• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Black Revelation.

Draw X cards and target player loses X life and you gain X life.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Exile the top X cards of your library. You may cast those cards without paying their mana cost.

EDIT: OK seriously, how did we both decide to post about the same article two hours after it was put up?
Probably because like me you were like "oh right it's past 11am I wonder if there's any pre-preview week filler oh look a wedge development article"

The new update schedule really blows cause I'm usually out and about and in the middle of doing other stuff when the mothership updates

Haly

Image.ashx

If that was black, it would probably require you to lose life for every card you cast for "free".

ultron87

I bet it is a permanent. The BBBB is really good for devotion.

XXBBBB
Creature - Zombie
6/6

Delve

When you cast {card} put X 2/2 Zombie creature tokens onto the battlefield.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Black Revelation.

Draw X cards and target player loses X life and you gain X life.

Draw X cards and target player loses X life and and discards X cards and puts X -1/-1 counters on creatures they control you gain X life and you put X 2/2 Zombies on the battlefield.

I bet it is a permanent. The BBBB is really good for devotion.

XXBBBB
Creature - Zombie
6/6

Delve

When you cast {card} put X 2/2 Zombie creature tokens onto the battlefield.

That card would just instantly replace Desecration Demon in MBD while being basically better in every way.

ultron87

Hey, he said Standard playable.

Actually I'd be more confident in it being a permanent if the cost was just BBB, because I'm not sure they'd print something that lets a God be active with just one other card. But Devotion just seems like the obvious reason they'd put a card that cost BBBB in a Wedge set.

Haly

A permanent would just further cement MBD for another year, I don't think Wizards wants that.

Angry Grimace

The suggested card would just make MBD dominant as hell for another three years. All it would need is a good 2 drop to replace Pack Rat.

ultron87

Black Devotion will need more than a single good devotion enabler to continue being dominant. But yes, obviously the thing I typed in a minute was bonkers. I really just thought "Grave Titan, but all at once".

It could be a morph with Morph XBB that has an ability and whenever you turn it up or it enters the battlefield it does a thing based on the value of X. And then sticks around to give you devotion.

Have there been ETB effects that look at X from how the card's was cast? That might not actually work in the rules, what with things in different zones being new objects and all that.

Angry Grimace

Black Devotion will need more than a single good devotion enabler to continue being dominant. But yes, obviously the thing I typed in a minute was bonkers. I really just thought "Grave Titan, but all at once".

It could be a morph with Morph XBB that has an ability and whenever you turn it up or it enters the battlefield it does a thing based on the value of X. And then sticks around to give you devotion.

Have there been ETB effects that look at X from how the card's was cast? That might not actually work in the rules, what with things in different zones being new objects and all that.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "ETB effects that look at X from how the card's was cast"

ultron87

Something like:

X-Man XR

Creature

When X-man enters the battle deal X damage to target creature.

1/1

By the time it is on the battlefield it might not be able look back at what it was cast for. It works with something like Mistcutter Hydra because it looks at the X as it enters instead of afterwards. Though I suppose if Court Hussar can know it was cast for W there's no reason another card can't go look at the X cost.

Angry Grimace

Something like:

X-Man XR

Creature

When X-man enters the battle deal X damage to target creature.

1/1

By the time it is on the battlefield it might not be able look back at what it was cast for. It works with something like Mistcutter Hydra because it looks at the X as it enters instead of afterwards. Though I suppose if Court Hussar can know it was cast for W there's no reason another card can't go look at the X cost.

I don't know if its been done, but could very easily be done within the rules using counters or something similar.

Angry Grimace

You can do both. Redundancy is good in EDH.

And anyway - it's a 5/7 for 5. That's not too bad.

Its a 5/7 for 2WGB. That's not great. The color-requirements are steep and the static effect is not fantastic sounding right now.

Yeef

Don't know what was happening tonight in draft, not that I'm complaining. I was in Boros got passed a Cone of Flame, opened a Cone of Flame and Chord of Calling. Took the Chord (obviously), then was immediately passed another Chord and the cone I opened managed to table to me. We had a handful of new(ish) players (which explains the Chord pass), but the regaulars should know better than to let a Cone table.

On my phone and need sleep so I won't give a full report but I'm back in the city and just got 1st at another fnm with esper control at a new shop! I feel ready for the 5k tomorrow wish me luck! Also my prize packs were insane double shocks and a domri

ElyrionX

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";127707458]On my phone and need sleep so I won't give a full report but I'm back in the city and just got 1st at another fnm with esper control at a new shop! I feel ready for the 5k tomorrow wish me luck! Also my prize packs were insane double shocks and a domri[/QUOTE]

Same deck list as before?

ElyrionX

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";127720952]Yeah but I swapped pithing needle for deicide in the sideboard.[/QUOTE]

How is it doing vs. UW Floch?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Khans of Tarkir wasn’t a wedge set when the block was in exploratory design. That happened during design.

Now that's interesting. I know they've been saying "the thing about Khans is its structure", but I guess that adds more reinforcement.

gerg

So, after several years of literally just sitting in a box, I'm thinking of upping and doing away with my old MTG collection (as well as my old, WOTC Pokemon CCG collection). Is there any particularly efficient way to go about valuing and selling the cards? It should contain a good variety of cards from 7th Edition possibly through to Lorwyn. I guess at one point I'll simply have to try and value the cards individually and then work out whether it's best to sell it all as a bulk set or try to sell the most valuable cards separately. Thanks!

alternade

So, after several years of literally just sitting in a box, I'm thinking of upping and doing away with my old MTG collection (as well as my old, WOTC Pokemon CCG collection). Is there any particularly efficient way to go about valuing and selling the cards? It should contain a good variety of cards from 7th Edition possibly through to Lorwyn. I guess at one point I'll simply have to try and value the cards individually and then work out whether it's best to sell it all as a bulk set or try to sell the most valuable cards separately. Thanks!

how much would be willing to sell for the lot(just mtg cards)?

gerg

how much would be willing to sell for the lot(just mtg cards)?

I guess it depends on what the market value is for them, which I'd probably be prepared to undercut. But I'd probably want at least £100 or £200 for it. Otherwise I don't think I'd be bothered.

As I'm bored I'll start a new post listing all the Rares or otherwise seemingly valuable/different cards in a long quote.

Kipe

Edit: Didn't realize you live in Europe. Disregard my entire post.

Go to dawnglare and use their price visualizer so you know which cards are valuable by what they look like. Find a tv show, movie, or podcast to watch or listen while you sort. You want one pile of cards that are five or three dollars and above, another for junk rares and then a pile for the other cards.

When you're done add cards from your first pile to Tcgplayer's mass card entry. Adjust the set the cards came from, condition, and quantity. It should tell you how much your collection is worth.

You should expect fifty percent of tcg mid value if you want to sell to nearby card store for cash. You might be able to get more in credit, about ten or twenty percent more, and use that to buy whatever the store sells. I would personally try to sell on craigslist and ask for eighty percent of tcg mid for the collection. In order to get almost full value sell them individually on ebay.

gerg

Here's what I have in my binder. I also have four (rubbish) decks that I can go through, as well as lots and lots and lots of lands that I won't have any need for.

Sword of Kalda (promo)
Shield of Kaldra (promo)
Helm of Kalda (promo)
FOIL Darksteel Brute
FOIL Super Secret Tech
FOIL Coretapper
FOIL Platinum Angel
FOIL Spellbook
FOIL Bottle Gnomes
Journeyer's Kite
FOIL Ornithopter
Mirror Gallery
Darksteel Reactor
Mind's Eye (Spanish)
Vexing Arcanix
Spellbinder
Door to Nothingness
FOIL Ensouled Scimitar
Gate to the Aether
Isochron Scepter
Trinisphere
FOIL Anodet Lurker
FOIL Myr Quadrapod
Krark's Thumb
Serum Powder
Timesifter
Tower of Champions
FOIL Arcbound Worker
Quicksilver Fountain
FOIL Mindservant
Bottle of Suleiman
Masticore (Urza's block)
Crawlspace
Jandor's Saddlebags
Lotus Petal
Meekstone
Rock Lobster
Scissors Lizard
Paper Tiger
Copper-Leaf Angel
Doom Cannon
Cryptic Gateway
Cursed Rack
4x Metallic Sliver
Urza's Science Fair Project

Kiyomaro, First to Stand (promo)
Once More with Feeling
The Cheese Stands Alone
FOIL Bushi Tenderfoot
Serra Avatar
FOIL Pristine Angel
Akroma, Angel of Wrath
Exiled Doomsayer
Convalescence
Archangel
Gerrard Capashen
Luminous Angel
Seraph
Several Soltari cards
Yomiji, Who Bars the Way
Ravages of War
Dawn Elemental
True Believer
Aurification
Mobilization
Morningtide
Reverse the Sands
Miss Demeanor
Soulscour
Pegasus token
Vassal's Duty
2x Silver Seraph
Hikari, Twilight Guardian
Look at Me, I'm R&D

FOIL Emissary of Despair
FOIL Screams from Within
Soul Collector (promo)
Infernal Genesis
B.F.M (both halves)
Ink-Eyes, Servant of Oni (promo)
SIGNED The Wretched
Fallen Angel
Silent Spector
Ashen Powder
Crypt Angel
Poultrygeist
Traveling Plague
Nantuko Shade
Mindslicer
Corrupt Official
Promise of Power
Desolation Angel
Ebonblade Reaper
Phyrexian Plaguelord
Yawgmoth's Bargain
Blackmail (promo)
Aether Snap
Death Pit Offering
Death Pits of Rath
Sengir Vampire
Sengir Vampire (promo)
Mephidross Vampire
Scion of Darkness
FOIL Kami of the Wanting Moon
One with Nothing
Hero's Demise

Chicken Egg
Goblin Bowling Team
Hurloon Wrangler
10th ANNIVERSARY Rukh Egg
Obliterate
Rukh token
Strategy, Schmategy
FOIL Ryusei, the Falling Star
War Elemental
Possessed Barbarian
Slobal, Goblin Tinkerer
Fireslinger (DCI promo)
Carbonize (promo)
Blood Moon
Two-Headed Dragon
FOIL Spark Elemental
Fiery Gambit
Goblin Game
Goblin Bookie
Goblin Tutor
Chance Encounter
Through the Breach
Mana Clash
Ben-Ben, Akki Hermit
Avalanche Riders (FNM promo)

Feral Throwback (promo)
FOIL Elvish Champion
Krosan Cloudscraper
Meng Huo, Barbarian King
FOIL Tangle Asp
Squirrel Wrangler
2x Nut Collector
Deranged Hermit
3x Squirrel Nest
3x Squirrel Mob (1 signed, 1 Spanish)
Fungusaur
4x Pouncing Jaguar
2x Muscle Sliver
Free-Range Chicken
Squirrel Token
Jugan, the Rising Star
Roaring Slagwurm
Copperhoof Vorrac
Krosan Colossus
Silklash Spider
Elvish Impersonators
Hum of the Radix
Gigapede
2x Rebuking Ceremony
Elvish Piper
Upwelling
Maro
Lifegift
Oxidize (full-art promo)

Polymorph
FOIL Riptide Shapeshifter
Upheaval
Broodstar
Serum Visions (DCI promo)
Mind Bend (Spanish)
Saprazzan Heir
Lumengrid Augur
Bumbling Beebles
Bouncing Beebles (promo)
Heightened Awareness
Reweave
Temporal Cascade
Sway of the Stars
Time Stop
Time Stretch
FOIL Wandering Ones
FOIL Ethereal Usher

Mystic Snake
Spinal Embrace
Woodwraith Corrupter
Iridescent Angel
Lightning Angel
Selenia, Dark Angel

Snow-Covered Island
3x FOIL Island
4x full-art Island (2x Unglued, IIRC)
FOIL Lantern-Lit Graveyard
FOIL Tainted Peak
FOIL Irrigation Ditch (Chinese)
FOIL Tinder Farm (Chinese)
Unholy Grotto (signed)
3x FOIL Swamp
2x FOIL Plains
4x full-art Mountain
Forest (DCI logo)
FOIL Forest

I also have an absolute tonne of Unhinged cards, and an unopened Fallen Empires booster (lol).

I'll go look through the decks now.

Edit: Thanks Kipe. I'll go do that now.

Four hours until we get preview cards, so last predictions for clan mechanics.

Abzan: Given the intro pack rare, I'm guessing something like, "Whenever this creature blocks, put a +1/+1 counter on it."

Mardu: Known

Jeskai: Known

Surtai: Delve

Temur: Similar to Might Makes Right, "If you control each creature on the battlefield with the greatest power, then do X." My previous version also checked for toughness, but Friday's Latest Developments article mentioned how exalted worked in blue in Shards due to the flavor of Bant, so the ill fit for blue with power is allowable.

kirblar

Temur: Similar to Might Makes Right, "If you control each creature on the battlefield with the greatest power, then do X." My previous version also checked for toughness, but Friday's Latest Developments article mentioned how exalted worked in blue in Shards due to the flavor of Bant, so the ill fit for blue with power is allowable.
Naya basically did this.

It sucked.

Would not be surprised to see Gold Counters in as well.

gerg

So it seems like the collection I have is not particularly valuable, although I can't say I'm surprised. I may as well keep it then, or perhaps give it to my local card shop to distribute to players.

Delve is just so...meh. It's literally the laziest "graveyard as a resource" mechanic possible. Making that be the entire clan mechanic would honestly be really disappointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom