• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultron87

So it sounds like this is something related to the base game rules, and not a specific format or product.

Maybe new mulligan rules?

OnPoint

So it sounds like this is something related to the base game rules, and not a specific format or product.

Maybe new mulligan rules?

I'd be fine with that. I played a friend yesterday in Sealed and both games I got mana fucked. I hate losing when I have to mull down to 5 and I STILL can't draw into lands.

Was a bad deck anyway. But I'd have liked to have played with the cards I picked.

Hero

Partial mulligans would probably make combo decks insane.

Hand size limitation is probably going to be the next thing gone whenever they update the rules next.

ultron87

The thing that makes me doubt it is a rules change is the timing. They've always lined that stuff up with core sets instead of the fall block.

bigkrev

If they make any changes to the mulligan rule, it probably would be the DOTP system- you get 1 free mulligan to 7 before you have to Paris.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Core sets being eliminated, rotation changed, 2 blocks per year, each block is 2 sets.

Weird news. I'm not sure I'm super excited my cards are good in standard for even less time.

ultron87

Really surprised that they are killing the Core Set.

Two planes a year is actually pretty exciting. I like faster rotating standard in theory, especially considering how stale this Standard is, except that it means some of the cards have a shorter shelf life for constructed playability. Which makes buying them suck.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Really surprised that they are killing the Core Set.

Two planes a year is actually pretty exciting. I like faster rotating standard in theory, especially considering how stale this Standard is, except that it means some of the cards have a shorter shelf life for constructed playability. Which makes buying them suck.

That's your head talking and not your crack addict heart.

bigkrev

The only thing I'm unsure about is the speed of rotation. I love every other change. Explains why they killed Block, explains the different release schedule for Khans, and gives me hope for the future.

That said, I'm slightly more worried about the existence of MM2 now.

An-Det

Not sure I like the rotations being at 3 sets and not 4, but overall these are some great changes. The reactions on twitter seems very positive as well.

The only thing I'm unsure about is the speed of rotation. I love every other change. Explains why they killed Block, explains the different release schedule for Khans, and gives me hope for the future.

Why? Extra things like Modern Masters has never cared about the main set release schedule.

kirblar

The financial/psychological impact of the rotation changes is where I'm worried. But they can always go to 24 months if its a problem.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'm pretty much okay with this, other than wishing we were getting a few more cards per set to make up for only having two sets in a setting now. Other then that, I'm completely on board

Angry Grimace

Ravnica in only 2 sets is going to be....interesting.

The easiest way to solve this is just never going there again. There's of course the logistical option of just Lorwyn/Shadowmooring it.

This doesn't explain the different release schedule for Khans, though? There's still going to be a (presumably) Magic 2016, and they're not ditching the core sets until the calendar year 2016.

bigkrev

This doesn't explain the different release schedule for Khans, though? There's still going to be a (presumably) Magic 2016, and they're not ditching the core sets until the calendar year 2016.

The Khans block is rotating out when the Spring block comes out in 2016. By moving everything up, it makes sure that the 3rd set stuff for Khans is legal for at least a full year before it rotates out. Had they kept the old schedule, it's likely that the 3rd set of khans wouldn't be legal for a full year.

Angry Grimace

The Khans block is rotating out when the Spring block comes out in 2016. By moving everything up, it makes sure that the 3rd set stuff for Khans is legal for at least a full year before it rotates out. Had they kept the old schedule, it's likely that the 3rd set of khans wouldn't be legal for a full year.

Khans "block" doesn't rotate the way the other ones do. Louie and M16 are treated as a block, when Khans and Dewey rotate out, Louie and M16 do not.

kirblar

I just remembered that I didn't think Core Sets were selling well when Mutavault hit 30-40 bux in standard. That almost certainly played into it.

ultron87

Now the second sets will be subject to the "not many packs opened" thing that happens to small third sets now. If they do traditional draft order we'll draft triple first set for a few months followed by double first set single second set for a few months. So there will around 5 times as many first set packs as second set packs opened.

It used to be 6-2-1.

Only thing I don't like about this is that the core set was a really great way to make cards that weren't bound by setting (and was one of the justifications they used for Magic 2010). But since they're now unopposed to making new cards in supplemental products (what's the deal with the new player product MaRo namedropped and never went back to?) so I'm confident they'll figure something out. Having three thematically different sets in Standard might help deck diversity too.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Only thing I don't like about this is that the core set was a really great way to make cards that weren't bound by setting (and was one of the justifications they used for Magic 2010). But since they're now unopposed to making new cards in supplemental products (what's the deal with the new player product MaRo namedropped and never went back to?) so I'm confident they'll figure something out. Having three thematically different sets in Standard might help deck diversity too.

Yeah now that they've really embraced stuff like Commander and Conspiracy I'm not too worried about that, but five years ago I would have been

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom