• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultron87

I still feel like Act on Impulse is actually pretty close to being constructed playable. If it was 1R it'd be a slam dunk. (Of course you can say "if it was one mana cheaper. . ." for so so so many cards.)

I still feel like Act on Impulse is actually pretty close to being constructed playable. If it was 1R it'd be a slam dunk. (Of course you can say "if it was one mana cheaper. . ." for so so so many cards.)

Storm Brains
imageanq6w.png

Instant
Draw three cards, then put two cards from your hand on top of your library in any order.

Yeef

I wonder if they'd consider printing a symmetrical brainstorm in standard.

"Each player may [brainstorm]."

Or "Choose target opponent. You and the chosen player may each [brainstorm]." For EDh political nonsense applications.

I wish that brainstorm was legal in Standard, because brainstorming away your non-land cards in response to a thoughtseize is the best feeling in legacy. Of course, you can bring them right back with top in Legacy, but hey.

Probably less broken anti-Thoughseize blue tech than Brainstorm:

Blue Spell - U!
Instant
(U! can be paid with U or 2 life)
Exile all cards from your hand face down. At the beginning of the next end step, return all cards exiled this way to your hand and draw a card.

EDIT: The comments in this made me realize...
runcibleraven said: My only concern about the New Paradigm is that without core sets, there will be less room for perennials like Giant Growth, Pacifism and Cancel. I like having these cards around - will they still stay in Standard most of the time?

We’re going to work to get more of those in normal expansions.
... Pacifism is never going to feature Grakk in Standard again ;_; (I can handle never seeing those creepy animals again, though). Also, we'll never get the everlasting gobstopper Naturalize in Standard again either.

jdbogaard said: Hi Mark. Love the Two Block Paradigm and standard rotating twice a year. I'm less excited about sets being in standard only 18 months. I get the old adage 'don't knock it until you've tried it' and I am willing to withhold judgement and give 18 month standard a try for a few years, but was there a consideration for keeping sets in standard 24 months (4 blocks) but still rotating it twice a year? In other words, why only 3 blocks instead of 4?

It was on the table and we seriously considered it. Two problems:

1) Development felt it wasn’t enough of a change to solve the problem of players cracking Standard too easily and it meant dominate decks could just last a lot longer.

2) The change was upping the overall complexity (core sets are on the light side) of Standard and in order to compensate, I was going to have to lower the overall average complexity of sets. The change from four blocks down to three meant that I didn’t have to do that and even have a little bit of room to raise overall average set complexity.
So three-block Standard will allow sets to be just a bit more complex, and four-block Standard would have led to them lowering the complexity.

tumblr_nax663v5Rg1qjqvxao1_500.jpg

Firemind

That RUG Chord deck on channelfireball looks brilliant.
except for the mana.
This is giving me ideas for a scuttling doom engine counterburn deck featuring chord... Wish Wall of Roots was legal. That card was bonkers with Chord.

ElyrionX

So three-block Standard will allow sets to be just a bit more complex, and four-block Standard would have led to them lowering the complexity.

tumblr_nax663v5Rg1qjqvxao1_500.jpg

Translation: More frequent rotation = More dynamic meta = People needing to change their decks more often = More packs being sold.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
= more cards being opened = more cards on the secondary market = bringing singles prices down

Everybody wins.

So long as prices are what they were for Theros block standard, I don't care if they rotate faster because I get to brew more decks faster.

Activate Yisan's ability, pull the counter off with Thrull Parasite in response, tutor up an Ornithopter, Ensoul Artifact it for a 5/5 as early as turn 4.

I broke it guys.

ElyrionX

Been playing quite a lot of EDH lately. So, there is this guy at my LGS who plays Derevi. Every game he tutors out Prophet of Kruphix and Azami and becomes a giant card drawing, untapping and tutoring machine on EVERY SINGLE PLAYER'S TURN. It just takes forever to play because he has something to do every turn and searching a 100-card library of singles obviously takes time as does the shuffling which he is OCD about. I don't even bother to shuffle my library sometimes when I tutor because I don't want to hold everyone up and it's a casual game so nobody really cares.

I play EDH because I want to play a bunch of cool cards I can't really use in Standard or Modern but some people (not just this guy) make it a tad unfun. And I actually like this guy because he is friendly and helpful and is genuinely nice.

Dealing with unfun situations and trying to smile in the face of the ugly side of combo magic is literally 50% of EDH as a format. The other 50 is dream brewing.

rexor0717

Been playing quite a lot of EDH lately. So, there is this guy at my LGS who plays Derevi. Every game he tutors out Prophet of Kruphix and Azami and becomes a giant card drawing, untapping and tutoring machine on EVERY SINGLE PLAYER'S TURN. It just takes forever to play because he has something to do every turn and searching a 100-card library of singles obviously takes time as does the shuffling which he is OCD about. I don't even bother to shuffle my library sometimes when I tutor because I don't want to hold everyone up and it's a casual game so nobody really cares.

I play EDH because I want to play a bunch of cool cards I can't really use in Standard or Modern but some people (not just this guy) make it a tad unfun. And I actually like this guy because he is friendly and helpful and is genuinely nice.

Yeah, I had an EDH playgroup of around 6 people. Eventually, it just became the "Who Combos First" game. It sucked, so I dismantled my combo decks. One of them was a Mono-green combo deck with Patron of the Orochi that used stuff like Greater Good and mana doublers to produce a fuck ton of mana. Then you'd cast something that made a bunch of tokens and give them all haste. It was so fun but took around 15 minutes to go off. lol

Big One

Banned
So I'm thinking about decks to invest in in Standard once rotation occurs. Though we never really know what we're getting from Khans just yet, I'm thinking a BUG Control deck is something I'm looking for. This is the basic build I'm thinking (will wait on the sideboard to see how the meta shapes up):

4x Courser of Kruphix
4x Elvish Mystic
4x Sylvan Caratid
1x Prognostic Sphinx

4x Bile Blight
4x Dissolve
4x Thoughtseize
2x Read the Bones

4x Kiora, the Crashing Wave
4x Ashioak, Nightmare Weaver
1x Jace, the Living Guildpact
1x Liliana Vess

3x Swamp
4x Llanowar Wastes
4x Yavimaya Coast
4x Temple of Deceit
4x Temple of Malady
4x Temple of Mystery

Any advice on this build? i'm looking towards something like this for the upcoming format.

I'm tempted at remove Jace and Liliana for two more instants but I'm not quite sure what I want.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So I'm thinking about decks to invest in in Standard once rotation occurs. Though we never really know what we're getting from Khans just yet, I'm thinking a BUG Control deck is something I'm looking for. This is the basic build I'm thinking (will wait on the sideboard to see how the meta shapes up):

4x Courser of Kruphix
4x Elvish Mystic
4x Sylvan Caratid
1x Prognostic Sphinx

4x Bile Blight
4x Dissolve
4x Thoughtseize
2x Read the Bones

1x Liliana Vess

3x Swamp
4x Llanowar Wastes
4x Yavimaya Coast
4x Temple of Deceit
4x Temple of Malady
4x Temple of Mystery

Any advice on this build? i'm looking towards something like this for the upcoming format.

I'm tempted at remove Jace and Liliana for two more instants but I'm not quite sure what I want.

You're going to want Mana Confluences to run that because you have double colored symbols in all of the colors in the deck. Sylvans aren't going to be enough to carry the mana for the whole deck, I think.

I'd think less about picking up full decks and more about picking up obvious staple cards like Thoughtseize and then seeing what Khans of Tarkir actually brings to the table. Its impossible to predict what will be good before you see the cards (which will start getting spoiled over the weekend). I'd be especially leery of picking up expensive cards that might or might not be good, Kiora is an example of that.

I'd also say that Bile Blight is a more situational (e.g. a sideboard) card than Hero's Downfall, which is another card I'd pick up if you like this kind of deck.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";127242059]Activate Yisan's ability, pull the counter off with Thrull Parasite in response, tutor up an Ornithopter, Ensoul Artifact it for a 5/5 as early as turn 4.

I broke it guys.[/QUOTE]

The Rube Goldberg machine of Magic combos.

4x Courser of Kruphix
4x Elvish Mystic
4x Sylvan Caratid
1x Prognostic Sphinx

4x Bile Blight
4x Dissolve
4x Thoughtseize
2x Read the Bones

1x Liliana Vess

3x Swamp
4x Llanowar Wastes
4x Yavimaya Coast
4x Temple of Deceit
4x Temple of Malady
4x Temple of Mystery

Cut the dissolves for Hero's Downfalls. You're going to be using up a lot of mana each turn and you can't hold up counters. Save the permission for negates in the sideboard. Also, you need 14 untapped green sources to play Elvish Mystic, and you're sitting at 8. Swap 2 swamps for Forests, the third one for an Urborg because it'll help with your painlands, and cut 6 temples for 2 Mana Confluence, 2 tapped trilands from Khans and 2 More Forests.

Bile Blight is important because it's the only 2-mana removal you have access to, but 4 is probably too many. Cut down 2 for a splashy card like Silence the Believers. Also, you need a playset of Nissa in there. Cut two Ashiok, the Jace and maybe a Thoughtseize. Without Nissa or Garruk you don't have a way to close out the game, and thoughtseize only really exists to clear the way for planeswalkers, but you'd really rather just curve out pressure.

Genesis Hydra somewhere in the 75 is key, it's often a 3-for-1 that drops uncounterable, creature-generating planeswalkers.

As with Grimace's statement, these are more thought excersizes than real decks. A lot of the cards are almost guaranteed to be strong(courser + caryatid), but it's still speculation with only ~76% of the cards in the next format available now, especially since Khans will nearly double the major mechanics.

ElyrionX

Went 1-2 at Wednesday Night Magic today with my Esper Control deck. Despite the scoreline, I felt that it was easily the best Magic I've played since I started. I am actually beginning to sequence my plays well and not making too many bad decisions in addition to counting cards in graveyards and on the board to get a sense of the rough probability of cards that my opponents have in hand.

I was 1-1 when I went on to my third match. It was against a guy who's a level 1 judge and he was running Cleansing Control (Floch deck but with an Aetherling). I took game 1 on a strong early game due to him being mana-screwed for a couple of turns and I managed to ultimate Ashiok to wipe his hand and graveyard before swinging in with Elspeth tokens. Game 2, I got off to a poor start (mulled to six) and he managed to resolve Aetherling but made the mistake a few turns later of countering one of my spells which left him tapped out. I resolved an Elspeth and destroyed the Aetherling on my turn. Resolved Memory Adept and milled him to zero cards and he had one mana open. Elixer was on the table which I Detention Sphere'd. I Thoughtseize'd him and he showed a Deicide and Sphinx. For some reason, I let the pressure mess up my thinking and removed the Sphinx instead of the Deicide and he removed my DSphere on his upkeep and cracked the Elixer. Zzzzzzz. He took Game 3 quite easily on a strong opening hand.

Regardless, I am pretty happy with the improvement in my play as this was a guy who wrecked me when I first started playing last month and it was a close fight today despite him using a stronger deck than the last time.

Things I seriously need to work on now:

1. Not being sloppy with regards to untapping, upkeep, triggers and drawing. I know these things can cost me during a tournament so I need to clean it up while I'm still playing casually.

2. Playing faster. I take far too long to make my decisions and may get called on it during a tournament as well.

There's more new art in the article, BTW. The article reveals that Tarkir is a desolate place, where people fight without purpose other than to fight and defend, and no structures last for very long, in contrast to when dragons were around, when the common enemy resulted in the people working together and building structures that managed to last hundreds of years, despite the dragons.

Yeah after board against Cleansing Control my Esper deck is just 10 counter spells, 3 thoughtseize and a pile of land and win conditions. Basically just jam stuff to put pressure on their counter magic until you get AEtherling into play and ignore everything else.

I might start negating divinations if I have 2+ counters, though.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";127323842]Yeah after board against Cleansing Control my Esper deck is just 10 counter spells, 3 thoughtseize and a pile of land and win conditions. Basically just jam stuff to put pressure on their counter magic until you get AEtherling into play and ignore everything else.

I might start negating divinations if I have 2+ counters, though.[/QUOTE]
Ashiok->Exile Elixir has to be the best feeling ever against that deck.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";127325159]Turn 2 thoughtseize when Elixir was their first draw of the game is even better.[/QUOTE]
I'm actually convinced that Elixir is a bigger mistake than Revelation. It enables these "endless loop" decks that you don't actually want in the metagame.

ElyrionX

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";127323842]Yeah after board against Cleansing Control my Esper deck is just 10 counter spells, 3 thoughtseize and a pile of land and win conditions. Basically just jam stuff to put pressure on their counter magic until you get AEtherling into play and ignore everything else.

I might start negating divinations if I have 2+ counters, though.[/QUOTE]

I am using the Gerard Fabiano deck. He doesn't have Aetherling anywhere lol. I am considering adding it in though.

I've tried a few searches, but I can't seem to narrow in on it... Is there a list of cards that aren't available on MTGO? I read somewhere that it's around 850 or something and I'm more curious than anything :)

"Just for Fun" Legacy on Magic Online has been really funny. Interesting to see cards I've only read about, etc. Been rocking a janky Ankh of Mishra thing... won a couple, but it needs work, lol.

PS: A buddy of mine bought a RTR booster recently and pulled a foil Deathrite Shaman. He has no use for it / doesn't want to play with it. Is it worth holding on to or should he just turn it around?

Angry Grimace

I've tried a few searches, but I can't seem to narrow in on it... Is there a list of cards that aren't available on MTGO? I read somewhere that it's around 850 or something and I'm more curious than anything :)

"Just for Fun" Legacy on Magic Online has been really funny. Interesting to see cards I've only read about, etc. Been rocking a janky Ankh of Mishra thing... won a couple, but it needs work, lol.

PS: A buddy of mine bought a RTR booster recently and pulled a foil Deathrite Shaman. He has no use for it / doesn't want to play with it. Is it worth holding on to or should he just turn it around?

I mean, no. Its not really played much in Standard and its banned in Modern. I guess it might get unbanned at some point in the future.

ironmang

Alright, looks like I may be going to the SCG invi this weekend to play the standard open and the modern iq. What standard deck should I play? I have B/W put together but it's soul crushingly boring to play. Might borrow GW aggro which may not be as good of a deck but is a lot more fun for a player like me. Besides those, assuming I can borrow any deck, what would you guys suggest I play?

Stay away from mono black, mono blue, and control then. Those seem played out and will probably have the same creeping feeling of sameness you're catching from the BW.

Jund Planeswalkers, BUG Planeswalkers, Rw Devotion, and that Yisan deck Reid Duke had at the SCG open last weekend would be fun. They are strong but have the right amount of variance and freshness that they'd be good for your purposes.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Alright, looks like I may be going to the SCG invi this weekend to play the standard open and the modern iq. What standard deck should I play? I have B/W put together but it's soul crushingly boring to play. Might borrow GW aggro which may not be as good of a deck but is a lot more fun for a player like me. Besides those, assuming I can borrow any deck, what would you guys suggest I play?

BG Constellation.

ultron87

Turn it into BUG Const. and throw in some counterspells. Swan Song is vastly underplayed.

I don't think I'd throw in blue if I was going to add a color. The biggest threat to the deck is Verdict which blue doesn't do anything to stop and (god forbid they have it) Back to Nature, which is just a beating no matter what. You also have already have a lot of disruption from Maggot and Thoughtseize so you can often take the thing you'd want to counter beforehand anyway. Also the deck really wants to be able to tap out as it chains enchantments and draws a ton of cards off Eidolon of Blossoms. So holding up for most counters isn't ideal. Swan Song would be alright since the 2/2 is relatively vulnerable to Doomwake triggers, but shrug. Not sure it would be worth it.

I've been trying it with white because that helps a ton with the burn matchup as you get Last Breath and the ram. I've even been considering silly stuff like Ephemeral Shields to keep Eidolon alive, because you win most games where your Eidolon sticks.

I mean, no. Its not really played much in Standard and its banned in Modern. I guess it might get unbanned at some point in the future.

Yeah, that's what I figured. He was wondering if it was likely to go down... I said that it was already banned and didn't think it was likely to go up. He's just worried that it will continue to fall... and with Ravnica rotating out, I guess it's possible / probable?

Anyway, thanks :)

Also, is that a no to a semi-up-to-date list of paper-only vs. MTGO cards? I know a bunch from Conspiracy aren't, but like I said, I'm more curious than anything.

Firemind

Garruk is more like a Druid.

Ajani and Elspeth are fighter/knight/ranger in my imagery.

I thought Sarkhan was more of a barbarian/warlord than a shaman/warlock.

Considering M16 (name TBA) is the last core set, I was thinking about what special thing could be done with it that couldn't be done with an expert expansion, when I realized that there was a class of cards that could only be reprinted into Standard in mass in a core set: legendary cards. So calling it now, M16 will feature a bunch of legendary reprints.

Considering M16 (name TBA) is the last core set, I was thinking about what special thing could be done with it that couldn't be done with an expert expansion, when I realized that there was a class of cards that could only be reprinted into Standard in mass in a core set: legendary cards. So calling it now, M16 will feature a bunch of legendary reprints.

Whatever it is, I get the feeling that it'll be tied mechanically to the 3rd set of the Khans block more than core sets are usually tied to normal expansions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom