• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

f0rk

Makes cutting the combo in RUG Twin even more inviting. Very good in Goyf stand offs.

Also it's another quite obvious Elspeth hate card.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";128977670]Doesn't it only prevent damage from one soldier token?[/QUOTE]
yes, also is a bombo against Valakut, etc

It's another card that doesn't really feel rare even if the card will win games in limited.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
My favorite limited bomb from the last few sets was still Harness by Force. So much fun to take a board state stacked against you and just win out of nowhere.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
en_x4p59deuyk.png

Full cycle of functional refuge reprints:

en_fg237t67ee.png

en_sngrjqi8kp.png

en_uvhggfnjds.png

and BOOM

en_1zoro0dvow.png

The uncommon is easily the best card. I would have liked it at Rare.

Angry Grimace

Murderous Cut is busted. Instant speed removal that gets better as the game goes. Just stupid good.

bigkrev

Pearl Lake is a really cool piece of art wasted on a boring bulk Mythic

Glad to see we are getting all 10 at common. For the sake of complexity, they are easier to use than guildgates when building decks/teaching new players (lacking the Gate type), and it's always nice to have another enemy colored dual land for 2 color EDH decks. And while I don't really play the format anymore (since selling out of MTGO), these are probably really good for Pauper as well

Angry Grimace

Pearl Lake is a really cool piece of art wasted on a boring bulk Mythic

Glad to see we are getting all 10 at common. For the sake of complexity, they are easier to use than guildgates when building decks/teaching new players (lacking the Gate type), and it's always nice to have another enemy colored dual land for 2 color EDH decks.

They're mostly just there for keeping mana good in limited. You'd probably stick to scrylands if you are cool with ETBT lands.

bigkrev

They're mostly just there for keeping mana good in limited. You'd probably stick to scrylands if you are cool with ETBT lands.

I was talking from a Pauper/ new player (as little complexity as possible) type thing. They will make as much impact on standard as the Guildgates, which is to say that some 2 color decks will want some number of them to be dual lands 9-12.

OnPoint

God, I wish I didn't hate the post-Urza's basic land treatment of a giant symbol, because those lands look spectacular.

Also, as mentioned in that piece, there is at least 1 piece of art for each of the clans among the basics- so you can customize a draft deck with the "proper" choices if you want.
I really wish they'd just full art basics forever.

ultron87

Referring to a "mana pool" is probably more confusing than no text at all since how land works is literally the first or second thing you learn when you play Magic.

bigkrev

Referring to a "mana pool" is probably more confusing than no text at all since how land works is literally the first or second thing you learn when you play Magic.

But they print stuff like Elvish Mystic in the base set at common, using the term mana pool. It's just a strange inconsistencyto me.

Having that concise text on lands makes them seem so grand and ominous. New lands just having the mana symbol is tasteless. The aesthetic of MTG has changed a lot, and not entirely for the better.

Edit: some of the art there is beautiful.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Having that concise text on lands makes them seem so grand and ominous. New lands just having the mana symbol is tasteless. The aesthetic of MTG has changed a lot, and not entirely for the better.

Edit: some of the art there is beautiful.

The bevelled 3D effect on the mana symbols is eye-gougingly lame.

Angry Grimace

kuX86mq.jpg

Adamant Negation, U

Instant

Counter target non-creature spell unless its controller pays 1.

Ferocious - Counter it instead.

red13th

If they added "basic land remainder text" it would have to be in parenthesis and italics like Mistveil Plains. It would look crappy.

Love those basics btw!

ultron87

But they print stuff like Elvish Mystic in the base set at common, using the term mana pool. It's just a strange inconsistencyto me.

They obviously have to use it somewhere, but if you're trying to limit the "panic from weird terms" factor in someone's first game of Magic it makes sense to have it on one card in a single color than on cards that everyone will see in every game. Someone playing a red deck might have to learn what a direct damage spell does and how firebreathing works, but they can save the green section of the lessons which would include Elvish Mystic and Giatn Growth for a later game.

Also, the text isn't useful basically ever, and I think the mana symbol looks nice.

f0rk

Reading Chapin's article about Temur today has me excited. Made me realise how awkward Elvish Mystic is on the mana though, forest into Mystic doesn't actually let you cast many of the new 3 drops. Caryatid and Rattleclaw Mystic on turn 2 seem more consistently useful.

Firemind

Reading Chapin's article about Temur today has me excited. Made me realise how awkward Elvish Mystic is on the mana though, forest into Mystic doesn't actually let you cast many of the new 3 drops. Caryatid and Rattleclaw Mystic on turn 2 seem more consistently useful.

Goblin Rabblemaster, bro!

Temur Chord is definitely going to be a thing.

This card shines against the Red deck. The lifegain is huge, and the 5 toughness means they need at minimum 2 burn spells to kill it

Fated Conflagration!

Angry Grimace

If the format is as slow as I'm imagining, I think Caryatid and Rattleclaw are going to be the choice mana dorks.

f0rk

There's also Generator Servant.

I still think people will play Elvish Mystic since t2 Courser is pretty huge.

Yeah it's OK in some decks, probably the more Planeswalker focused ones. But I'd rather play some creature tempo / beats as that is more fun for me, and thats where I can see running into mana issues

Firemind

Why? Aggro thrives on consistency. By making your deck three colours with tapped lands is asking for trouble.

Edit: that said I'm going to be greedy and try RUG tempo. ;)

f0rk

Why? Aggro thrives on consistency. By making your deck three colours with tapped lands is asking for trouble.
It's more midrange. Temur Ascendancy, Savage Knuckleblade and Temur Charm all require 3 colours so I don't think it's even worth trying to cast them on turn 2. Knuckleblade is good as a 4 drop anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom