• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Oh yeah even if you only delve for 4 that's a damn good effect for 2UU

I mean, the only other instant-speed drawing effect that was around still was Jace's Ingenuity, which cost 3UU for Draw 3. If you Delve at the same cost, would you rather draw 3 random cards from your deck, or draw 2 specific cards out of your top 7? Its insane.

hordelingoutburst.jpg

Oh wow, this is good.

Firemind

Tokens should have had haste. :3

Still pretty nice for the cost. Possibly in tandem with convoke.

It also does six damage with purphoros. :lol

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Tokens should have had haste. :3

Still pretty nice for the cost. Possibly in tandem with convoke.

It also does six damage with purphoros. :lol

Attack, Howl of the Horde, Cast Outburst, ask if they take 18.

sgjackson

I didn't really start playing until the end of Scars block and wasn't playing much during RTR, so Khans is going to be my first experience drafting a multicolored set. How is everyone going to value fixing going in? As a (largely mediocre) drafter, I feel like I can evaluate cards in a vacuum decently enough, but the decision on whether to pick a good card or a relevant fixer is foreign to me. Since I assume the aim is to draft three-color decks, I'd assume relevant colored refuges/trilands are valued pretty highly, but I'm curious as to everyone's input on this as we approach Khans limited.

kirblar

I didn't really start playing until the end of Scars block and wasn't playing much during RTR, so Khans is going to be my first experience drafting a multicolored set. How is everyone going to value fixing going in? As a (largely mediocre) drafter, I feel like I can evaluate cards in a vacuum decently enough, but the decision on whether to pick a good card or a relevant fixer is foreign to me. Since I assume the aim is to draft three-color decks, I'd assume relevant colored refuges/trilands are valued pretty highly, but I'm curious as to everyone's input on this as we approach Khans limited.
There is a lot of fixing. Possibly the most I've ever seen in a single set. Don't pick it up super early, imo, go for good cards first then fix as needed once you know what you need.

On the last day of KhansMas the Wizards gave to me:

12 Zombie Tokens
11 Direct Damage
10 tapped dual lands
9 cards in graveyards
8 mana recalls
7 Mana wraths
6-mana hexproof
5 Golden Clans
4-power bear tokens
3-mana charms
2 Bird Soldiers
And a mythic wall that's a damn tree.

Zocano

The new bro is effectively a reprint w/ upside.

I assume you're talking about Necropolis Fiend so,

Eeeeh. I would prefer the 1 extra power and 1 less mana. The tap effect just doesn't feel like it'll work well since decks using the graveyard will probably eat it up using just casting the fiend and murderous cut. Also treasure cruise.

I feel like Empty the Pits *could* be okay but it sucks that they enter tapped |: only effective at the end of their turn and you'd have to keep a ton of mana and graveyard open.

Edit:

Also dunno if I should just get Clever Impersonator now or not. I feel like it will just go up like Nissa did and sit at $40.

Goblin Con-troll

Instants and Sorceries(24)
  • 4x Magma Jet
  • 4x Searing Blood
  • 4x Lightning Strike
  • 4x Stoke the Flames
  • 4x Howl of the Horde
  • 4x Hordeling Outburst

Enchantments(5)
  • 1x Hammer of Purphoros
  • 4x Goblinslide

Creatures(7)
  • 4x Goblin Rabblemaster
  • 3x Purphoros, God of the Forge

Land(24)
  • 20x Mountain
  • 4x Radiant Fountain

MjFrancis

monasteryswiftspear.jpg

I lose one point of damage on a T1 Swiftspear compared to a Goblin Guide, but after that Burn is casting one-drop spells all day long anyways so this will usually be a 2/3 after T1. So ideally it does five points of damage by T3 compared to Goblin Guide's ideal of six. It's a little more conditional but I'm not trading card advantage for damage. Plus a playset of these will be about $96 cheaper.

I'm happier with this than with a Goblin Guide reprint. I guess I'm going Jeskai at the prerelease.

kirblar

The Prowess creatures are going to look like complete ass until people get whomped by them, I think. It feels like the Jeskai deck (in constructed) is designed explicitly to run on only 3 lands.

ElyrionX

I did it, guys. I took the plunge and built my first Modern deck yesterday; UWR Midrange adapted from the GP Kobe Top 8 deck. I only have one Clique so I replaced two of them with Snapcaster and Keranos.

Yeah, the TO isn't the problem here. Judges need to be paid, full stop. This compromise between judging being simultaneously a volunteer and compensated role is silly.

bigkrev

Yeah, the TO isn't the problem here. Judges need to be paid, full stop. This compromise between judging being simultaneously a volunteer and compensated role is silly.

Legion were already charging 50 dollars for constructed GPs, when other TOs were charging 40 and adding stuff in (Legion is stingy with playmats, ect).

Like, if you are going to charge more than 40 dollars, you damn well better be providing high end service. Look at what SCG is doing for GP NJ. EVERYONE gets a Mat, Sleves, and a box http://www.magicgp.com/GPNewJersey/ . That makes it worth the extra 10 dollars.

Legion were already charging 50 dollars for constructed GPs, when other TOs were charging 40 and adding stuff in (Legion is stingy with playmats, ect).

Like, if you are going to charge more than 40 dollars, you damn well better be providing high end service. Look at what SCG is doing for GP NJ. EVERYONE gets a Mat, Sleves, and a box http://www.magicgp.com/GPNewJersey/ . That makes it worth the extra 10 dollars.

Well, I'm really just saying that raising the price because WotC stopped giving judges compensation isn't something you blame the TO for, but WotC.

ultron87

I think that compromise being so awkward is the reason Wizards is no longer doing the foils. GPs were already paying judges something for their work either in cash or in booster boxes, but the foils were just an extra thing to make it actually worth it. So now each TO is expected to pay their judges fully instead of it being this weird half and half thing. It also means that a judge's pay isn't partially based on the somewhat random value of the foils that Wizards happens to decide to be foils for that period.

It is probably cleaner for everyone in the long run but obviously if WOTC was going to raise a TOs cost by that much they should have found some way to defray those costs for the TO so that it doesn't make these tournaments even more expensive.

I used to be a judge and yeah, that whole situation is just fucked. For the amount of work you need to do, the pay is abysmal. It's the main reason I stopped doing it.

Updated version of the Abzan Midrange I'm testing:

Creatures(19):
  • 4x Elvish Mystic
  • 4x Sylvan Caryatid
  • 4x Courser of Kruphix
  • 4x Siege Rhino
  • 3x Genesis Hydra

Planeswalkers(9):
  • 1x Sorin, Solemn Visitor
  • 2x Ajani, Mentor of Heroes
  • 2x Nissa Worldwaker
  • 1x Liliana Vess
  • 3x Elspeth, Sun's Champion

Spells(8):
  • 2x Thoughtseize
  • 2x Abzan Charm
  • 4x Banishing Light

Land(24):
  • 1x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
  • 4x Windswept Heath
  • 2x Mana Confluence
  • 4x Llanowar Wastes
  • 3x Caves of Koilos
  • 3x Temple of Plenty
  • 2x Temple of Silence
  • 4x Forest
  • 1x Plains

Sideboard(15):
  • 4x Mistcutter Hydra
  • 4x Nyx-Fleece Ram
  • 2x Drown in Sorrow
  • 2x Thoughtseize
  • 2x Plummet
  • 1x Stain the Mind

Lots of little changes here going on to make the deck more efficient. I've been playing with the deck for the past week constantly, and I've identified some problems that just had to be changed. The number one problem was curve. I had way too many 3-mana spells and a huge hole at 4. I spent too many games with an extra mana or two or not being able to play two cards when I needed to.

So I cut Brimaz, and with him a copy of Sorin and added a playset of Siege Rhino. Brimaz is an insane card that synergizes well with the rest of the deck, but he just wasn't coming out on or ahead of time. Also, this deck only wants creatures that either ramp or provide immediate value for the sake of Genesis Hydra, which Brimaz is weak at. My choices came down to Seige Rhino, which is a great trample body and significant immediate lifegain(because some draws we just hurt ourselves with land too much) or Wingmate Roc, which helps defend against the deck's weakness to flying and is a classic 2-for-1 value creature that also gains life. What it came down to was that the extra mana and the inconsistency of wingmate roc off of Genesis Hydra made the Rhino a better choice.

I moved Liliana from the sideboard into the mainboard. If she sticks around, chaining Genesis Hydras back to back is insane and will end every winnable game.

The other change is more slight, but I turned an orzhov painland into a temple. The deck loves having card advantage and even though I can't have too many tapped lands, the bonus of not taking as much pain from black sources helps a lot.

kirblar

They keep not remembering the lessons of Kamigawa- DROP THE REALLY WEIRD STUFF.

Also, someone in creative has a hard-on for Elks.

The Outlast ability appears to be supported through the set more than I thought it would. It seems that the cards that put counters on other cards might end up being very important, with the whole "+1/+1 counters matter" subtheme (see Incremental Growth, Armament Corps, etc).

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Hah so apparently they tried moving unmorphing to an activated ability in development but it gets really wonky with the rules. Its basically like trying to open a box with a crowbar thats inside the box

Matt Tabak put in quite a few hours of research and rules tweaking to try and get morph to work under the proposed rules set. The issue was that you had to reveal the morph to turn it face up, but then had to turn it right back down again and wait for the ability to resolve. A lot of people did the thing that felt natural, and left it face up with the ability resolved, but that was kind of misrepresenting the game state since the card was simply a vanilla 2/2 when it was face down. The comprehensive rules state that when revealing a card and putting an ability on the stack, the card should remain revealed until that ability finishes resolving. Which meant that what the cards wanted to do was somehow reveal themselves briefly to get a cost to the creature face up as a special action, then have a cost to turn themselves face up spliced onto the blank part of the card...which was about as unintuitive as you could possibly imagine. Making Magic cards ain't easy.

ultron87

I assume that the dragons all peaced out of existence because of Tarkir having loads of giant flying mantises that terrify forever.

Firemind

I get why there are elks, snakemen and giant mantises in the world of tarkir, but why vampires and why haven't they enslaved the human race?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom