• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
We could always drop the "the Gathering" part for later OTs, if the threads become an established presence there, or for Oath of the Gatewatch, but I think it makes sense to keep it for this first one.

charlequin said to put "Magic: the Gathering" in it, so we should probably do that and I don't think deleting "Battle For Zendikar" makes any sense either; the purpose of the thread is a BFZ release thread.

charlequin said to put "Magic: the Gathering" in it, so we should probably do that and I don't think deleting "Battle For Zendikar" makes any sense either; the purpose of the thread is a BFZ release thread.

I was saying that while the first thread would be "Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| whatever", it's possible that later threads could drop "the Gathering", thus becoming "Magic: Battle for Zendikar |OT| whatever". I'm agreeing that we should keep both "the Gathering" and "Battle for Zendikar" in the title of this first thread.

I'm still in the Cards against Eldrazi Camp, though length concerns.

It fits, so it's fine.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Hangarback Walker is a fucking devil of a card and the fact that it fits right into a deck with the other fucking devil-card (Siege Rhino) just makes things worse.

I just played a Hangarback Abzan deck with Evolutionary Leap mainboard and that deck was absolute hell to try and play through.

Jhriad

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";177701561]|OT|Ulamog Zendikar Wgah'nagl Fhtagn[/QUOTE]

I found this one to be pretty amusing. If I had to vote I'd probably just vote for 'Battle for Zendikar.'

Crocodile

I got my third Hangarback in a backdraft today after opening it in Pack 3 and playing with it in my deck. Card did a lot of work :p Was a bit awkward that it was by far the most valuable card in the pool but not the one I wanted the most so I was kind of in the position where I had to take it even if I didn't NEED another copy right now.

They completely forgot how f'n good Sprouting Thrinax was, and this is in many ways better.

You say many ways as if it isn't better in every practical way aside from the fact you can't pay 3 mana and have it be a 3/3 as soon as it hits the board :p

Finally decided to make a second EDH deck. Going with Vendilion Clique because I already happen to have all the good blue legacy cards and counters are good against my girlfriend's absurd turn 4 Rafiq combo kills.

Just ordered a pile of 25 cent cards to fill out the bulk of the deck and it'll be all set when they arrive :p

Hangarback Walker fits into every deck.

Hangarback is the reason why instead of running 3-4x Valorous Stances in my White Weenie I'm running Devouring Light. Nothing like only paying one mana for an exile effect. Still miffed I sold mine for $14 right after the PT because "It's gonna be a fad creature like Dragonlord Ojutai", I told myself.

ironmang

Can't wait to see that Affinity decklist that's 9-0 at the modern open. Played in a small 4 rounder locally with only 1 hangarback and was incredibly impressed with how good it was every time I drew it. Helps a lot in these k-command fields where you have trouble getting anything to stick and keep attacking. Even if it gets killed right away and you only get the 1/1 thopter it feels a lot better than spending a turn casting overseer or master of etherium and getting at most a counter on ravager out of it.

Man, some people get really focused on certain things while playing. Some dude just got super tilted and conceded to me.

It was his turn 4 on the play and he'd been making land drops every turn as well as played a Seeker of the Way on 2. All I had on board was a pair of Satyr Wayfinders, one of which whiffed. Then he starts complaining about how he can't catch a break with his hand and just says ggs.

...my hand was all lands and a Stratus Dancer. It didn't even beat his board.

There's a moral to this story, don't freak out playing Magic.

traveler

Not Wario
11150169_937009743026448_3372404740034877947_n.png

Deep-Sea Scavenger UB

Creature - Eldrazi Drone
Devoid (This creature has no color)

Ingest (Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, that player exiles the top card of his or her library.)

Deathtouch

3UB: Draw a card. Each opponent exiles the top card of his or her library.

1/1

---

Seems... pretty slow to me. 2 mana ground stall into late game inefficent draw engine with exile setup doesn't seem totally useless, though. I don't think it deserves a rare slot, in any case.

Angry Grimace

That's the crappiest Baleful Strix ever.

Or a crappier Azure Mage.

11150169_937009743026448_3372404740034877947_n.png

Deep-Sea Scavenger UB

Creature - Eldrazi Drone

Ingest (Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, that player exiles the top card of his or her library.)

Deathtouch

1/1

---

Seems... pretty slow to me. 2 mana ground stall into late game inefficent draw engine with exile setup doesn't seem totally useless, though. I don't think it deserves a rare slot, in any case.

This card is really good. It's no Baleful Strix, but it's good. It's pretty much gonna trade up against anything and it's exactly the kind of card you want to set up your Eldrazi. The ability is slow but mana sinks are a massive part of standard, especially if you're playing a grindy deck with 5-10 mana cards. Also, the implication is that you're playing this along Eldrazi Scions, so I'm sure that the ability will get activated more often than it would appear.

Hero

Grimace do you only judge cards in a vacuum or something? Like you consistently compare cards to other cards that are not even in the same format; which has some merit when you're talking about Legacy or Cube but all I've seen you do is whine about cards not being straight up better than cards than have already been made. Power creep is a thing and the game would be pretty bad if the design//development mentality was "We made a better version of this card before."

Azure Mage doesn't trade with Siege Rhino.

I agree with GB, it looks playable if UB exists

I mean, the only way you're losing value with this card is if you're running it out against mono red and you trade with a swiftspear or firey impulse, but if you're playing a deck that wants this you're probably gonna have a rough time against mono red anyway.

As for whether the deck exists, there's already a lot of good U/Bx cards like Jace and Murderous Cut and with the new lands you can play any of the remaining 3 colors no problem. We already know about Ugin and Ulamog as finishers, what we need is for some good processors for the exiled cards to get spoiled and some solid non-green ramp spells(although I wouldn't be opposed to playing Sultai for another year). So far the Eldrazi deck doesn't have many great mid-game tools.

Angry Grimace

Grimace do you only judge cards in a vacuum or something? Like you consistently compare cards to other cards that are not even in the same format; which has some merit when you're talking about Legacy or Cube but all I've seen you do is whine about cards not being straight up better than cards than have already been made. Power creep is a thing and the game would be pretty bad if the design//development mentality was "We made a better version of this card before."
People make comparisons to previous cards because that's a base of knowledge people have as to whether a card of that type has been playable before. It is really not difficult to understand, actually.

As for this card, I'll eat a copy of Scavenger of the Depths if this is any good. The problem is that "this seems good in limited" isn't an useful or interesting statement because most rares are at least "good" in limited. This one isn't really a bomb either.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";177751604]I mean, the only way you're losing value with this card is if you're running it out against mono red and you trade with a swiftspear or firey impulse, but if you're playing a deck that wants this you're probably gonna have a rough time against mono red anyway.

As for whether the deck exists, there's already a lot of good U/Bx cards like Jace and Murderous Cut and with the new lands you can play any of the remaining 3 colors no problem. We already know about Ugin and Ulamog as finishers, what we need is for some good processors for the exiled cards to get spoiled and some solid non-green ramp spells(although I wouldn't be opposed to playing Sultai for another year). So far the Eldrazi deck doesn't have many great mid-game tools.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that probably has something to do with 4/5 of the set not being revealed

kirblar

Yeah, that probably has something to do with 4/5 of the set not being revealed
When sets start bad, they tend to end bad, because they lead off with the splashiest stuff.

We'll see after the first week of previews, but I'm worried.

The Eldrazi mechanic is parasitic as fuck.

Angry Grimace

When sets start bad, they tend to end bad, because they lead off with the splashiest stuff.

We'll see after the first week of previews, but I'm worried.

The Eldrazi mechanic is parasitic as fuck.

The second week never has anything good. The Processors are the thing that's interesting to me.

Hero

People make comparisons to previous cards because that's a base of knowledge people have as to whether a card of that type has been playable before. It is really not difficult to understand, actually.

As for this card, I'll eat a copy of Scavenger of the Depths if this is any good. The problem is that "this seems good in limited" isn't an useful or interesting statement because most rares are at least "good" in limited. This one isn't really a bomb either.

It is difficult to understand because these cards will matter in context of what other cards are going to be in the set to make up the standard environment, unless like I said you are talking about Legacy or Cube. I'm not even saying this card is good, again because I don't know what else is going to be around if it will be supported or not.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";177752432]Which is exactly why I said we're waiting for them to get spoiled.[/QUOTE]

There have been plenty of decks that have played Azure Mage before, sure.

f0rk

hahaha that Thoughtseize play on SCG

Abzan turn 1 on the play thoughtseizes Grixis Twin, picks up Inquisition and clearly thinks about it but eventually takes Snapcaster. Twin then casts Inquisition on his turn and reveals 3 lands Loxidon Smiter

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Abzan turn 1 on the play thoughtseizes Grixis Twin, picks up Inquisition and clearly thinks about it but eventually takes Snapcaster. Twin then casts Inquisition on his turn and reveals 3 lands Loxidon Smiter

shiiiit. Those are some mind games son

Toxi

Banned
As for this card, I'll eat a copy of Scavenger of the Depths if this is any good.
Bookmarked.

I agree it doesn't look very good.

Beautiful.

kirblar

Every year complaints about the WMCQ, every year nothing happens because making the big country's teams worse is intentional.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
vapedrefresh asked: How many planeswalkers can we expect in total for BFZ block?

The default is five. So you can expect five. Will we deviate from the default? You’ll game to wait and see.
Six in BFZ then, there's literally no reason to play coy with a piece of information like this

Deep-Sea Scavenger UB

Creature - Eldrazi Drone

Deathtouch

1/1

---

Cards like this make me wonder how slow WotC thinks the format will be.

It's really hard to tell right now if Deep-Sea Scavenger is good beyond being a 2-mana Typhoid Rats that requires blue.

Barring any better suggestions, the OT title will be "Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Cards Against Eldrazi". I'll make it in about four hours.

Angry Grimace

Hangarback is the reason why instead of running 3-4x Valorous Stances in my White Weenie I'm running Devouring Light. Nothing like only paying one mana for an exile effect. Still miffed I sold mine for $14 right after the PT because "It's gonna be a fad creature like Dragonlord Ojutai", I told myself.

Ojutai is pretty generically awesome. The only reason its not better is because Abzan pushes everything else out.

Angry Grimace

seems I have some new hits on my pucatrade list

lScrkKY.png

El Topo

Plenty of abilities, useful late-game ability, cheap CC. Might have been a bit of an overkill for an uncommon. Doesn't seem great at first glance, but we'll see. At the very least repeatable draw is nice in limited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom