that is crazy. Six blue cards, eight cards from all others colors and artifacts

No red cards :/

kirblar

The article on developmental mistakes is unintentionally hilarious. I know everyone knows that Blue gets the most straight up broken cards, but seeing it broken down like that is crazy. Six blue cards, eight catds from all others colors and artifacts

No red cards :/
Red mistakes are easy to spot.

bigkrev

"Casual Players who play Skullclamps" in that article makes me cry. Also, Ponder being able to target opponents sounds like the most broken thing imaginable.

I've been offered to trade my sp Japanese Bob for his Eng version + $30.
I'm really tempted, this is not such a bad deal right?

Ended up 1st place tonight in a 10-man Modern FNM with Jund Rats. Basic Jund list with Pack Rats and Mutavault instead of Courser and Treetops

R1 Burn 2-1
R2 UW humans 2-1
R3 Robots 2-1
R4 Hatebears 1-2

Wynnebeck

Banned
How are you guys going about selling your rotation decks? This Esper deck needs to get sold to get ready for Khans and post rotation, but this is going to be my first time attempting something like this.

Yeef

Oh my god so apparently for like three months in Development due to a miscommunication Snapcaster Mage didn't have flashback during testing and it got added back in at the end
It always had flashback; it didn't have flash (it was just Recoup on a 2/1 body).

I feel like even without flash it would be a great card; flash just takes it from great to amazing.

A list featuring ashiok! I was trying to scratch together an ashiok/kiora list for a while now buy I might just go with that. Maybe drop in a couple dimir all stars that never got their day in the sun. 2-of mirko vosk, anyone?

Kerrinck

http://www.starcitygames.com/article/29190_Daily-Digest-Dimir-Has-Standards.html#comments

I may just run this tomorrow, because it's essentially the BUG deck I tried to make happen months ago, without the green.

I also find it hilarious that people immediately say "Replace M15 Jace with RTR Jace!" - you actually can't do that here. There's not a single bounce spell elsewhere in the deck.

How future proof do you think this deck could be? Trying to go back into standard and it seems like this deck is mostly Theros and M15.

I'm thinking about dropping scrylands entirely and running 4 BUG taplands and 4 Evolving Wilds. Shuffling away the top card with Courser/Kiora on board is pretty real, not to mention the extra landfall trigger.
http://www.starcitygames.com/article/29190_Daily-Digest-Dimir-Has-Standards.html#comments

I may just run this tomorrow, because it's essentially the BUG deck I tried to make happen months ago, without the green.
But the Theros Green Engine is too strong. I don't get that deck.

A list featuring ashiok! I was trying to scratch together an ashiok/kiora list for a while now buy I might just go with that. Maybe drop in a couple dimir all stars that never got their day in the sun. 2-of mirko vosk, anyone?

I've been playing a version of this thing.

How are you guys going about selling your rotation decks? This Esper deck needs to get sold to get ready for Khans and post rotation, but this is going to be my first time attempting something like this.

I've been trading things off piece by piece. I don't care about holding onto my shocks until they hit $20 in 18 months, so I just traded them off for stuff I wanted to use like Planeswalkers and scrylands.

Hi, I'm an old timer and last played Magic 17 years ago (during Fifth Edition) before coming back recently and started playing casually with my gf Since then things have gotten pretty complicated...

Anyways, I had a question:

I had a Goblin Electromancer and had only 2 lands on turn three. I play Krenko's Command, which only costs R. My gf responds by Shocking my Electromancer in an attempt to fizzle out my spell since she thinks it should cost 1R now.

I'm pretty sure the spell still resolves but I had trouble trying to explain it to her as to why. When I first learned the game, it was explained very casually and I get most things that go on, but with some of these new abilities, the casual explanation doesn't really hold well any more.

Any help would be great! Thanks

Once you pay for a spell, it's done. A second Krenko's Command would cost 1R, but yours stays on the stack as is.

Thanks for the quick response~

I have another question, this one about scavenge:

Say my gf has a 3/3 Centaur token in play and she decides to scavenge her Slitherhead onto the Centaur. Even though this ability is played as a sorcery, is it possible to Lightning Bolt before the scavenge ability resolves?

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";126551813]9 mana for an anthem that bricks one of your own creatures?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, this is about as playable as Chain Veil.

kirblar

Thanks for the quick response~

I have another question, this one about scavenge:

Say my gf has a 3/3 Centaur token in play and she decides to scavenge her Slitherhead onto the Centaur. Even though this ability is played as a sorcery, is it possible to Lightning Bolt before the scavenge ability resolves?
Yes, abilities go onto the stack like spells do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom