• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigkrev

BwVRbjpCEAA5Ocn.jpg

Crocodile

• Outlast just had to be a sorcery :/ Probably for complexity concerns on commons but still a bummer.
  • Delve is back but that's not unexpected. Good news for the Graveyard Cube I'm building but this card seems weaker than Tombstalker
  • Charms coming back were obvious due the the wedge-ness + the gather update. This charm seems really strong O_O
  • Still waiting to see Sarkhan

Usually stuff gets revealed midway through.

There are only 2 PWs in this set. Hence, why they're not going to reveal them today.

Source?

alternade

So it seems like the collection I have is not particularly valuable, although I can't say I'm surprised. I may as well keep it then, or perhaps give it to my local card shop to distribute to players.

If your willing to part ways with it, I would be happy to take it off your hands. Plenty of EDH stuff i could use. I live in the states.

Well, we got delve. Considering how similar the two are, I'm surprised we got Necropolis Fiend instead of Tombstalker. Anyway, a Death Rattle reprint seems unlikely, given that there's no reason for Sultai to want to spare green creatures exclusively, but a Logic Knot reprint seems like a shoo-in.

Outlast is a bit boring, but it's odd how it's a keyword ability that requires tapping to use. I do think it could be interesting to play with, though. Also, it's odd how Herald of Anafenza produces white warrior tokens, given that white tokens are usually soldiers and it's red that produces the warriors. Plus, the Herald is a soldier that produces warriors.

Sultai Charm looks pretty good.

alternade

I guess my biggest issues with delve is that it seems a one trick pony mechanic. How much are you ever going to have in your graveyard to keep using it really?

I love the new legendary and even more that it doesn't have to hit the player to cast. So if you cast a planeswalker, do you have to wait until the 2nd main phase to activate it?

Other spoiled cards:
635450305805320598.jpg

635450304293770130.jpg

635450304277051479.jpg

635450302322312599.jpg

Mardu Skullhunter seems pretty good. Even if your attacking guy is destroyed, you get to make your opponent discard a card. Temur Ascendency seems good. Duneblast is decent, and is flavorfully interesting. As for Narset, I'm glad she has low stats and a high cost given those abilities.

I guess my biggest issues with delve is that it seems a one trick pony mechanic. How much are you ever going to have in your graveyard to keep using it really?

I love the new legendary and even more that it doesn't have to hit the player to cast. So if you cast a planeswalker, do you have to wait until the 2nd main phase to activate it?

It doesn't change timing restrictions. You reveal the walker but can't cast it until second main.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Outlast just had to be a sorcery :/ Probably for complexity concerns on commons but still a bummer.
\

They don't like doing mechanics like Outlast at instant speed because the answer to "when should I activate this ability?" is always "in combat after stuff has been declared". Same issue with Equip. It actually leads to less variability in use, so the thinking goes, while you have to actually think about when to use sorcery speed abilities

kirblar

Watch the RUG mechanic be fight.
They don't like doing mechanics like Outlast at instant speed because the answer to "when should I activate this ability?" is always "in combat after stuff has been declared". Same issue with Equip. It actually leads to less variability in use, so the thinking goes, while you have to actually think about when to use sorcery speed abilities
It makes games take longer since everyone has to constantly update combat math/potential in their head.

Is anybody else having the worst time connecting the khans to their respective colors? Since each wedge can belong to two khans but only actually corresponds to one shit is really confusing.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
This is going to be a very slow standard, isn't it?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
"We're worried Standard might speed up too much once Revelation rotates.

So we made an entire block slow to compensate."

Yeef

Is anybody else having the worst time connecting the khans to their respective colors? Since each wedge can belong to two khans but only actually corresponds to one shit is really confusing.
Each Khan has it's own wedge. Since each Khan is all 3 colors, I'm not sure what you mean.

Each clan is its base color, the color before it (counter-clockwise from it) and the enemy of those two colors.

sf39_backOfCard.jpg

White - Abzan (green, black)
Blue - Jeskai (white, red)
Black - Sultai (blue, green)
Red - Mardu (black, white)
Green - Temur (red, blue)

For example, Temur Ascendancy is RUG. If they had done like Shards did and made the central color the opposite of the ally pair, it would have been obvious that Temur was U. But since they didn't, I am having the worst time remembering if Temur is supposed to be RG RU or GR GU going by name alone. I mixed khans up at least three times trying to describe the khan mechanics to a friend.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Keep in mind that the thing about Khans is its super weird structure. What we've seen of this set so far might be slow, but if sets 2 and 3 are taking more radical turns than usual for a block who knows how it will end up

kirblar

I do think, given the enemy painlands in the core set, that the allied pair is going to get axed. They've never done a large "enemy" set - AVR did 3/5ths of one.

Crocodile

For all the years I can remember following the PAX PRIME Magic party, this has had to have had the worst set of spoilers so far. There's supposed to be more tonight right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom