• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Looking through the blog Mark has flat out said that its not GDS3 but has said that he "wishes it was Unhinged 3"

Its Un-3

Please oh please
Actually:

marobot5401 said: Maro, can you please confirm that you're not announcing a third Un-set on Monday?

I’ve already confirmed that.

I bet its not even a set, its probably like changing the format of something.

Yes, abilities go onto the stack like spells do.

Ah, alright I think I understand...

So something like Perilous Vault... When activated, a Naturalize won't stop it from blowing since the ability is on the stack, only something like Stifle will counter the effect, right?

Back in the day, the explanation of something like Nevinyrral's Disk or Bosium Strip's activated ability couldn't be stop simply because it was an activated ability. We were never taught about stacks really.

I really do like all the new complex mechanics Magic has to offer nowadays, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss the simplicity of the game back then (things like no planeswalkers and very simple abilities like flanking).

Anyways, thanks again Kirblar

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Ah, alright I think I understand...

So something like Perilous Vault... When activated, a Naturalize won't stop it from blowing since the ability is on the stack, only something like Stifle will counter the effect, right?

Back in the day, the explanation of something like Nevinyrral's Disk or Bosium Strip's activated ability couldn't be stop simply because it was an activated ability. We were never taught about stacks really.

I really do like all the new complex mechanics Magic has to offer nowadays, but I'd be lying if I said I don't miss the simplicity of the game back then (things like no planeswalkers and very simple abilities like flanking).

Anyways, thanks again Kirblar

Trust me, the stack was invented to actually simplify things. In a tournament type setting the inconsistency of the old system was a headache

kirblar

I really do like all the new complex mechanics Magic has to offer nowadays, but I'd be lying if I said I don't miss the simplicity of the game back then (things like no planeswalkers and very simple abilities like flanking).
This made me start cackling inside. :p

Also, put me into the "Don't want Un3" Camp. I agree with Tabak's logic of "We could be doing literally anything else with our time and resources."

mtgcom_arcana_130_pic2.jpg

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say guess on a chance in Standard rotations going forward, but even that seems unlikely to me.

I don't think Maro would announce a reprint set (MM2), its not an Un-set and its not Khans block spoilers. Even a change in rotation seems dubious for Maro to be announcing. I'd have guessed a rules change of some kind if it weren't for the fact that they'd have done that in M15.

This made me start cackling inside. :p

Also, put me into the "Don't want Un3" Camp. I agree with Tabak's logic of "We could be doing literally anything else with our time and resources."

Maro explicitly said its not Un-Set 3.

Trust me, the stack was invented to actually simplify things. In a tournament type setting the inconsistency of the old system was a headache

Ah, so the stack term didn't existed back then? I probably should have read the manual that came with my Starter deck but it was seriously dry to the bone. I just relied on people teaching me how to play as I went a long.

But seriously, the strength of these new cards are mind blowing to someone like me. I mean, my very first rare was a Lhurgoyf which I thought was OP. Now we have Tarmogoyfs. It's bananas!

kirblar

Is Monday's announcement a good thing?

Another lesson of hype. Don’t hype bad things.
MM2 and Vegas II.

Could definitely be more to it.

They've announced Khans sets 2/3. MM2 is the next release.

Things like rotation changes would be in a Feature Article, not something MaRo would write about. I still think the most likely options are news about the Magic movie, since Mark mentioned that he was heavily involved with overseeing it and he says he's excited about it; or news about updates to evergreen mechanics.

He wouldn't seem so excited about MM2, like I mentioned before. The return of Magic Invitationals is definitely something he'd want to announce, though.

Angry Grimace

Things like rotation changes would be in a Feature Article, not something MaRo would write about. I still think the most likely options are news about the Magic movie, since Mark mentioned that he was heavily involved with overseeing it and he says he's excited about it; or news about updates to evergreen mechanics.

He wouldn't seem so excited about MM2, like I mentioned before. The return of Magic Invitationals is definitely something he'd want to announce, though.

I don't think its movie news. He answers questions about it all the time and basically just says "it got optioned and they're talking about it." Its unlikely the film will even get greenlit.

Just because I think it's funny, I'll harp on this again.

I really do like all the new complex mechanics Magic has to offer nowadays, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss the simplicity of the game back then (things like no planeswalkers and very simple abilities like flanking).

This was printed at common.

Angry Grimace

Just because I think it's funny, I'll harp on this again.

This was printed at common.

The best thing about this card is that its a 1/1 for 1 CMC.

Battleship got greenlit.

Do not doubt Hasbro's pull.

Battleship appeals to people who like explosions. The Magic movie appeals to Mark Rosewater.

I don't think that's something they would leave to Mark Rosewater to talk about on his weekly column, anyways.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Battleship appeals to people who like explosions. The Magic movie appeals to Mark Rosewater.

I don't think that's something they would leave to Mark Rosewater to talk about on his weekly column, anyways.

I mean, we just had a Guardians of the Galaxy movie. Yeah a lot of that was Marvel marketing but if you're going to do a weird fantasy movie based on a relatively popular IP, nows the time to do it

Angry Grimace

I mean, we just had a Guardians of the Galaxy movie. Yeah a lot of that was Marvel marketing but if you're going to do a weird fantasy movie based on a relatively popular IP, nows the time to do it

I bet they're going to wait and see how Warcraft does before greenlighting anything.

Crocodile

I'm curious, how would people feel if MM2 had brand new cards designed and tested with the Modern format in mind that were only legal in Modern and older formats?

Lucario

I'm curious, how would people feel if MM2 had brand new cards designed and tested with the Modern format in mind that were only legal in Modern and older formats?

I'd be totally fine with that, with a few exceptions

-- It can't be a limited print set. Prices would get out of control for the new cards.

-- No new staples at mythic.

Angry Grimace

I think it would be kind of dumb. That kind of defeats what Modern is.

Negator

What are the chances of Modern Masters II having a much less limited print run and having an MSRP of a regular booster pack?

alternade

What are the chances of Modern Masters II having a much less limited print run and having an MSRP of a regular booster pack?
If they are serious about the format, it needs to have a run eqvalient to a block set. Anything less and its just going to be the same vultures that bought the first set.

I wanted to troll a planar cleansing player tonight at FNM so bad by siding in 4 Nyx-Fleece Rams. I couldn't do it.

My opening hand in game 2 was 3 lands and 4 dissolves. Too godlike. Still let the dude planar cleansing my blood barons. That's fine. Have fun.

ElyrionX

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";126684521]I wanted to troll a planar cleansing player tonight at FNM so bad by siding in 4 Nyx-Fleece Rams. I couldn't do it.

My opening hand in game 2 was 3 lands and 4 dissolves. Too godlike. Still let the dude planar cleansing my blood barons. That's fine. Have fun.[/QUOTE]

So did you win or lose?

You might be interested to know that I've gone back to Esper control. I am currently trying out Gerard Fabiano's deck.

alternade

I was trying out a bug aggro deck last night. I drew nothing but caryatids and lands and played against boros burn back to back. My luck/draws have been abysmal recently.

I was trying out a bug aggro deck last night. I drew nothing but caryatids and lands and played against boros burn back to back. My luck/draws have been abysmal recently.

You wanna know bad luck? The only deck I lost to at FNM yesterday was fucking Mono-U of all things.

Game 1: Destroyed him
Game 2: He gets unbeatable nut draw. When you're throwing away Thassas as bait to resolve a Bident, you know you have a good hand.
Game 3: Opening hand is three perfect lands and 4 great spells. 8 turns in and I still haven't drawn the 4th land to play my two supreme verdicts in hand.

Angry Grimace

Drafted a pretty awesome Vintage Masters goblins deck. Lose games 2 and 3 to the same combo, Mox Sapphire ---> High Tide --> 3 Frantic Search ----> Dark Ritual ---> Dark Ritual ----> Tendrils/Brain Freeze ---> Scrivener ---> me scoop. Both games I had lethal next turn. He also had Force of Will and Underground Sea.

Fuck that guy.

Angry Grimace

Scrivener doesn't work on Tendrils.

Had a pretty miserable pool so I decided to drop. Ten rounds lol

It was Brain Freeze the games I died. It was Tendrils the first game where he didn't quite get me.

Went to a Grand Prix Trial today and got blown the fuck out.

Played against Boros sligh one game and he dynacharges me for goddamn infinite damage after I scry supreme verdict to the top. double nyx-fleece double baron didn't cut it.

Then for my game that was cut to finals I'm 1-1 against Jund Walkers and my opening hand is 6 lands Elspeth. Then mulligan to 5 lands Elspeth. Then Mulligan again. What the fuck.

I was so close to winning on the mull to 5, too. double verdicting his mana dorks kept me in the game almost enough to stabilize. Survived a solid 12 turns or so. Starting out at -2 card advantage and no counter magic is gross against the deck with the best topdecks in the format.

alternade

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";126767447]Went to a Grand Prix Trial today and got blown the fuck out.

Played against Boros sligh one game and he dynacharges me for goddamn infinite damage after I scry supreme verdict to the top. double nyx-fleece double baron didn't cut it.

Then for my game that was cut to finals I'm 1-1 against Jund Walkers and my opening hand is 6 lands Elspeth. Then mulligan to 5 lands Elspeth. Then Mulligan again. What the fuck.

I was so close to winning on the mull to 5, too. double verdicting his mana dorks kept me in the game almost enough to stabilize. Survived a solid 12 turns or so. Starting out at -2 card advantage and no counter magic is gross against the deck with the best topdecks in the format.[/QUOTE]

Our time is at an end, control bro ;_;

duxstar

Our time is at an end, control bro ;_;

Mwhahahahahaha (Maniacal laugh) .......... Sorry , I won't shed a tear for quite a few cards going, but sphinxes rev might be near the top. I mean it's almost a 3 way tie for me.

Lifebane Zombie
Pack Rat
Sphinxes Revelation

Supreme verdict is eh , I used to be super afraid of it, enough to keep me out of standard for awhile (I was new to magic) but I don't see how it's any worse than any other 4 mana wrath effect.

bigkrev

Look at this fucking deck that T8 the Japan GP this weekend

4 Ornithopter
4 Memnite
4 Vault Skirge
4 Tarmogoyf

4 Mox Opal
4 Springleaf Drum
4 Chromatic Star
4 Cranial Plating
2 Thoughtseize
4 Galvanic Blast
4 Shrapnel Blast
4 Ensoul Artifact

4 Darksteel Citadel
4 Blinkmoth Nexus
4 Glimmervoid
2 Mana Confluence

14 land Ravagerless Tarmofinnity

Angry Grimace

The problem with Tarmogoyf is that Tarmogoyf makes everything better because its busted.

Angry Grimace

Should have been banned before the format even came into being.

That deck nearly won, too. Lost 2-1 in the finals.

I'm not even joking when I say they should ban Tarmogoyf. Its a stupid card.

f0rk

Wild Nactal was unbanned and 2 of those are normally more power than goyf for the same CMC what's the problem

I don't really think it should be banned, there should always be an aggressively costed creature with no value. And it's graveyard interaction creates depth.

Plus if you ban Goyf you're inevitably going to end up banned Birthing Pod as it will be the only midrange deck.

alternade

I agree that goyf is a bonkers card. The format is warped around it but banning it might as well be putting the first nail in the modern coffin. People will be PISSED. Partly because they will never print such an efficient card again.

Angry Grimace

They can't really ban Tarmogoyf because its simply too expensive and people have paid 800 bucks for playsets already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom