• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

MjFrancis

I should have bought Goblin Guides when there were copies on eBay going for less than $13... two weeks ago.

http://www.mtgstocks.com/prints/1731

Now the average is closing in on $24 with no end in sight. Maybe because the new block structure just about confirms a lack of an imminent reprint? The synergy with Rabblemaster? Because Travis Woo reminded everyone how awesome this card is two weeks ago?

Firemind

Travis who? lol

It's probably a combination of Zendikar's low print run, high probability of not getting reprinted until MM2/Zendeuxkar and modern burn making splashes at GPs and PTQs.

Vexing Devil is almost at $10 now. :lol

Someone just passed a Black Lotus to me in a vintage masters draft online.

I'm pretty sure they had to have opened foil power...they weren't waiting forever or anything, it was quite fast.

I'm curious - for those of you buy the duel decks and keep them assembled, how do you protect/store them? I'm going to start picking up the duel decks in a (hopefully successful) attempt to get my wife interested in the game, and I'm trying to find a clean solution for storage after I sleeve them up. Any thoughts?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Someone just passed a Black Lotus to me in a vintage masters draft online.

I'm pretty sure they had to have opened foil power...they weren't waiting forever or anything, it was quite fast.

The foil and power 9 are the same slot. You can't get foil power and regular power in the same pack. Person is dumb probably.

Hero

The foil and power 9 are the same slot. You can't get foil power and regular power in the same pack. Person is dumb probably.

Pretty sure it's possible to get a foil power and regular in the same pack, just like you could pull a foil Goyf and regular Gofy in Modern Masters.

Edit:

Maybe not.

10 common
3 uncommon
1 rare or mythic rare
1 premium foil card (any rarity, including the extremely rare premium foil Power Nine card); OR 1 Power Nine card

ultron87

635448014164483804.jpg

Creature — Human Shaman (Rare)
{T}: Add G, U or R to your mana pool.
Morph {2} (You may cast this face down as a 2/2 creature for {3}. Turn it face up any time for its morph cost.)
When ~ is turned face up, add GUR to your mana pool.
2/1

Really cool that you can unmorph it and then tap it to get 4 mana from 2.

OnPoint

Morph {2} (You may cast this face down as a 2/2 creature for {3}. Turn it face up any time for its morph cost.)
2/1

Huh that card is kinda cool.

Pretty neat, and note that it's a card that can be played solely with colorless mana. I didn't notice the tap when unmorphed thing until it was pointed out, which I guess explains why it's rare. There might also be a rare cycle of cards that can be brought out with colorless mana.

red13th

2/1

Full colourless mana critter?

y2dvd

2/1

I never played with Morph before. Say your Morph it, is it a new creature with summoning sickness or did it get SS when casted face down?

y2dvd

Same critter. Just like DFCs.

Ah. So green will have Elvish Mystic, Sylvan Caratid, Courser of Cruphix (sorta), and Voyaging Satyr (sorta). How many mana dorks do you run?

Casting Morph cards face down is so scary with Drown in Sorrow and Bile Blight being in rotation.

ultron87

Drown in Sorrow is definitely something to watch out for, but Bile Blight isn't that bad because it will only hit one of your morphs, since morphs don't share names with each other. They just have no name.

kirblar

Ah. So green will have Elvish Mystic, Sylvan Caratid, Courser of Cruphix (sorta), and Voyaging Satyr (sorta). How many mana dorks do you run?

Casting Morph cards face down is so scary with Drown in Sorrow and Bile Blight being in rotation.
Bile Blight actually doesn't work like that. They don't have a name.

Wow they really pushed that mana dude. Two power for two and it taps for 3 colors? AND it has the Morph Ritual thing going on? Pretty sweet

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The thing is...they weren't AFK. I picked a foil mana vault within a few seconds of opening it, and then the black lotus was immediately there. They def picked something, and knew what they picked...

I was probably like a Jace, the Mind Sculptor and they didn't see the Lotus.

Unless there's some kind of morph synergy, right now you run Elvish Mystic and Sylvan Caryatid and wait for Caryatid to rotate before you get this guy.

ultron87

I hope it was something like "Battle Screech! Woo!" *clicks just as eye passes over Lotus* ".... noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo."

Just wondering but why would you cast that during the draw step?

To let them draw the card for their turn, but cast clique before they can play it in the main phase.

Also, you get a dirty special if you cast Clique, pause before you name your target (because you name a target player), but your opponent reveals their hand to you anyway. You take note whether or not you need to target them and if not, target yourself instead.

It's technically legal and it's a dick move, but it happens a lot.

ElyrionX

I see. Yeah that makes sense.

Question on Detention Sphere. If I cast it and don't name the target and my opponent allows it to resolve, can he still activate an ability such as cracking an Elixer if I name the Elixer upon Dsphere entering the battlefield?

The Adder

Banned
I see. Yeah that makes sense.

Question on Detention Sphere. If I cast it and don't name the target and my opponent allows it to resolve, can he still activate an ability such as cracking an Elixer if I name the Elixer upon Dsphere entering the battlefield?

AFAIK, naming the target is a part of casting the spell. If you haven't named a target, you haven't finished casting the spell. The spell can't resolve until it has been cast.

Yeef

Detention Sphere is an enchantment with a targeted triggered ability. The target is chosen when the trigger occurs, which is after it enters the battlefield. Since it's a triggered ability, you can respond to it, just like anything on the stack, and crack your elixir. On trying to resolve, the ability will have no legal targets and will be countered.

ElyrionX

AFAIK, naming the target is a part of casting the spell. If you haven't named a target, you haven't finished casting the spell. The spell can't resolve until it has been cast.

Isn't entering the battlefield mean that it has resolved already? The wording of Dsphere states that you only have to name a permanent when it enters the battlefield.

ElyrionX

Detention Sphere is an enchantment with a targeted triggered ability. The target is chosen when the trigger occurs, which is after it enters the battlefield. Since it's a triggered ability, you can respond to it, just like anything on the stack, and crack your elixir. On trying to resolve, the ability will have no legal targets and will be countered.

Thanks. This is what I was looking for.

raiot

Has this been posted?

Dragon_Throne_of_Takir.jpg

Legendary Artifact - Equipment
Equipped creature has defender and “2, T: Other creatures you control gain trample and get +X/+X until end of turn, where X is this creature’s power.”
Equip 3
"What once soared high above Tarkir is now reduced to a seat."

Mothership article about past development for wedges.

Of note, Khans will contain a card that costs XXBBBB. Probably a Surtai card, and that probably means either their mechanic has an alternate cost or they have a cost reduction mechanic (hint hint). Or maybe it isn't necessarily tied into a clan mechanic, who knows.

EDIT: OK seriously, how did we both decide to post about the same article two hours after it was put up?

Angry Grimace

Yeah. If not, the only thing I could come up with was "Destroy all but X Creatures" (a harder to cast Damnation with some upside)

Its gotta be delve and something like "put X 2/2 zombies into play."

Im struggling to think of an effect that actually would be standard-playable at that cost, even with Delve.

All I can think of is a one-sided Death Cloud. Maybe without the land sacrifice.

Angry Grimace

Im struggling to think of an effect that actually would be standard-playable at that cost, even with Delve.

All I can think of is a one-sided Death Cloud. Maybe without the land sacrifice.

Return X target creatures from your graveyard to the battlefield, perhaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom