• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Having seen the whole set, I'm pretty positive on it I think. A lot of the rares they previewed were pretty crap, but I can't remember the last time I saw a spread of commons and uncommons that I found this interesting, at least from a design and limited perspective

RB ramp to him. Generator servant(s) get him out turn 4. It's Christmasland, I know. But he also shuts off late game chord decks. I see him at a possible sideboard card or fitting into his own BGx ramp deck. He was terrible before but now he is at least borderline playable with fetches in. He makes them dead draws when he's on board.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Just realized that Nissa's first ability combos pretty well with Fetchlands. Removal? Combat tricks while blocking? Just crack the Fetch in response and replace the land.

Firemind

You say that now; I get the feeling that you'll be thinking differently when you go to blocks and realize that anything blows you out.
I've drafted and had success with a lot of decks with less than 14 creatures before and they all had something in common: they had bombs and removal. Drafting a Prowess-focused deck is like drafting Delvers; or Wingsteed Riders, except the +1/+1 is permanent, and you were still screwed if the opponent had removal and you didn't have God's Willing.

Having seen the whole set, I'm pretty positive on it I think. A lot of the rares they previewed were pretty crap, but I can't remember the last time I saw a spread of commons and uncommons that I found this interesting, at least from a design and limited perspective

Yeah, I think that my previous reservations were unfounded. The set looks like it's going to be pretty crazy to draft, and one that's really going to reward skill and studying the format.

sgjackson

Yeah, I think that my previous reservations were unfounded. The set looks like it's going to be pretty crazy to draft, and one that's really going to reward skill and studying the format.

It definitely seems like this is a set that rewards building a thematic deck over stapling together goodstuff, which usually makes people like limited formats more.

Yeah, damn Temur seems like it might be more consistent in Sealed. Abzan would be absolutely nuts if you get the support for it, but its getting that support...

I actually don't think Abzan is a bad choice, given that most of the outlast cards pass the vanilla test. You're not going to get the nut counter deck but with a seeded pack it's conceivable to get a couple of relevant outlast guys on the field often, which I think is enough to make the effect good in limited.

I get the feeling that in sealed you're going to play what your fixing lets you play.

I'm assuming the prerelease packs are going to have enough relevant fixing (guessing allied refuge, triland, and banner) to enable your clan choice, but this is definitely a thing if I'm wrong, in normal sealed, and/or if you open badly.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Some guy lost to a bug on MTGO in the second round of a Swiss tournament and I walked him through how to request reimbursement. Of course his last thing was "Thanks for your help. BTW you were going to lose." (game was far from over).

Some guy lost to a bug on MTGO in the second round of a Swiss tournament and I walked him through how to request reimbursement. Of course his last thing was "Thanks for your help. BTW you were going to lose." (game was far from over).

In Marshall Sutcliffe's latest video on MTGO Academy, his opponent in the finals put him on the play in game three. Marshall was playing RW aggro and promptly crushed him. Of course his opponent had to tell him how lucky he was before conceding.

OnPoint

In Marshall Sutcliffe's latest video on MTGO Academy, his opponent in the finals put him on the play in game three. Marshall was playing RW aggro and promptly crushed him. Of course his opponent had to tell him how lucky he was before conceding.

I just say "lol GG" when that happens. People are just bad sports.

AMUSIX

If you're hardlining at FNM, which is one step above living-room casual, you end up coming across as a dick. It's like playing chess against someone who holds you to the touch-move rule, or playing tennis on someone who screams at every potential foot fault. It's a very simple, very effective way to ruin the enjoyment of the game for someone.

OnPoint

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";129715970]I just bought a playset of Siege Rhinos, Crater's Claws, Abzan Charms and a Sorin for less than $30. All that's left are fetchlands and my decks are done. I'll just trade for those.[/QUOTE]

What? Where?

sgjackson

?
No it isn't, and I say this as an Indian. It wouldn't make sense anyway, because the word for a female rakshasa is "rakshasi", and if the last syllable was silent, they would be indistinguishable.

Maro tumblr post

Third google result

Where I got it from. More than happy to admit I'm wrong though.

Edit: Lmao I just noticed your comment on the post. It seems like most official pronunciation guides end with ə so I'm deferring to you on this one. Linguistics adventures.

Maro tumblr post

Third google result

Where I got it from. More than happy to admit I'm wrong though.

Edit: Lmao I just noticed your comment on the post. It seems like most official pronunciation guides end with ə so I'm deferring to you on this one. Linguistics adventures.

Indian pronunciations greatly vary from language to language (remember that there are over a hundred different Indian languages), and the official English pronunciation of rakshasa appears to pronounce the "a" at the end. I think it was a bad move of MaRo to confuse the issue like this.

Firemind

Hold on. Isn't Genesis Hydra basically a Bloodbraid Elf that doesn't have haste and can only hit permanents, but can grow much larger?

I wonder if it'll spike soon...

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Hold on. Isn't Genesis Hydra basically a Bloodbraid Elf that doesn't have haste and can only hit permanents, but can grow much larger?

Genesis Hydra is also in the clash pack, I think. I doubt it can really get that expensive given the supply of those things.

Genesis Hydra is also in the clash pack, I think. I doubt it can really get that expensive given the supply of those things.

I don't know, man. Umezawa's Jitte, Stoneforge Mystic, and Courser of Kruphix are evidence to the contrary.

I think I'm gonna start stocking up on Genesis Hydras.

Angry Grimace

I don't know, man. Umezawa's Jitte, Stoneforge Mystic, and Courser of Kruphix are evidence to the contrary.

I think I'm gonna start stocking up on Genesis Hydras.

But Courser is in the same pack. I know God's Beard really likes Genesis Hydra, but I've never been a huge fan of a card that's always a bit behind curve. Although Mistcutter and Genesis Hydra might be interesting choices in that Abzan Counters deck I was looking at.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Bloodbraid Elf won't ever miss though, you cast Genesis Hydra for 4 (BBE's CMC) and you only get to look at 2 cards, you could easily whiff.

Image.ashx
+
en_xt9pgahvlh.png

EDIT: Explanation for lack of ally-colored cards
sniffnoy said: Why were there no ally-color cards in KTK, like the enemy-color cycle in Shards of Alara? (Tidehollow Sculler etc.)

We had some originally but they led to players drafting decks that couldn’t be properly built.

Which ties into this
yougotmycoat said: I'm a mostly constructed player who's thinking of getting into the limited scene, so first of all thanks for making Khans look very fun for limited and second do you have any advice for fairly new limited players in Khans?

When drafting Khans of Tarkir, start by drafting an enemy pair and then wait to see which of the two colors is open before picking your wedge. If you draft an ally color pair first, you will only have one wedge to choose.

Kacar

Decided to go to FNM for the first time in a month. I had to go to a new store since the one I usually go to just closed recently. I go in and recognize a guy behind the counter who worked at my old LGS and talk to him and find out where the sign in sheet is. I sign it and wait for pairings. The sheet comes out about 30 minutes later and I'm nowhere on it. So I ask the guy and he says it was a mistake but there was nothing he could do since there were even players unless I wanted to take a loss and wait the whole round, so I just left.

Total bummer.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Decided to go to FNM for the first time in a month. I had to go to a new store since the one I usually go to just closed recently. I go in and recognize a guy behind the counter who worked at my old LGS and talk to him and find out where the sign in sheet is. I sign it and wait for pairings. The sheet comes out about 30 minutes later and I'm nowhere on it. So I ask the guy and he says it was a mistake but there was nothing he could do since there were even players unless I wanted to take a loss and wait the whole round, so I just left.

Total bummer.

Store should've given you a bye at the very least, not a loss. Or, the employee could've joined to even up the numbers. Lame.

kirblar

Total bummer.
They're idiots, add you in w/ a bye- this is on them.

Kacar

It wasn't the loss that upset me it was just the waiting. Which I know is always a risk at FNM. But they were being kinda rude so I left. Which I had heard rumours about it being a bad LGS with bad managers and really jacked up prices.

I also just havnt been going since I hate my only standard deck (mono black devotion) and am just waiting for the rotation. I just need to find my old LGS with the chill people. Or rather where the people went.

Kipe

Total bummer.

That's bs. He could've corrected it and reprinted the pairings. Avoid that store if you can.

Firemind

yougotmycoat said: I'm a mostly constructed player who's thinking of getting into the limited scene, so first of all thanks for making Khans look very fun for limited and second do you have any advice for fairly new limited players in Khans?

When drafting Khans of Tarkir, start by drafting an enemy pair and then wait to see which of the two colors is open before picking your wedge. If you draft an ally color pair first, you will only have one wedge to choose.

After looking at the spoiler, white seems insane. Like, every single outlast is good. They have a bunch of fliers, big butts and decent removal. I wouldn't mind pairing it with blue. Gold cards be damned. Blue has a bunch of decent fliers and tempo cards, like Crippling Chill, Force Away, Singing Bell-Strike at common. Scaldskin is still a 2/2 flier for four and can be splashed for the ability. White/Black is probably the safer bet and allows you to play four gold cards and splash either mardu or abzan. Green is okay, but seems a little slow. They can't really deal with fliers. Even something like Longshot Squad takes a turn to be able to block fliers (unless you have other creatures with +1/+1 counters). Red seems fast, but is otherwise unexciting (will probably still first pick Arc Lightning).

Zocano

I'm pretty stingy and hate dropping $100+ at a single time so I culled most of what I thought I was going to get.

Pretty much cut out anything Temur since it just seems to "ramp into fatty" for me and left out Butchers and Bloodsoaked Champions for later (will probably pick them up at my LGS on game day). And probably Anefenza but I dunno.

What I did end up getting:

2x Sarkhan
4x Sidisi
2x Empty the Pits
4x Zurgo

4x Necropolis Fiend
4x Crackling Doom
4x Ghostfire Blade
2x Villainous Wealth
2x End Hostilities

4x Abzan Ascendancy
4x Sultai Ascendancy
4x Mardu Ascendancy

4x Sultai Charm
4x Murderous Cuts

Dunno why I'm bothering getting all the cards with white in them. I've been pretty staunch against playing white since the playstyle is just really "meh" for me. But at least the ones I did grab seem interesting enough and can be worked into sac engines.

The only Ajani, Mentor of Heroes I've been able to find locally was foil, so I begrudgingly paid the $35 for it to sit in my sideboard. 3 weeks later and the chance to side it in against U/W finally arises.

The guy taps out to counter my wurm token at his EoT, so I untap, slip Ajani into play, and pretty much hand him the reins. Over the next 4 turns, he draws me 2 Voice of Resurgence, a Boon Satyr, and finally a Fleecemane Lion with monster mana open. Before leaving, he dumps 3 counters on the kitty before digging for his little brother who high fives him as they pass each other at the door. Little Ajani throws a perfect 7/7 double-striking spiral at my opponent who sits there looking like the Monopoly man, pockets turned inside out like he just opened a bad community chest.

Ajani, Mentor of Heroes is fucking badass. I'm off to buy a pop figure.

2-1 in the draft. Feel free to make fun of me Grimace :-(

Swings for lethal with his seraph of the masses, plummet is the top card of my library :-( :-( :-(

ElyrionX

Now that rotation is almost upon us and prices are tanking hard, what are some good Modern cards from the rotating sets to pick up? I got the following buylist for now:

Shocklands
Voice of Resurgence
Archangel of Thune
Boros Charm
Scavenging Ooze

What else am I missing?

bigkrev

Kirblar, please be nice and post your pre-order list so I have a guide, lol

I have 70 dollars of Amazon credit from CC rewards I'm blowing on Pre-orders.

I finally got to pull off my combo in EDH yesterday, it felt good:

knPAagb.jpg
G01RZ4n.jpg

It was nice to have something fun happen after the worst FNM ever. I swear, the gods of the coast have decreed that I not be able to defeat mono-blue in the finals of a tournament. Double verdict in my hand at the end of game one and never draw a fourth land despite keeping a 3-land hand. Game two I lose the game with 4 counters in my hand and 7 lands on the field and only one blue source. I didn't even know that was possible with 18 blue sources in my deck.

It's variance and I accept that as a part of magic, but man. I'm not saying I would have won because I have no idea, but losing like that is sad times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom